• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Any Ubuntu* users here? (Ubuntu: the Operating System Formerly Known As GNU/Linux). If you want to make animated GIFs from movies, I've written a guide for Ubuntu users.

(Just kidding. Any Linux flavour is OK, as well as Apple's OS X and BSD machines)

1. Get the movie.
If the clip is streamed online, you can try youtube-dl to download it. Don't get fooled by its name, cause youtube-dl can deal with *a lot* of streaming sites (and Youtube, of course). Anyway, East webpages are not so well supported: it that case, you can directly capture the video using recordmydesktop or vokoscreen.

2. Select a portion
Avidemux is your friend when it's time to get those fews seconds needed for an awesome GIF. It's pretty easy; however...

• 2.1 Open the video file.
  • 2.2 Move the horizontal slider to the beginning of your desired portion. You can also do "fine tuning" with LEFT and RIGHT arrow keys to move through individual frames. Once you get your desired starting frame, press the "A" start marker (under the horizontal slider, 7th button starting from the left). NOTE: moving "backwards" with the LEFT arrow key may lag your computer a little. Be patient.
  • 2.3 Do the same with the ending point. In this case, you must click on the "B" end marker (8th button).
  • 2.4 Select "Mpeg2 (ff)" as Video Output. Select "Mpeg TS Muxer (ff)" as Output Format. Leave audio as "COPY".
  • 2.5 Select "File -> Save", choose name and place and save it.
  • 2.6 Play your partial movie and check if your starting and ending points are OK.

45NuSRBc.jpg

3. Install software
Install imagemagick and ffmpeg packages. Alternative to ffmpeg: avconv.

4. Type the following command (with avconv, it's exactly the same):
ffmpeg -i movie.ts -vf scale=200:-1 -r 10 -f image2pipe -vcodec ppm - | convert -delay 10 -loop 0 -colors 64 - output.gif

I'll explain the different options:
-vf scale=200:-1
This is the size, in pixels, of the final GIF. That's WIDTH:HEIGHT. If you choose -1 in any of them, it will keep itself proportional to the other measure and the original file. Example: if your movie is 16:9 format (full HD) and you type -vf scale=320:-1 to specify a 320 pixels width, height will be automagically adjusted to 180 pixels.

-r 20
Here you can configure the FPS (frames per second). The lesser FPS, the less fluent will be the animation, but the file will be smaller. IMPORTANT: to keep the original speed, if you are using this -r option, you MUST later include a -delay option in the convert command.

-delay 5
Only needed if you've used the -r option before. It's value should be DELAY=100/FPS.

-loop 0
Using this option, GIF will play forever in an endless cycle.

-colors 64
Number of colors (2-256). The lesser colors, the smaller GIF file. But less colors means grainy image and, if there are only 16 or lesser, bad quality. This number should be a power of 2. That is: 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128 or 256.

cr: several people at https://askubuntu.com/questions/648603/create-animated-gif-from-mp4-video-via-command-line

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

• 2 months later...

hey! if you want gifs made for you, just contact me, i can make simple gifs anyone wants without the annoying brand in the corner that you get from making them online.

if you want to make them yourself, it's extremely simple on photoshop. before you groan in exasperation over how expensive it is, i have the links for the free version for PC and Mac, just get me in PM.

you can search up how to make gifs on YT, but at LOT of them take up way too much talking. but if you are that desperate enough it will work. there was this really simple tut i used a long time ago but it's lost or must be deleted. if you don't want to waste all that time on those long tuts again contact me, i understand how painful it can be for noobs and can make the video as short as possible.

cheers! : )

test <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="ko" dir="ltr">아ㅅ 귀부터 목까지 빨개졌어ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅅㅂ <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/%EA%B9%80%EB%82%A8%EA%B8%B8?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#김남길</a> <a href="https://t.co/2ibMRAvP5k">pic.twitter.com/2ibMRAvP5k</a></p>&mdash; (@waahjae) <a href="https://twitter.com/waahjae/status/915801004402253824?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 5, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Edited by tzracyz
test

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...