[Drama 2023] Brain Works / Brain Cooperation, 두뇌공조 - Jung Yong Hwa, Cha Tae Hyun

partyon

Here are the ratings for Episode 3! :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“Missing: The Other Side 2” Maintains Lead In Viewership Ratings Amidst Stiff Competition From “Brain Works” And “Trolley”

Meanwhile, KBS2’s “Brain Works” scored an average nationwide rating of 3.9 percent, seeing a small dip from its previous episode’s rating of 4.1 percent

https://www.soompi.com/article/1562245wpp/missing-the-other-side-2-maintains-lead-in-viewership-ratings-amidst-stiff-competition-from-brain-works-and-trolley

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

EVENT: Soompi Forums Awards: The Best Daily/Weekend Dramas, C-Dramas and Best of the Rest of KDramas of 2022 - Poll #2

kdr7sTk.gif

Vote for the Best Daily, CDramas and Rest of Kdramas of 2022 here. 2022 was again a year full of dramas, and here's your chance to show which ones you liked the best! 

Your Event Organizers,

@partyon @agenth @confusedheart @Sleepy Owl

Just finished ep 3. This drama starts setting more mystery than comedy, or it's just temporary. 

After the episode 3 I think they either toned down the humor part or I've got used to it by now.

I'm wondering if SHR insistence of being in media is only a petulant child's behavior, or there is something else. Like him wanting to reach someone via media (you might not read a faceless letter, but you can't ignore a TV news with an recognizable face)?  

Is it me or when SHR saw a stun gun his eyes lit up like a child seeing a toy he always wanted to try? 

SHR defended Team Captain from Captain's harassment. That was cute...

...and then ruined it spectacularly. What a guy. Doing everything thoroughly.

But the conversation between GMS and the Team Captain was a serious one. The accident also was not-funny business. It actually gives us glimpses of the serious tone for this drama, that one that is lurking under the surface, under the humor and banter of the MLs. 

Spoiler

The talk about remodeling one's brain, the dramas themes, and the the accident with a nail in a skull, it's just asking for troubles. Curious how Team Captain will be in the next episode. 

Are they trying to check all the pop culture motives of psychopath or something? The brain tissue in the fringe (Sherlock would be proud), the cannibal reference with a doctor who committed a crime and hate disrespect (Hannibal would have a feast on that publisher). Then the cliche "Wait, you have something here. Oh, here. Just let me..." and that grain of rice being remove in such an romantic way (that was a fun part of the episode). Also those hints about - dad's has a crush on someone. That be an interesting idea with Team Captain new personality (and SHR as well). 

Generally, I like the detective work part (gloves on a crime scene, the technical checking the CCTV). 

Can't wait for sub for the next episode. This one was good, a bit cold water, if you expect a laugh and banter, the humor and all.  There were funny moment (the wife making a pole dance on the street, masterpiece), but generally I think they really toned it down. 

I'm getting more and more interested in SHR and GMS connection aside of the current events. 

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

Thanks for the recap @Idylla Kaizoku! I haven’t gotten to Ep 3 yet but hope to tonight or tomorrow. So fun to hear that SHR and GMS are taking care of Team Captain so well. :wub:

Before I forget I wanted to ask you and @partyon if you’ve noticed the baseball cap that GMS always wears. It cracks me up.

spacer.png

(Our four legged friends) 

• LOL 1
  • Blob 2

15 minutes ago, the_sweetroad said:

Before I forget I wanted to ask you and @partyon if you’ve noticed the baseball cap that GMS always wears. It cracks me up.

No, I actually didn't, thanks for point it out. It's heart-warm and funny at the same time. A guy who has a heart on his sleeve wearing a cap (to hide boldness that suddenly  disappeared, sadly) about animals. It's so fitting. 

:please:

I forget to mention the beginning and SHR

Spoiler

accidental help to make GMS a hero who's making good deeds. 

Still don't know if GMS knows the true reason (or just doesn't care to brag), or really thinks it was made with his well being in mind. It's probably the latter. He's a bit naive, to be honest (going into a group of foreigners and says what the other guy - who is known for being a little troll - taught him in the car drive). 

• Blob 2

Here are the ratings for Episode 4! :).

“Missing: The Other Side 2” Remains Steady While “Brain Works” And “Trolley” See Slight Dips In Viewership Ratings

“Missing: The Other Side 2” Remains Steady While “Brain Works” And “Trolley” See Slight Dips In Viewership Ratings

Meanwhile, KBS2’s “Brain Works” dipped to a nationwide average viewership rating of 3.3 percent, which is about 0.6 percent lower than the previous episode.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1562400wpp/missing-the-other-side-2-remains-steady-while-brain-works-and-trolley-see-slight-dips-in-viewership-ratings

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, nohamahamoud2002 said:

Why? I find him interesting and hilarious. He is too obsessed with his work.

If I would meet a person like this IRL, I would find him self-absorbed and annoying - regardless if he were handsome or not…

@nohamahamoud2002 I do find Jung Yong Hwa very good looking :wub:

• LOL 2
  • Wiggle 1

2 hours ago, nohamahamoud2002 said:

@Idylla Kaizoku I remember you are a CNBLUE fan too :)

It's a reason why I've considered this drama in the first place. Glad I did, his making SHR an interesting character (a potential socially-awkword cinnamon roll). Too much knowledge, too little people-skills...

I've watched Bad Cops and Police University and honestly dropped them after one episode, and get a bad impression about the roles Cha Tea-Hyun is choosing. 

2 hours ago, nohamahamoud2002 said:

I find him good-looking.

Nice for the eye, too. But his aura makes him also attractive ;)

Did anyone watched ep 4 already? I'm preparing to watch it now. 

:sipsboba:

• Blob 2

Soompi Forum Awards: Poll #3 - The Most Memorable Characters, The Worst Drama Endings, The Most 'Too Stupid to Live' (TSTL) Characters of 2022.

kdr7sTk.gif

Dear Chingus, Vote for the Most Memorable Characters, The Worst Drama Endings, The Most 'Too Stupid to Live' (TSTL) Characters of 2022!

re: Your  friendly, neighbourhood EO Team: 

@confusedheart @partyon @agenth and @Sleepy Owl

• Blob 1

I write a small recap of the episode after the little theory. I'm putting it under the spoiler tag, so if you're not interested to read a little theory of mine, feel free to skip it :)

Spoiler

So, first thing first. Park Chikook is a pretty nice clue for SHR's parents possible predicament as students of HDW. The doctor told him that the way he acts like SHR's father is disgusting and his knowledge of the true cause (or at least the one SHR remembers) is different suggests that he has some knowledge about SHR's parents. The fact that SHR's aunt doesn't recognize him as a family member, only an university professor, suggests on the other hand that he isn't a family member (or is that information hidden from her), which also makes the memories HDW replays in his mind before meeting SHR a memory of someone familiar to parents - enough to introduce their child, so trust enough to not see him harmful to him or were blackmailed to it. This last one also suggest that HDW knew about SHR before. So, the option is that: his parents being HDW students described how extraordinary their child is, or someone close to them did, or the professor accidentally had met him. 

It's also interesting that Park Chikook said that the encounter ends up to the other person as either: suicide or a committed murder. So it might be possible that one of SHR parents murdered the other (over cheering might be), then commit suicide. 

Ad SHR saw this, but then run to the car and locked there, scared and helpless. The banging might be PCK or paramedic, or police officer (ha! Young GMS, maybe) finding him and trying to help, but six year old boy took that as a threat and erased everything else but this small party of the event.

The car accident was just framed by the HDW and his connections and it would actually worked well with SHR's version of event he remembered. 

Now, he have Hannibal Lecter having Sherlock Holmes as a protege. That's... no good. 

So, an actual recap. There were more serious tones in this episode. Domestic violence, the abuse of authority and responding violence (as self-defense), the last ten or so minutes of the episode generally being quite dark.

It's a lot more interesting than the other three episodes, but I miss a little the banter and the moments like a compulsion to pole dance on the traffic sign... as a relief from the tension. They tried to make it into a comedy a bit (hug in the fridge, talking to the mouse, the suspicious of GMS crush over SHR - it might be not wrong, it might be his brain actually fixating itself on something he vaguely recognized after their near death experience, I explained it a bit below). 

It's an interesting resolve of the case, and what SHR said about it compared to the compassion GMS felt toward the couple. And quite sad if you think it's originate from a misunderstanding. 

Then we have the situation between the Subdivision Chief (I finally remembered his rank) and the Team Captain. Hm, it's high time for him to get his mouth checked, and the change in SSJ was a nice way to do so, but I hope it's temporary and later it's be a merged version of her "two selfs" rather than this one being the final one.

Being a caring and supporting women is also her strength, she just lacked the confidence and stronger resistance to fear. We'll see. 

Then comes the scene with the mouse and revelations SHR comes to (more interest in cleaning that the her genius owner panic). He just doesn't want to admit that he was wrong and that there are people like GMS who just are naive and good people. Also, I think he doesn't want to acknowledge that he likes him too (or at least start), because that would mean his changing without any logical reason. 

Spoiler

If we go with this line of thought, add the fact that we heard reportedly in various forms  that our brain knows better than we do about events, people, etc. It could be that SHR feels safe as he did as six years old and his brain is just getting comfortable, and SHR can't explain it, has no memories of the past, and it scares him, force to make GMS a bad guy to got on tracks and his normal world shifting into its gears. 

I'm curious what will happen next :)

• Blob 2

Watch: Cha Tae Hyun And Jung Yong Hwa Keep The Crew Of “Brain Works” Impressed With Their Hard Work And Jokes

Watch: Cha Tae Hyun And Jung Yong Hwa Keep The Crew Of “Brain Works” Impressed With Their Hard Work And Jokes

Brain Works” has shown off the cast’s hard work during filming in a new making-of clip

KBS 2TV’s “Brain Works” is a brain science-themed comedy-mystery drama about two men who can’t stand each other but who must work together to solve a crime case involving a rare brain disease. CNBLUE’s Jung Yong Hwa plays Shin Ha Ru, a brain scientist who possesses a very “extraordinary brain,” having everything except humanity. Cha Tae Hyun plays Geum Myung Se, a very nice and considerate detective with an “altruistic brain.”

The video begins with a serious meeting scene where Jung Yong Hwa has an incredibly long monologue. Despite the serious tone of the scene and the pressure, the cast and crew chat happily as they welcome Dr. Jang Dong Sun, a brain scientist making a special appearance. Following the scene, he introduces himself and shares, “I’m in charge of consulting for ‘Brain Works.’ Naturally conveying topics regarding brain science is harder than you’d think, but I think the actors did such a good job. Please give lots of love and watch enjoyably!”

In the next scene, Jung Yong Hwa, Cha Tae Hyun, and Kwak Sun Young rehearse for an action scene where Shin Ha Ru pushes Geum Myung Se onto a table full of food. Initially, Cha Tae Hyun worries about the mess he will make on others’ clothing, but once he’s given approval to act freely, the actor makes everyone crack up with his dramatic antics.

Despite filming in the middle of the summer, the cast and crew appear bundled up in coats as they prepare to film in a cold warehouse. To prove just how cold it really is, Jung Yong Hwa locks eyes with the camera and giggles as he shows viewers how clearly he can see his own breath.

At the end of the clip, Jung Yong Hwa jumps behind the camera and pretends to be a part of the crew. While chatting with a real cameraman, who comments that Jung Yong Hwa must be new to the work, the actor makes everyone laugh as he jokes back, “This is my 15th year.”

Watch the full video here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nrRzUoqv-Y

“Brain Works” airs every Monday and Tuesday at 9:50 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1562545wpp/watch-cha-tae-hyun-and-jung-yong-hwa-keep-the-crew-of-brain-works-impressed-with-their-hard-work-and-jokes

• Blob 3

They put a lot of work for the "food scene". The warehouse/refrigerator look like a lot of extra work than the regular work on the drama, but that one was a little... inconspicuous. BTS are great thing to watch. They're showing the part of the drama than can give a depth (if not to the story itself, then to the actors/actress performance). 

:wow2:

• Blob 2

On 1/10/2023 at 7:36 PM, Idylla Kaizoku said:

SHR defended Team Captain from Captain's harassment. That was cute...

Okay, so I just finished ep 3. IF we get romance, it will be between GMS and Team Captain. The third episode totally confirmed it. :D

Also, I have a feeling that Team Captain is gonna wake up with a totally altered personality... haha

We saw flashbacks of Ha Ru's trauma. So it stems from his childhood - not surprising.

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

I just finished ep 3, too! It's a very engaging show.

Some memorable moments:

GMS's ex-wife is ridiculous! :lol: I think she's going to rival Hae Young in Gaus Electronics for the Too Stupid to Live title.

spacer.png

@partyon Totally agree that they're planting love seeds for GMS and Team Captain -

spacer.png

And GMS knows how to push Ha Ru's buttons. Haha.

spacer.png

Also - omo, that frozen pollack had a bigger role than I thought it would have when I first saw it.

• LOL 1
  • Blob 2

12 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

Totally agree that they're planting love seeds for GMS and Team Captain -

Hm, I think it was in ep4 that confirms/denies it, depending on the point of view. They are like a little trolls there, honestly. 

:wut:

And GMS knows how to push Ha Ru's buttons. Haha.

He being himself is what provokes SHR the most, he doesn't need to try.

:hwaiting2:

Also - omo, that frozen pollack had a bigger role than I thought it would have when I first saw it.

Yeah, the tension build around it before the big reveal... And how useful it could be... If it worked. 

Ep3 was nice, can't forget the wife, she's quite great in being the ridiculous one. 

:coolshades:

• LOL 1
  • Blob 1