Lee Joon Gi 이준기 | [Drama 2023] "Arthdal Chronicles: The Sword of Aramoon"

Admin

16 hours ago, lisethvr said:

And there is more :o:lol:

:lol: LOL. I love it! I love our boy's sense of mischief. :lol: And humour. 

Like I've said, he is the King of Fan Servicing. It's incredible how readily he plays to audience expectations and un-expectations. :wink:He's living up to his reputation as the Hallyu Star. 

Thanks for that... it cracked me up. Ethan's reaction was classic too. 

So no word on whether he's doing Criminal Minds yet?

• Like 13

3 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

:lol: LOL. I love it! I love our boy's sense of mischief. :lol: And humour. 

Like I've said, he is the King of Fan Servicing. It's incredible how readily he plays to audience expectations and un-expectations. :wink:He's living up to his reputation as the Hallyu Star. 

Thanks for that... it cracked me up. Ethan's reaction was classic too. 

So no word on whether he's doing Criminal Minds yet?

I think the 'We can make it' IG post confirmed it I guess. :) 

I have been looking around. He didn't actually confirm in Moon Lovers. (Pls Correct me if I am wrong.) On this basis, Id say he will do the CM unless otherwise if there are terms they don't agree. 

Edited by missmaudy
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, missmaudy said:

I have been looking around. He didn't actually confirm in Moon Lovers. (Pls Correct me if I am wrong.) On this basis, Id say he will do the CM unless otherwise if there are terms they don't agree. 

His participation in Moon Lovers was confirmed. On January 4 last year, articles were released saying Joon Gi and IU had confirmed and some media said that it was a drama official who gave the statement of confirmation of both. And that same day Joon Gi wrote a message to his fans confirming it too.

This is the message he wrote at HAJUNSE.

160104 JG Message at HAJUNSE

Sending you my heart…

Hello, this is Joongi.

It's been a while since I last left a message. I understand that you have had mixed feelings today about the news of the next project. You must have some worries and confusions. If it hurt any of your hearts, I give my apology. 

For the time being,.. the long time…. 

There were some legitimate reasons for the decision after the long deliberation. However, I think the more important thing is to help make a great work and show the result than to talk about it thousand times. 

“Startling by Each Step”, which was based on a Chinese novel, was a huge hit drama in China. I was impressed by the director Kim Tae-gyu's desire and passion as we were discussing how to bring out the best of this work. Also, I feel awkward because of the pre-production system which I am not familiar with and I look forward to it with anticipation at the same time.  In this system, we are trying our best to make this work near perfect. We will apply ourselves to make a wonderful work. 

Working on pieces, one should make decisions. 

It's clear that I feel the responsibility as well because nothing is decided easily and nothing goes easily. I believe that all the good experience will pile as I do more pieces and it will become the nourishment for me to shine more. 

It will probably be presented around this fall. You may worry if I will spend the whole year with it but I will try to have a solid year of 2016 with variety of things to show you. So, I will appreciate if you trust me and stay with me. 

I know that I should make better filmography so that I can make you happy. I will try harder. 

As a good actor, I will devote myself in the filming sites. I am always grateful to you that are concerned about me and support me all the time. 

Let me send you belated season's greeting. Please May Health and Happiness stay in your family throughout the year. 

(Translation by Elly@JGfamily) 

Many fans weren't agree that he does Moon Lovers, especially his Korean fans, I remember that when the news came out that had been offered the male lead of the drama to Joon Gi, his instagram was full of messages in Korean that asked him not to accept, and in DCgallery they also talked a lot about their worries, they said that it was a remake of a popular drama and that there would be many comparisons and also they said that he was going to be typecast because with this drama would be three sageuk followed. Well as you know Joon Gi reads the messages from his fans, as you can realize by reading what he wrote.

• Like 11

@lisethvr I'd say he was right on choosing Moon Lovers. It's a drama that challenged the norm in kdrama land and many have not appreciated it. To me so far, Moon Lovers was the kdrama production in many ways.  To be honest I find criticisms on writing and editing ridiculous. 

One thing was regretful, the production has lost control on the marketing side. Even if you read wiki, it says it's a remake of the Chinese drama. That is why many people have expected it to be like the cversion. But it's million miles superior than the c version. We all know its an adaptation of the book which means it has a different interpretation. Lee Joon Gi did well marketing it though.  He said to take the drama a new one as it would be different than it's Chinese counterpart. 

Also, They should just let the title as 'Moon Lovers'. Just like the American remake of the God's Gift, the Americans names it as Somewhere between. 

Anyway...So, he confirmed ML in January? Didn't they start filming in the same time? CM according to reports will start filming end of March.

• Like 11

Hi All! Long time not posting in Soompi

want to share this info, though.

one of JG fans from Indonesia is having 1 ticket (in Superfan area), for Joon Gi Singapore event in 4 March.

unfortunately she cant come, so if you live in Indo, and want to buy the ticket from her, pls pm, and i'll share her IG contact to you.. (please directly contact her for further approach. i'm only sharing the info).

she will sell it for SGD 160 (standard price is around SGD 180).

for you who comes, congrats, and i'll envy you since i cant come either! hicks..

Happy Valentine!  :)

• Like 8

On 2/14/2017 at 6:07 AM, missmaudy said:

I haven't researched a bunch, but I did see and was going to ask.  I saw that Namoo Actors put out that Joon Gi accepted the Wang So Role on January 4, 2016.  http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=311&aid=0000562281&lfrom=kakao    It is listed in their NEWS section on his website.  The first read for MLSHR was on January 18th so only 2 weeks before.  

Is that what has been done in the past?  Announce role just a few weeks before the start of production?  

Alright, curiosity got me.  

MLSHR:

Scholar:

Joseon Gunman:  

Two Weeks:

Arang & The Magistrate:

Joon Gi was offered Criminal Minds January 10, 2017. It's been a month.  When is first script read?  I would guess we would hear 2 weeks to 1-2 months ahead of that.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, lisethvr said:

His participation in Moon Lovers was confirmed. On January 4 last year, articles were released saying Joon Gi and IU had confirmed and some media said that it was a drama official who gave the statement of confirmation of both. And that same day Joon Gi wrote a message to his fans confirming it too.

This is the message he wrote at HAJUNSE.

Many fans weren't agree that he does Moon Lovers, especially his Korean fans, I remember that when the news came out that had been offered the male lead of the drama to Joon Gi, his instagram was full of messages in Korean that asked him not to accept, and in DCgallery they also talked a lot about their worries, they said that it was a remake of a popular drama and that there would be many comparisons and also they said that he was going to be typecast because with this drama would be three saeguk followed. Well as you know Joon Gi reads the messages from his fans, as you can realize by reading what he wrote.

Thanks for sharing JG's message.  

So did many Korean fans reject this drama from the very beginning?  Sounds like it.  As @missmaudy said, JG did do right by accepting and he did do a phenomenal job marketing and bringing in interest to MLSHR and himself during the whole process.  He went from a half million IG fans to almost 2 million. He did that fun VApp video introducing each actor and more. 

What a challenge taking this role must have been for him:

• Fans responding negatively,
  • he wanted to avoid Saguek but in the end did another one,
  • he took his time to decide but when he did - gets attacked (constructive criticism should be allowed but ??) 
  • after test shots - they felt he didn't fit right so he had to lose a considerable amount of weight,
  • the IU (and Idols) casting controversy,
  • Korean ratings drop and never really rise,
  • comparisons constantly with that other Moon drama,
  • comparisons constantly with the Chinese drama
  • articles calling it not successful,
  • ending not the way they filmed it - subsequent fan pressure.  

A lesser person could fall apart with that pressure.  

I did see on his website NOTICEs of some fan feedback events dated January 22 and Jan 23 2016.  http://www.leejoongi.co.kr/as/bbs/board.php?bo_table=notice&page=10&page=9   Was this in direct relation to the reaction of taking the role of Wang So?  Google Translate stinks but it seems that Namoo tried to create a meeting time for fans to give their feedback, but then cancelled the meeting.  

Man, I wonder how it will all go down when he accepts his next role.  

• Like 11

First script reading of MLSHR was on January 8, 2016 but news about this was released on January 18, 2016.

And there was no news that he was offered the lead role in 'Two Weeks', we didn't know nothing until It was confirmed. It's more we thought he would make another drama, because almost a month before came out news saying that he had been offered the lead role in 'Age of Feeling' and the articles said he was considering favorably, so we were surprised when the news came out that he would participate in Two Weeks.

• Like 8

There's a difference between the date he accepts a role/when the contract is finalized and when the news is released. There's no rules to that, sometimes we can hear about a confirmation months ahead production starts or one week before. It depends ~ (generally when it's very close to the script reading date and after multiple casting offers out, it means they had a hard time to cast for example).

So he might have accepted the role already and we don't know about it, or even rejected it. Impossible to know. 
We hear about an actor confirmation before the script reading takes place though, for the main roles. 

I was one of the people who didn't like the idea of him starring in Moon Lovers, especially after seeing who they will cast as the leading lady and the brothers. He had just ended SWWTN, another sageuk with mainly a young cast, so I wanted him to do a project like CM before something like Moon Lovers. In the end, he proved everyone wrong because he was absolutely brilliant as Wang So and it was worth watching him in that, and he hit another peak of hallyu stardom thanks to it. But there were many disappointments for me about other things (no need to mention them again). For me, it's far from being his best drama - quality wise -, but incontestably one of his finest acting performance. And it also made me like IU as a person, so another good thing.

LJG has always read everything about him, good and bad things, so I'd say it doesn't necessarely get to him as much as it could for a younger and less experience person. Still he hears, listens, thinks about what being said. But he makes his own decisions and takes responsability for it, and bears with the consequences. He overthinks a lot but has a lot of motivation and optimism and can handle the pressure. 

@lisethvr, I heard (or he said it ?) that it was the writer who wanted him for Two Weeks, right ?

• Like 13

1 hour ago, leesopark16 said:

There's a difference between the date he accepts a role/when the contract is finalized and when the news is released. There's no rules to that, sometimes we can hear about a confirmation months ahead production starts or one week before. It depends ~ (generally when it's very close to the script reading date and after multiple casting offers out, it means they had a hard time to cast for example).

So he might have accepted the role already and we don't know about it, or even rejected it. Impossible to know. 
We hear about an actor confirmation before the script reading takes place though, for the main roles. 

I was one of the people who didn't like the idea of him starring in Moon Lovers, especially after seeing who they will cast as the leading lady and the brothers. He had just ended SWWTN, another sageuk with mainly a young cast, so I wanted him to do a project like CM before something like Moon Lovers. In the end, he proved everyone wrong because he was absolutely brilliant as Wang So and it was worth watching him in that, and he hit another peak of hallyu stardom thanks to it. But there were many disappointments for me about other things (no need to mention them again). For me, it's far from being his best drama - quality wise -, but incontestably one of his finest acting performance. And it also made me like IU as a person, so another good thing.

LJG has always read everything about him, good and bad things, so I'd say it doesn't necessarely get to him as much as it could for a younger and less experience person. Still he hears, listens, thinks about what being said. But he makes his own decisions and takes responsability for it, and bears with the consequences. He overthinks a lot but has a lot of motivation and optimism and can handle the pressure. 

@lisethvr, I heard (or he said it ?) that it was the writer who wanted him for Two Weeks, right ?

It is understandable that fans worry because they want the best for him and even though they ask him to reject a certain drama they always support him. In the end they loved the drama, in DCgallery you can see that they liked and of course the fans love Wang So. Although I had my reservations regarding some cast members, I instead wanted him to accept the offer, and just like you there were also some disappointments for me in the drama, but still I liked it a lot and above all I enjoyed his brilliant performance and that for me was his most memorable character.

And yes, Joon Gi said that it was the writer who wanted him for Two Weeks. This is part of an interview where Joon Gi talks about it.

Lee Junki had in fact pondered long and hard over whether to star in “Two Weeks”. He was worried about whether he would be able to act as a father despite not being married and not having much dating experience. He eventually made his decision because of the trust of scriptwriter So Hyun Kyung.

“I said I couldn’t do it when I received the script. When I saw the script for the first episode, I wondered if I could understand a 32-year-old with a daughter. Even if I do well, if I cannot live up to expectations, then I will have to take a break for a long time, because I thought this project will deal a big blow to me. Senior Son Hyung Joo acted incredibly well as a father in ‘The Chaser’, so how could I, a fool who hasn’t even dated, know how to play my part? But writer So Hyun Kyung kept calling me. So I met up with her and from the moment I stepped in, she kept explaining her work in detail. She said confidently and perfectly, ‘This is different from what Senior Son Hyung Joo could do. It would be great if you could just trust and follow me. This can mould and change Lee Junki.’ So I ended up thinking for a long time even after I got home. After two days, I called her to say that I agreed.”

Full interview here: https://daegorr.wordpress.com/2013/10/26/newstrans-two-weeks-lee-junki-as-a-32-year-old-romantic-fool-acting-as-a-dad-was-difficult-part-1/#more-441

• Like 17

@pixelsticks Thanks for the info.

Wow! What a hectic schedule we got there. Production wise, no wonder those dramas were a bit messy except for Arang. I thought its flow was good. I love Joseon Gunman & Lee Joon Gi's performance and of those older actors but the production was a bit messy in the later episodes. The worst one was the SWWTN. Episode 1 was amazing but it went downhill & was too slow until around ep 11 or 12. The production flow of this drama felt stressful but I love how LJG carried out the vampire character. For me his act was a joy to watch.

But I felt different for Moon Lovers. I really find this drama as very poetic. artistic & elegant. Wang So was really amazing. I think the reason why Wang So was mesmerizing because he was perfectly in tune with the direction of the drama. I could only wish for all actors to have delivered the same level of performance which probably would have made this drama more epic.

Well regardless of the flaws, I still think its the best kdrama I've seen so far. I don't really care much about the rating as per my observation, the mainstream kdrama domestic viewers prefer light, romantic-comedy with lots of cheese. I think the non-cheesy audience prefer to watch films.

Well just my 2 cents. No harm intended.

For CM, I am actually excited about it. I hope LJG will do this drama. I have actually picture the look for his character. It thought he will have it like the way he look during the Fabricated City premier. I thought that look was perfect.

Edited by missmaudy
  • Like 14

@lisethvr, thanks for the info :) 

@missmaudy, yeah I share your opinions about those drama. Joseon Gunman is what I can call a quality drama, production and acting wise, but it suffered from the extension it got (2 episodes) and also the writer was turning in circle a little bit, but the characters and the setting were rich. About SWWTN, this one got early problems with the injuries of LJG and more importantly LYB (poor girl, I hope her back is ok now), and the writer who couldn't lead her story well, the network had to add another writer. I really loved the 5 first episodes though, I don't mind if the story is slow, and I loved the directing, very pretty. But the writer didn't have a very rich story to tell except for that useless book ^^ But I also loved his take as a vampire (and on a pure superficial level : they should have made him wear long hair mooore ~ a pity).

I also love his choice of dramas and his style of acting. He is one of the few actor (the only one ?) who can make me watch all of his works. Not only because of his screen charisma, but also because he always chooses rich stories with strong emotions involved. He is so good at that.

Agree, I'm also very excited for CM and hope he does it. I wasn't found of the little curls, I prefered his hair for Kang Ha Neul's movie premiere. Straight, simple. Or he can wear them like his character in Resident Evil, it suits him too. The simpler, the better.

• Like 11

23 minutes ago, lisethvr said:

Joon Gi's Twitter has been hacked :angry:. This was retweeted from his account.

Reveal hidden contents

Ugh, I noticed too. I thought it was strange he retweeted something at first, and then I saw the actual tweet. :/ I hope he notices soon (since fans are leaving him messages on IG) and it's fixed asap.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, krysyuy said:

Ugh, I noticed too. I thought it was strange he retweeted something at first, and then I saw the actual tweet. :/ I hope he notices soon (since fans are leaving him messages on IG) and it's fixed asap.

Finally Joon Gi fix it and he tweeted.

• Like 10

22 minutes ago, lisethvr said:

Finally Joon Gi fix it and he tweeted.

Awesome! Glad that didn't take too long - I didn't think it would anyway since I figured JG would be clued in by all the fans leaving him messages on IG, lol. Sucks that it's a hacking that causes him to actually tweet though. xD

Hopefully, he posts on IG later. Just because. haha

• Like 6