Lee Joon Gi 이준기 | [Drama 2023] "Arthdal Chronicles: The Sword of Aramoon"

Admin

3 hours ago, missmaudy said:

He did mention DOTS & Goblin. Could there be reasons why he mentioned those two dramas? I read over Soompi about Kim Eun Sook new drama Mr Sunshine, a story about a soldier during pre-Japanese occupation.

KES said "I do have someone in mind. Since the character's narrative is strong and has the large breadth of emotions, the role needs to be played by someone who is very good at acting." Sounds like she is aiming for more substance in her next drama. 

Great actors with strong narrative skill who can deliver wide breadth of emotions--- I wonder if she was describing LJG. 

What what what what??????  When when when when??????  

Here is the link to the Soompi article: https://www.soompi.com/2017/05/28/goblin-descendants-sun-screenwriter-kim-eun-sook-beginning-stages-new-drama/

Screenwriter Kim Eun Sook, who has written successful dramas like “Goblin,” “Descendants of the Sun,” “Lovers in Paris,” “Secret Garden,” and “Heirs,” has decided upon her next project.

The drama, which is tentatively titled “Mr. Sunshine,” is set in the early 1900s, before the Japanese occupation of Korea (1910-1945). The drama will tell the story of a Korean man who adopts a new identity as a solider in the United States army after embarking on a battleship from Korea during the United States expedition to Korea in 1871. The man returns to Joseon after being stationed there and falls in love with a woman from an aristocratic family.

Recently, Kim Eun Sook stated, “This is a topic I’ve been wanting to [write a drama about] for a while now. I created a project proposal for this drama a while back: a drama about not independence fighters but actual soldiers from that era. Although it’s not recorded anywhere in history, it’s something that we all need to know about.”

She talked about the difficulties of the drama and explained, “The drama is set in the era before the Japanese occupation of Korea but there are not many places that are representative of this era. So, a set needs to be built, which means that I need to write the script quickly.”

In terms of casting for the drama, Kim Eun Sook stated, “I do have someone in mind. Since the character’s narrative is strong and has a large breadth of emotions, the role needs to be played by someone who is very good at acting.”

Kim Eun Sook will be teaming up with PD Lee Eung Bok again, which is already heightening anticipation for the drama as the two have previously shown great teamwork together on “Goblin” and “Descendants of the Sun.”

“Mr. Sunshine” is currently slated to air in the first half of 2018.

Is Mr. Red Ginseng Mr. Sunshine?  

• Like 6

No lie, ever since I heard about KES' "Mr. Sunshine" project, I've high-key low-key wanted LJG to be in it. haha The character and setting seems like something he would do if the story/script is solid enough. (Yes, I'm already thinking about a possible next project and CM doesn't even have an airdate yet, lol. I can't help it.)

All that being said, I've never gotten the impression that LJG is anywhere on KES' radar. ^^;;

• Like 7

4 hours ago, missmaudy said:

Thanks ladies/girls for the translations.

He did mention DOTS & Goblin. Could there be reasons why he mentioned those two dramas? I read over Soompi about Kim Eun Sook new drama Mr Sunshine, a story about a soldier during pre-Japanese occupation.

KES said "I do have someone in mind. Since the character's narrative is strong and has the large breadth of emotions, the role needs to be played by someone who is very good at acting." Sounds like she is aiming for more substance in her next drama. 

Great actors with strong narrative skill who can deliver wide breadth of emotions--- I wonder if she was describing LJG. 

I think the reason he mentioned those particularly is because they are the to biggest hits Korea have seen lately. 
But yeah the description of KES new hero does match JG ! ^^ But also a few k-actors I can think of ~ I don't know if I want him to star in the next KES drama though. I liked a few of her works (like Secret Garden, my first ever korean drama and one of my favorite) but couldn't bring myself to watch DOTS and Goblin.

@krysyuy, yeah same. Their style don't match anyway, it's not the type of role he does. Well for now, we'll see what the future brings.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, liongurl said:

I wonder what this bit means though. Does it mean that he's the only newbie on the team? And/or that he's the narrator and we'll get to hear his inner monologue on the other characters? *excited*

Maybe his character will be a newbie as a profiler but I doubt he'll be total beginner at police work. 

I'm so excited!!! :)

As for KES dramas and LJG - I'm not a fan of her entire works but she has talent to create great moments. And DOTS were great to watch actually because she finally gavet up creating jerks as heroes. It was so refreshing to watch really nice man as main character and a lady who doesn't lose her character during the drama. :) 

I heard Goblin was promising at the beginning but then it became boring. I hope she'll write good story this time. :) 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, leesopark16 said:

I think the reason he mentioned those particularly is because they are the to biggest hits Korea have seen lately. 
But yeah the description of KES new hero does match JG ! ^^ But also a few k-actors I can think of ~ I don't know if I want him to star in the next KES drama though. I liked a few of her works (like Secret Garden, my first ever korean drama and one of my favorite) but couldn't bring myself to watch DOTS and Goblin.

@krysyuy, yeah same. Their style don't match anyway, it's not the type of role he does. Well for now, we'll see what the future brings

I think so too..the two dramas he mentioned are because they are a syndrome in Korea.You can hear the drama osts everywhere, in their variety shows.I hear you can't go in a Korean restaurant without seeing hearing a Goblin or Descendants of the sun OST.There was a time some netizens even complain that you can't even walk a few meters without seeing a military like CF or just CFs everywhere of the lead guy in DOTS.Anyways, I don't think JG will be anywhere KES anytime soon.look what he said here in the vogue interview:

JG: Very often my interviews end with "we hope to see Lee Joon Gi in a romantic comedy". I really stress about this every year. It is unfortunate that I cant meet such works but it has to be a romantic drama with a proper story line. It will certainly be uncomfortable to act in an unsuitable romance, then do I still want to do it? I worry about this alot so I did miss many opportunities, fortunately among the scripts I rejected, there werent "Descendents of the Sun" or "Goblin" (laugh).

Based on the underlined words, KES clearly does not meet that criteria.isnt her trademark, those cringy cheesy pickup lines..I can guarantee even in her next drama they will be included one way or another.I can't see JG saying those kinds of lines in a drama even a romantic one.I mean JG can nail flirting if he is required to, since he is a natural at it.But it would feel uncomfortable I would think if he is given the kind of lines KES usually writes.Also you can see from his latest interview, that acting for him isn't just a means for making money.He is serious about his craft and desires that his skills will be recognised and utilised to the fullest not just for the ladies to swoon over him.I would argue that all of KES drama so far do not do provide that opportunity.

Also KES based on her previous dramas, she seems to have a type of visuals for male leads(exceptions being Heirs and Dots) that she goes for(strictly homme fatales rather than homme fatales with an androgynous side like our JG).For that alone I don't think JG is on her radar.Anyway in any case JG is still better off staying clear of her.I don't care how popular her leads get after starring in her drama.He don't need that anyway at least at this time in his career.I know it does bug him a little about the domestic ratings and it must be annoying to be asked about that all the time.Buts it's better to be in a quality production with low ratings that people will remember for a long time than be in a fluff production that will be replaced by another one in people's memories after a year or two.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, liongurl said:

I wonder what this bit means though. Does it mean that he's the only newbie on the team? And/or that he's the narrator and we'll get to hear his inner monologue on the other characters? *excited*

2 hours ago, cedarwood said:

Maybe his character will be a newbie as a profiler but I doubt he'll be total beginner at police work. 

When I thought LJG's character was based on Derek, I had spec that we would get Derek before he became Derek. So this kind of fits with that, except he's an original character, lol. I'm betting what happens is that LJG's character Hyun Joon comes into contact with the NCI team in the first episode to work on a case together. He's probably from the local police, and 1) shows interest in the way the NCI team does things and/or 2) shows an innate talent for profiling (e.g. he's good at reading people, etc). Then by the end of the episode, SHJ's character offers him a spot on their team. Hyun Joon takes the offer and we see him learn and grow as a profiler over the course of the series, as well as see him develop relationships with the team members.

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, violina said:

@pixelsticks or anyone who knows, how do you guys insert quotes from articles into the posts here?not the spoiler tag with the eye in the tool bar but quote tag?

Highlight and Copy the lines you want from site, open the quote symbol on tool bar and paste them in.  I do it to make a demarcation of what is found elsewhere and not what I said. 

As for KES, I've also read where she is trying to use less cheese in her writing, that she is maturing.  I really didn't feel that Goblin was cheesy. I never finished DOTs because of the awful English speaking actors. If she does this one with US Army soldiers, they better cast English as a first language actors, not the German/Russian ones that have awful accents. :tongue:  

Hey JG did the Lotte love drama....it was cheesy. ^_^ JG is a flirt and it would be nice to see him play a romantic flirt before he gets himself married or he gets too old for people to accept him as a flirt (I don't think he will ever be too old for that). Whatever the case, I hope he does consider all possibilities for winter 2017/spring 2018.

I don't see it as he needs a KES production...but that they NEED him to earn some gravitas. 

• Like 6

13 hours ago, leesopark16 said:

@willenette, I think at some point it will be available in Japan since it came out on the theatre there. But probably in China before that ? But I have no idea how the chinese dvd market works. 

@hiluna, ah ah that's exactly the reason why I didn't want to watch it again on the plane xD 

Hi leesopark, thanks for the reply. I guess I need to check this out already. You know, C-DVDs take so long to release them in the market unlike K-DVDs. They're a bit faster - because Korea doesn't have a huge market for DVD/BDs, that's why sometimes shows aren't automatically released onto those mediums after airing. The general timeline is usually after 3-4-months after airing & this I'm referring to legitimate releases with English subtitles. That's why, most Koreans choose streaming or downloading.  The Producer prefers to sell the rights overseas as that's earning more money for them. :tongue:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pixelsticks said:

Highlight and Copy the lines you want from site, open the quote symbol on tool bar and paste them in.  I do it to make a demarcation of what is found elsewhere and not what I said. 

As for KES, I've also read where she is trying to use less cheese in her writing, that she is maturing.  I really didn't feel that Goblin was cheesy. I never finished DOTs because of the awful English speaking actors. If she does this one with US Army soldiers, they better cast English as a first language actors, not the German/Russian ones that have awful accents. :tongue:  

Hey JG did the Lotte love drama....it was cheesy. ^_^ JG is a flirt and it would be nice to see him play a romantic flirt before he gets himself married or he gets too old for people to accept him as a flirt (I don't think he will ever be too old for that). Whatever the case, I hope he does consider all possibilities for winter 2017/spring 2018.

I don't see it as he needs a KES production...but that they NEED him to earn some gravitas. 

Thanks for the lesson.Actually i didnt know the quotation marks was quote symbol..how dumb of me:D.We learn everyday.Also about the "English speaker actors":D:D omg so funny and you are so right!! I loved "King 2 Hearts" back in 2012(If you haven't watched it, I recommend its good even though no JG) but when those horrible English speaker actors come on,  they ruin the flow of the story and also cringeworthy acting.Same in Master's Sun, at least in there it was only a cameo.I mean Korea can do better .Surely they must be alot of Americans living in South Korea since they are allies.They should invest in scouting actors who speak English as a first language.Or the inverse is when they give the K actors lines where they have to speak English and their not fluent.This is how I manage to quit Heirs when I only watched 10 mins of the first episode.By the way, did you notice how sexy JG's voice sounds when he speaks English:wub:,!He just needs to work just a little on his pronunciation and confidence, when he is speaking it.But he is already good to go and we can all understand clearly what he is saying without subs.

Back to KES and JG  and romance dramas.Hey! about that lotte duty web drama, that was just like a very long commercial film,...he appears for like 10-12 mins:).If I was a casting agent and had to evaluate JG's ability for rom com then 'my ear candy' is a better project for me to do so..it had equal amount of cheese, funny, heart fluttering moments, seriousness but most importantly it was mature and natural.The kind that many both domestic and international viewers were saying is better than a rom com.Also another problem with KES is while she is working hard, to make her male lead as swoon worthy as possible.She forgets character development.And JG no matter will only accept a character which allows him to show case his growth even romance as seen from his loveline in Scarlet.

I think that JG's style for romance is the gentle, intense but very addictive kind.No overly done kiss scenes where the male lead, is literally eating the female lead's face:D.No excessive skin showing or bed scenes.Even the skinship is well timed.Not overly nice guy with no flaws or overly jerk guy with no redeeming qualities, his character has to have both, even at the beginning of the script.Not that there is anything wrong with any of that,but I just think its not his style.So even for pure romance or rom com.I dont follow most of the korean writers but for a quality romance or rom com project.His style and gravitas for romance would match better with writer No Hee Kyung. She is the one who won both best scriptwriter and her drama won over goblin this year at Baeksang. She is also the one who won best scriptwriter over DOTS for best scriptwriter at the Korean Drama Awards last year.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, pixelsticks said:

Yes exactly my thought. KES said she heard people say that her writing is getting less cheesy and maturing- something in that line. As per the article, she sounds like she wants to be taken as a more credible writer not just someone who is popular with cheesy lines. Thus she came up with this script with a main character who has a wide breadth of emotions and good narrative skills. And, she specifically said she needs a credible and great actor to deliver the character. I think the main character is a Korean man who joined the US army. So she needs an actor who is good at English.  I think she wants to be taken as a writer with substance on her next drama. So the next actor who will be casted in her next drama will somewhat help KES upgrade her credibility as a writer. Sounds like rating is not her priority on her next project but quality. 

@pixelsticks Yes for the American soldiers, I hope they hire actors who can actually deliver the American accent unless if the character is from other descent or ethnicity. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, pixelsticks said:

Spoiler

Yes exactly my thought. KES said she heard people say that her writing is getting less cheesy and maturing- something in that line. As per the article, she sounds like she wants to be taken as a more credible writer not just someone who is popular with cheesy lines. Thus she came up with this script with a main character who has a wide breadth of emotions and good narrative skills. And, she specifically said she needs a credible and great actor to deliver the character. I think the main character is a Korean man who joined the US army. So she needs an actor who is good at English.  I think she wants to be taken as a writer with substance on her next drama. So the next actor who will be casted in her next drama will somewhat help KES upgrade her credibility as a writer. Sounds like rating is not her priority on her next project but quality. 

@pixelsticks Yes for the American soldiers, I hope they hire actors who can actually deliver the American accent unless if the character is from other descent or ethnicity. 

I trust LJG. I know he won't just jump in any projects. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, violina said:

Based on the underlined words, KES clearly does not meet that criteria.isnt her trademark, those cringy cheesy pickup lines..

Those cringy cheesy pickup lines that audience love so much and guarantee a success of the drama. :wink: And based on the words behind those underlined - who knows? He said that FORTUNATELY he didn't rejected Goblin or DOTS.

Buts it's better to be in a quality production with low ratings that people will remember for a long time than be in a fluff production that will be replaced by another one in people's memories after a year or two.

It is but still DOTS are still on people's mind and I really don't think it's a bad drama. But ok I may be the only one person here who liked it. As for popularity - I think it's different in Korea than in USA or anywhere else. I believe actors in Korea don't have that much choice and it's possible that low ratings can kill someone's career. It was so strange case with Moon lovers that Koreans didn't like the drama that much (they prefered typical love story but well... I can't change that) while everywhere else it was such a huge success. That said I really think it's another world in Korea. :wink: I too prefer Joon Gi in quality drama but sometimes... sometimes I think he should make even not so good quality drama but the one that will remind Koreans why they loved him so much in the beginning. And while he's still there.

how do you guys insert quotes from articles into the posts here?not the spoiler tag with the eye in the tool bar but quote tag?

Press " sign above writing place. Close to emoticon button. :) And then paste the article there.

You will get this. :D Hope it helps. :) 

8 hours ago, krysyuy said:

When I thought LJG's character was based on Derek, I had spec that we would get Derek before he became Derek. So this kind of fits with that, except he's an original character, lol. I'm betting what happens is that LJG's character Hyun Joon comes into contact with the NCI team in the first episode to work on a case together. He's probably from the local police, and 1) shows interest in the way the NCI team does things and/or 2) shows an innate talent for profiling (e.g. he's good at reading people, etc). Then by the end of the episode, SHJ's character offers him a spot on their team. Hyun Joon takes the offer and we see him learn and grow as a profiler over the course of the series, as well as see him develop relationships with the team members.

That's what I was thining but couldn't express myself. I really should learn English. Sniff...

• Like 7

On 6/22/2017 at 10:29 AM, pixelsticks said:

Then I am crazy too.  I really couldn't place a specific scene myself either...except when she went to tend to his arrow wound.  Or actually when he had to leave for 2 years and she was pining by the water...maybe then. Speaking of letting a character breathe, I think they did kind of short change HaeSoo in terms of her depth.  SO I cannot WAIT for Hyun Joon/Hyun Jun.  Where are the previews tVN?  These Bride ones are great so let's put out the CM ones!!!

JG's IG posted pics again. 

Gun emoji from the beginning and then the hashtags have been added within the first 30 minutes while I was surfing around. Do we need to teach him #criminalmindskorea #hyunjun #hyunjoon?  

Hi pixelsticks, thanks for sharing this picture from Vogue. Awww...........this black and white has the effect of a darker & mysterious aura. I’m not really into B/W but this is NICE! :tongue:

• Like 6

From the 42 pics posted at his VLIVE...oh it was almost too much at once. :)  

1. So I can see a L'Oreal ad waiting to be in there....(hairspray)  
  2. Sunglasses Ad
  3. Colorful underwear Ad...and very very tiny peek of abdomen (and orange band briefs)
  4. No Hyun Jun bracelet to be found (in moody Vogue HJ pics).
  5. That @violina likes the smiley shots
  6. that @glassnokamen likes the "I'm not looking at you but I am looking cool" shots. 

The Taewon CEO updated his IG with a Criminal Mind(s) pic but no JG in it.  

• Like 7