❤ Park Shin Hye 박신혜 ❤ | Current Drama: Doctor Slump - Sat & Sun @10:30 PM [Upcoming Drama 2024: Judge From Hell]

NileRose

[INTERVIEW]

Park Shin-hye (1)

2009102823060456015_1.jpg

Actress Park Shin-hye [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

10: You were in shoot early this morning. What was the scene about?

Park: It's a scene where Mi-nam becomes heartbroken after U Hae-ee and Tae-kyung become officially recognized as a couple at U Hae-ee's film premiere. I know we were in shooting but I sort of felt a bitterness too -- I think I'm really becoming assimilated with my character. (laugh) And Uee is so pretty and beautiful that I really do think 'Wow, all guys must really like pretty girls like her'. Even the staff on set don't see me as a guy anymore. (laugh)

10: But the reaction from female fans are hot. (laugh)

Park: I'm lucky. There can be anti-fans when there is one female actress amongst four actors but I think "Minamishineyo" is getting good response because it's about a story where a girl tries to live amongst guys as a guy. I recently was in Gapyeong for a shoot in front of a high school and I had fallen asleep while waiting for my scene when I heard several hundreds of girls scream at me. And they were shouting "Mi-nam oppa! (a title girls use to refer to older guys)" They weren't calling me "Shin-hye unni! (a title girls use to refer to older girls)" Oh, but that doesn't mean I don't have anymore guy fans. I was once shooting in downtown Seoul when businessmen in suits recognized me and said I was cute which made me feel good. Another man I met while shopping for props for the drama, remembered me from the first episode and called me a nun. I was happy because he said he enjoys watching the show.

10: Your character though, is actually very different from what we had expected her to be like. How did you approach Mi-nam's character who is a girl in man disguise but is actually not even manly or easy going in personality?

Park: I think that's because of the images that were fixed from previous dramas where women disguise as men. There actually are a lot of feminine guys too, even amongst my own friends or stylists and artists that I know. So if I pretend to be a guy, it doesn't mean I have to be manly and my character is originally very ladylike so I thought she would become someone different altogether if she suddenly became really manly. The producer and writers too thought that I need to pretend to be a guy, not actually become one, so they asked that my tone of voice be somewhere in the middle where it would be bright as a girl but not too low or boyish as a guy. That was really hard (laugh). I know the viewers probably also thought my character was weird in the beginning because they've never seen anything like it before but I think they've come to like Mi-nam for who she is and start to understand the character.

10: What's the atmosphere like on set? You're acting with actors your own age in comparison to other dramas these days where the average age of actors is pretty high.

Park: A lot of things which would never happen on other sets happen on ours. (laugh) It probably would've been quieter if our seniors were here but we make a lot of bloopers because we laugh a lot. (laugh) If one person thinks of the prank he played on another person and his lips start quivering, then the other person will go off and start laughing. And each character has his or her own lingo which we keep copying and that really sets us off.

2009102823060456015_2.jpg

10: The scene where you danced a parody version of Girls' Generation's "Genie" in the epilogue became a sensation.

Park: We shot various versions for Girls' Generation, 2NE1, Roo'ra etc all in one day. If you look at it closely, you'll notice that the choreography is wrong in parts. (laugh) Oh, by the way, I did Jung Yong-hwa's make-up for "Genie" as well as mine. I thought the guys wouldn't put on make-up but Jang Keun-suk and Lee Hong-ki were so I told Yong-hwa that I would turn him into Tiffany and used pink eye shadow on him. How everyone looked so pretty!

10: Wasn't it difficult becoming close with your fellow actors as the only actress?

Park: It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I have an older brother at home and my cousins are mostly guys so all my memories from my childhood are of me playing soccer, basketball or tetris with them. I think that's why I have a lot of guy friends at school too. Both Jang and Park are quite friendly and Lee was a little shy at first but everyone soon became surprised at how quickly we became friends. He says he's not even worried about being misunderstood as dating me even if we went on a trip together! It's sort of sad in a way. (laugh)

10: You had shot a TV commercial with Jang before and you're working with him again. It seems that you two seem to hold the drama together.

Park: I think Park is probably doing it better than I am. He's very playful and likes to pull pranks but is also very sweet. You'd think he'd be more individualistic because he's very ambitious about acting but he is good at controlling the atmosphere on set and takes good care of the team. I think I know why so many producers and writers like him so much. And I get goosebumps when I see him concentrate. I guess we do work together pretty well. When he throws lines at me which weren't in the script, I'll throw lines back at him and our acting will keep flowing. I think he knows how I'll respond to what he does.

Reporter : Choi Ji-Eun five@10asia.co.kr

Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr, Lee Ji-Hye seven@10asia.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

• Like 4

[INTERVIEW]

Park Shin-hye (2)

2009102822263376577_1.jpg

10: This is the first drama you're appearing in since "Kimchee Radish Cubes" a year and a half ago. The break was relatively long this time considering the fact that you debuted in middle school and had appeared in several dramas and films throughout your high school years.

Park Shin-hye: I had taken only very short breaks after appearing in "Stairway to Heaven" in 2003 so I wanted to take a rest and go to school after "Kimchee". There were some achievements I made while showing myself to people but I myself had a hard time. I'm still young but I was even younger back then. And if I come to think about it, I was just so happy and was having fun about playing the lead role in a movie when I was in high school but if I think about it now, I think I just went for it without knowing anything. I just had so much fun acting back then, not knowing anything about the reality of the entertainment industry or what TV is about. I sometimes think I must've been very stupid or simple-minded. (laugh)

10: I think you were able to be under relatively less stress and have more freedom compared to other celebrities your age because you debuted and spent your teens under singer Lee Seung-hwan's company, also your former agency Dream Factory.

Park: Lee didn't like making young people do this and that. He was always under the belief that I would make it even if my ratings were bad so I think I too was able not to be pressured about it. I also believed that I needed to experience everything that people my age to in order to express it in my acting and everyone -- my parents, managers and Lee -- all supported me in that aspect. No matter how much I would hang out with my friends, go watch baseball, go to the theatres and amusement park, they all believed in me. And that I wouldn't cause any trouble. I don't think it's good to keep myself trapped up too much before I turn 20. No matter how often people recognize me and point at me, I like it that I can be just myself when I'm with my friends. And I think it's a blessing that I can have people around me who help me to do that.

10: You got into Joongang University's acting major last year and it became a sensation because there are a lot of actors including Ara, Kim Bum and Kim So-eun.

Park: All four of us went to our classes so well during our first semester of our first year that people around us thought it was weird. That's how much we were attached to our school life. Ara was even shooting a drama during that time. And then as Bum and So-eun took leaves to shoot "Boys Over Flowers" and I saw that everyone else was acting, I became a little worried because I was the only one left in school. But I think everyone has a time when they get to do their thing.

10: Then how did you spend your past year in school?

Park: I prepared for exams, wrote reports and was busy in my own way with friends. I also learned to do a bit of swimming, dance ballet and Chinese characters. And I watched a lot of plays at work but also stagework behind the scenes which was a lot of fun. I'm on a leave right now but I'm going to go to my classes well once I return last year.

2009102822263376577_2.jpg

10: You have been called an 'up and coming star' for the past couple of years but I think you must have also worried about having to grow as an actor.

Park: I did a lot. Back then, I used to think it would be advantageous taking on roles older than my age, and I actually still do, but I hit a wall because I was trying to act out some things I had never experienced before. I felt that even more so when shooting "Kimchee Radish Cubes" and on the other hand, I didn't want to play the role of someone who is depressed. I know some people may have thought it would have been better if I had taken on an older role but I thought I would be going around in circles. I really wanted to do "Minamishineyo" because it's about people my age and my actual personality is very similar to my character's. (laugh) So I think it actually may take me a step forward from being an 'up and coming star'.

10: I think you will probably also be able to related better with the romance between Tae-kyung, Mi-nam and Shin-woo than in the sad melodrama roles you played previously in "Stairway to Heaven" or "Goong S".

Park: I had a friend in a similar situation. Two guys liked one of my friends but she was the only one who didn't know about it. Mi-nam's personality is very similar to hers so there actually are parts where I gained ideas from her. Having seen the process myself helps in trying to understand and imagine the emotions.

10: You must have been pressured about the rating though since this is your first drama in a while and you're the main female character.

Park: I would be lying if I said I hadn't been in the beginning but I think we're doing pretty well now. And it's continuing to go up so I'm thinking that we just need to keep trying harder. Thankfully, the evaluations are good and people are talking about it so I think that pressure has gone now. I don't have time to worry about the ratings anymore anyway so if I keep working hard, I believe it will be reflected in the drama.

10: "Minamishineyo" could be set as the start to the second chapter of your acting career. What dreams do you have, now that you're just about to enter your 20s?

Park: I'm going to be an adult soon so I want to try going on a backpacking trip. And I think I've slightly surpassed the point of being called a 'up and coming star' in regards to my work. So it's my goal, for this year and the years to come between the years of 20 and 25, to become an actress who can do a wide range of acting with my own character. I want to show more of my possibilities as actress Park Shin-hye.

Reporter : Choi Ji-Eun <five@10asia.co.kr>

Photographer : Chae ki-won <ten@10asia.co.kr>

Editor : Jessica Kim <jesskim@asiae.co.kr>, Lee Ji-Hye<seven@10asia.co.kr>

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

[2009] Park Shin-hye is tired but happy

by javabeans

minam86.jpg

The following is an interview with Park Shin-hye in Movieweek about her role as the crossdressing nun (apprentice) in You’re Beautiful. I think she, like Jang Geun-seok, had shown a lot of potential at a young age but sorta glided by in average performances for a while. But in this spunky trendy drama, I find both are really bursting with personality, and it sounds like the fun is alive both in front of and behind the cameras.

You’re Beautiful‘s Park Shin-hye: “I have dark circles under my eyes… The new challenge is thrilling!”

MOVIEWEEK: I didn’t know you had such a bright side.

PARK SHIN-HYE: “I’ve taken on a lot of quiet, sad roles till now. That’s why a lot of people have told me that they’re seeing a new side to me in this drama. But actually, Go Mi-nyeo is a bit like me. We’re similar in how we bump into things left and right, and how we mean well with good intentions, but end up causing accidents and trouble.” (Laughs)

What was your biggest reason for taking on the role of Go Mi-nyeo?

“The roles I had taken in the past were mostly older than my real age. [Park is 19.] In Radish Kimchi [깍두기], I played 23 years old [when she was 17]. Since I was playing twentysomething adult roles since high school, I wasn’t able to show my true personality. When I received the synopsis to this drama, Mi-nyeo was so lovable, and she was my age, too. I thought that I would be able to bring her to life. I read the script without putting it down, like I was reading a manhwa book. The biggest reasons were that I would be able to show a different side to my acting and that I would finally be able to act appropriate to my age.”

Said the manager next to her, “This was the first time Shin-hye said she wanted to do a project as soon as she read the synopsis.”

PARK: “Before that, when a project came in, I deliberated a lot over it, thinking, ‘Will I be able to perform this role well? She’s older and has a soft image…’ But as soon as I read this synopsis, I thought, ‘This must not go to anyone else. I absolutely have to do this.'” (Laughs)

Did you feel the burden of having to dress as a boy?

“Honestly, a little. Dressing as a boy usually means you have to speak with a lower voice and swagger and trudge along. Maybe that’s why after the first episode aired, there was a lot of talk about, ‘What kind of boy-acting is that?” A lot of people said, ‘Her voice is high and the way she talks and acts is like she’s trying to be cute.’ However, I think of it not as me as Park Shin-hye trying to act as a man, but Go Mi-nyeo trying to act as a man. Mi-nyeo is really cute and lovable. She has to act as her twin brother Go Mi-nam, so if we get rid of her feminine side, I think Mi-nyeo would completely disappear. So although there was a lot of that kind of talk following the first episode, the nun’s grace that Mi-nyeo possesses can’t change overnight just because she is forced to act as a man to take her brother’s place. I think the important thing is to mix these particular characteristics of Mi-nyeo’s.”

minam76.jpg

Visually, you’ve undergone a big transformation. Did you feel sad to cut your long hair?

“In Episode 1 when Mi-nyeo cuts off her long hair with scissors, I was really cutting my own hair. Because of that scene, the director wouldn’t let me cut my hair for a while. However, in the filming schedule we shot Mi-nyeo with her short hair first, so in some scenes I used a wig. That’s why there are some scenes that look a little awkward. But I’d already cut my hair short when I filmed Radish Kimchi. Back then, I did cry back in the salon. (Laughs) The end of my nose is roundish and I have a dimple in my chin. Maybe that’s why when my hair is short, I think I look androgynous.”

You’re getting a lot of envy from female viewers because you’re surrounded by such pretty men as Jang Geun-seok, Jung Yong-hwa, and Lee Hong-ki.

“That’s why I thought I would gain anti-fans. But if you look at the drama homepage, there really are no anti posts at all. Or maybe they don’t see me as a girl. (Laughs) In any case, I’ve gained a ton of female fans. On my personal homepage, there are really a lot of posts that say, ‘Shin-hye unni!’ or ‘Ms. Shin-hye, I’m a few years older than you…’ It makes me think all that much more that I chose well with this role.”

From the recently released photos of the filming set, it looks like you’re good friends with the actors.

“The news has already spread that our shooting atmosphere is great. We really don’t have any unsociable people. Even if we’re all tired and have dark circles under our eyes, we laugh as we film. (Laughs) Geun-seok oppa and I have been close since shooting a cosmetics CF together. It was hardest to become friends with Hong-ki. Contrary to his appearance, he hides his feelings well. We’re the same age, but at first we didn’t really communicate easily. But then, as we were talking about something, it’s like we totally hit it off with a bang. So now Hong-ki says to me, ‘Shin-hye, I think even if I went on a trip with you, we wouldn’t cause a scandal.’ He means we’re good friends, but still, it made me wonder if he didn’t see me as a girl.” (Laughs)

minam64.jpg

It’s only in the drama, but how does it feel to experience life as part of a popular pop group?

“I’d always wanted to try living together [with other group members]. You can do as you like at home, but no matter how friendly you are with your group members, they’re still not family so there’s a line you can’t cross. While filming, the thing I felt most was, ‘If we don’t look out for each other, we can’t stay together as a team for long.’ If you look at the groups that have stayed active together for a long time, it’s really amazing. I’m sure they have personal ambitions, but they learn to compromise with each other and stick together as a team.”

You sang songs yourself for the drama, didn’t you?

“Yes. In Episode 1, there’s a scene where Mi-nyeo sings in front of Tae-kyung [Jang Geun-seok]. That song is my theme, and I sang it myself. It’s a style of song I like and it seemed to suit my voice, so when that scene came up, I felt glad. This is the first time I’m participating on a drama OST. People who know that I had initially wanted to debut as a singer think that I have a really good voice. But although my dancing was okay, my voice was lacking. (Laughs) It turned out that I got another chance to change my path and act, and I’m glad that I’m able to show a new side to myself this time.”

Do you have any thoughts of pursuing singing activities in reality?

Phew, I don’t think I could do it. Hearing from Hong-ki, it’s pretty tough. Plus, I get to sing on a drama OST like this. That’s why I think, ‘Ah, I’m happiest here, right now in this spot. Let’s not get greedy.’ (Laughs)”

cr: Movieweek / http://www.dramabeans.com/2009/10/park-shin-hye-is-tired-but-happy/

• Like 4

[ARTICLE] Park Shin Hye appointed to be the ambassador for SICAF2009

July 16, 2009

D5MMyicUEAAgO6w.png

Investors in the advertising industry have chosen actress Park Shin Hye (Goong S) to promote the cartoon and animation. On July 14, Park Shin Hye attended the festival and have pictures taken with the two mascots, ‘범이’ (Beommi) and ‘땡고추’ (DdaengGoChu)

According to SICAF organizers, they picked Park Shin Hye because of her popular and youthful image. SICAF seeks to find audience who love manga/comic and animation, and hope that Park Shin Hye can promote their goal through her image. They expect her to share their dreams and hopes to the audience, sending the message across about SICAF.

Park Shin Hye herself is a fan of manga and anime. She mentions that she’s never tired of watching anime and manga everyday, as it usually shows almost like everyday stuffs but plus the full of imagination and charms. She also praises the event as it brings ‘happy memories of my own childhood’ and wishes that through SICAF events, all citizens can enjoy the happy memories together. “Every year I wait for SICAF to come out. And during the festival, anime and manga fans can also enjoy ‘블리치 3기’ (Bleach 3) movie,” she adds with a glowing, happy smile on her face.

D5MMXcQUYAABa7Q.png

D5MMY2PU0AE2A2n.png

Spoiler

D5MMaHcUEAEmGgB.png

Spoiler

D5MMbXqUYAAfxeZ.png

credit: jazzholic

• Like 3

Entertainment Icon! whew! I almost forgot about Shinhye under ABBA Ent.! :w00t: After DreamFactory, CloudFish, she entered a contract with ABBA Ent., then 4HIM and now at SALT Ent.

-----------------------------------------

[ARTICLE] It Girl ‘Park Shinhye’ is ABBA Ent. Exclusive Artist

July 30, 2009

D5MPieBUEAAjqUp.png

The new Entertainment icon ‘Park Shinhye’ has signed herself an exclusive contract with ABBA Entertainment.

It Girl ‘Park Shinhye’ decides to be an even more professional actress and followed other artist such as : Chae Jung ahn, Han Jimin, Kim Jeonghwa and Min Hyorin to join ABBA Entertainment. Recently, Park Shinhye has been showing her mature side and getting people’s attention as the new It Girl / Hot Icon.

Park Shinhye debuted on 2003 as an MV model for Lee Seunghwan’s song ‘Got-Flower’ when she appeared with her pure and young image. Then she casted for popular drama ‘Stairway to Heaven’ as she gained more attention. Then she also appeared in Sitcom ‘cute or crazy’, drama ‘Seoul 1945′. And don’t forget her role as a member of a royal family, young and rich girl in MBC Drama with Singer SE7EN titled ‘Goong S’.

Recently, Park Shinhye is named as the new CF Queen as she is chosen to endorse several brand with famous Male Star like ‘Etude’ (with Lee Minho) and ‘Dynamic Kin’ (with Kim Hyunjoong).

Abba Entertainment,” Park Shinhye is a young and talented actress, we are more than happy to have her in the agency. She has many potentials to developed and she will show it to the people”.

Meanwhile, Park Shinhye recently flew to New Caledonia for her tv show in Olive TV titled “Park Shinhye in New Caledonia – Take it Paradise!”.

D5MPRAOUEAAhQl_.png

credit: hallyuism

• Like 3

[2009]  Keep Fit Like Park Shin Hye

Actress Park Shin Hye reveals her newly toned body shape in the April issue of Elle Girl with a healthier and more mature look. This after she started working out regularly after joining the Nike Training Club. The Nike Training Clubs aims to encourage women in their 20s to lead a healthier lifestyle with regular exercising and hopes to get more to adopt this as a part of their life with their Be Transformed campaign. You will be able to hear Park Shin Hye's thoughts about this through her interview in the latest issue of Elle Girl.

Spoiler

ANhZONxDfrL_JIdox-OngFCMYBMDbOaojJmf4oZmh2fZ7vf2YzTfR4n7jyBKdG3QbbM523EBCOd0dZsCfy97tw

ANhZONxDfrL_JIdox-OngJzF07WNy_e0P04nWOLIDoMZbXgibyGnMiPLvv1A_2q1uD2juRPnwIVGbPxhWw2mEA

ANhZONxDfrL_JIdox-OngFCMYBMDbOaojJmf4oZmh2eKs1RfCsnww0sVYdxxlfG7co7_UJugNFBcSmvZk83rFg

Spoiler

ANhZONxDfrL_JIdox-OngJzF07WNy_e0P04nWOLIDoN1KIVKqqYg0Iem2qTOqHC6IAurXj3TBg8w4MxBcDA8Bw

Spoiler

ANhZONxDfrL_JIdox-OngFCMYBMDbOaojJmf4oZmh2dfjo7lp_yEKK7BO-aHKoxfaYb5mmJPu9Zk30lOO_52fg

ANhZONxDfrL_JIdox-OngNmZtdLFrBQ7ka6PbsypUd1j6x8kQokmphiPkFg1z9atHx01jWKMH5kAaUiv1kjlVgcr: https://omonatheydidnt.livejournal.com/139979.html

• Like 4

On 12/6/2009 at 10:22 AM, 13sunshine said:

here is a picture of Shin Hye and her manager...and wow he's a handsome one LOL lucky guy!!!!!

D5NH2UNU0AAXIrg.png

When Jung Yonghwa was mistaken as Shinhye's manager :D:lol: 

And their reaction was...He's young & hot...looks like L in Death Note...Geunsuk must act faster hahaha :lol:

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

“Memories Of Alhambra” A Gripping Messy AR-Gaming Drama – Spoiler Free Review

April 27th, 2019|Categories: Kdramas Recap|Tags: Memories Of Alhambra

Memories-Of-Alhambra-review.jpg

Memories Of Alhambra” boasts as the first Kdrama focused on AR Games, with a budget of $25 million, you beat they delivered!

“Memories Of Alhambra” is one of the most interesting kdramas I have watched in recent years, and I watched A LOT! However, it has some serious flaws.

I didn’t have extremely high expectations going in because it appeared to be yet another tale about prince charming and the damsel in distress. However, I was shocked by what it turned out to be.

Despite the hype, the finale of this drama left many wondering if it was worth it or not. So in case you’re wondering whether you should watch or not, I am here to discuss the drama without getting into spoilers, I hope this helps you decide whether you should watch or not.

[note: this review is subjective.]

The Story Line

Characters And Performances

Memories-of-the-Alhambra-review-and-recap-28.jpg

Now this where kdrama fans also get into a heated debate around Park Shin Hye’s character.

The script is about this millionaire CEO (played by Hyun Bin) who finds out about Park Shin Hye’s brother invention [the AR game]. They get involved together and obviously fall in love.

The script was designed in a way that focuses mostly on the male lead not the female lead. We’re used to seeing Park Shin Hye lead her dramas; in this drama she takes the backseat and never truly shine.

Park Shin Hye’s character is your basic damsel in distress. She cries often, she worries often; she does almost nothing of substance throughout the drama runtime which is sad because Park Shin Hye could have benefited the drama well.

She plays the role of Hee Joo, a diligent woman who takes good care of her family and has done so since she was little. She is talented but overpowered by circumstances which led her to give up her true dreams in search of a better income only to settle for a life of misery as a part-timer.

Memories-of-the-Alhambra-review-and-recap-29.jpg

Park Shin Hye takes on another role in the drama as well. However, I can’t talk about it because it’s too complicated and we’ll get into spoilers. The second role she takes on is far more interesting than the main role.

Despite the fact that she played two characters, I found her character disposable for the most part. There are episodes were she literally appears for like only 10 minutes or so.

She did very well in the drama, as expected. However, I personally would have given this role to a rising actress or a talented unknown actress who could have benefited from Hyun Bin’s status; I would have NEVER picked Park Shin Hye.

With her small role in the drama, I don’t understand what honestly compelled her to choose it to begin with. It’s not like she’s doing badly or her character is bad but it’s really insignificant. That’s all.

This is why some kdrama fans were not happy with how the writer dealt with Park Shin Hye’s character.

Her brother is played by EXO’s Chanyeol. He’s a key character in the drama but only briefly appears in it. He basically controls the entire drama with his actions.

full article:  https://www.jazminemedia.com/2019/04/memories-of-alhambra-spoiler-free-review/

• Like 5

8 hours ago, lduc said:

“Memories Of Alhambra” A Gripping Messy AR-Gaming Drama – Spoiler Free Review

April 27th, 2019|Categories: Kdramas Recap|Tags: Memories Of Alhambra

Spoiler

Memories-Of-Alhambra-review.jpg

Memories Of Alhambra” boasts as the first Kdrama focused on AR Games, with a budget of $25 million, you beat they delivered!

“Memories Of Alhambra” is one of the most interesting kdramas I have watched in recent years, and I watched A LOT! However, it has some serious flaws.
I didn’t have extremely high expectations going in because it appeared to be yet another tale about prince charming and the damsel in distress. However, I was shocked by what it turned out to be.

Despite the hype, the finale of this drama left many wondering if it was worth it or not. So in case you’re wondering whether you should watch or not, I am here to discuss the drama without getting into spoilers, I hope this helps you decide whether you should watch or not.

[note: this review is subjective.]

The Story Line

Characters And Performances

Spoiler

Memories-of-the-Alhambra-review-and-recap-28.jpg

Now this where kdrama fans also get into a heated debate around Park Shin Hye’s character.

The script is about this millionaire CEO (played by Hyun Bin) who finds out about Park Shin Hye’s brother invention [the AR game]. They get involved together and obviously fall in love.

The script was designed in a way that focuses mostly on the male lead not the female lead. We’re used to seeing Park Shin Hye lead her dramas; in this drama she takes the backseat and never truly shine.

Park Shin Hye’s character is your basic damsel in distress. She cries often, she worries often; she does almost nothing of substance throughout the drama runtime which is sad because Park Shin Hye could have benefited the drama well.

She plays the role of Hee Joo, a diligent woman who takes good care of her family and has done so since she was little. She is talented but overpowered by circumstances which led her to give up her true dreams in search of a better income only to settle for a life of misery as a part-timer.

Spoiler

Memories-of-the-Alhambra-review-and-recap-29.jpg

Park Shin Hye takes on another role in the drama as well. However, I can’t talk about it because it’s too complicated and we’ll get into spoilers. The second role she takes on is far more interesting than the main role.

Despite the fact that she played two characters, I found her character disposable for the most part. There are episodes were she literally appears for like only 10 minutes or so.

She did very well in the drama, as expected. However, I personally would have given this role to a rising actress or a talented unknown actress who could have benefited from Hyun Bin’s status; I would have NEVER picked Park Shin Hye.

With her small role in the drama, I don’t understand what honestly compelled her to choose it to begin with. It’s not like she’s doing badly or her character is bad but it’s really insignificant. That’s all.

This is why some kdrama fans were not happy with how the writer dealt with Park Shin Hye’s character.

Spoiler

Her brother is played by EXO’s Chanyeol. He’s a key character in the drama but only briefly appears in it. He basically controls the entire drama with his actions.

full article:  https://www.jazminemedia.com/2019/04/memories-of-alhambra-spoiler-free-review/

Honestly, I'm aware that Shinhye got a lot of negative reviews. Not because she did poor in acting but mainly because of how under developed her character is, for alot, which points to writer SJJ. Now, is Heejoo irrelevant to the story? I don't think so. She is very important. MoA would be the most depressing drama ever if it's all about Jinwoo, more so making Heejoo his rival! I think not only Jinwoo would be dead for real but I as viewer too. Heejoo is the very essence of MoA. She symbolizes TRUST, FAITH & HOPE. People just didn't get it. They fail to see the real message of the writer & drama :crazy: 

It reminds me of KRW in Doctors. He was a bigger star but he step back & supported Shinhye. How many actors would do the same? Who's not greedy of screen time and concerned only about themselves? Would Doctors attain the same success if other actor took on Jihong's role? Would MoA became this successfull if not for Shinhye's participation and would the leads' burning chemistry be the same? Shinhye is undoubtedly a big star but she's well capable of supporting her co lead as well. Heejoo's role is lesser compared to Jinwoo but she's not disposable and insignificant. Heejoo's role is much bigger than her other co stars. People only wanted it to be as big as Jinwoo when the story is basically about the hero. :crazy: I believed it was working with the writer, director and HyunBin that compelled her to accept MoA as she stated in the interviews.

I strongly agree on criteria below for those who plan in watching MoA. But I'd like to add another one: also for those who wants a drama with a very good message.  

• You’re a fan of Hyun Bin, Shin Hye or both.
  • You like interesting different kdramas that don’t follow the usual route

I'm not a fan of the writer initially becoz MoA is my first ever SJJ drama. Gladly, now I'm a fan of her :) I like unique, creative stories that short circuits my brain and something I haven't seen from my long years of watching Kdrama.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rori0711 said:

Honestly, I'm aware that Shinhye got a lot of negative reviews. Not because she did poor in acting but mainly because of how under developed her character is, for alot, which points to writer SJJ. Now, is Heejoo irrelevant to the story? I don't think so. She is very important. MoA would be the most depressing drama ever if it's all about Jinwoo, more so making Heejoo his rival! I think not only Jinwoo would be dead for real but I as viewer too. Heejoo is the very essence of MoA. She symbolizes TRUST, FAITH & HOPE. People just didn't get it. They fail to see the real message of the writer & drama :crazy: 

It reminds me of KRW in Doctors. He was a bigger star but he supports Shinhye. How many actors would do the same? Who's not greedy of screen time and concerned only about themselves? Would Doctors attain the same success if others took on Jihong's role? Would MoA became this successfull if not for Shinhye's participation and would the leads' burning chemistry be the same? Shinhye is undoubtedly a big star but she's well capable of supporting her co lead as well. Heejoo's role is lesser compared to Jinwoo but she's not disposable and insignificant. Heejoo's role is much bigger than her other co stars. People only wanted it to be as big as Jinwoo when the story is basically about the hero. :crazy: I believed it was working with the writer, director and HyunBin that compelled her to accept MoA as she stated in the interviews.

I strongly agree on criteria below for those who plan in watching MoA. But I'd like to add another one: also for those who wants a drama with a very good message.  

• You’re a fan of Hyun Bin, Shin Hye or both.
  • You like interesting different kdramas that don’t follow the usual route

I'm not a fan of the writer initially becoz MoA is my first ever SJJ drama. Gladly, now I'm a fan of her :) I like unique, creative stories that short circuits my brain and something I haven't seen from my long years of watching Kdrama.

Strongly agreed with you, many did not understand the message on the drama and Shin Hye ‘s character, and they unfairly  criticized her. I  guess, that comes with the type of work she does, I am sure she understands and learns from it. I am sure there is a reason why she took this drama, perhaps knowing the type character she was going to play, that we don’t know or we suspect., It is done, just keep moving forward,  looking forward for her next project. MOA is a worthwhile drama, not to the likes of many , but that is life! -_-

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, alcides14ahjumma said:

Strongly agreed with you, many did not understand the message on the drama and Shin Hye ‘s character, and they unfairly  criticized her. I  guess, that comes with the type of work she does, I am sure she understands and learns from it. I am sure there is a reason why she took this drama, perhaps knowing the type character she was going to play, that we don’t know or we suspect., It is done, just keep moving forward,  looking forward for her next project. MOA is a worthwhile drama, not to the likes of many , but that is life! -_-

Well said. I'm sure Shinhye will bounce back and prove to those who doubted her that she can take leading and supporting role with class act. Her biggest takeaway in M oA is not the ratings nor the Best Actress nominee nor top of buzzworthy ranking. It's working with acclaimed producers, writer, director and co actors such as Hyun Bin and Kim Euisung. It's working with international team at Spain. It's the experience that will last and Shinhye can used in her next project. MoA is not bad when you looked at it overall.

Look at IU, she was praised for You're the Best Lee Soonshin then got criticized for Bel Ami/He's Pretty, bounced back thru Producer then flat out in Scarlet Heart and now Baeksang nominee for Best Actress in My Mister. There's no use in crying over a spilled glass. God has purpose why it happened. God is preparing Shinhye for greater heights and more success. For Baeksang Best Actress and all other local award bodies. For Cannes Best Actress and othe Int'l awardings. For things beyond our imagination. ;):wub:

• Like 4

17 hours ago, rori0711 said:

Well said. I'm sure Shinhye will bounce back and prove to those who doubted her that she can take leading and supporting role with class act. Her biggest takeaway in M oA is not the ratings nor the Best Actress nominee nor top of buzzworthy ranking. It's working with acclaimed producers, writer, director and co actors such as Hyun Bin and Kim Euisung. It's working with international team at Spain. It's the experience that will last and Shinhye can used in her next project. MoA is not bad when you looked at it overall.

Look at IU, she was praised for You're the Best Lee Soonshin then got criticized for Bel Ami/He's Pretty, bounced back thru Producer then flat out in Scarlet Heart and now Baeksang nominee for Best Actress in My Mister. There's no use in crying over a spilled glass. God has purpose why it happened. God is preparing Shinhye for greater heights and more success. For Baeksang Best Actress and all other local award bodies. For Cannes Best Actress and othe Int'l awardings. For things beyond our imagination. ;):wub:

I will be happy knowing that she is happy, and she is the one freely choosing the path she is walking on, either professionally and personal. As a fan, I will always support her through thick and thin no matter the weather ! :wub: 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

[Short but sweet] Going all in with One Perfect Day

by missvictrix

OPD_1.jpg

Once upon a time I used to watch art films, independent films, foreign films, and important classic films. Then K-dramas happened. Though I still care about seminal films and filmmakers that changed the landscape of cinema, nothing has stuck to my heart like glue quite as much as K-dramas.

But if you’re like me and every now and then want to take a brief visit to the land of artistic films with long takes and carefully-crafted palettes, there’s a little gem of a short that I’d like to share: One Perfect Day. It stars Yoon Kye-sang as a sweet but hapless hero on the search for true love. The story follows him through the course of a single day as he not only gets dumped and treated like a loser, but finds a lost dog — and meets the woman of his dreams.

OPD_2.jpg

Truth be told, Kolon Sport actually sponsored One Perfect Day for their 40th anniversary in 2013, which makes it sound like a PPL train wreck. In actuality, there’s nothing PPL-y about this short drama at all. And the best thing about it being a brand-sponsored bit of marketing? It’s up on their YouTube channel for the world to enjoy.

One Perfect Day is artsy, subtle, and slow-paced. At 30 minutes long, it’s also just the right length and feels like an independent film. It tells a well-constructed story, but operates like a short story: We learn just enough, see just enough, and then it’s over. It’s more of a fragment than a fleshed-out story.

Inhabitants of dramaland are not very used to fragments. We’re used to long drawn-out stories that have more exposition than they probably need, so it’s easy for short pieces like this one to feel too spare, or even too quiet. But that’s exactly what makes One Perfect Day so enjoyable.

Spoiler

OPD_3A.jpg

Spoiler

OPD_3B.jpg

The story opens with our hero Woon-chul (Yoon Kye-sang) out on a disastrous blind date with Yoo-jin (Park Soo-jin). He tries to be slick, but he’s obviously out of his league — the kind of goofy, try-hard dude who tries to call himself “chic” but says “shitzu” instead. She puts up with him for longer than you’d imagine.

The Korean title of One Perfect Day translates more literally as “Rock, Paper, Scissors of Love” — and that’s because our hero is obsessed with the game. His date with Yoo-jin ends at a long flight of stairs up the street, and he insists they play a game of rock-paper-scissors to travel up the steps. The first one to the top is the winner — except when Woon-chul gets to the top, Yoo-jin has clearly lost on purpose. She ditches him (and flips him the bird) when they’re a staircase apart. The scene is an extended one, and Woon-chul is at his most mortifying to watch. But Yoon Kye-sang’s performance is so pitch perfect — for every bit of cringing, there is equal heartbreak, and seeing him realize the humiliation of what just happened is quite moving.

Spoiler

OPD_4.jpg

Woon-chul sits on the steps and revisits past heartbreaks (as one does in terrible moments like these) when a tiny white dog in a pink coat wanders over to him. In his loneliness, Woon-chul tells the dog all about rock-paper-scissors, and we get some backstory where his father (Ahn Nae-sang) teaches young Woon-chul the psychology of the game, the metaphors around each object, and some life lessons, too.

“Remember,” he says, “a man needs to know when to go all in and how to go all in.” His father tells him there will be a moment in his life when it all comes together. Suddenly it’s clear to us what’s driving Woon-chul’s crushes and dating disasters. He’s searching for that day, that woman, and that moment.

Spoiler

OPD_5A.jpg

Spoiler

OPD_5B.jpg

The psychology of rock-paper-scissors and Woon-chul’s life-long quest converge in the next and final scene, when he successfully returns the dog to its owner, Eun-hee (Park Shin-hye). This scene is the masterpiece of the drama. The editing changes to straight-on shots. The lighting and color palette is saturated, gorgeous, and magical, which contrasts from the rest of the drama. Petals fall lightly from the flowering trees around them, and the music signals an important shift. All of these elements come together to create a fabulous scene that captures the moment Woon-chul has been searching for.

This is hands-down my favorite Park Shin-hye performance to date — she’s perfectly directed here, and the performance is subtle and lovely. It’s also funny, like when she is reunited with her dog and spends several silent moments with her face buried while Woon-chul stands there completely agog. “She’s the one,” he tells himself. And what does he have up his sleeve to win her heart (or at least her attention) than suggest they play a game of rock-paper-scissors?

OPD_6.jpg

One Perfect Day is so well-crafted that you know what’s going on in this scene, and what’s at stake for our hero, without having to be told or reminded. Woon-chul is a man who’s based most of his moves on rock-paper-scissors; or in other words, he has let outside forces (a game of chance) determine his actions. But with Eun-hee, he’s presented with a completely new scenario. What if the mind games, predictions, and hubris that he usually deploys when playing the game were thrown aside? How much in life can be left to a game of chance, and how much is about making a choice and going all in, like his father told him?

One Perfect Day presents questions like this, but it’s mostly through subtext. The audience relies on the way the scene plays out, and the way the two actors play off of each other, to understand what’s going on beneath the surface. The story handles its questions gracefully, with room for interpretation, and then ends with a beautiful cut to black.

Stories like this can be quite refreshing, especially when contrasted with our more typical K-dramas that rarely leave questions hanging in the air. But One Perfect Day also has the same sweetness and simplicity that we’ve come to expect (and possible adore) from dramaland. This is what makes it the perfect mix of avant-garde and expected, film and drama, and serious and sweet.

Spoiler

OPD_7.jpg

cr: http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/04/short-but-sweet-going-all-in-with-one-perfect-day/

• Like 4
  • Love 1