[Drama 2022] Red Balloon - 빨간 풍선

0ly40

1 hour ago, TheQueenReturns said:

I don't think the 1st female lead is psycho, but she is on a revenge spree for being treated as a doormat by her so-called best friend and her best friend's mother. Her friend treats her like the errand girl she feels sorry for. Plus, it turns out she blocked eligible men from dating her and then they also turn on her think she is pathetic. The man Ba Da will cheat on her husband with AGAIN is the same one that wanted the female lead at first, but was trashing her instead; she just overhead it. By the end of today's episode, she is successfully bedding her best friend's husband. I think that he will even divorce her.

I am sure you are absolutely correct, I zipped through cheating dramas to get the story, the details are often distateful, even if not the total exposure type. 

Just taking pictures as a happy family and enjoying a family remind me of a few psycho women shows. Furthermore,  it's repulsive to involve an innocent child in an outing which may end in a sordid affair. 

Why do I want to watch it? I want to know the ending!! Or rather the whole story. @TheQueenReturns your post  confirms my suspicion that they are all nasty or at least not nice. 

• Like 1

Here are the ratings for Episode 10! :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“Agency,” “Red Balloon,” And “Crash Course In Romance” All Reach Their Highest Ratings Yet

Meanwhile, TV Chosun’s “Red Balloon” wrapped up the first half of its run on its own all-time high, climbing to an average nationwide rating of 7.7 percent for its 10th episode.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1563056wpp/agency-red-balloon-and-crash-course-in-romance-all-reach-their-highest-ratings-yet

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maribella said:

I am sure you are absolutely correct, I zipped through cheating dramas to get the story, the details are often distateful, even if not the total exposure type. 

Just taking pictures as a happy family and enjoying a family remind me of a few psycho women shows. Furthermore,  it's repulsive to involve an innocent child in an outing which may end in a sordid affair. 

Why do I want to watch it? I want to know the ending!! Or rather the whole story. @TheQueenReturns your post  confirms my suspicion that they are all nasty or at least not nice. 

These folks are trashy that it is even hard to root for the kids with the exception of two.. This is a million times worse than Rev Sister or Liver or Die. The in-laws, the husbands, the ex-boyfriend, the moma, sister, dad, uncle, uncle ex-wife, the 2nd female lead and her moma, the main lead, male lead, new 2nd male lead, the list continues.

They have enough to carry on for two seasons, but I don't trust this writer at all. This writer even glorifies adultery more than Pheobe from Love, Marriage, Divorce and Audience Misery :ok:

3 hours ago, TheQueenReturns said:

This writer even glorifies adultery more than Pheobe from Love, Marriage, Divorce a

I am inclined to agree with you but since I am in a charitable mood, I think the writer wants to give the other side of the coin. :surprisedwut:

The old guy was unhappy and it did not take much of the twitchy young twit to entice him. He is old and married with children for goodness' sakes. Drop your pants for other men.:unamused:

Well continuing with my charitable mood, :D the FL felt betrayed so she went all out to bed her good friend's husband- a doctor who probably earned more than she did. Ok that was smart. Not like her sister.

But she did spend the day at the park with him before she heard all those things that the friend did. So she's just looking for an excuse. IMHO.

In VIP, the writer did the same ' other side of the story' thing. Poor mistress was the illegitimate kid of the CEO of the wife's company. The cheating husband was a RickRoll'D ( in actuality) and suffering terribly with the stigma. Yeah sure. I don't remember any kdrama that I had watched in the last 15 odd years that did not have a mistress' kid.  So both needed our sympathy? Ptui, ptui, ptui.

• Like 1

Comparison between Red Balloon and Love (ft. Marriage and Divorce) and their status as "Adultery Dramas" - When it came to "Love," there wasn't any rhyme or reason why the adulteries happened. The wife could be beautiful and devoted, smart and accomplished, the husband appears happy, and yet they betray their vows. In fact, they spend quite a bit of time showing just how wonderful these marriages are, at least on the surface.

In Red Balloon, you see clearly *why* this happened. The married couples are having serious problems. And the older husband (Nam-cheol), he barely even has a marriage as far as we can see. His most important relationship is with his father-in-law.

And the mistress-sisters have extremely low self-esteem. Eun-kang, in particular allowed herself to be used for years by her friend Bada. It's bad for Bada to treat her like her servant, but Eun-kang certainly let her, and never complained. And she stayed for 4 years with that awful boyfriend. Again, he's terrible, but she's the one who stayed in that relationship and took his crap for so long.

And Eun-san certainly has her own problems. She's young, pretty, and seems really smart and confident. She can easily find a single guy to date, not some sad-sack ahjussi who is married. You see pretty clearly that both sisters just do not know how to value themselves and be in good relationships where they are respected by their partner.

So about Nam-cheol, I thought it would be a huge disaster when father-in-law finds out he is having an affair. But what was kind of surprising is that Nam-cheol actually holds all the cards, he just doesn't know it. The whole family is so dependent on Nam-cheol continuing to work at the junkyard that if he decides to leave this marriage, they're the ones who will lose out.

Anyway, I predict that both sisters will get what they want, in the end. As in, they will successfully break up these marriages. AND??? It will be miserable. Because a relationship forged in deception and betrayal can't end happily. At first they will be in a sex haze and think their dreams came true, but reality will come crashing down. They will be dealing with endless scorn and devastated children... so yeah, it's going to be MESS. In addition, I don't believe the husbands themselves will be happy with how things turn out.

But I honestly feel like it's *well-observed* mess. Yeah, no one is behaving well, but at least you understand why. It really isn't just a random bunch of grotesque people like her previous two projects (Liver or Die, Revolutionary Sisters) that were just an endless parade of WTF-WTF-WTF.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chickfactor said:

whole family is so dependent on Nam-cheol continuing to work at the junkyard that if he decides to leave this marriage, they're the ones who will lose out.

I think they are co-dependants.
What would he do if he left the family junkyard? Married for 18 years and I assume worked for that long. He should  be in mid-40s, what could he do or where would he work? I think they are squeezing the tears like in the preview, very angsty. Then he goes back to his wife. Maybe Father in law dies.

But the FL will get her man after all the wife is a cheat, her mother is not helping  so the marriage will end. That would be acceptable to Korean viewers, I think.

3 hours ago, chickfactor said:

allowed herself to be used for years by her friend Bada. It's bad for Bada to treat her like her servant, but Eun-kang certainly let her, and never complained.

Failing so many times to qualify is rather pathetic. Just give up and get a decent job, how could people respect you when you don't. The sister is making gooey eyes to a not so good looking old man. Offering to shack up with him?? Maybe she thinks he is rich. The other worker was a quick thinker but isn't it embarrasing for your co-worker to know what's going on? 

1 hour ago, Thong Thin said:

just managed to finished Ep 1...will continue to check how Eun Kang gonna seduces Cha W

If he didn't find it awkward to spend the day accompanied by his wife's good friend, it won't be difficult.

6 hours ago, TheQueenReturns said:

On a side note, Nam Cheol has ugly feet AND it is a joke when his wife told him he looks young. No way is he in his forties when he looks like he is pushing late fifties early 60's. The writer should stay away from lines like that.

It seems acceptable for writers to inflate and deflate ages. I'm ok with short flashbacks.

The wife looks just right for him. 

I can understand having Song Hye kYo playing a 36 year old woman in Glory, she has star attraction, but next to a 20 something guy, even she looks like a noona. NC next to his young mistress looks like a father when he's supposed to be an older brother kind of age. 

In real life, would an attractive young girl make a play for a 40 something married man who is the boss of a junkyard and drives a beat up old lorry? 
I hope this relationship ends soon.

Confused Cat GIF

• Like 1

“Red Balloon” Not Airing This Week To Ensure Better Production

“Red Balloon” Not Airing This Week To Ensure Better Production

Red Balloon” is taking a break this week.

On January 20, a source from the drama stated,

“‘Red Balloon,’ which reached the halfway mark with Episode 10 on January 15, will take a break from airing for a week in order to ensure an improved and more complete quality of production.”

Accordingly, Episodes 11 and 12 which were scheduled to air on January 21 and 22 will instead air on January 28 and 29.

Starring Seo Ji Hye, Lee Sung Jae, Hong Soo Hyun, and Lee Sang Woo, JTBC’s “Red Balloon” is a thrilling yet passionate story about the sense of deprivation we all feel when comparing ourselves to others, the thirst of jealous ambition, and our struggles to quench that thirst. Seo Ji Hye stars as Jo Eun Kang, who dreams of becoming a teacher but instead works as a tutor after consistently failing her employment exams.

Spoilers

In the last episode, Jo Eun Kang shocked viewers by finally unveiling her hidden desire for Go Cha Won (Lee Sang Woo), the husband of her best friend Han Ba Da (Hong Soo Hyun). Jo Eun Kang then started to reveal her deep-rooted anger and hatred after learning Han Ba Da’s true intention of using money to take advantage of her poor situation.

In the end, Jo Eun Kang set up a meticulous scheme to cause misunderstanding and conflict between Han Ba Da and Go Cha Won. After the last episode showed Jo Eun Kang successfully seducing and spending a passionate night with Go Cha Won, the drama heralded a dramatic catastrophe to come in upcoming episodes.

Lee-Sang-Woo-Seo-Ji-Hye.jpg

The production team commented, “‘Red Balloon’ has reached the halfway mark after Episode 10,” adding, “We will take a week of rest before the storm unfolds in the second half of the drama. We will return with an even more detailed and thrilling production.

Please look forward to Episode 11, which will air on January 28.”

Episode 11 of “Red Balloon” will air on January 28 at 9:10 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1563796wpp/red-balloon-not-airing-next-week-to-ensure-better-production

• Like 3

My speculation is that they are going through reshoots and rewrites and gearing for a multi-season arc I am getting Love, Marriage, and Divorce ridiculously elongated extended episodes vibes. This drama was already pre-made.

Ji Nam Cheol story arc is a drag and should fall into supporting character territory. I hate affair glorification, but his affair storyline is not interesting at all with him looking like grandpa rocking the cradle with his romance. He really looks like the miscast one out of the bunch. There are some seriously charming mature male actors that could pull that midlife crisis with charisma off, but this actor is not one of them.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jonah Kyle said:

To be fair, Ep 10 ended in probably the most dramatic way

i could not agree more...i hated what happened...Seo Ji Hye is so beautiful ...i just loved her as King Gongmin's first wife and a Yuan Princess,Noguk (Sin Don)!!!

• Like 2

Watching the old cheating man dancing in his boxers.puke GIF

Little sis is disturbingly bold and the cheating husband is a coward! She has that hair pulling coming towards her justly from the wife according to the previews. Who goes to their affair partner's house and expose the cheating to force a divorce?

• LOL 2

Here are the ratings for Episode 11! :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“Crash Course In Romance” And “Agency” Soar To Their Highest Ratings Yet

Meanwhile, TV Chosun’s “Red Balloon” achieved its highest ratings yet for a Saturday (when its ratings are typically lower compared to Sundays). The latest episode of the drama scored a nationwide average of 6.9 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1564608wpp/crash-course-in-romance-and-agency-soar-to-their-highest-ratings-yet

• Like 1

I just watched the 11th episode, am not watching the raw 12th yet.

The mother told the wife  what she suspected but the wife needed the mistress' help at work. So everything was business-as-usual on the surface.

The  audacity of the characters! 
I am not enjoying this. Saying that he was her first balloon starting 10 years earlier after sleeping with him did not make it less sleazy. Even if the wife was nasty; she didn't seem that bad.

I prefer a better looking wife so that the balance is less skewed. :expressionless: 

• Like 2