[Drama 2023] A Secret Woman / Woman in the Veil - 비밀의 여자 - Mon to Fri @ 7:50 KST

0ly40

Okay so while I still haven’t gotten down to watching this show apart from the first episode sadly due to time constraints and travelling once again. I have been keeping up with it through your comments. So let me start of with some of those points.

For starters someone mentioned that the wife isn’t the female lead and that Serin actually is based on the press release and all. So, thanks for that information. Will admit that I actually find that a bit odd though. Simply let’s look at the facts that have been witnessed so far.

Who is the first person that is introduced to us. It is Gyul Wol. Okay technically she is the second person since the first person is the backside of a woman who removes her breathing mask. But since her face isn’t shown I am not officially counting her as being introduced. But even then after all this the flashback or being thrown back in time etc… it is from Gyul Wol’s view.

Another fact to consider is her nature. She sadly isn’t one with a backbone and that is why everyone seems to be walking all over her and taking advantage of. Something she again shares with main leads in shows. They are either way to naïve or play the doormat to other people allowing them to take advantage of them all. At this point I doubt that she has a birth secret but then again Man In A Veil did show that if done creatively they can even pull a twist to it. So let’s wait and find out how that turns out.

Anyway as I was saying something drastic is required to make the main lead change their character and become stronger and able to stand up for themselves. In this case the shock of her husband cheating on her and ending up in an accident may be the motivation for them to get a character upgrade.

The problem with Serin as a main character is simply her nature. She is slightly unlikable at the moment with her throwing tantrums and being way to clingy. All signs of being a second lead. To her becoming a main character she needs to do a complete 180 character change or even show some kind of redeeming quality. The only thing that I can as her strong point is that she isn’t going to take things lying down and will probably be an eye for a head kind of person. So, I guess as long as she diverts her anger at the right people, we may just root for her. Since I haven’t had a proper time to gauge her character from a single episode I am waiting for some improvement.

So wait the Gyul Wol bit her husband because she didn’t want him to get all frisky with her. LoL. As for husband, let’s be honest he isn’t likable for a few reasons. First of all, he is cheating on her. Never a good sign. Then other than that I don’t see what his attracting qualities are as well that another woman is willing to have an affair with him. Okay I see the fact that he is from a well-off family and that he is to inherit the company. So that can be a motivating factor. But I would say that one would need to make major sacrifices even at this point. What I mean by this is that generally when you have a Second Lead they have some strong points of their own but they are swayed to the dark side due to their ambitions or something similar. Equally so for their partners. But in this case the guy seems the least bit bothered in running the company.

He is either to bored to focus on the meetings or busy playing games on his phone. At least Disco Oppa who was more interested in playing games in Miss Monte Cristo was simply hiding his true skills as he didn’t want to get into a fight over inheritance with the rest of his family. But this doesn’t seem to be the case over here. Instead he needs to be bailed out by the ideas or suggestions of Gyul Wool or Aera. This simply means that even if Aera were to marry into that family she would have to work hard to keep her position at the company to keep the husband successful. Otherwise the board will simply decide to choose someone more better suited to run the company. This means her lavish life style won’t be supported and all. Is it therefore worth being part of that family.

Sure, one can say the same for Gyul Wool as well. But in this case her husband is still working even if he has help and at the same time she is secretly trying to help him out. So as long as that happens, she is good. Another factor to consider is that she isn’t really motivated by greed since she doesn’t seem to come from such a well-off family. Therefore even if he doesn’t have a job she will try and support him or be okay with living the simple life and all. Aera being ambitious and all isn’t going to be okay with that. Also, what was with the guy telling her that if they don’t get married he won’t get a single dime of inheritance she decides to get married. If we didn’t know her nature one would certainly imagine that she got married to him out of greed or ambition.

I guess in that case Aera’s animosity towards her makes more sense since she sees her as how she would judge herself. I would say that Gyul Wool’s decision to marry the guy would be possible if she had a contract marriage with him. Perhaps the reason why she didn’t want him getting all frisky with her at that point. But then it doesn’t make sense that she goes out of the way to be treated like the hired help with the rest of his family or that she goes into shock after discovering her husbands infidelity towards her. No she does seem to have some feelings towards him but she is at the moment way to spineless to be likable at this point.

Someone brought up the fact that a body swap can be done properly and gave an example of the movie Face Off. To be fair or technical to be more exact I don’t exactly consider that movie as a Body Swap. I would categorize that as a Face Swap. To differentiate between the two I will give examples from both kinds of show.

Face Swap (over here the main character swaps his face with another character for whatever reason.)

Ruby Ring (Accident and dumb doctors can’t figure out other signs do a face swap from what I heard)

Face Off (deliberate attempt to infiltrate enemy organization)

Left Handed Wife (I think the villains swap the husband's face for some reason or the other. Not even sure what happens by the end since I didn’t bother with this show in any form.)

To be honest the only thing that I actually watched was Face Off but in bits and pieces.

Body Swap (Can happen due to mysterious or supernatural reasons.) Examples

Freaky Friday. (Mother and Daughter switch bodies)

49 Days (Female Lead swaps with her unknown sister {spoiler alert my bad} and discovers a few things while on a mission to make a person shed a genuine tear for her)

Ghost Doctor (The doctors keep swapping with each other for surgery or something)

As one can see the list can simply go on and if done right we get an amazing show or movie or story. Or we face a disaster.

Anyway I do wonder what will make Gyul Wool want to have revenge on the villains at this point. Will someone from her family have to end up dying or will we end up with the standard but weird baby swap story. She discovers the fact that she has been getting drugged all along. So she secretly stops taking the medication. Which results in her getting pregnant. After she discovers the truth she somehow gets into an accident. Which at this point is hard to figure out. Does she confront the second female lead which results in her falling down the stairs or does she cause the car accident in shock. Or both happen. Either way from one of these she is rushed to the hospital and when Aera discovers the truth she steals the baby and claims it as her own or secretly hides it at an orphanage. Thus when Gyul Wool wakes up she is informed that she has lost her baby. Which will result in her trying to commit suicide. Fortunately for her but unfortunately for us she is saved by the Main Lead.

Anyway, while I have more to add will do so later as I have gotten busy. So, till then take care and do keep me informed of what is happening here via all your comments. If I do get the time will try and catch up with the show. So, till next time and let me apologize once again for my unnecessary rambling.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

I know AR is going to get caught and discarded, even imprisoned but I must say she is smart and focused and really quick on her feet. I can't wait to see what excuse she has in yhe preview. Of course, she does not have to be brilliant to fool the lame brain wife. 

AR's style is something else. Her blue outfit at breakfast looked like a bathrobe. She's quite a big girl but that dress is big and she bulges from the back. Poor actress, she didn't get good clothes in MIV either. I think she'd look good with TP of VOTB. They are both big people.

• Like 4

what is the connection between taeyan and serin? am confused why he is living at her house if he isn't related to them. she seems to be obsessed with him and serin's older sister is very concerned. rather than a status issue or something else, she is more concerned from the perspective of mental health as she knows her sister is acting loopy. 

• Like 4
  • Shocked 1

4 hours ago, yamiyugi said:

For starters someone mentioned that the wife isn’t the female lead and that Serin actually is based on the press release and all. So, thanks for that information. Will admit that I actually find that a bit odd though. 

The problem with Serin as a main character is simply her nature. 

Sorry to cut your post, i said that it's the actress who plays Serin who is the main female lead, i said just the actress, now for the character, it's sure that is the wife who is the protagonist, so i think it's body swap or face swap for the actress to be on center, she will change and ML will loves her. 

Maybe i'm wrong

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, yamiyugi said:

Ruby Ring (Accident and dumb doctors can’t figure out other signs do a face swap from what I heard)

I watched that show from start to finish. Yes, I was younger and could a lot of  things. If you could believe that only both faces came off and reattached wrongly. I didn't know then but I am sure it was the super powerful kdrama IV that healed them. Anyway nothing else changed, the bad sister was 6 inches. The good sister's actress was Miss M.

I hope it's soul swapping only. Alchemy of souls explained that.
Any of pseudo medicine explanations like transplantation is just too ridiculous.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

16 hours ago, yamiyugi said:

For starters someone mentioned that the wife isn’t the female lead and that Serin actually is based on the press release and all. So, thanks for that information. Will admit that I actually find that a bit odd though. Simply let’s look at the facts that have been witnessed so far.

The actress that plays Serin is female lead, not Serin herself. Let me explain, Gyul-Whool is going to get paralyzed soon based off the summary of this drama so I think body switch will happen. When that happens, Choi Yoon-Young (the actress that is playing Serin) will become Gyul-Wool.

Who is the first person that is introduced to us. It is Gyul Wol. Okay technically she is the second person since the first person is the backside of a woman who removes her breathing mask. But since her face isn’t shown I am not officially counting her as being introduced. But even then after all this the flashback or being thrown back in time etc… it is from Gyul Wol’s view.

I think that is Choi Yoon-Young (the actress that plays Serin) as Gyul Wool trying to kill off Serin in Gyul Wool's body. 

The problem with Serin as a main character is simply her nature. She is slightly unlikable at the moment with her throwing tantrums and being way to clingy. All signs of being a second lead. To her becoming a main character she needs to do a complete 180 character change or even show some kind of redeeming quality. The only thing that I can as her strong point is that she isn’t going to take things lying down and will probably be an eye for a head kind of person. So, I guess as long as she diverts her anger at the right people, we may just root for her. Since I haven’t had a proper time to gauge her character from a single episode I am waiting for some improvement.

That is why I think Serin won't be the main character. Gyul Wool is BUT Shin Go-Eun (the actress that plays Gyul-Wool) won't play her. Choi Yoon-Young (the actress that plays Serin) is.         

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/20/2023 at 7:49 AM, yamiyugi said:

Unlikable protagonists are a thing. In fact, there are a few daily dramas with evil female leads. Don't Go Away/Don't Shake from 2008 is one that comes to mind. Plus Penthouse had morally grey/unlikable or even villainous characters. It pretty much changed the way makjangs worked, whether you liked it or hated it. Writers are more daring and wanting to try their hand at making morally grey or evil leads/main characters.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

15 minutes ago, kboramint said:

think that is Choi Yoon-Young (the actress that plays Serin) as Gyul Wool trying to kill off Serin in Gyul Wool's body. 

I don't think GW is a killer type, regardless of the body she inhabits. In the last part, she knew AR and her husband were in a relationship but she kept asking AR why she lied. A less cowed woman would have come out slapping. Is she a killer? not to me.

AR pretended that the husband had lied about gifting her the earrings. She was not certain but it looked like she pretended to believe them.

One thing the writer does not seem to account for is that one feels groggy in the morning from taking valiums or the likes. Wouldn't she be suspicious?

Her mother is actually her stepmother. So the family had turned a blind eye to what the in laws did because they had paid for the woman's debt, bought them a restaurant and were also paying for the brother's law school studies. I can understand a dowry to help her family but for a full grown stepbrother? Don't go to grad school if you don't have money. Or save, then go later. I think they are spongers by being weak.

If there is a sswap then, SR will be stuck in GW's body while the new SR will be a docile, doormat. Full House Reaction GIF

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ameera Ali said:

Grandfather rather than wasting time on educating the MIL he should start making his grand daughter in law rea

I thought she was the daughter. But if she were the DIL and had caused much trouble  all the time, she would be kicked out. In this show, she was indulged each time. :surprisedwut:

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, maribella said:

I thought she was the daughter. But if she were the DIL and had caused much trouble  all the time, she would be kicked out. In this show, she was indulged each time. 

Isn’t the same 
If she DIL 

isn’t grandfather her FIL 

She MIL for FL 

~>me when I still don’t know who is who , who related to who & who sleeping with who :mrgreen:

A5-B6-D5-BE-F1-C2-46-E2-ADD9-1-D14-DCB4-

• LOL 2
  • Awesome 1

49 minutes ago, maribella said:

I thought she was the daughter. But if she were the DIL and had caused much trouble  all the time, she would be kicked out. In this show, she was indulged each time. 

Nope, she is the DIL.  

Another useless DIL who only knows how to spend money, shopping.

With that said, father in law punished her by writing again the Confucius book.

So, GU was aware that Joo was in her room at the resort and she refuses to accept the reality  that her good for nothing husband was kissing  Joo while she was in bed knock out after her  drinks were spike.

GU was at the office when she overheard 2 ladies that Joo were at the resort, which makes her more suspicious. She finally get hold of the resort CCTV camera with Joo being  captured and confront Joo.

Will Joo admit that she was at the resort ?

20 hours ago, maribella said:

I know AR is going to get caught and discarded, even imprisoned but I must say she is smart and focused and really quick on her feet. I can't wait to see what excuse she has in yhe preview. Of course, she does not have to be brilliant to fool the lame brain wife. 

AR's style is something else. Her blue outfit at breakfast looked like a bathrobe. She's quite a big girl but that dress is big and she bulges from the back. Poor actress, she didn't get good clothes in MIV either. I think she'd look good with TP of VOTB. They are both big people.

Joo is quick & smart and GU will accept those lame excuses. 

That blue outfit does not suit Joo, she looks like a hulk.

• LOL 4

8 hours ago, Thong Thin said:

Nope, she is the DIL.  

Another useless DIL who only knows how to spend money, shopping.

With that said, father in law punished her by writing again the Confucius book.

So, GU was aware that Joo was in her room at the resort and she refuses to accept the reality  that her good for nothing husband was kissing  Joo while she was in bed knock out after her  drinks were spike.

GU was at the office when she overheard 2 ladies that Joo were at the resort, which makes her more suspicious. She finally get hold of the resort CCTV camera with Joo being  captured and confront Joo.

Will Joo admit that she was at the resort ?

Joo is quick & smart and GU will accept those lame excuses. 

That blue outfit does not suit Joo, she looks like a hulk.

She needs to open her eyes her husband is not a good man.

• Like 2

Finally, we got the accident. I was going 'die,die' whenever she came on screen. It was as if she was asking to be stomped on.

GW has some syndrome now. From the snatches that I had watched, the awful sister of YJ was also involved in her getting into the car in a sedated state. It was an elaborate scheme. The ML is also in some accident, having bruises over his face. Can't they find a better looking guy?. I know he has gone through some trauma, unsmiling with just one expression, that's the typical character for a guy or gal with a traumatic experience.

Let's see if we get some swapping soon.

• Like 4

Okay first I want to thank for the clarification that it is the actress for Serin that is the main character not the character itself. That makes a whole lot more sense.

Now moving on to the point that was brought up that the person on the bed was Serin in Gyu Wool’s body and that it was Gyol Wool in Serin’s body removing the mask. Now I am going to concur with those that say that isn’t the case. Again, let’s look at the supposed evidence or theory that would try and disprove this. Mind you this is purely speculation on my part based on watching numerous shows. The first thing that we need to ask ourselves is what motive would Gyul Wool have to try and get rid of Serin. (Even if there is a body swap involved)

As far as we have seen in the first episode atleast Serin hasn’t wronged Gyu Wool in anyway so far. She isn’t responsible for the death of a loved one, betrayed a good/best friend. That is Aera’s job. Nor has she personally tried to kill the competition as of now. So Gyul Wool has no good reason to kill her at this point. Also killing someone is pretty much crossing the point of no return. Main leads tend to have a moral code and while they are always out for blood, they need a justified reason. We haven’t been shown one. Okay fine I will admit I haven’t gotten that far ahead still being stuck on the first episode and all so I can be proven wrong.

Another reason is why I would question that it is Gyu Wool killing Serin is the simple fact that we bring up the point of crossing no return version 2. In this case she would be killing her own chance to return to her own previous life. Surely, she has loved ones that she would love to return after her revenge or whatever causes her to go on her new spree and all. Unless she has lost it all. Then her going on the dark side makes a whole lot more sense.

Finally, the reason why I doubt that the character swap has taken place during that particular scene. After the mask has been removed from Gyul Wool’s face we can see a tear drop from it. Now what I take from that is that the character knows what is happening to them at that point and the teardrop indicates that they have had regrets in their life and that they were unable to achieve. Now if we continue to assume this let’s look at both characters Serin and Gyu Wool and see who would be more sorry that they had unachieved goals.

For Serin and her current personality the only thing that I would see that might give her regrets enough to shed a tear would be her unachievable goal of getting the guy that she likes or driving him away. Other than that, forget about an apology to anyone else. She would rather be expecting an apology from the rest of the world because she won’t be able to see any of her mistakes even at this point.

As for Gyul Wool well her entire life would be full of regrets. Getting betrayed by the people she loves or trusts, not being strong enough in her life to be taken advantage of those around her such as being treated as a slave in her married life or not having enough of a backbone to standup to such behavior etc.

Come to think about it if the character swap is done correctly, we may just have a whole lot of fun. By this I mean that if Serin is just as nasty in Gyul Wool’s body she may just be able to save the day. I would also like Gyul Wool in Serin’s body be equally tough and take full advantage of the situation, but I am currently holding my breath in that department. I have been burnt before in these dramas before to keep my hope up.

People are wondering how the character swap can happen. Well let’s rule out soul swapping this simply isn’t that kind of drama. True Alchemy Of Souls covered that well but as I said that was more along the fantasy genre and this isn’t. be sure to expect a face swap of said characters for some reason. Just wondering what that could be. Signing a deal with the devil could be possible. In this case Serin might think that stealing Gyul Wool’s face would better help her get the main lead if those two have gotten quite close and she can’t seem to break them apart with any of her stunts.

Probably this might happen in this way that Gyul Wool falls into a comma from one of her altercations between Aera or someone else. Serin thinking that Gyul Wool has no chance of recovering swaps her face (yep pretty much like in Face Off) only unlike it at the start when Gyul Wool will recover she will end up with Amnesia which people will take advantage of. Heck we might have another backstabbing friend in the form of Serin once she discovers that Gyul Wool has recovered. Wait come to think of it if this happens then Gyul Wool is still going to be the nice, sweet girl regardless of which body she inhabits. Oh well I guess we should cross that bridge when it comes. Still trying to wonder what will actually motivate her to go on a revenge spree.

People have mentioned the fact that there are now morally Grey leads like in the show Penthouse. Sadly never got down to watching it due to time constraints. Did have an option between it and Alchemy of Souls. Don’t regret that one bit but I do wonder if I did choose wrong now. Also thinking about checking out The Glory at some point. Would the heroine in it also be considered morally grey and is it watching or should I try something else.

Either way folks take care and continue to enjoy the show. Will end my post here. But before I do I have a question. What are all of your thoughts regarding Serin’s current obsessive behavior towards the main lead. While reading your comments on the last drama (which I still haven’t watched yet apart from the first 6 episodes) it felt like some of you weren’t all that happy with the female lead ending up with her so called stepbrother and it could have been a bit incestuous. Does Serin give of a similar vibe or is hers more understandable.

Okay am off for real now. Hopefully I can watch atleast the second episode and slowly start catching up with the rest of you. Will then give my thoughts on the matter further. It is certainly a bit hard figuring out some stuff just from comments alone.

• Insightful 3