[movie 2005] Welcome To Dongmakgol 웰컴 투 동막골

Ha Tinh Nhi

Jung Jae Young, Shin Ha Kyun, Kang Hye Jung, Lim Ha Ryong, Seo Jae Kyu
I don't think there is a thread yet for Welcome To Dongmakgol. Such a big movie this year but I didn't get a chance to watch it. Can some one give some poster, trailer or some thng abut the movie? and disgust about the movie :P

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think there is a thread yet for Welcome To Dongmakgol. Such a big movie this year but I didn't get a chance to watch it. Can some one give some poster, trailer or some thng abut the movie? and disgust about the movie :P

^ still waiting for the DVD .~~ but here the information you might be interested

lposter023836.jpg

lposter023836-k1.jpg

official website www.dongmakgol2005.co.kr/

Release date August 4, 2005

Synopsis

During the Korean War, soldiers from the US, North and South Korea come to a peaceful village, Dongmakgol. At first, they confront each other but soon, they start to mix with the villagers. But now the time has come when they must carry out their duties

Main Cast

JEONG Jae-young,

SHIN Ha-kyun,

KANG Hye-jeong

Director : KIM Woo-taek

Producer : JANG Jin

Screenplay : PARK Kwang-hyun, JANG Jin

Music Joe Hisaishi

source : www.koreanfilm.or.kr

Tailer

mms://movie.film2.co.kr/movie2/trailers/T0002528.asf

Clip

mms://stream.cineseoul.com/hhc/hhc000176.wmv

mms://cdn.joycine.com/media/editevent/editevent_welcometodongmakgol.wmv

mms://mmc.daumcast.net/tvnews/ytnstar/200505/24/200505240940204339_s.wmv

there might be some spoilers in this review .but i think not major ones

2005/08/03 08:53 KST

'Dongmakgol' deeply touching with imagination, humor

eng_m01.jpg

'Welcome to Dongmakgol'

By Shim Sun-ah

SEOUL, Aug. 3 (Yonhap) -- The feature debut by director Park Gwang-hyeon, "Welcome to Dongmakgol," is set in a tiny mountain village in South Korea in the early stages of the 1950-53 Korean War.

It begins with the arrival in the village of Dongmakgol of wounded Allied Forces U.S. naval pilot Smith (played by American actor Steve Taschler) after his plane crashed on a nearby hillside.

More strangers then find their way to the remote village apparently oblivious to the war outside: Three North Korean soldiers accidentally isolated from their unit amid the confusion of the battle and two South Korean deserters. Magic butterflies and a cheerful simpleton village girl called Yeo-il (Kang Hye-jeong) draw the visitors into the peaceful hamlet so far unaffected by the war due to its location deep inside the Taebaek mountains of Gangwon Province.

For the people of the village, the newcomers are viewed simply as people "wearing a round gourd and holding long sticks" and who "look irritated a lot," because they have never seen a gun nor military helmet. When the soldiers explain war has broken out across the Korean Peninsula, the villages ask with surprise, "Who invaded? The Japanese or Chinese?"

This is an amusing prologue to a film that portrays the tragedy and absurdity of war.

The soldiers from the opposing sides initially confront each other with their weapons, but the warmheartedness and innocence of the villagers starts to open their minds and bring them together. When they later become aware of an Allied Forces plan to destroy the village in a bombing raid, the soldiers combine forces to defend and protect it.

Adapted from the popular play of the same title staged by movie director Jang Jin and with a soundtrack composed by Joe Hisaishi, renowned for the theme music for Japanese animation hits by Miyazaki Hayao such as "Howl's Moving Castle" and "Spirited Away," this film is packed with fun, energy and deeply touching moments.

Park, a veteran of television commercials, adds artistry, fantasy and imagination to the original story. Contrasted with the tranquil Dongmakgol, where butterflies fly among wild flowers and children play a wide grassy fields, the war feels more tragic.

The fable-like film has two scenes that rank among the greatest in recent films: Popcorn falling like a snow after a grenade explodes in the village's corn storehouse. The other impressive scene is of the indiscriminate aerial bombing of a snow-covered hill as if a fireworks.

Of special visual attraction was the folk festival in which villagers dance to the rhythm of percussion instruments and some children play on bamboo stilts. The beautiful pumpkin lamps lightening up the path leading to the village serve to add to the festive mood. Combined with Hisaishi's music, the scene bring to mind the festival scenes that often appear in Japanese films.

The movie never feels rushed in allowing the South and North Korean soldiers to develop real relationships during a lull in action.

Park was not foolish enough to have the U.S. pilot engage in the battle to defend Dongmakgol. If the American had eventually involved in the fight against the Allied Forces, the film could have been criticized for overindulging in sentimentality.

The battle scene at the end of "Dongmakgol" is spectacular to all the senses, and audiences can fully appreciate the 8 billion won (US$7.7 million) spent producing the film.

The leading North Korean and South Korean soldiers are played respectively by Jeong Jae-yeong of "Someone Special" and Shin Ha-gyun of "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance" and "Save the Green Planet!."

"Welcome to Dongmakgol" opens Thursday nationwide. It was produced by Film It Suda and is distributed by Showbox.

The running time is 133 minutes.

sshim@yna.co.kr

(END)

http://english.yna.co.kr/Engnews/20050803/...03085406E3.html

Guest annababy

HANDS DOWN!!!! ONE OF THE BEST KOREAN FILMS I'VE EVER WATCHED!!!!!! so funny and meaningful, loved it 100%!!!!!!!!! highly recommend ppl to watch it

Guest thesarahchong

Yeah, I heard it was pretty good. I just need to go to the nearest (and only) video store in this town and see if they have it (:

Guest iamstellar!

i totally recommend this movie....i love the part when it rains popcorns...and when everyone helps kill the wild boar....great movie!!!

"disgust"? :lol:

This movie is like a surprise hit of the year, so many awards already.

Oh My God, so red face right now (^^!) I mean to discuss about the movie, which part u prefer best?...Which was funny?..... B)

I watched it without subs before, I have no idea which part is funny or intended to be funny, cus I have no idea what they're saying, but I DO love the raining popcorn scene.

Guest STEPHANIIE*

My parents watched it and they liked it. I watched parts, but lost interest quickly. Maybe I'll watch it again, this time the whole thing.

I've finally seen this movie with subs. I stayed up until 2am last night to finish it, now I want to watch it again! :P

THIS MOVIE IS AWESOME. I love everything about it, and I ended up crying at the end, I'm such a sucker for those kind of ending. T___T

Favorite scenes:

Snowing popcorn, definitely highlight of the movie & being chased by a wild boar! OMFG, I have no idea whether to laugh or take it seriously. :lol:

Archived