[Drama 2022] The Queen's Umbrella/Umbrella, 슈룹

larus

Here are the ratings for Episode 2! :).

tvN’s new historical drama “The Queen’s Umbrella” is on the rise!

On October 16, the new miniseries starring Kim Hye Soo enjoyed a significant increase in viewership for its second episode. According to Nielsen Korea, “The Queen’s Umbrella” rose to an average nationwide rating of 9.1 percent, defending its position at first place in its time slot across all channels.

“The Queen’s Umbrella” also remained first place in its time slot among the key demographic of viewers ages 20 to 49, with whom it scored a nationwide average of 3.6 percent.

“The Queen’s Umbrella” Ratings Rise For 2nd Episode As “The Empire” Climbs Back Up | Soompi

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

16 hours ago, Gumiho said:

I see that the king is a hypers*x?? Why does he need many wives? The results of this are he has too many sons

During imperial times, kings or emperors were expected to have many sons. China emperors had a harem of 3000 concubines.

I was watching Ruyi something palace, the females were really bit*** and there were poisonings, conspiracies galore. 

@partyon is this a real Joseon king and queen or another Daeha? 

15 hours ago, partyon said:

And this differs from modern k-dramas how? :D

The lazy sponging chaebol heirs have been replaced many times, but slothful royalty are like glued. Look at today's royalties, some refuse to share the royal responsibilities but have no problem cashing in on it. Quite a big difference.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

love all the scenes between Seongnam  and Uiseong.. 

I think Kang already has two allies...The teacher and the eunuch were so satisfied 

when SN arrived to register.   

the childhood scenes...Prince Seongnam was dressed as a peasant

and he lived outside from the palace..:unsure:

• Like 1
  • Blob 4

16 hours ago, rocher22 said:

the childhood scenes...Prince Seongnam was dressed as a peasant

and he lived outside from the palace..:unsure:

I am dying to know how he ended up living outside the palace. He will be king and I think the death of the Crown Prince will drive him to win. His relationship with his mom seems so strained and I want to know why??

@partyon I believe this is make believe. I checked could not find anything on Queen Im-Ryeong

Check this out 

https://theenvoyweb.com/features/im-hwa-ryeong-under-queens-umbrella-real/

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886a8c876747f69e44c76

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886a8c876747f69e44c76

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I've been away from k-drama for almost a year, but this one looked interesting enough to watch. I liked the first 2 episodes but KHS's make up is a bit distracting. I still get the princes mixed, but I totally like Prince Muahn. While I don't believe he is womaniser, I think he is mere a social butterfly - like V from BTS. He seemed to get along well with all the other princes and is the kind that says whatever he thinks.

It's also fun to see how close the brothers are, and how easy going their relationship with the queen is. They all cringed at the queens sudden gentleness and began to push her buttons until their "real" fierce mother reappeared. That was quite funny to watch!

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

Under the Queen’s Umbrella: Episodes 1-2

by alathe

https://www.dramabeans.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/coverphoto.jpg

Under the Queen’s Umbrella is billed as a comedy, but although it’s funny, this doesn’t quite capture its real strength: at heart, it’s an intense political thriller about a woman striving to keep her family alive. This show is a wry look at the difficulty of surviving as a woman at court, but it’s also plotty and creative, with more cutthroat political scheming than you can shake a stick at.

EPISODES 1-2 WEECAP

QUEEN IM HWA-RYEONG (Kim Hye-soo) is a force of nature. She storms through the palace at breakneck pace, gulping herbal medicine pills like they’re the Joseon equivalent of Red Bull. When she catches her son fooling around with a courtesan, she drags the former straight out of bed, and brandishes a hairpin to the latter’s throat. She’s assertive to the point of recklessness with the formidable DOWAGER QUEEN (Kim Hae-sook), confident in her position as official wife amongst her king’s bristling flanks of consorts. (After all, what’s better than five sons and one wife? Ten sons, and ten wives! At this point, the king could start a marching band.)

However, if there’s one thing she’s sure of — and believe me, our heroine is sure of many things — it’s that her four youngest sons needn’t apply themselves too assiduously to their studies. Why would they, when she’s already raised the perfect crown prince (Bae In-hyuk), primed to ascend to the throne unchallenged? Therefore, when the King’s cadre of consorts squabble and clamor for their sons to shine in the Jonghak — i.e. royal school — it’s not too big a deal that the grand princes appear somewhat duller. Of course, this won’t stop our queen from sprinting across the palace to shepherd her embarrassment of sons into some semblance of decorum… or, at the very least, persuade them to show up.

As for our band of miscreants? There’s PRINCE SEONGNAM (Moon Sang-min), a wild child who’d rather ditch everything to go riding. Then, PRINCE MUAN (Yoon Sang-hyeon), consummate ladies man, he of the unauthorized “friendship” with the courtesan, whose interest in his studies extends only as far as the odd seminar on sex education. There’s PRINCE GYESEONG (Yoo Seon-ho), a bookish young man who’d show promise, were it not for his carefree indifference to more or less everything. Finally, there’s PRINCE ILYOUNG (Park Ha-joon), who… well, frankly, I’m not sure what’s up with Ilyoung. Mostly, he just likes to sleep in. Relatable!

No matter. Our crown prince is the very model of a Joseon intellectual. He’s a dutiful son and loving father, who never saw a grade in his life that wasn’t tong — outstanding. Approximately none of this matters when he collapses to the floor, mid-conversation with his doting mother. Turns out, even perfect heirs have perfectly-kept secrets — and the Prince’s is deadly. He’s been steadily growing sicker over the past year, thanks to the same fatigue condition that afflicted his uncle, PRINCE TAEIN. Here’s the kicker: Prince Taein died of it. Informing the king is a road fraught with peril; Hwa-ryeong’s position, and therefore the safety of her sons, depends on the crown prince’s health. Best to stay discreet — for now.

morehttps://www.dramabeans.com/2022/10/under-the-queens-umbrella-episodes-1-2/

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

that was a thoughtful and smart answer..    :approves:

But Im not sure that Seongnam will become a cohort..   :unsure:

This  made me laugh 

Consort Tae - '' Im more nervous then on my first night with the king''.   :lol:

• LOL 1
  • Blob 1

I really love the camera work combined with the emotions and the music. It makes me teary-eyed. It's really beautiful and heartbreaking.

However, a big red flag is that the queen keeps protecting her sons without alerting them to the danger. The only one who seems to know is Seongnam, who unfortunately was not present in this episode much... 

I thought she was about to tell her son but instead she let him be himself. Which is terribly nice (and unwise), and totally unexpected. I suppose she understood his feelings and wanted to show him that she accepts him, which is quite radical for a kdrama (or a Korean parent in those times HAHAHA). 

I'm just worried Grand Prince Gyesung will die in the name of being himself... 

• Blob 2

53 minutes ago, agenth said:

I thought she was about to tell her son but instead she let him be himself. Which is terribly nice (and unwise), and totally unexpected. I suppose she understood his feelings and wanted to show him that she accepts him, which is quite radical for a kdrama (or a Korean parent in those times HAHAHA). 

I thought the same thing. it was so unreal.

Thats why I cant take this drama seriously.  I like the prince GS, but his behavior towards his mother was childish.

• Blob 2