[movie 2005] Welcome To Dongmakgol 웰컴 투 동막골

Ha Tinh Nhi

Guest mpark

Sounds like a very interesting movie. I saw the characters' interview on TV and the plot and all sounded really good

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest yoonah

An engaging and charming film! Great job by newbie director Park Kwang Hyeon. Effective performances by the cast led by Kang Hye Jung, Jung Jae Young and Shin Ha Kyun. I am most impressed by SHK's transformation to the tormented and guilt-stricken Lt. Pyo, in contrast to the comic roles I have previously seen him in ("Guns and Talks","Joint Security Area"; I have *yet* to see his more serious movies). I was half-expecting him to suddenly break out into a big goofy smile sometime in the movie. But he maintained his cold exterior all throughout.

And of course another brilliant piece of work from Jang Jin! I have seen--and enjoyed--a couple of his previous works (Guns and Talks, Someone Special) and this latest one I've seen of his work is no exception to his brilliant writing. The script was smart and funny. The "Peace" message was there. Not explicitly spelled out in "Stop the War"-infused dialogues, but resonating in the seemingly mundane conversations. Which is one of the things I like about such Korean movies, to include "JSA" and "Taegukgi" (ok so maybe "Taegukgi" was a bit manipulative, but I don't mind :) )--that they do not force the "Peace" message on you, but instead assumes that the INTELLIGENT viewer that you are will be able to glean it from the dialogues, the characters, their relationships... IN THE ORDINARY.

I laughed and I cried and I loved this movie! :)

• 4 weeks later...

The New York Asian Film Festival 2006

(June 16 – July 1)

nyfilm.jpg

The New York Asian Film Festival is five years old! Come celebrate by watching the latest and greatest movies from Asia. Movies where people talk about their feelings? No! Movies where people rub the magic nose-hairs of a space amoeba. Movies where all girl punk bands shred the school talent show with power chords. Movies where wall-to-wall mind-blowing action destroys the fabric of space and time right before your very eyes!

The New York Asian Film Festival 2006 (June 16 – July 1)

Protecting the Planet from Evil for 5 years!

Click [here] for the complete list of films!

Korean films featured this year:

A BITTERSWEET LIFE (2005)

BLOOD RAIN (2005)

DUELIST (2005)

FEATHER IN THE WIND (2005)

HAIR (2005)

THE MAGICIANS (2005)

WELCOME TO DONGMAKGOL (2005)

Source: www.subwaycinema.com, posted by soomp at http://soompi.com/

Guest babossagaji

i had this movie for so long but i finally watched it last week. It's reallly REALLY good!!!!!!!!!!!^^ I didn't even notice the many different accents till my friend pointed them out. So interesting..and I love the crazy girl. She's so funny!

Guest corliss

i had this movie for so long but i finally watched it last week. It's reallly REALLY good!!!!!!!!!!!^^ I didn't even notice the many different accents till my friend pointed them out. So interesting..and I love the crazy girl. She's so funny!

u have it in link format? or does anyone has it in Mu or SS or other format other than CB? cos missed this show when it was shown in art festival last yr.....not showing in s'pore mainstream theatres...thanks!

I loved this movie...Glad it wasn't just another war movie...which I hate. Lots of goog visuals...like the popcorn scene...soo pretty...but I hated the running from the pig scene...too computerized...didn't like it at all. I thought it was soo sweet when the townie women made colthes to fit Smith.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved this movie...Glad it wasn't just another war movie...which I hate. Lots of goog visuals...like the popcorn scene...soo pretty...but I hated the running from the pig scene...too computerized...didn't like it at all. I thought it was soo sweet when the townie women made colthes to fit Smith.

i think the wild boar scene was done on purpose to look computerized...think it added to the comic effect. i thot it was very funny! :)

ya i also liked the part where they made bigger clothes for Smith. i liked the stand-off scene where the villagers were in the middle talking abt the boar, sort of oblivious to the guns and hand grenades. :P

was a great movie..loved it...it had a great message which was not too "in-your-face".

Guest HxYoExMoExE

I absolutely ADORED this movie. It was sad (i cried) and REALLY REALLY funny. I LOVE the part with the wild pig. Facial Expressions= preiceless. It was HILARIOUS! I LOVED how the part where they show Smith with his new country clothes. XD We sell it at our asian market! Shin Ha Kyoon is a very good actor. He did a really good job in this movie and another music video "I love you". He's such a funny yet cool actor

Shin Ha Kyoon is a very good actor. He did a really good job in this movie and another music video "I love you". He's such a funny yet cool actor

I agree! Among the whole ensemble cast, I could feel for him the most. He really made his character come alive. I didn't recognise him at first but after a quick check on HanCinema, I realised I watched him in the movie "My Brother". He was so different in that movie but just as good.

I think these actors who don't have the handsome "idol" looks like won bin, kwon sang woo etc. are really great but underrated. we should support movies like dongmakgol...they are good quality movies and don't just dependent on the popularity of the lead actors.

i hated the wildboar scene too.. i thought it looked too amateurish.. :/ and kinda lame.. hehe.

my favorite character from the movie was the younger soldier from north korea.. he reminded me so much of actor park hae il for some reasons.. maybe the small eyes and innocent looking face,.... i was wishing for more scenes of him but sadly his part wasnt that big.. but i enjoyed his character :) anyone have more info on the actor???

I lovedlovedLOVED this movie. Great ensemble acting (Shin HaKyun and Kang HyeJung were esp noteworthy), great script (yay, Jang Jin!), great visuals (oh that unforgettable boar scene lol), great music, and most of all, great execution of a tricky premise (yay, newbie director Park GwangHyun!). I can't believe how they made it so frickin fun yet so moving. It had me laughing like a loon, then hit me like a sucker punch at the end, with tears running down my face, reveling in the awe and magic that only a good movie can give you, that "This is how movies should be" feeling.

Just... wonderful.

i watch this a while back actually ~ ya i know the feeling of ahh that is a good movie ..the scene when of their first encounter in the village haha ..i did an instant replay because it was simply toooo riveting ..almost can imagine how it must be like when this script was done as a play ~ ..i love that scene !! .and it had me laughing so much .seeing how the villagers are so unresponsive to the threat at hands .while the two camps are at the brink of neverous breakdown ..with their weapons ~ ..classsic scene to me ..And that popcorn scene ...amazing ~ ...how a destructive weapon can create such a beautiful scene ..

i like this pic ~

9420050519_16045297.jpg

I absolutely ADORED this movie. It was sad (i cried) and REALLY REALLY funny. I LOVE the part with the wild pig. Facial Expressions= preiceless. It was HILARIOUS! I LOVED how the part where they show Smith with his new country clothes. XD We sell it at our asian market! Shin Ha Kyoon is a very good actor. He did a really good job in this movie and another music video "I love you". He's such a funny yet cool actor

i hated the wildboar scene too.. i thought it looked too amateurish.. :/ and kinda lame.. hehe.

my favorite character from the movie was the younger soldier from north korea.. he reminded me so much of actor park hae il for some reasons.. maybe the small eyes and innocent looking face,.... i was wishing for more scenes of him but sadly his part wasnt that big.. but i enjoyed his character :) anyone have more info on the actor???

haha actually i thought the wildboar scene was abit overdone .ya i know it was intented to be comical haha maybe the shift in the scene was too sudden ..--; rather i enjoyed the scene of SHK sliding down the grasss ..slope ..more

ohhh here the guy u looking for

..his name is 류덕환 born in 1987 he was in Little bride as the brother .of MGY ~

00949907_2.jpg

00835560_2.jpg

.haha er but please dun scream when i show u his new movie .er he put on a fair bit of weight for the role as a young wrestler

c320060118_22182469.jpg:P

LOL.. shirl!!! wat a cute pic!!

and wow, ryu duk hwan is really young.. only 19?? and i'm impressed that he's willing to put on weight for his new movie role.. really, a new star in the rise.. will be watching him.

thanks for the info :D

Guest niki figan

OMO.. glad to know there's a lot of ppl who love this movie.. but sadly i cant manage to see the ending since my disc player cant play that part.. i dunno why..

it stopped when that guys started to attack the american troopies... and they managed to bomb one big plane which is cool.. cant believe they did it. so i would be very pleased if there's someone who would like to tell me the next scene.. i'm dying to know it. i heard it has such a sad ending and there's some ppl died. who is it?

gomawoyo.. NIKI

OMO.. glad to know there's a lot of ppl who love this movie.. but sadly i cant manage to see the ending since my disc player cant play that part.. i dunno why..

it stopped when that guys started to attack the american troopies... and they managed to bomb one big plane which is cool.. cant believe they did it. so i would be very pleased if there's someone who would like to tell me the next scene.. i'm dying to know it. i heard it has such a sad ending and there's some ppl died. who is it?

gomawoyo.. NIKI

spoiler alert! all 5 of them died in the end cos the americans had so many planes dropping bombs. but they died with smiles on their faces...

• 1 month later...
Guest aishiteru

Can someone give me a link to dl please? There was a clubbox link previously, but the girl deleted all her files, so it's not there. T-T.

• 2 months later...
Guest BeyoutifuLove x

this movie is so amaaaaaaazing =]

i was BAWLING near the end. it was

so touching and the message was

so.. right. the way that it shows how

even enemies can become friends,

and how everyone is human.

i seriously loved this movie. it really

shows how a movie should be

made. it was so funny too~~ lol.

gah, fully recommended for those

of you who are thinking about

watching it =D

• 3 weeks later...

GOSH! i LOVEEEE this movie! finally had the chance to watch it, and now i understand why it was one of the top 5 films for year 2005. it's simply captivating! :lol: it has its funny moments too~ although, yeah, my eyes was mad red towards the last part. mixed emotions. i just loooved this movie!

but funny how the wild boar part brought all of them together! :lol: :lol:

this movie just awesome~!

• 1 month later...
Guest TY_KSW

M late ...

just completed the movie last night...

Very excellent product... i laught much and tears too...!!!

It's the best war movie after Taegukgi !!!

Guest TY_KSW

Oh My God, so red face right now (^^!) I mean to discuss about the movie, which part u prefer best?...Which was funny?..... B)

the part i prefer best is pop-corn snowing scene !!! so humanity-romantic-and optimic ---in the deadly war !!! :w00t:

The funniest scenes to me is when the bee-hive man joining the villagers who were standing in middle of 2 South-North army.. They are so innocent and carefree.. dun mind the dead weapons but just the boar threathening the harvest.. :lol::lol:

Archived