Filipino R&b Music

Guest -.Gigi.-

well...im not really into music..but im really hoping to see a "super junior" group here in the philippines...cause japanese/koreans/taiwanese have boy bands..wee..heheh ...why can't we?..well.most of the people here thinks that boy bands are kinda gay..that's why rock bands are sprouting everywhere here in RP..no offense to any Prock(pinoy rock?! or Fpop for filipino.lol..) lovers out there...cause they are talented indeed...

but i want to have Ppop (hahaha..).confused again..or is it Fpop...>.<

Most Filipinos think that boy bands are corny/gay -_- But there's a girl band in the making so... let's see ;) I love bands. haha. Btw, Filipino music is called OPM :)

I love Southborder's "Reward" <3

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i wouldn't consider sitti navarro as r&b..maybe..bossa nova (i have no idea what that is) or jazz..but i do like her music A LOT.

jay r..kyla..southborder..that's all i know lol

Most Filipinos think that boy bands are corny/gay -_-

really now? that's not the impression I got.

BSB was huge in the Philippines. The Moffatts became a phenomena in the country, to the point schoolgirls skipped school and destroyed the gates of ABS. Westlife ruled the airwaves. F4 became a fad, to the point some actors even copied hairstyles of these Taiwanese celebs. unless, I'm reading false news and the fact I dont live in the Phils no more; I must be misinformed.

I really think Filipinos adore boy bands. unless, Filipinos just love the idea/concept of boybands when it comes to international artists. I guess that must be so.

-------------

btw, MYMP has a new album that came out recently. listening to some songs, I would say it's truly soulful acoustic with a mixture of r&b-ish. it's so nice to listen to. Juris's voice is amazing.

Yeah I was also hoping that one day there'll be a teenybopper day that will make a fangirl scream ..

but the music scene in the Philippines now is all about ballads.. bands ..

I'm not up to date with Filipino music anymore.. I rarely watch TV these days too ..

lol yeah .. most filipinos think boy bands are gay .. well that is if the boy band is full of filipino members.. lol but they seem to be okay with american boybands or whatever nationality they are just as long as the guys in the band aren't filipino ..

bands that play instruments are much accepted in the country ..

i do hope there'll be a boa or a tvxq there one day ..

really now? that's not the impression I got.

BSB was huge in the Philippines. The Moffatts became a phenomena in the country, to the point schoolgirls skipped school and destroyed the gates of ABS. Westlife ruled the airwaves. F4 became a fad, to the point some actors even copied hairstyles of these Taiwanese celebs. unless, I'm reading false news and the fact I dont live in the Phils no more; I must be misinformed.

I really think Filipinos adore boy bands. unless, Filipinos just love the idea/concept of boybands when it comes to international artists. I guess that must be so.

That's true. I mean right now. Many teenagers think that boybands are gay because of the sudden sprout of rock bands. The popularity of boybands are not the same as before anymore :mellow: If a TVXQ/Super Junior/Shinhwa drama shows here, then another Asian boyband craze.

Nina's "I Do" is good :)

Guest amydien

I think the reason why there arent many (or any at all) filipino boybands is because pop music like that doesnt very much suit tagalog language.

I think tagalog sounds better in RnB, alternative, rock, ballad and those types....try imagining NSYNC "Pop" sung in tagalog...it's kinda awkward...or DBSK's Rising Sun in tagalog....but that's just what I think.

Guest maizakichi

Most Filipinos think that boy bands are corny/gay -_- But there's a girl band in the making so... let's see ;) I love bands. haha. Btw, Filipino music is called OPM :)

haha....yeah right..i forgot about "original pinoy music" for awhile..lol..i 'cause im kinda used to hearing kpop, jpop..etc..haha but wouldnt it be nice to have Fpop?! lol...girl band in the making--> who are the members?

im one of the F4 fanatics long ago! but that was a long ago..hahaha..but im not into western boybands though..oh..except for aaron carter! lol..now, i like eastern boybands..asians to be exact..(super junior!)

Yeah I was also hoping that one day there'll be a teenybopper day that will make a fangirl scream ..

I'm not up to date with Filipino music anymore.. I rarely watch TV these days too ..

lol yeah .. most filipinos think boy bands are gay .. well that is if the boy band is full of filipino members.. lol but they seem to be okay with american boybands or whatever nationality they are just as long as the guys in the band aren't filipino ..

hope there would be a super junior! hehehe...like hero and max also..yeah..i rarely watch tv also..and i dont listen to radio stations anymore..so i have no freakin idea about the new bands/songs that are hit now..except for boom tarat tarat and hawak kamay..hahahayeah..

That's true. I mean right now. Many teenagers think that boybands are gay because of the sudden sprout of rock bands. The popularity of boybands are not the same as before anymore :mellow: If a TVXQ/Super Junior/Shinhwa drama shows here, then another Asian boyband craze.

18 vs 29 was shown here.,..and shiwon was in it (member in suju) i guess it was before super junior debuted..so..

I think the reason why there arent many (or any at all) filipino boybands is because pop music like that doesnt very much suit tagalog language.

I think tagalog sounds better in RnB, alternative, rock, ballad and those types....try imagining NSYNC "Pop" sung in tagalog...it's kinda awkward...or DBSK's Rising Sun in tagalog....but that's just what I think.

i agree...can't imagine to have a pop song ..but they could do ENGLISH SONGS..err...but one of sarah geronimo's song was kinda like a teenyboopy one also..the one with mikel on it (on the mv..)

and oh..i was hoping that the group "ANIME" would become a boyband...cause they know how to dance (and i love them for that)..and few of their members can sing as well..so they could be like super junior also.. :sweatingbullets:

Guest cpopbaby19

^gah. i thought when they aired 18:29 here, it would spark some SUJU thing. lol. but the drama isn't even put on primetime. it's on the 11:30 am slot! >];[ TT_TT

well...im not really into music..but im really hoping to see a "super junior" group here in the philippines...cause japanese/koreans/taiwanese have boy bands..wee..heheh ...why can't we?..well.most of the people here thinks that boy bands are kinda gay..that's why rock bands are sprouting everywhere here in RP..no offense to any Prock(pinoy rock?! or Fpop for filipino.lol..) lovers out there...cause they are talented indeed...

but i want to have Ppop (hahaha..).confused again..or is it Fpop...>.<

^haha. seriously, i really don't know what to think if some filipino group showed up as phil's dbsg/suju or something. -__-; i say stick to the rock bands and such. probably their songs will be ALL in english if that it. T___T; and.. i remember before.. some group got popular for a while. haha. i was like 6 years old then and they are like s.e.s. (at least when tey act all cutesy. hahha) =.= i forgot the name of the group~

i don't even think that some music company would bother to create a boyband image which is composed for filipino boys. =/

it sounds too awkward to me.

^true. i sure do think the same. o__o not to be bashing or anything...

cuz i think it's gonna be corny! XP

good point. i cracked up at your statement though! XD hahaha.

gawd. imagine that huh? +___+ goodness. probably i'd die in laughter! XD haha

Guest Mz.Mo0.NiQu3

wow..

lolz i`m so far behind in filipino music x_x;

well i`m behind in music in general x_x;

thanks for all these artists :]

lolz i`ve been trying to find out who sang "rainbow" for the longest time ever x_x;;

:]

Guest polabola

^gah. i thought when they aired 18:29 here, it would spark some SUJU thing. lol. but the drama isn't even put on primetime. it's on the 11:30 am slot! >];[ TT_TT

^haha. seriously, i really don't know what to think if some filipino group showed up as phil's dbsg/suju or something. -__-; i say stick to the rock bands and such. probably their songs will be ALL in english if that it. T___T; and.. i remember before.. some group got popular for a while. haha. i was like 6 years old then and they are like s.e.s. (at least when tey act all cutesy. hahha) =.= i forgot the name of the group~

i don't even think that some music company would bother to create a boyband image which is composed for filipino boys. =/

it sounds too awkward to me.

^true. i sure do think the same. o__o not to be bashing or anything...

cuz i think it's gonna be corny! XP

good point. i cracked up at your statement though! XD hahaha.

gawd. imagine that huh? +___+ goodness. probably i'd die in laughter! XD haha

I agree...TVXQ and boybands should be left in east Asia and probably Thailand because personally, Filipinos are generally rockers and looking for more "passionate" and "hard" stuff like live rnb/rock bands that they could relate to. I remember there was a boy group formed by the Rexona boys years ago which seemed too manifactured and fake. People didn't like that, they want raw, pure and real stuff.

Same as showbiz here, stars here aren't revered or mystified or put in a box and labelled such as that of our Asian neighbors because people want to get more personal.

That girl group is Vanna Vanna. I like their song "He loves Me"

ETA: I'm not saying boybands are manifactured goods that are sold in boxes...hehehhee

wow, this R&B thread has turned into discuss Filipino musical preferences. (and I'm part of the guilty party. Maybe someone should make a thread about OPM) anyway, I just remembered there was a boyband called Jeremiah some time ago. Their songs had a touch or feel of R&B.

I was not a fan of them but I remember hearing their songs and seeing their mvs when I went home for vacation some years ago. I even remember a line to one of their songs: Nanghihinayang, nanghihinayang ang puso ko..

whatever happened to those guys?

Guest sunnydays.

Just wanted to say -- thanks guys for the suggestions. Southborder & Kyla are the more popular R&B singers, but the others, I'm looking forward to listening to their music. (:

Most of the OPM music I listened to when I was younger consisted of the older people, who really emphasized the whole balad stuff... Gary V, Ariel Rivera, Regine Velazquez, Jaya, Lea Salonga... oh, does anyone remember the Apo Hiking Society? or something like that. Hahaha, they are my parents' music, but I grew up listening to them ~

Yeah, it's weird, I can't see a filipino boyband, but I know many filipinos who like boybands that are from other countries. Ahh well. ^^;

So yeahhh -- thanks for the suggestions, guys. XD;

Guest fantasian

do you guys know what this song is... its a hiphop song in english and the chorus is like "Filipino! Filipino!" it's a clubbing typa song

Guest angel2nyt

I love Southborder's "Reward" <3

me too..

gosh im so in love with that song right now

and its kind of ironic because i also like nina's someday'

which is like complete opposite

i agree to the people who said that the filipino language really sounds so much better in rock and rnb

the pop sngs are hard to come by these days

but off topic: isnt the 'manila sound' a bit pop too with a tinge of rnb

do you guys know what this song is... its a hiphop song in english and the chorus is like "Filipino! Filipino!" it's a clubbing typa song

its from the black-eyed peas

hahaha

its called 'bebot'.. correct me if im wrong but that means 'babe' right?

I agree...TVXQ and boybands should be left in east Asia and probably Thailand because personally, Filipinos are generally rockers and looking for more "passionate" and "hard" stuff like live rnb/rock bands that they could relate to. I remember there was a boy group formed by the Rexona boys years ago which seemed too manifactured and fake. People didn't like that, they want raw, pure and real stuff.

Same as showbiz here, stars here aren't revered or mystified or put in a box and labelled such as that of our Asian neighbors because people want to get more personal.

ETA: I'm not saying boybands are manifactured goods that are sold in boxes...hehehhee

that is so true

let's leave the boyband stuff to east asia

a lot of bands here come from the underground scene(exception: hale) and worked their way up

Guest cpopbaby19

wow..

lolz i`m so far behind in filipino music x_x;

well i`m behind in music in general x_x;

thanks for all these artists :]

lolz i`ve been trying to find out who sang "rainbow" for the longest time ever x_x;;

:]

^rainbow?

you mean with lyrics like "take little time, baby. see the butterflies and colors.. listen to the birds and ......" lalal~ i forgot the lyrics. LOL.

it's southborder. [;

^Oh GOsh!! truee. T_T i never saw a full filipino who looks like a girl. i mean, has a features like a girl. i mean like the looks of Shin hyesung, or... hm... Kangta? XD hahaha whatever. but yeah i know you guys get my point.

and speaking of boy groups, i remembered 'Masculados' or sth. T__T omgoshhh! i dunno but they're SO corny to me. anyways, lets not talk abt them. they're not even r&b. T____T

wow, this R&B thread has turned into discuss Filipino musical preferences. (and I'm part of the guilty party. Maybe someone should make a thread about OPM) anyway, I just remembered there was a boyband called Jeremiah some time ago. Their songs had a touch or feel of R&B.

I was not a fan of them but I remember hearing their songs and seeing their mvs when I went home for vacation some years ago. I even remember a line to one of their songs: Nanghihinayang, nanghihinayang ang puso ko..

whatever happened to those guys?

^Oh yess!!!

i listened to them when i was around 5/6!! XD hahaa

Guest whizzer's_rose

me too, I'm getting tired of MYMP because all they do is revive songs...I hope that they'll make more new songs.

i like nina and kyla but if you are asking for some r&b dance singer we have none...I doubt that if anyone would copy rain or se7en's style in here, they'll just end going nowhere. I wonder why foreign r&b dance singers like se7en and rain are popular but if a local one will try it won't

Archived