[Drama 2003] Love Letter 러브레터

Guest polabola

Guest sarangie

woooo i saw this drama, only the first few eps....then the later eps i couldn't watch it..T.T

it's really a sweet drama.

i have to agree with tracycutie (incest wasn't part of this story line)

wasn't it a story of three good friends...

one of the guys wanted to become a priest but falls in love with the girl,

and for the girl, she's already fallen love with the (priest) guy...and it's a struggle...

'cus the guy who wants to become a priest is not the christian priest, but a catholic one (priest don't marry)

something like that...^^;; sorry if it's not right..

-edit-

opps..didn't know there was a description of the drama ^^;;;

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tphuong

I can't be much help on where to find the Jo Hyun Jae Love Letter, but many of the Love Letters on the web are a newer TV series. If I run across this particular Love Letter I'll post the site name.

I guess this drama is really old. Thank you for your help:)

Guest Priscilla

I just up-loaded this 'beauuuutiful' LOVE LETTER mv. This is fromBeautiful JHJ site

It's a long MV but it's worth watching. Skip the end if you don't want to know how this drama ends...

Here it is: (ysit links only last for like a week, so download NOW!) :wink:

ETERNAL LOVE mv (Love Letter)

NOw now... I asked this at ONLY YOU site too... but does anyone have the link for the LOVE LETTER original music video (by Tribi)? I remember watching this back in the days...

Guest citrus-fresh

ahh im watching this right now even though its so old...i've watched up to ep 7...and i duno where else i can dl o_o someone help me >__<

I like this drama. It was fairly good. All three main artists performed very well. Ji Jin Hee was awsome as a villain. Jo Hyun Jae was a little different here, and he did a good job especially when he's debating his love between God and the girl. Soo Ae was cute and you can see her transformation from a highschool student to a graduate and doctor. Well performed by her. It was not Ji Jin Hee's but Soo Ae's character annoyed the hell out of me at some parts. The last two eps. were very touching. I cried almost at every scene (well, except for the one where JHJ and JJH bathing. For some reason, I could not help laughing.) But overall, it's a good drama to watch. Well, I watched it because of Jo Hyun Jae.

Earlier someone said the characters a bit too old. I think if Choi Ji Woo and Bae Yong Joon can be highschool students, everybody else does not really matter that much.

Guest yongieee

OMGGGGG I WAS SOOOO OBSESSED WITH LOVE LETTER BACK THEN

hahaha i still love it

had the best story and best OSTs and the JO HYUN JYE <33333

..... but i dont remember any incest.. ?

OMGGGGG I WAS SOOOO OBSESSED WITH LOVE LETTER BACK THEN

hahaha i still love it

had the best story and best OSTs and the JO HYUN JYE <33333

..... but i dont remember any incest.. ?

The creator of this thread had corrected a few times that it was a wrong word. She meant that the relationship btw a priest and a girl is wrong. Clearly, no incest here.

Guest iDpEaCeBoA

YOU CAN WATCH LOVE LETTER HERE:

www.youtube.com

then search: Love Letter

and there you go ^__^

I AM WATCHING IT RIGHT NOW!

ahh. i love this drama.

it's like my favorite <3

EDIT:

sorry, but there is only Episodes 1~3 as of now =/

I hope that person will upload the rest soon!

YOU CAN WATCH LOVE LETTER HERE:

www.youtube.com

then search: Love Letter

and there you go ^__^

I AM WATCHING IT RIGHT NOW!

ahh. i love this drama.

it's like my favorite <3

EDIT:

sorry, but there is only Episodes 1~3 as of now =/

I hope that person will upload the rest soon!

thanks

aleast now i get a preview

Guest Priscilla

*****PLEAAAAAAZE.... DO NOT POST THIS ELSEWHERE WITHOUT PERMISSION!!!

~LOVE LETTER English script~

(translation by Priscilla)

LOVE LETTER: episode 1 (long summary)

LOVE LETTER: episode 2 (long summary)

LOVE LETTER: episode 3, full translation

LOVE LETTER: episode 4, full translation

LOVE LETTER: episode 5, full translation

LOVE LETTER: episode 6, full translation

LOVE LETTER: episode 7, full translation

LOVE LETTER: episode 8, full translation

LOVE LETTER: episode 9, full translation

LOVE LETTER: episode 10, full translation

LOVE LETTER: episode 11, full translation

LOVE LETTER: episode 12, full translation

LOVE LETTER: episode 13, full translation

LOVE LETTER: episode 14, full translation

LOVE LETTER: episode 15, full translation

LOVE LETTER: Final Episode 16, full translation

BTW,

I wanted to let you know I've been working on a JHJ thread at another site for many days now, non-stop... and I've been going through this and other JHJ related threads, and 'transferring' over many of the things I found... making sure I write proper credits. I was planning on telling you after the thing is done, but I realize the right step is to ASK YOUR PERMISSION first before reposting anything from here...

Sorry for my bad manners... indeed I've found so many meaty information here, but I'd go crazy were to ask everyone one by one... Thus, I'm asking openly: Can I use whatever you posted to build a JHJ thread elsewhere?

If you rather not... please PM me... I'll take those down even if I have to search through the entire thread I'm building right now. And I'll let you know when I'm done... I've been losing sleep over this, so this better be worth it! Well... I've been his fan since LOVE LETTER but I've forgotten him for a long time. Guess I'm just making up for the lost times. :P

Guest sunshine4ever

I finally got the chance to watch this drama...at first I thought it was really good and interesting..and even laughed while watching it...anyway, I'm on episode 12 and I'm so pissed at the main characters...especially Andrew and Eunha....I don't know why but they just make me felt like they're killing the plot...plus the actors are not even that interesting...I thought the guy that acted as Andrew can pull it off. I like Ji Jin Hee in this drama the most..at least he's very straightforward with what he wants and loves..

Guest ryisakooguy

^^^ really? i actually think out of all the series i have watched, woo-jin is one of the most "evil" characters. i really hated how obssessed he started to become. always listening to what his parents were saying, always dragging eun-ha with him, even making a key to get in her apartment, geez!

but "love letter" is one of the best dramas i have seen. especially the ending, i think it's the best ending i've seen so far of any drama. i even like it more than MISA just because it wasn't flashy. it was simple and truly touched your heart. it was about God, deep love (all kinds of love), and family.

the cast are so good looking and they each portrayed their roles so well. there were so many twists, i really couldn't believe it. it wasn't boring and had a nice pace. the OST is ASESOME! everytime i would head "you're my life, fell my love" - whether in a good moment or sad moment - it would make me tear.

i don't know why it says it's about incest, because it's NOT haha! but this is truly worth it. especially the ending, i cried so much... love letter JOA!!!

Guest Priscilla

I finally got the chance to watch this drama...at first I thought it was really good and interesting..and even laughed while watching it...anyway, I'm on episode 12 and I'm so pissed at the main characters...especially Andrew and Eunha....I don't know why but they just make me felt like they're killing the plot...plus the actors are not even that interesting...I thought the guy that acted as Andrew can pull it off. I like Ji Jin Hee in this drama the most..at least he's very straightforward with what he wants and loves..

Hi Sunshine, we meet again! And indeed I wasn't surprised you didn't like this series~ we both... do share different taste, remember? Thus, when you mentioned you didn't like Andrew but you like Ji Jin Hee's character, I let it go... Didn't want to get into another debate with you after WHIB, hee hee...

WHIB is your drama, I may concede, and in Korea, both SJS and JIS's fans were strongly divided, though JIS's were more outspoken. LOVE LETTER was different. I basically lived in the KOREAN love letter fan cafe back when this was aired, and let me tell you Andrew's fans comprised more than 90% of the people if not more. Once in a while, I found some shy fans asking... he heeemmm!~ain't there any Ji Jin Hee's fan over here? But that was it. Although this drama had low rating, it had many many internet fans who'd post so many inspirational thoughts... Those are indeed sweet memories for me!

Coincidentally, I'm rewatching this right now, and I'm up to episode 12... and I keep on realizing what a hypocrite that character is! I don't have time to put all my thoughts together, so I'll just post what I wrote in 2003. But why do I feel I dislike this 'leach' of a character less now than I did back then? WHAT A SELFISH brat, what a hypocrite!!~~ :vicx: could say more, but I'll leave this at that...

After translating the entire drama I've almost memorized the whole script, but this rewatch is hitting me again... reminding me of the beautiful message behind (though I do disagree with some of its theology). SO HERE IT IS... recovered from what I post looooong time ago:

RECOVERED FROM THE LOVELETTER MANIA CAFE:

"CAN WE PUT THE WHOLE BLAME TO JUNG WOO JIN?"

By Priscilla

At the KoreanFilm.org, during a discussion regarding Andrea's hidden wounds, someone asked:

>Why doesn't andrea just go to eunha after the year spent in

>italy? if he loves her, wut would it have mattered if she

>wrote him or not? He could've gone to her and demanded an

>explanation... y does he wait? y does he decide to forget?

>he KNEW eunha loved him since the beginning of their

>friendship... so WHY? if andrea just came on his own, this

>whole conflict could've been avoided... can we put the WHOLE

>blame on woojin's selfishness in stealing andrea's love

>letter?

What she wanted to say, in other words, was that Andrea was too indecisive and that he should take responsibility of his own actions instead of blaming others.

The following was my response (Apr-01-03):

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In my opinion, YES, we can put the WHOLE blame on Woojin's selfishness. If you go back to Episode 6, it's amazing how the writer inputed Woojin's letter to Andrea after his "year-probation" was over (Andrea couldn't write nor make phone calls before that). In that letter, not only did Woojin tell Andrea that "he and Eunha are getting along fine" (hinting they might get engaged) but he also wrote Andrea that "Eunha MOVED, still trying very hard to forget you."

You may think Andrea shouldn't have believed him... but he didn't know to what extreme Woojin was turning... and Andrea always tried to see the good in others. (Later on Episode 13, when Eunha tells him she loves Woojin, he knows better than to believe her, but not yet). The greatest factor though, is again... the fact that his mother abandoned him TWICE. This woman who claimed to love him and to think of him every second of her life... such a woman turned her backs on him. I don't think he was fully recovered from that shocking experience. Like I wrote before, this might have destroyed his self-image, making him believe people could easily abandon him (even those claiming to love him). When Eunha didn't respond, it must have shook him to the core... and then... Woojin's letter, explaining bout "their blossoming relationship."

We have to also consider he's not the demanding type. From his evil aunt (when he was a boy) he learnt to suffer in silence, and to endure without complaining. He grew up owing nothing and constantly giving... He doesn't know how to fight for his own rights. He'd rather give up, sacrifice... "for peace's sake." Later, in episode 12, he tells his mother: "Yes, it's because of you. Because you abandoned me, that's all I learnt. To give up and to endure. And to get sick as I endured, that's all I learnt. So all I had left was to become a priest."

Hey, but I must retract from what I just said. We can't put the WHOLE blame on Woojin... I think Andrea's mother is even more responsible for all this mess...

Guest Priscilla

Hi, I've been saying this for a long time, but I've been working on a JHJ thread at another site for a couple of weeks, collecting many infor everywhere I can, starting from soompi... Before this, I used to spend lots of time translating, but I felt I didn't need to for now... there are enough English sites already...

Though it's an ongoing work, I feel I'm now ready to introduce this thread to all JHJ's fans. It's at a So Ji Sub's Fan site, but I assure you the webmasters are the friendliest you can think of! You need to register, which only takes 30 seconds... and BINGO!!!

Hope to see yah there!: SWEET JHJ Space at JSA!

On the other hand, this thread's so quite I wonder if anyone would read this... I remember opening a LL thread back when this was aired and getting myself into hitted discussions... it still remains a very special drama for me... Since I'm doing a rewatch right now, I wouldn't mind reviving some of the old 'discussions' bout this drama. But I can't do it alone. :(

***The following is a sample of some 'old Love Letter' rantings I collected there, from of old...

from the archives of LOVE LETTER MANIAC CAFE...

Apr-02-03, 02:27 PM (Seoul Time)

Oh, mother! Why... have you... abandoned me???

SPOILER ALERT!!!

At the Koreanfilm.org, someone asked:

Question - what was Andrea expecting from his Mom? That she leaves her current family to go live and start a new life with him? I saw that she wanted to have a balance, just because she felt she can't just dump her family for Andrea..which I found as a natural instinct. I didn't think she was that selfish in that respect, it was her husband and son who was pressuring her to make a choice between them and Andrea. Why can't they just accept Andrea into the family. I know the father just felt guilty to even see the sight of Andrea...but I think he needs to make up for all he's done by accepting the relationship between Andrea and his mom.

THIS IS MY REPLY:

This mother was the most unreal mother to me. Her mistake BEGAN right when her husband died. Let's say she was too traumatized with "post-partom" depression, and that she was crazy, and didn't have the strengh to fight with her sister-in-law for her SON (and we see her sister-in-law was only interested in the inheritance and not on the child). Or let's say, like she later admits, that she wanted to forget JINSOO (as a way to continue living, cuz she loved JINSOO too much and her son reminded him of her dead beloved husband-which doesn't make sense...) so she abandoned her own and only son. Let's say she LOST her mind back then...

After one year goes by... or even 5 years... as she sees this other Woojin growing in her bossom (and as she later tells Andrea that she NEVER stopped thinking of her son), shouldn't she look for that son that in her times of dispair she abandoned? Her husband knew, there was no secret that she needed to hide... Her husband, because of guilt (which she didn't know), might oppose her, but shouldn't she still do what her "maternal instinct" was calling her for? What kept her from at least making sure that her son was well taken cared for? (As we know, he was beaten and abused, and his aunt wished to send him to the orphanage the first time she saw the uncle priest). She had the money, the resources... and she shouldn't fear of scandal or any such things as Andrea was her first husband's son... So this DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Then, when this woman takes Eunha to the Orphanage, her brother asked her: "Don't you want to see ANDREA?" She refused... well, maybe she was just trying to "avoid" facing that "internal longing" and guilt that was killing her. What I don't understand though, is that she didn't remember the name ANDREA. 2 years later, she sees this young man who is Eunha's friend, and an orphan by the name of ANDREA. Come on!!!! Her brother called him "Andrea" 2 years before... Did she forget her own son's NAME? Her brother had to remind her: "Don't you remember that name?"

Then, when she sees this great kid, warm and gentle... and learns who he is, she kept avoiding him, and crying for him in the dark. When she left that first time they met(because Woojin called her) after ANDREA knew who she was, like Eunha said: "she left cuz she didn't know he knew"... but it hurt the boy, to see this woman who abandoned him leave like that (without trying to stay longer). Eunha knew... she really knew him, so she tried to comfort him.

It's never easy to forgive. But there is healing in forgiveness. Then, it was again EUNHA who convinced the lady to seek her son. The lady sees him... and did she expect him to forgive her on the spot? Again, why would she leave so soon? As I was watching that, I felt that lady should have stayed and begged for his forgiveness longer than the few words she spoke to him. I'm telling you, it's only cuz Andrea has such a forgiving heart that he called her right then and there... He had that forgiving heart, yes... and he needed his "mom." He very much longed for her. Did she NOT see how hungry he was for her love?

When he went to Italy, I don't think Andrea was bittered. Actually, it was he himself who told her to go. Besides, he had Eunha. But when his beloved didn't respond, the hole that his mother left in his heart opened up. And like he told his uncle before (and later to Eunha): "he felt he was only a burden to his mother," only a source of irritation for her... and a piece of waste... A mere divorce destroys a child's self-confidence. What this lady did... must have been crushing to him. And this mother whose heart longed for ANDREA never really showed that love to him... never even looked for him afterwards.

After he comes back from Italy, the lady keeps avoiding him. Eunha explains to him: "She doesn't feel she has the rights to see you." She may not have the rights, but she must know that Andrea "needed" a mother's love too, it wasn't Woojin the only one needy of love. He told her before: "Mother... now I know how this feels... I don't think I could exchange this feeling for anything in the world." Andrea may reject her now, or "be cold" to her (as he was later when she finally gathered the courage to see him) but that's normal. WHAT did she expect? What did she ever do for him? She should have overcome his "cold-ness" and persevere to reach his heart (Eunha persevered even when Andrea was mean to her). She should have tried to "heal" her son's embittered heart. Embitterment does make one's life miserable...

What I like LEAST from what she did, was how she treated him after her second husband died. When Andrea~ prompted by Woojin's challenge~ told her "I rejected the professor's confession." Like someone else said in another forum, he's going to be a priest and NOT a saint. WHAt did everyone expect???? The lady couldn't bear to hear that? Was she also blaming him for her husband's death? If she really ever loved him... as his mother... she should have overcome the "trauma" of having a husband die on that day (who "killed" her previous husband) and she should have looked at Andrea's heart... Then, she would see how, behind his aloof mask, her son was torn more than she was: too shocked to know this man who "killed" his father... and married his mother... had killed himself "cuz Andrea failed to forgive the old man on the spot." He was thus being tormented by Woojin's accusation that "he killed the man," feeling that he was the killer now... a "horrendous priest." To such, the lady said... not to him directly, cuz she dared not look at his torment, but she told her brother: "take this boy and leave."

To me... she is IRRATIONAL and irresponsible. Do you know why I like her the least? (I like her less than I like Jung Woojin or his father) It's her inconsistency. To Woojin, she's ALWAYS giving, and even to her husband. In the outside, she's a saint. I think that hurt Andrea the most, that such a beautiful and wonderful woman failed... to love him.

***I had written this before the drama was over, so the reconcilliation part is missing. MORE CONTINUED...

Guest polabola

I'm back after a few weeks of idleness because I can't connect with this site...darn it....

almost all the episodes (w/ english subs) are now available at youtube.com. just type love letter at the search bar and you will find videos split into parts, as of now, 15 episodes are available courtesy of triela. There are NG's there too!

I will try to post more pics soon :)

I really love this drama! :D

Priscilla: I've been to your cool blog. It's very nice and informative, you can post whatever I post here on your jo hyun jae thread. Some of the pics I salvaged had watermarks on them hehehehhe

Guest Priscilla

Priscilla: I've been to your cool blog. It's very nice and informative, you can post whatever I post here on your jo hyun jae thread. Some of the pics I salvaged had watermarks on them hehehehhe

Greetings Polabola! Yeah, like you saw, I took the liberty to 'use' what you posted at this thread for my blog... so thank you! And you too... you can 'transfer' whatever you like from there if you want. For now, let me post the continuation of that 'weak mother' debate I was on during my 2003 LOVE LETTER face:

Re:Oh, mother... (PART II): LOVE is sacrifice

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

>

>

>

>

정워 wrote in defense of the 'mother' character (translated by Priscilla):

I too believe it was hard for Andrea to understand and to forgive his mother, but towards the end when she tells him "your mother doesn't expect anything from you, I just love you." This was when I felt her job in this drama was to show us what the unconditional love of a mother is, and going a step further, what the Love of God is like.

The scene you mentioned, where the lady doctor embraces the confused "boy Andrea," telling him: "Your mom doesn't want anything from you... Your mom just loves you, that's all... I love you, Andrea." This is one of my favorite scenes, because I feel the "boy's" heart started to heal right then and there. This boy who was thirsting for maternal love all his life was "breast-fed" for the first time... Before, no one was there during his times of most need (only God). In this scene though, while he was so needy... that mother embraced him, padded him, and gave him the maternal love he never received before. But this happened... during the last episode, #16. (it was only then that this 'mother' grew up!)

Does that make her a good mother? To me, she is a weak woman, and a terrible example of motherhood. Mother's sacrifice themselves for their children, they always protect, always give... Mother's would rather suffer than make their children suffer. Even a tired woman becomes a super woman in order to protect her little ones. When a mother sees her child in danger, she would jump towards the danger and kill if there is a need...

I remember watching a movie where a famous man's wife was kicked out of her family after she cheated on her husband. She later became a prostitute. One day, her friend and neighbour found out who she was in the past and he threatened to tell the News to reporters. That same day she killed that man. The reason: she wanted to protect the son she "abandoned" from the humilliating fact that she was a prostitute. I could understand this woman. She shows me how strong 'maternal love' is...

But for Lim KyungEun, her way of loving her only begotten son is quite the opposite. If she really loved him like she said, why would she "avoid" him after he came back from Italy? Was she afraid of his rejection? Or of her "family's" irrational jelousies? What's more important than to protect and keep your child from hurting? And if her present family was being irrational, shouldn't she try to persuade them and make them understand that 'unity and peace' is best for everyone? Instead, she continued feeding their irrational demands 'spoiling' them with her love almost to the point of making them 'handicap' (dependent on her).

To Jung Woojin, she said (episode 14): ""You've always been my choice. Yes, it was you. If it was for your good, I could give up anything, any time." She would sacrifice for Woojin~ this means she loves Woojin. So she gave up on Andrea. For Woojin's sake, she 'abandoned' Andrea...

Love is sacrifice. You sacrifice to protect your loved ones. She sacrificed for her present family. So she really loved them. Love always gives, always protects, always trusts, always forgives. She gave of herself, her deep longings, her dreams, her own heart... protecting her family, closing her eyes to her husband's 'guilts' and forgiving him and Woojin... Love is not stagnant, but it motivates to ACT. For love is powerful. So she showed through her actions that she loved her 'drunk' husband who irrationally made her give up on Andrea so many years ago... AND she told her "I do not regret it..." She acted upon her love towards him and she asked him to "please come home." Even after he killed himself, she went to the Convent "in order to love him more."

But she kept saying she loves (and longs for) her son Andrea so much that it hurts. Did she ever sacrifice for him? She abandoned him and tried hard to erase him from her memory, even forgetting his given name. What did she give him? Only hurts and regrets. And by her mere presence, she awoke in the warm Andrea a deep yearning for love that almost destroyed his character. And although she was rich, he was given no material possessions. Did she ever protect him? No. She was too busy protecting herself from him since it hurt her too much to see him... The son that reminded her of her mistakes... The son that would make her dream of what 'could have been.' To see him would make her feel like the worst of sinners~ beating at her heart.

I don't think she trusted him... She didn't know him and trust develops with time. She gave him no such chance. She kept on avoiding him because she felt 'he would never forgive her.' (When in fact, deep down, he was ready to forgive) And she would never forgive herself either... this was her self-punishment, her way of coping with her own guilt. The twisted irony is that she felt more guilt towards Woojin for "loving Andrea more than him," more so than for having abandoned Andrea. She pitied Woojin more, and she worried for him more. Many times, she tried to make up to Woojin for being a 'bad mom.' She did no such things for Andrea. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would go as far as saying she really didn't love Andrea. She just loved an image of "her son" but that image never forced her into true ACTION. Because she loved herself more than she loved Andrea. Like I said before, she was too busy protecting herself from being hurt she had no energy to think about "her son's" feelings.

Dearest 정원, you know I too worship God... But there is no way I could be convinced that Lee Kyung Eun reminds us of God's unconditional love. God's love is deeper and wider than words can describe. More beautiful than life. I still have a hard time believing this woman really loved her son... Like we mentioned, towards the end she said: "Your mom doesn't want anything from you... Your mom just loves you, that's all... I love you, Andrea." But this happened after Woojin put the unconscious Andrea right before her nose. It's only after Woojin gave her the "GO!" signal. So her love was 'conditioned' on Woojin's reactions and external circumstances... This is not my definition of "unconditional love."

hsh5ng said (translated by Priscilla):

Whenever I watch episode 16 where the mother tells Andrea that she loves him, I feel something's not right. I think that it was rather Andrea who loved his mother more and who forgave her greatly because of his love

Yes. If reconciliation was finally possible, it was thanks to Andrea's readiness to forgive, and for his thirst for a mother's love. His love towards his mother was more mature and real. It was through Andrea's way of loving... that I was rather reminded of God and of His never ending love.

=========================================

미와수 said (translated by Priscilla)

I don't condone the mother's behavior either, but I don't think she's such an unbelievable character. (I believe we can never understand everyone's actions in real life) Besides, it's very hard to express one's love openly...

However, this 'mother' very often showed her love towards everyone else. Besides, if doctor Lim Kyung Eun was not a lovely lady, I would have pitied her at least~ just like I pity Jung Woojin. If she was a wicked woman like evil aunt, I could have understood her better (because she was too selfish to think of other's feelings). A wicked woman may be able to abandon her child and live on without feeling much remorse?

But doctor Lim Kyung Eun played a 'good mother's' character... but why is it that she always sacrificed Andrea in order to protect Jung Woojin... this made me mad... wouldn't Andrea think there must be something wrong with him if such an 'angelic' character keeps on pushing him away again and again? Wouldn't he feel he doesn't have the rights to be loved? This was the reason why... at the last chapter... he tells his mother... "What do you want from me NOW, after all these years???!"

Archived