[Drama 2023] The Girl Downstairs / 이두나! - Bae Suzy / Yang Se Jong 

Maetawinz

Netfilx DRAMA   

The Girl  Downstairs

4HytDsr.jpg

Drama: The Girl Downstairs
Hangul: 이두나!

Director : Lee Jeong Hyo (Crash Landing on You)
Writer : Min Song Ah (Webtoon)
Network: Netfilx

Episodes: 8
Release Date: 2023
Runtime: TBA
Language: Korean

STORY  

When Joon moves into his new apartment on his first day of college,

he wasn't expecting beautiful ex-celebrity Duna to be living downstairs.

Joon tries to avoid her at first, but finds himself growing more and more curious

about her mysterious life.

(Source: webtoons)

Cast  

SUZY-VOGUE-KOREA-Juin-2020-2.jpg

Bae Suzy as Lee Doo Na

Yang_Se-Jong-P3.jpg

Yang Se Jong as Lee Won Joon

01.Soompi code of conduct | SOOMPI RULES FOR KDRAMA | MOVIES | ACTORS' & ACTRESS' SECTION

Don't post any requests for subs!

Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. 

Don't quote images.

01.Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately.02.Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.03.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, Youtube, etc.. should be reported to their respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.04.Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their Id/IDs reported the mods. 05.Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs ( those without permission from the original subbers and doesn't have copyrights like  Viki, Viu,Dramafever, ) will have their ID's reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions.

PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

• Like 2

• Maetawinz changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2023] The Girl Downstairs / 이두나! - Bae Suzy / Yang Se Jong 
  • 1 year later...

Suzy And Yang Se Jong Get Entangled With Each Other In Upcoming Romance Drama “Doona!”

Sep 25, 2023
by S. Kim

Suzy and Yang Se Jong’s upcoming romance drama “Doona!” has dropped new stills!

Based on the webtoon “The Girl Downstairs,” “Doona!” is a romance drama about ordinary university student Won Jun (Yang Se Jong) and retired K-pop idol Doona (Suzy) who meet at a share house.

The newly released stills feature Suzy, who perfectly transforms into the charming Lee Doona, who used to be the main vocalist of a popular idol group but suddenly announced her retirement and stays in a share house near a university.

suzy01.jpeg

suzy03.jpeg

Suzy introduced her character, saying, “Doona is honest and outspoken, but she also has a wounded [heart] and loneliness, so she feels like a cat with sharp claws, but in reality, she is like a ‘dog-like cat’ who likes people.”

Spoiler

suzy02.jpeg

More stills below capture Yang Se Jong who plays the male lead Won Jun, a college student who is extremely ordinary but warmhearted. Won Jun decides to live alone due to the long commute to school and encounters former idol Doona for the first time at the share house entrance. Won Jun, who has no interest in idols, just thinks of Doona as someone he has seen before somewhere.

yang-se-jong01.jpeg

While Won Jun looks weirdly at Doona, who keeps on speaking informally and expresses her annoyance to him, Won Jun cannot get Doona out of his mind for an unknown reason.

Spoiler

yang-se-jong03.jpeg

yang-se-jong02.jpeg

Yang Se Jong remarked, “I felt excited and imagined, ‘What would it be like if this really happens in reality?’ while I was reading the original webtoon,” raising viewers’ anticipation for the drama.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1615992wpp/suzy-and-yang-se-jong-get-entangled-with-each-other-in-upcoming-romance-drama-doona

by Hazel Jung, September 21, 2023

kAkO8w_2f.jpg

The Netflix original series Doona! is a romantic drama about the story of ordinary college student Won Joon (Yang Se Jong), who meets and falls in love with the retired former K-POP idol Doo Na (Suzy) while living in a shared house.

x4EXow_2f.jpg

The teaser poster, featuring dialogues about the relationship between former K-pop idol Doo Na and college student Won Joon, captivates with its vibrant colors. Doo Na playfully asks, "Can't you just say you like someone?" and teases Won Joon with questions like, "So what should we do? Should we date?" Her mysterious and playful demeanor intrigues Won Joon, prompting him to ask, "What are you thinking? I'm so curious." Doo Na and Won Joon grow closer as their feelings develop and share meaningful glances, creating an exciting and heart-fluttering tension.

WPbr0W_2f.jpg

The teaser trailer, set against the backdrop of a sunny morning, showcases the charming Doo Na, who can't help but draw Won Joon's attention. Doo Na, a former idol in hiding, and Won Joon, a diligent college student focused on his future, live together in a shared house, gradually getting to know each other's daily lives. Doo Na's pure-hearted nature and innocent actions leave Won Joon wondering if she's adorable while he remains oblivious to her true feelings. Director Lee Jeong Hyo carefully explores the process of their relationship, aiming to provide viewers with a deeper understanding of the character's emotions.

Doona! promises to stimulate the romantic senses of viewers worldwide as it depicts the sudden and thrilling emotions of the early 20s. The series is set to premiere exclusively on Netflix on October 20th.

Spoiler

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished the drama ...

I didn't like the ending - the drama is still very good, its just the ending was too realistic. With what we were shown of the FL's history I thought the ending would turn out different - I was just hoping for something else. Something un-realistic 

Still a very good drama, at 9 episodes an easy watch.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Hmmm very surprise that there is almost no comment about this drama on this forum.

I've been waiting for this in Netflix because of Bae Suzy, but honestly I thought I wouldn't like it.

Glad I was wrong. 

It was a very good drama, and whilst the ending was quite bitter sweet, I guess it was realistic as @LeftCoastOppa said. 

I know it will be very unlikely, but it isn't a sin to wish, so wishing for a season 2.

Doona and Vagabond are now my top 2 favorite Bae Suzy dramas. Just ironic that Vagabond also deserved a season 2.

• Like 2

Finished this today. It was a really compelling story, and one that tries to provide some insight into an idol's mental and social wellbeing. It also does a good job at examining what a normal relationship could look like for an idol, and it's long term effects even in the right circumstances. I thought they'd melodrama the finale, I'm glad they didn't because it would've nullified all the effort they made leading up to it. So many of the key story beats are themed around recovery, and dealing with hardship. I thought they had done a great job carrying this theme throughout, and consistently examined every character through this lens. Having said all of this, it was a very sad drama, one that didn't leave me upbeat or in a positive mood at all. I suppose that was the trade-off.

8 hours ago, Bojun said:

Hmmm very surprise that there is almost no comment about this drama on this forum.

I think it would help if the thread title was updated. :joy:

• Like 4

5 hours ago, sadthe1st said:

i don't quite get the ending..

putting it in spoilers

Spoiler

I've read that in a few places - others are pointing to the very first scene in the last episode intro of them meeting at the riverside - Won-Jun is clearly his older self, and he's wearing the same tan overcoat he was in at the end of the episode ... I'll take that ending, I wanted them together even if it proved difficult

• Like 3

• liyahsbutterfly changed the title to [Drama 2023] The Girl Downstairs / 이두나! - Bae Suzy / Yang Se Jong 
On 10/23/2023 at 2:39 PM, LeftCoastOppa said:

Hide contents

I've read that in a few places - others are pointing to the very first scene in the last episode intro of them meeting at the riverside - Won-Jun is clearly his older self, and he's wearing the same tan overcoat he was in at the end of the episode ... I'll take that ending, I wanted them together even if it proved difficult

I was actually wondering about this scene expecting it to be the end. 

Having said that, I read that the ending of the webtoon was even worse.

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 2

4 hours ago, sadthe1st said:

i saw people replying on IG that there's too many cut scenes, and should have a special episode..

Same here. Especially the scene showing Doona and the ML meeting each other in Japan.

• Love 1

On 10/23/2023 at 3:14 AM, sadthe1st said:

i don't quite get the ending..

putting it in spoilers

Hide contents

i thought they are still together, probably keeping their relationship in a secret.

Yes you're right. The way it's told isn't explicit at all, but there isn't too much to interpret. This is my summary of the finale which I'm sticking with.

Spoiler

There are 3 time periods in the finale which is important:

1. Prior to Won-Joon's military service
2. Post military service
3. After Won-Joon got he's new job

Prior to military service:
In the dinner scene where Won-Joon tells Doo-Na he's going to serve in the military, Doo-Na suggests that once she's established things will get easier for them, but Won-Joon wants to end their relationship. Then during the train station scene that follows, Won-Joon deliberately hurts Doo-Na's feelings, Doo-na says that he is the one that is letting go and Won-Joon admits it. This is where they officially break up.

Post military service:
We get another scene at the train station, as Won-Joon is walking through there are constant posters of Doo-Na indicating she becomes established. It's been 4 years now since she became a solo artist. There is even a particular poster for her new album called 'Undercover'. I feel this is a deliberate attempt from the director to state that Doo-Na, is still in love with Won-Joon, and she hasn't let go of him, thus undercover. It is also symbolism to indicate the complicated nature of public relationships for idols.

When Doo-Na and Won-Joon meet again for the first time in 4 years, this is just after the reunion at the house with the friends. When they both go for a drink, she asks him have you listened to my music? We don't get an answer, but it is implied through the next scene, in which she is crying at home, that he probably didn't.  My guess is she wrote songs for him in the new album. As she weeps at home, she decides to go confront him. It is in this scene that they rekindle, when she demands an apology from him this time.

If you recall back to when she abandoned him at her grandmothers house, and left with her manager (in episode 7). Won-Joon requested an apology, and Doo-Na explained that she accepts her feelings for him are true, and tells him she loves him.

Similarly, Doo-Na wants the same here, and both state that they've missed each other. It is this scene that seals the relationship and implies they're officially together again.

After Won-Joon got he's new job:

You see a shot of him walking through the park with, he's headphones in (more than likely, listening to Undercover). Then in the final scene (which happens to be in Japan) as they walk in opposite directions, Doo-Na looks back as she seemed aware he is there, together in the same space, but not together. I think this scene in itself is a deliberate attempt to suggest their relationship is still not public. Because we learn at this moment that the very first scene in the episode that takes place by the sea in a red field, where Won-Joon is wearing the same suit and coat, is the epilogue.

• Like 4