Lee Soo Hyuk 이수혁 [Upcoming Drama 2024 "Queen Woo"] [Upcoming Drama 2024 "S Line"]

partyon

Lee Soo Hyuk – Interview [January 2016 – Marie Claire] 1601mcmacemg12_03-2.jpg

Lee Soo-hyuk has changed. The cold-looking man who looked only a part of fantasy has now entered the world of the warm reality.

MOD EDIT: Put long posts and multiple pictures in spoiler tag

Spoiler

1601mcmacemg12_04-1.jpg

Lee Soo Hyuk is still leading a busy life. From January, 'Local Hero' will air on OCN. Shooting is in full swing already. He plays 'Choi Chan Gyu, a student who has been preparing for the police exam for 5 years. The body of the young man can fly through the physical exam and yet he is unemployed surplus in 'Local Hero' which tells of a story of a young man who is trained to become a local hero alongside a former agent.

Becoming somewhat more bright than an average local lad, Lee Soo Hyuk has changed hair colour and had a photoshoot with Marie Claire. It has been a while since we last saw him.

6b2419d73b623019c7a05da359f85716.jpg

Playing with him the film crew have long known of his hairstyle and chatter has begun for a while.

"Why have you gotten this bucket style. The fringe is outdated"

I think the style is very good.

"Yeah, that's when I was far thinner than now". There were no smartphones to set the date for photoshoot, and I recall not being good at English to easily navigate international markets."

Since then, quite a bit has changed. Now close to the age of men rather than boys, we've come a long way to see Lee Soo Hyuk of the screen too. Perhaps the sense of change came from the drama 'Valid Love', where a married woman fall sin love with 'Carpenter Kim'. Then we have 'King of High School' and 'Scholar Who Walks The Night', is seems he is on his way to populate his filmography with an aim.

"Aren't you glad you're gaining momentum and getting attention now". He seems resilient to the question, and in fact wanted to work faster and play more roles to overcome his shortcomings and break the image set in his awkward age.

A change in lee Soo hyuk, it's not just the hair colour that's changed. The man's temperature has changed.

1601mcmacemg12_05-1.jpg

1601mcmacemg12_02-1.jpg

1601mcmacemg12_06-1.jpg

The neighborhood guy, it’s an image that will be very different from the Lee Soo Hyuk we’re used too.

I’ve become much more at ease with the characters I play. I had always wanted to play characters with little less strength, but it wasn’t easy. It was probably because of the image I had because of my model activities. As I shot “High School King of Savyy” and “Valid Love”, I’ve come to really want to try more diverse roles. I finally met a character I’m very comfortable with.

The image we have of you is someone who is always serious and unconsciously mysterious. Was it a misunderstanding?

It seems that a lot of people think I’m a quiet person who only stays at home. I’m just an ordinary guy. I have hobbies similar to the ones guys my age have like assembling lego blocks. I get along well with my friends too. It’s nice that “Neighborhood Hero” allows me to play a man like Chan Gyu who is a bit more easygoing and familiar. I’ve been craving to try diverse acting these days.

Are you greedier/ambitious than before?

I worked like crazy when I was in my early 20’s. At that time, I worked on my own, without an agency. I was really on my own for a long time without being affiliated to an agency. That’s why I thought I had to create my image on my own. I didn’t want to show I was lacking. However, I’m a bit different now. I want to show you more things and I think I got the courage of being able to do so. It’s true that I’m also impatient.

Still, you had probably more freedom back then.

Of course, I was free. I was sure of my taste. As I’m getting older, the range of my tastes is getting wider. In the past, I just went only for the things I knew I liked and was satisfied with that. Now, I know about more things and I think the range of people who like me as an actor is getting wider too.

You probably feel once in a while that you miss this time of your life when you were free and so sure of what you liked?

I’m not the type to have regrets, so I don’t miss this time of my life. However, I keep good memories. I really had fun when I worked overseas all by myself. When I remember the times when I encountered problems because I couldn’t really speak English, I can’t believe the courage I had that made me do this back then. Maybe I was probably able to do it because I was young. That’s how I look at the fact that I worked a model and received a lot of love. After I started acting, I realized how much I was lacking in many areas.

Were there frustrating times while you were working as an actor?

More than frustration, I think it’s more accurate to say that I encountered a limit. I’ve always wanted to be an actor ever since I was kid, but, compared to my eagerness, I wasn’t sure that I had prepared myself in the proper way to become an actor. I couldn’t help but think that I should have studied more and practiced more before I stood in front of the audience as an actor. That’s why I didn’t take on any project for a year once “Shark” was over. I built up my body as I worked out, I put on some weight and I practiced acting and it was a time of change for me. When I think about it now, I do have the sad feeling that I should have changed myself that way first to start properly my acting career. If I had, wouldn’t I have shown an image a little bit less lacking? I have this sadness about that. I want to quickly destroy this image I showed you when I hadn’t been fully prepared.

What’s the biggest difference betwen the man you are today and the Lee Soo Hyuk from the past?

I feel like my attention only focused on the trends before. And everything was about image. For instance, there was a movie I liked when I was a kid. It was “Velvet GoldMine”. I don’t know if it was natural for me to think this way because I was a model, but I was like “life is about image”. (smiles) I think I was clinging onto things like that back then. Now, I figured out that this thing called “image” is something I can’t create the way I want to. And I also realized that it was more important than anything that I showed myself in the right way through my roles.

1601mcmacemg12_01-1.jpg

This interview is for the January issue. That’s why I will ask you question about your “first times”. The first tears of your life that you remember?

Ah, I really don’t remember. I almost never cry. Even when I watch a sad movie, I don’t cry. I only have the feeling of sadness. I probably cried when I was a kid because my mom didn’t buy me something I wanted.

First failure of your life?

I debuted as a model when I was 17 and I was lucky to receive so much love. I was confident about myself and I went to Paris with the intention to stand on stage during Paris collection shows. I spent more than a month over there in order to go to casting sessions, but none of them worked out. At that time, throughout the entire collection shows, there was only just one Asian model and he was Chinese. I only ate kebabs while staying over there and I came back. This experience was a big shock for me when I was young. If things had worked out for me at that time, I would have probably started my acting career a bit later. My original plan was to do modelling activities in Paris a bit longer and then debut after studying acting properly. The fact that I didn’t get to have my start in the Paris collection shows was something I felt sad about, even after I started acting. That’s why I went back to Paris to try once again to walk the runway over there while I was taking a break from acting for a year.

It’s uncommon to go back to overseas collections once one has started his acting career.

You’re right. And it’s even more uncommon when one has a strong model image like I do. I mean it happens that such image can be toxic as an actor. However, I felt that nothing remained as a model. That’s why I got on a plane on January 1st of 2014 and went to Paris all by myself. I worried a lot before I went. “Ah, going there because I want to walk the runway after getting into acting. If things don’t work out again and I come back, then what do I do?”. Still, fortunately, I was able to join 5 shows including the one for Balenciaga, Balmain and Juun.J.

What was your first bad behavior?

Hm… I don’t know.

Do you drink alcohol well?

I can, but I don’t drink often. When I drink a lot, all my plans the next day fall through.

Are you the type to enjoy living by a schedule?

I wasn’t like that by nature. I thought “I’m a free spirit, that’s the way to learn about emotions and watching a lot of movies is more important than receiving acting lessons”. (smiles) My schedule is packed right now, so I actually enjoy living according to what is planned.

What will you do on the last day of 2015?

I definitely cared about celebrating things like that before. The end of the year, birthdays, Christmas, everything. I’m not like that right now. I felt like I was living only in a dream in the past. Being a model had always been my dream ever since I was a kid and the reality of becoming an actor felt like a dream. I thought at first “I hope people will look at me no matter what”. However, I feel now that I’m living in reality. I’m able to do the job that I want to do and more than having only the thought “I’m busy”, I must become someone who has this reality as an actor. Living in reality makes me realize that I don’t really celebrate specificing moments like anniversaries.

Source: Marie Claire

Some comments:

he’s a really interesting guy….i like how independent and matter of fact he is. i also love that he does what he wants. he’s obviously very serious about acting now and i think he is such a strong & determined personality he will get better & better.
i love his relativism about image & reality. he’s a bit of an existentialist, yes?:)
----

I also enjoy how he’s very aware of what he has done, what didn’t work and what needs to be done to get better. I think he has the potential to have a career a la So Ji Sub. He will build up his resumé and his experience by trying out a bunch of different roles, then when he comes back from the army, he will know exactly what he wants to do and he will be older too, so it might be less easier to typecast him as the “young mysterious guy”. I want him to play in a rom-com, but you know, something not too sweet, like the roles So Ji Sub plays. It’s not too sweet, not too overthetop, a bit funny, a bit emotional too. I’m totally seeing it.

----

h, me too : ) …i can pretty much imagine that voice in those kind of roles. argh, ; ) 

----

that voice… * giggle * I hope he will get to do more radio shows too : D

----

I’m becoming more intrigued by him as an actor, so I’m happy to know that he’s keen to branch out and try new roles. I’ve been getting the impression that he’s a bit of a party boy, which is different from how he comes across here. : ) 

----

I think he was a party boy until three or four years ago? Wait, what is your definition of “party boy”? Lol… Because I think he’s someone who enjoys partying with his friends who upload only their party pictures?

But now that you say it… Maybe that’s how people pictured him and he doesn’t have this “familiar guy-next-door” vibe that other model-turned-actors like Kim Woo Bin or Lee Jong Suk have?

Anyway, I’m really loving his eagerness about acting. I can’t wait for him to get roles that can really make him shine.

----

Hm, I think that’s *sort of* it, I think of party boy as someone who’s into partying, and does a lot of it. He definitely doesn’t have the boy-next-door vibe, but who knows, that could change, with the right image management. I didn’t used to think of Woob as a boy-next-door type, he can look scary when he’s channeling fierce, like in White Christmas. But lately, he’s managed to build quite a friendly and approachable sort of image. So who knows, Lee Soo Hyuk might become a boy-next-door yet, even if he DOES look made to play a vampire ; )

----

yeah, I think that, unlike Lee Soo Hyuk, Kim Woo Bin got the opportunity to do a few variety shows that allowed the viewers to know more about him and to find out he’s such a sweet boy and he struggled a lot in the early stage of his career. I feel like Lee Soo Hyuk just appeared as the model from a “wealthy” (or at least not struggling) family who got everything handed to him and with famous friends… I doubt there is a lot of people who know how he debuted his modeling career and how he actually didn’t get a big career as much as it may look like it (I mean, Kim Young Kwang or Park Sung Jin are considered like international top models, LSH doesn’t have this status). And although he has worked pretty steadily as an actor, he didn’t hit big like Kim Woo Bin or Lee Jong Suk did. However, I’d say he’s working pretty well with what he has. I’m mostly anticipating what he will in his 30’s, although I think i remember him saying that he wished he would have played a high schooler. That might be difficult in his 30’s, but he might be able to play a college student like Park Hae Jin is doing.

----

Oh, I’m definitely curious to see how he builds his acting career. I’m definitely finding him more interesting these days compared to when he first started out. And technically, he did play a high school student in White Christmas, AND a college student in What’s Up. Maybe he wants to play a more *normal* student than the ones he’s played. : D

----

* White Christmas feels *

Yes, lol an ordinary guy. A regular high school student with a school uniform like Lee Jong Suk and Kim Woo Bin did. I don’t really remember him in “What’s Up”, but wasn’t he like a genius musician so he didn’t really go to class and he already had a career?

----

He WAS a genius musician, so yeah, not terribly ordinary in What’s Up either! : D With that voice and that face, it’s not gonna be so easy for him to land “ordinary guy” sorts of roles, tho!

----

That’s his main problem. Kim Young Kwang and he said how they struggled with the fact casting directors didn’t take them seriously as actors and only wanted them to walk and be pretty on screen. That was in the past, though. Now they’re older and they did a lot of small roles, so it’s not like they come out of nowhere and it’s not “legimitate” of their desire to take on more challenging roles.

----

and he definitely needs to take on a vampire role but with a grandiose story * cough * just sayin’ * cough *

Edited by rainmoon
large post with multiple images
  • Like 1

Yepp I can see it too, esp. in that top selfie in the gym/bar place, he looks real good (^ o^)

he looks more tan as well though that might be the lighting, who knows until the drama airs

i imagine since he's playing a top tennis player maybe he's been working out more and in the sun a bit to get that glowey athlete look

i am expecting MULTIPLE topless scenes in this drama  l o l

• Like 2

MORE filming pics :D

Spoiler

isn't that the same outfit he wore in his latest selfie from 5 days ago?

so either these filming pics were uploaded late or they're taking forever to film the same scene lol

i heard the schedule was  t o u g h  they film right into the early hours of the morning o_O

Edited by rainmoon
multiple images
  • Like 2

Lee Soo Hyuk – Interview [March 2015 – Harper’s Bazaar]

http://cfile8.uf.tistory.com/original/232FE03354F331051779FF

lee-soo-hyuk-valid-love.jpg?w=480&h=720&

In the tvN drama “Valid Love” that finished airing early in February, your character, Kim Joon, was a carpenter. It might be because you played a devilish warrior in “Deep-Rooted Tree” or a macho vampire in “Vampire Idol”, but this character felt awfully real. I mean, your character was abandoned by his mother, he couldn’t memorize multiplication tables, he had various dramatic elements.

Spoiler

And this is definitely the reason that made me choose this drama. Originally, it was because after “High School King of Savvy”, I actually wanted to play a role where you’d see much more the person than the outfit he wore. In “High School King of Savvy”, my character was a skillful elite, so I had to dress well even more. My interest was very focused on this aspect only. Anyway, in the moment I was waiting for a project I could do in a brisk way and a character with various sides that I would be able to show, the role of this carpenter was offered to me. This fact itself made me happy.

I wonder if you didn’t build your character in detail starting from his looks because you are a model. Kim Joon likes wearing a colourless MA-1 jacket and cargo pants and his rough hands with hardened skin was also definitely carpenter-like. In “High School King of Savvy”, Yoo Jin Woo wore a suit and was dressed perfectly from head to toes.

Yoo Jin Woo was someone who wouldn’t shed a drop of sweat even in summer. He was originally a sharp and meticulous character, so I really tried my best at that time not to even get a wrinkle on my shirts. To be honest, in the case of a carpenter, there’s nothing specific about the looks to have. It’s true that we went for high fashion brands in the beginning and stylish stuff that would be expected to be found in Northern Europe. However, Kim Joon had only been around common carpenters. Once I met Korean carpenters, I realized how these people were much more regular people than I thought. In the end, I went more for an ordinary style that would go well with me than an “overalls-wearing macho carpenter” concept. We brought the most basic clothes and the director picked the most ordinary ones among them.

[t/n: I used “we”, but Lee Soo Hyuk doesn’t use any pronoun. He doesn’t specifically mention any stylist either, so I will assume that he was really involved in the styling of his character]

There were many heartfelt dialogues. Like when leaving Il Lee, the line that goes “this is what living feels like that. That’s right. It’s this burning, urgent, desperate, surprising feeling”. It was quite memorable.

I don’t know how many times my lines made me cringe during filming. I managed to say it after repeating the line quite a few times. (laugh) To be honest, there were many times when I was surprised while I was reading the script. Like the scene with Kim Joon completely drunk and he stubbornly tries to enter Il Lee and her hubsand’s home. I thought “what? How? How can he be drunk and invade their home?” (laughs) Anyway, there are always unrealistic situations in every drama and I think the director wrapped everything with a nice package. Every time actors wondered if their expressions were too much or if they held back too much, he was there to adjust the tone in a precise way.

valid-love.jpg

Kim Joon is a man who had never felt anything for a woman until then. However, when Il Lee is in pain and is hyperventilating, he covers her mouth with his hand, their eyes meet and this is when his love for her begins. Was it an ordinary way for a man like him to fall for a woman he had been annoyed with until that moment?

I was very worried about being able to convey what was written in the script because the drama theme would have lost its credibility if I had failed to convey the right feeling. I said I’d try to express it freely. I changed the position of my hand over Il Lee’s mouth six times, I listened to different songs here and there. As I was reading the script over again, I was able to understand this feeling clearly. If I hadn’t been able to relate to him, I think we wouldn’t have been able to find the right expression.

Male models, models turned actors have never been so much in the spotlight than they are today. Cha Seung Won from the 1st generation of models turned actors said “actors must let go of the charisma they have as models”.. Have you ever thought about your identity as a model, then as an actor?

It’s advice he also gave me. When you come to a drama set, you must go as a simple rookie actor. It won’t work if you try to be “charismatic” like when you do your modeling activities. Sometimes I get asked if modeling wasn’t something I did to become an actor. The answer is of course it’s not. To me, acting and modeling are two different fields. I started modeling because I love fashion and I was planning to keep doing it because it was actually something I could do. Don’t Asian models receive the attention from the international scene these days? Thanks to that, I was able to walk the runway during the 2013 F/W fashion week in Paris. Each one of us may have a different opinion about it, but I don’t want to think “now I’m an actor, so I won’t be a model anymore”.

Compared to how fast you became a top model, your acting career is about taking one step at a time at a slow pace. You made your acting debut with the indie movie “A Boy From Ipanema” in 2010. Then you built your filmography with horror movies, saguk, and even sitcoms. It is true that you spent more time as a supportive actor than a lead actor.

As a model, I don’t know what’s hot these days. When doing an interview, (Kim) Young Kwang-hyung is like the number one model in Asia, I can’t say such things. I did walk for Balenciaga. (laughs) Here’s what it is about my acting career. Saying that my filmography until now was exactly and perfectly what I wanted isn’t something I can actually say. I wouldn’t go as far as saying that I have regrets, but I’ve thought a lot about how my filmography could have been better. I’m trying not to be impatient anyway because I’m working hard for it and I’m getting closer to the direction I want to take. I do feel impatient sometimes, but I don’t want to make hasty choices that I’d end up regretting later on.

Have you always been this relaxed and cautious?

I’d say I’ve become shyer instead. I’m able to be more comfortable when I film variety programs or dramas, but sometimes I think to myself “isn’t this something I don’t do because I can’t do it?”.

It might be because of this unreal aura you have, but there are a few prejudices against you. People wonder if you’re a cold person or if you’re a rough and taciturn person.

If you meet me in real life, you’ll see I’m not a complicated person. I’m not that mature, I’m not that manly or particular. It’s just that I don’t have a regular job. I’m just a guy who gets along well with his peers. Playing soccer video games with my friends, us watching movies together or working out together is my daily life. And I don’t really have hobbies. When you get to know me and see there’s nothing special about me, will you call it a reversal situation? (laughs)

I watched Mnet’s “Style Log” with Hong Jong Hyun and you and I was quite surprised. (laughs) You bet on a football video game to decide who would wash the dishes and you skateboarded by the Han river.

I’m interested in the skating culture. I also like its colourful fashion. Once a year, my friends and I try to learn how to properly do stakeboarding, but then I get hurt after a week. When I want to try again, it’s too cold. I wish I could be good at it and enjoy it from a direct experience, but I’ll just admit that it’s something I just can’t do and that I can only like. (laughs)

You have many cultural interests in general. Just by looking at your Instagram following list, there’s a mix between high end and street culture profiles such as Chanel, Supreme, Davie Bowie, “I Am The Other”, Daniel Arsham. Let alone, the interior lover who also posts about furniture or a studio.

From my perspective, this list has no coherence (laughs). At first, I thought there should be consistency, but my priority now is to do what makes me comfortable. When I was younger, I thought “I’m this kind of person, I like this kind of stuff, I must listen to this and live this way”, but as time went by, I realized all of this was meaningless. Once I learned about things as much as I’m capable of doing them, my goal is to find the match between the things I really enjoyed back then and the things that are really made for me. Like right now, I really like hip-hop, so I watched the Grammy awards and the BET awards. Pretending to know something that I don’t is something that I’ve always hated, so I used to research everything. For instance, when it came to clothes, I wanted to wear clothes and find out about which category of people would wear them. Even to watch a movie, I’d check the director’s name and the actors’ names. I used to do stuff life this.

Leaving the technique aspect aside, your acting is different from the ordinary acting, it has something distinctive. It makes me wonder if this isn’t your preference to taste the emotion of acting [?].

Isn’t it the reflection of the many things I watch and try to learn in order to figure out the right expressions or nuances for me? It’s something I’ve always worried about a lot. Like being an actor with charms or an actor who is good at acting, regardless of the image the audience is expecting from me. I mean, I still won’t be able to define it right away.

Although you don’t know how this will change, but just like you like hip-hop these days and you don’t know how that will turn out, what’s the most important thing for you right now? Can we talk about the acting topic?

I really want to challenge myself and go against things a little bit more, work to wear myself out. With this dream, I gained some self-confidence in front of the camera. I felt like I was finding my own style. For now, I’d like to portray regular, ordinary people, characters with more charms, more untangling characters. This isn’t something for a far future. I want to find right now the things I can do well, the things I must do. Such thoughts are my biggest motivation. I feel like all my vagues thoughts come all together and organized when I’m doing an interview like this (laughs). Honestly, can someone live thinking so hard?

So can you tell us what you’ve been interested in lately as a person and not as an actor?

I think I’ll have to think about it more carefully… Even if I answer, I don’t think it’s something I’ll want to discuss in public, though. (laughs)

Harper’s Bazaar Scan: leehyuksoo.com

Edited by rainmoon
  • Like 1

someone spotted him (in the red cap)

I think he's still on set? Since that looks like filming equipment in the foreground

But those look like his regular clothes so perhaps it's before filming

i love his personal style lol allll about the caps

same as me before i even knew who he was :D

• Like 2

V quick vid of him BTS

a shame it's the same place we've seen in the pics a few times already, I want more content!

also sorry that recently i've just been reposting content from instagram b/c there's no new content anywhere else atm!  i might upload some more old interviews soon ^_^ 

• Like 2

apparently this is a vid showing LSH playing tennis (h'e sthe player on the right)

and more pic of the set, though I can't spot him anywhere in this one

since not much is being updated I'll upload some old interviews and stuff today if I'm not too busy  ^ _ ^ (if not then tomorrow instead but DEFINITELY soon)

• Like 2

He was on a radio show in 2013, the host is a famous Korean model that he's met a lot of times before. I can't remember her name though lol

视频: [李秀赫中文首站][中字]130925 张允珠

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNzQ5MzA1Nzgw.html

i wish he'd appear on more radio shows b/c that VOICE *o*

Aah! Her name is Jang Yoon Ju. She hosted Korea's Next Top Model and he guest starred in an ep where they talked about the show. I'll see if I can find the entire ep instead of just 15 sec clips

I didn't know she had her own radio show lol

That vid is in Chinese subs btw, there's no English ubs that I can find unfortunately

Lee Soo Hyuk: “I enjoyed playing a character like Kim Soo Hyun.” [2013.08.13]

lee-soo-hyuk-dans-shark.jpg?w=604&h=604&

Spoiler

c58dc205a59939866d3bfa39757efb7d.jpg

For instance, another dimensional character. Lee Soo Hyuk seems special like Yoon Soo in “White Christmas” (KBS), Yoon Pyung in “Deep-Rooted Tree” (SBS). That is because even his low voice is surprising compared to the first cold impression he gives, to the point that it is even imposing. However, unlike the first impression he gives, he’s a sensitive and passionate man. The unpredictability behind the first cold impression seemed even more special as he seeks for ordinary.

“Shark” (KBS) recently finished airing and the Lee Soo Hyuk who met with Wstarnews was closer to his character “Kim Soo Hyun” than Yoon Soo or Yoon Pyung. He’s cautious about his every word.

“I don’t talk much. If you talk too easily, you can’t take back those words afterward. Especially when it comes to questions like “who are you?”, “what do you like?”. My answers can change even in just few months. When I was doing model activities, I could easily say “I’m this kind of person”. Now, it’s a little complicated for me.”

39b6efb8e27c98eed026d2329e739f52.jpg

◆ Unexpected appearance

His appearance was somehow unexpected, because Kim Soo Hyun who was only known as Son Ye Jin’s assistant, turned out to be an important key. Viewers were surprised by Kim Soo Hyun’s identity revealing as episodes went by.

“I didn’t know at first how much of a key character he would be. Of course I had a hunch. The director and the writer had already mapped out their vision of Kim Soo Hyun’s character, but maybe they kept it a secret because I didn’t show outstanding skill in the past.”

He thinks too meanly of himself. Every time he talked about himself, Lee Soo Hyuk said things like “I’m lacking”, “I’m not good”. Just like his voice is low, he was used to talk lowly about himself. As section chief Kim [Soo Hyun] was called “Section Chief Flower” by female viewers, didn’t he receive a lot of popularity? “The writer gave me a well-written role”, he bashfully replied.

“Kim Soo Hyun was a comfortable character to play. The writer wrote him in detail, so all I had to do was follow what I was told. Until then, the roles I had play were characters with a special personality or characters that had to look special. I think this kind of roles need experience, so instead of having to create Kim Soo Hyun, I guess I had a more natural approach to his character.”

Kim Soo Hyun isn’t an average character, but it’s hard to say if Kim Soo Hyun wasn’t an average character to Lee Soo Hyuk who was used to play uncommon characters. Compared to a monster, a vampire, a flying guard warrior, isn’t this character “an ordinary guy”? As Lee Soo Hyuk said, he let go of the “must look special or must be special” style, and said he was a bit relieved.

“The thing that really made me happy about “Shark” was how human Kim Soo Hyun was. (laugh) Because I wanted to show I could do this kind of character too, since I had always played uncommon characters until then. It’s not that I hated it, but I felt like I had come across a limit. I think this was the opportunity to show another side of me.”

As he said he wanted to show many things as a rookie actor, Lee Soo Hyuk revealed his strong desire about acting.

“During the year I took a break from my activities, I became greedy about acting. I felt that I was lacking when I finished filming, so I grew annoyed as my break kept growing longer. People had no other choice but to judge me because of that. I thought it was unfortunate. I wanted to find a good role, and I wanted to act. That’s why I really wanted to give my best for “Shark”.”

33391c55920d1b7295f2786a97e0f2b2.jpg

◆ Ode to youth

He was serious and cautious, but he lets his guard down in front his friends. Lee Soo Hyuk showed a playful image that matched his age as he talked about Kim Young Kwang, Kim Woo Bin, Hong Jong Hyun and Sung Joon, whom he became close with through his first drama “White Christmas”.

“All of us are still close. Either it’s Young Kwang-hyung, Woo Bin, Jong Hyun, or Sung Joon, we don’t care about the age difference and we still often meet each other like friends. I hope we could all settle down and spend a good time all together.”

There seems to be pros and cons abour having close friends working in the same field. When asked about the reaction of his friends who watched this drama, Lee Soo Hyuk even moved his hand as he replied, “I don’t really talk about acting with my friends because they tease me every day. I’m over the embarrassing phase, though. The hardest time was during “The Boy From Ipanema”. My friends came to the premiere and enthusiastically teased me. They would sometimes imitate me and say my lines.”

The word “friend” means having someone giving you this feeling of security you can’t even explain, but you know it is there. As Lee Soo Hyuk expressed his hope to play again with his friends in a drama or a movie, he expressed the close affection he has for them.

“This is something Young Kwang-hyung, Jong Hyun and I always say. “We’re getting old”, so we hope to be able to play characters in their 20’s before we get too old. That’s why I want to play a young adult. You get this fresh feeling when you look at your favorite actors back in the time when they were young. As an actor, it’s an image I want to leave behind. I’m a bit worried this time just passes me by.”

When asked if he didn’t want to try to play in a “melo” since he showed a little bit more of his potential, Lee Soo Hyuk replied, “I’m also greedy when it comes to the melo genre. “The Boy From Ipanema” was fun. I think I’m now used to play the type of unique characters I played, those “special characters”. I think I’ll approach the romance genre with honesty, so I have some expectation about that.”

To his innocent reaction, we asked him “Whom would you have as a partner in a melo?” and Lee Sook Hyuk replied at once “I don’t know”. Although asked a few times who was his ideal type, which actresses he’d like to work with, he kept saying “I don’t know”, until he gave up.

“Based on my experience when my own name is mentioned, I think they’ll be uncomfortable. It’s easy to talk about your friends, but it’s hard to talk thoughtlessly about women because it can hurt them.”

Source: wstarnews

BTW he doesn't appear until like the 4th ep of Shark, just so you know if you're planning on watching it for him lol but it's still worth the wait b/c the storyline is good ^^

Edited by rainmoon