[Drama 2023] Crash Course in Romance /One Shot Scandal, 일타스캔들

larus

Jeon Do Yeon And Jung Kyung Ho Dish On Working Together For New Drama “Crash Course In Romance”

Jeon Do Yeon And Jung Kyung Ho Dish On Working Together For New Drama “Crash Course In Romance”

Jeon Do Yeon and Jung Kyung Ho have shared their thoughts on their upcoming tvN drama “Crash Course in Romance”!

“Crash Course in Romance” is a new drama about the unlikely love story between Nam Haeng Sun (Jeon Do Yeon), a former national athlete who now runs her own side dish shop, and Choi Chi Yeol (Jung Kyung Ho), a star instructor in Korea’s elite private education sphere.

A devoted mother who gave up her status as a national athlete for the sake of her family, Nam Haeng Sun winds up belatedly learning about admissions exams due to her daughter, who is now a junior in high school.

Describing her character, Jeon Do Yeon remarked, “Haeng Sun’s charm is that she’s cheerful and optimistic. Although she may appear simple, Haeng Sun is a wise person who diligently and admirably sticks to the life she’s chosen for herself.”

“Because Haeng Sun is overflowing with energy and is very upbeat, I initially had a bit of a hard time keeping up when I first started playing the character,” she confessed. “I had a lot of doubts about whether I’d be able to pull off the rapid-fire dialogue as if it were Haeng Sun’s own words. That was the part I paid the most attention to, that I was the most worried about.”

Jeon-Do-Yeon.jpg

As for the unexpected chemistry between polar opposites Nam Haeng Sun and Choi Chi Yeol, the actress commented, “Just like it says in the drama’s dialogue, Haeng Sun initially sees Choi Chi Yeol as someone who’s cold [to others]. But the more she gets to know him, he turns out to be someone who’s not cold [to others], but who feels cold himself—a charming person who is actually warm, full of affection, and a bit clumsy.”

“I think Jung Kyung Ho is a charming actor who draws people in with his friendliness and geniality,” continued Jeon Do Yeon. “From the very beginning, it felt like he was someone I’d known for a long time, so there was no awkwardness between us. I think I was able to adjust more quickly to the filming set thanks to him.”

Jung-Kyung-Ho-2.jpg

Spoiler

Jeon-Do-Yeon-2.jpg

“‘Crash Course in Romance’ is a realistic romance disguised as fantasy, and it’s also a heartwarming story about family,” concluded the actress. “I think it’s a drama that the whole family can watch together. I hope that the warm and positive vibes of ‘Crash Course in Romance’ will be conveyed well to viewers.”

Jung Kyung Ho similarly expressed confidence in the upcoming series, noting, “As you can tell from the genre, ‘bittersweet romance,’ it’s a charming drama that will touch viewers’ hearts in many different ways.”

When asked why he agreed to star in the drama, Jung Kyung Ho revealed, “I’d always wanted to work together with director Yoo Je Won, and I think I’ve watched almost all of writer Yang Hee Seung’s work. But above all else, I chose the drama without hesitation because it was a chance to work together with Jeon Do Yeon.”

As for how he prepared for the role of Choi Chi Yeol, he shared with a laugh, “At first, I think I tried hard to learn and understand more about math. But I realized early on that it was useless. So I looked up and watched lectures by famous instructors, and I also went to take classes myself for research. I’d never written on a board before, so I also focused on trying to make it look natural when I did it [in the drama].”

Spoiler

Jung-Kyung-Ho.jpg

Reiterating just how excited he was to be able to work together with Jeon Do Yeon, Jung Kyung Ho remarked, “I think of it as a tremendous honor. Whenever the two of us are filmed in a two-shot from the same angle, I still think to myself, ‘Wow, it’s a good thing I worked hard [in order to be able to make it to this moment].'”

“Haeng Sun is someone who is unparalleled in how much she values her family, how strong she is, and how pure and transparent she is,” he continued. “It doesn’t seem like this side dish shop owner and the No. 1 instructor in the private education sphere would be likely to meet. The journey of how these two people wind up meeting and falling in love will make viewers’ hearts flutter in a new and refreshing way.”

Spoiler

Jung-Kyung-Ho-3.jpgJeon-Do-Yeon-3.jpg

“Crash Course in Romance” will premiere on January 14, following the conclusion of “Alchemy of Souls Part 2.”

Jeon Do Yeon And Jung Kyung Ho Dish On Working Together For New Drama “Crash Course In Romance” | Soompi

• Like 1

by Lily Alice, January 4, 2023
18 7

"Brain Works" Premiers With Satisfactory Ratings, Netflix Releases the Trailer of "Crash Course in Romance."

Meanwhile, Swoon (Netflix's sister channel on YouTube) has recently released a trailer for the upcoming drama "Crash Course in Romance". The rom-com K-drama stars Jung Kyung Ho and Jeon Do Yeon as Choi Chi Yeol and Nam Haeng Seon, respectively.

07nkK_2f.jpg

Haeng Seon is a hard-working, cheerful, and energetic mother who is also a former athlete and a banchan (side dish) shop owner. Whereas, Chi Yeol is a prickly and indifferent educational instructor who is pretty much a celebrity in his field. 

One day, Haeng Seon's daughter asks her to enroll in Chi Yeol's classes that will help her crack the college entrance exams. She then decides to do everything within her power to fulfill her daughter's wish. 

But the former athlete faces cutthroat challenges posed by the world of private education and eventually ends up getting involved with the top hagwon (private institute) instructor. 

What follows is a bittersweet relationship between the duo. 

"Crash Course in Romance" will air every Saturday and Sunday starting from January 14. It will be available to watch on Netflix

• Like 2

Soompi Forum Awards: Poll #3 - The Most Memorable Characters, The Worst Drama Endings, The Most 'Too Stupid to Live' (TSTL) Characters of 2022.

kdr7sTk.gif

Dear Chingus, Vote for the Most Memorable Characters, The Worst Drama Endings, The Most 'Too Stupid to Live' (TSTL) Characters of 2022!

re: Your  friendly, neighbourhood EO Team: 

@confusedheart @partyon @agenth and @Sleepy Owl

News bites: January 11, 2023

by tccolb

With the premiere just a few days away, tvN’s Crash Course in Romance unveiled a new teaser, revealing a little more about our OTP’s first encounter. The unlikely romance between Jeon Do-yeon (Human Disqualification) and Jung Kyung-ho (Hospital Playlist 2) will be starting this week on January 14. [Sports Chosun]

https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/01/news-bites-january-11-2023/

• Like 2

"The story of people's lives" drawn by Jeon Do-yeon and Jung Kyung-ho, 'realistic acting masters', 'Ilta Scandal'

2023010980140_0.jpg

“In the end, I think it will be a drama about people’s lives.”

On the January 9th, tvN's new Saturday and Sunday drama 'Ilta Scandal' press conference (scripts Yang Hee-seung and Yeo Eun-ho, director Yu Je-won) was broadcast live, and director Yu Je-won, writer Yang Hee-seung, and actors Jeon Do-yeon and Jung Kyung-ho attended.

2023010980140_1.jpg

Writer Yang Hee-seung said, “I think it will be a drama like a table with various foods, centered on romance.” There are many things to see," she said.

When asked about the motivation for writing this work, Yang Hee-seung said, "In a way, it's an experience." felt it," she said. And replied, “Even in this war for entrance exams, I thought that if we made a drama with a story that can give each other some kind of synergy, centering on a family with warmth like a lantern, we can give empathy.”

'King of High School Life', 'Oh! It's been a long time since I met director Yu Je-won, who I worked with on 'My Ghostess'. Director Yu Je-won, who showed strong trust in Yang Hee-seung's work, expressed satisfaction, saying, "It was good that it was not different from the results of the author's work, which tells the story of people's lives." They talked about each other, and it was comfortable because there was no emotion to be consumed in the process of understanding the strengths and weaknesses of each other." This is one of the expected points.

2023010980140_2.jpg

In the play, Jeon Do-yeon was a national handball player, but gave up the national team for her family and now takes on the role of Nam Haeng-seon, the president who runs a 'national side dish shop'. Jeon Do-yeon said, "I was attracted to her bright charm," but added, "It's fun, but I was worried about whether I could do it, but the writer told me that it would be nice if the character Haeng-seon looked realistic. I did it because I had the courage to do it," she said, expressing her feeling of being together in this work.

Regarding Jeon Do-yeon's casting, writer Yang Hee-seung said, "I usually write cheerful and bright characters, but this work doesn't have any fantasy setting, so I thought it was important to have a consensus that I could put my feet on the ground. Acttress Jeon Do-yeon expresses that well. I was sure that it would happen, and it felt like I had won a thousand horses.”

Haengseon Nam is a person who is raising a daughter in high school, but is far from the reality of the warlike entrance exam. However, for the sake of her family, she tries to transform into a 'hot-blooded entrance exam mom'. Jeon Do-yeon is also a mother with her daughter, so she was able to relate a lot to this work. Jeon Do-yeon said, "I sympathized with the mother's heart for her child and her love for her family. I approached it so comfortably that I couldn't do anything with any acting." I've seen it, but I sympathize with the fact that you're doing something hard for someone you love," raising expectations for Jeon Do-yeon's 'Southbound Line' to be completed.

Spoiler

2023010980140_3.jpg

Jung Kyung-ho, who will become entangled with Jeon Do-yeon, will play Choi Chi-yeol, one of the most popular math instructors in Korea. Jung Kyung-ho said, "I was offered a drama and I didn't even worry about it." I don't think I've ever thought about it for a moment."

When asked what kind of charm he would show through this work, Jung Kyung-ho said, "I am a private education instructor, but at the same time, he is a character that smells like a person. That's why I'm doing as much as I can." Writer Yang Hee-seung expressed confidence in her casting, saying, "Actor Jung Kyung-ho doesn't need to add anything more, he looks like a real one-hit instructor."

However, Jeong Kyung-ho said that there was difficulty in expressing the first teacher in mathematics and said, “In the beginning, there was a scene in which I read the script and tried to understand mathematics to prepare for the lecture scene, but I quickly realized that it was in vain.” I also listened to lectures, but the most difficult was the writing. When I was filming, there were actually about 100 people in the classroom, and I tried my best not to make a mistake."

Spoiler

2023010980140_4.jpg

Choi Chi-yeol, who seems to have everything from popularity, fame, wealth, and warm visuals, actually suffers from an eating disorder. As a result, it becomes entangled with the southbound line. Regarding her romance with Jung Kyung-ho, Jeon Do-yeon explained, "It's a thrill that I haven't felt in a long time. It's a little uncomfortable, but it's an uncomfortable feeling that I don't hate. It's a meeting that makes me feel excited and don't want to miss it

Regarding the chemistry between the two, director Yoo Je-won said, "At the beginning, the two fight a lot because they have different worldviews, but I still feel that it will work out. It raised expectations for the romance that people will show. Writer Yang Hee-seung said, "I put the two characters in the front so that I could sympathize with them and feel their charm." I have to open '', but I hope it can be a drama that can empathize and heal as we intended.

https://digitalchosun.dizzo.com/site/data/html_dir/2023/01/09/2023010980150.html

• Like 3

• larus changed the title to [Current Drama 2023] Crash Course in Romance /One Shot Scandal, 일타스캔들- Jeon Do Yeon & Jung Kyung Ho -Premieres on January 14

Premiere Watch: Crash Course in Romance

by missvictrix

Time slot: Saturday-Sunday

2023010980140_0.jpg

Broadcaster: tvN
Genre: Rom-com
Episode count: 16

Reasons to watch: This could be the rom-com we’ve all been waiting for. Jeon Do-yeon stars as an ex-athlete, banchan shop owner, and the mother of a teenage daughter. Jung Kyung-ho plays the nation’s top instructor. Naturally, their personalities will clash — and also, they’ll be thrown together a lot, giving us humor, hijinks, and hopefully a good dose of squees. The casting here is really exciting — it’s an interesting pairing and a refreshing demographic, too — but the writer should also excite us, because having Familiar Wife, Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-ju, Oh My Ghostess, and High School King of Savvy on your resume sure gets my antennae up.

TL;DR: Hooray, a rom-com with characters that are not 25!

https://mydramalist.com/723711-one-shot-scandal/cast

• Like 3

Here are the ratings for Episode 1! :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“Crash Course In Romance” Premieres To No. 1 Ratings; “Agency” And “Payback” Hit New All-Time Highs

tvN’s “Crash Course in Romance” is off to a promising start!

On January 14, the new romantic comedy starring Jeon Do Yeon and Jung Kyung Ho premiered to an average nationwide rating of 4.0 percent. “Crash Course in Romance” also took first place in its time slot across all channels—even including public broadcast networks—among the key demographic of viewers ages 20 to 49, with whom it earned a nationwide average of 2.1 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1562929wpp/crash-course-in-romance-premieres-to-no-1-ratings-agency-and-payback-hit-new-all-time-highs

• Like 2

Jeon Do Yeon And Jung Kyung Ho Reunite After A Less Than Ideal First Encounter In “Crash Course In Romance”

Jeon Do Yeon And Jung Kyung Ho Reunite After A Less Than Ideal First Encounter In “Crash Course In Romance”

“Crash Course in Romance” shared new stills of Jeon Do Yeon and Jung Kyun Ho!

tvN’s “Crash Course in Romance” is a new drama about the unlikely love story between Nam Haeng Sun (Jeon Do Yeon), a former national athlete who now runs her own side dish shop, and Choi Chi Yeol (Jung Kyung Ho), a star instructor in Korea’s elite private education sphere.

Spoilers

Previously in the first episode, Nam Haeng Sun and Choi Chi Yeol, who appear to have nothing in common, shared a fated first encounter filled with misunderstanding and coincidence. However, Nam Haeng Sun had no idea that Choi Chi Yeol is the math instructor that her daughter Nam Hae Yi (Noh Yoon Seo) has been wanting to learn from.

The newly released stills depict Nam Haeng Sun and Choi Chi Yeol finally reuniting. Nam Haeng Sun sports a different style than usual, adorably pulling her hood closely around her face while wearing a fanny pack.

Jeon-Do-Yeon-Jung-Kyung-Ho-2.jpeg

Jeon-Do-Yeon-2.jpeg

Meanwhile, Choi Chi Yeol is also dressed differently from his usual clean-cut suit attire, wearing comfortable clothing with a hat and a pair of sunglasses and looking as if he is trying to hide his identity. Viewers are curious to find out why he is facing Nam Haeng Sun again after their disastrous first meeting.

Spoiler

Jung-Kyung-Ho-Jeon-Do-Yeon-1.jpeg

Jung-Kyung-Ho-3.jpeg

The production team shared, “The gradually changing relationship from the intersection created by Haeng Sun, who has learned about Choi Chi Yeol’s existence because of her daughter who wants to take his lectures, and Choi Chi Yeol, who can only digest food from the National Side Dish Shop, will be interesting. Please anticipate the story of ‘Crash Course in Romance’ which will become even more delicious.”

More stills also preview Nam Haeng Sun with the members of the National Side Dish Shop family including Kim Young Joo (Lee Bong Ryun) and Nam Jae Woo. They have gathered together to find a way of making Nam Hae Yi’s wish of attending Choi Chi Yeol’s lectures come true.

Spoiler

Crash-Course-in-Romance-scaled.jpeg

Crash-Course-in-Romance-3-scaled.jpeg

Oh-Eui-Shik-scaled.jpeg

Lee-Bong-Ryun-scaled.jpeg

Although Choi Chi Yeol’s classes are extremely competitive to get into, Nam Haeng Sun wears a face full of determination, raising anticipation for her next course of action.

Spoiler

Jeon-Do-Yeon-3-scaled.jpeg

Episode 2 of “Crash Course in Romance” will air on January 15 at 9:10 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1562953wpp/jeon-do-yeon-and-jung-kyung-ho-reunite-after-a-less-than-ideal-first-encounter-in-crash-course-in-romance

• Like 2

Here are the ratings for Episode 2! :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“Agency,” “Red Balloon,” And “Crash Course In Romance” All Reach Their Highest Ratings Yet

tvN’s new drama “Crash Course in Romance” also saw an increase in viewership for its second episode, which earned a nationwide average of 5.8 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1563056wpp/agency-red-balloon-and-crash-course-in-romance-all-reach-their-highest-ratings-yet

• Like 1

Isn't it interesting that amongst all paranoid and behaving like an extremist when comes to kids' studies, hae in's mom is pretty chilled out which is how it should be but sadly she doesn't value it and complains about it when other kids are suffocated by parents. The jealous girl seems to be jealous of this very fact that hae in has a calmer life. Her aunt is cute and mother goals.

• Like 4

Crash Course in Romance: Episodes 1-2

by mistyisles

http://www.dramabeans.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/CCR0102-00003-1.jpg

What’s the sum of one bundle-of-nerves top-rated math instructor, one ex-athlete/banchan shop owner/single mom, and a handful of less than ideal chance meetings? Heaping portions of heart and sympathy, a dash of humor, and a side of intrigue, apparently.

EPISODES 1-2 WEECAP

http://www.dramabeans.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/CCR0102-00108-1.jpg

These first couple of episodes are mostly dedicated to introducing our major characters and what makes them tick — but less in a giant-info-dump kind of way, and more following them throughout their days and slowly showing us how they got to where they are now. By the end of it, not only do I feel I know the major characters pretty well, but I also really like them and am already rooting for them to find happiness and fulfillment, both individually and together.

First we have banchan shop owner NAM HAENG-SUN (Jeon Do-yeon), who gives us the rundown on her neighborhood’s morning rush hour: determined moms lining up for hours to get a good spot at hagwon for their kids, some going so far as to hire people to stand in line for them. Haeng-sun’s own daughter, NAM HAE-YI (Roh Yoon-seo), has never expressed interest in attending hagwon, and Haeng-sun juggles way too many other responsibilities to pay it much thought.

Not only does she run the banchan shop as a single mom, but she’s also the sole caretaker for her autistic brother, NAM JAE-WOO (Oh Eui-shik), who has a heart condition that lands him in the hospital from time to time.

Eventually, we learn that Hae-yi isn’t technically her daughter, but her niece. One day when Hae-yi was still a small child, Haeng-sun’s sister dropped her off at their mother’s restaurant and never came back. Haeng-sun’s mother ran after her and (it’s implied) was hit by a car. At the time, Haeng-sun was on the national handball team, but kept having to ask for time off to take care of her brother and niece. Annoyed, the coach told her to choose between the team and her family, and Haeng-sun walked out without a second thought. It wasn’t long before Hae-yi asked to call her “Mom” instead of “Aunt,” and it stuck.

Like any family, the two have their rough patches — like when Hae-yi gets frustrated with Haeng-sun’s ignorance about school matters and runs off — but they’re both trying their best to do right by each other in their own way. After a disappointing mock exam, Hae-yi takes her best friend’s advice and asks to enroll in just one hagwon class: that of superstar math instructor CHOI CHI-YEOL (Jung Kyung-ho). That means Haeng-sun will have to close the shop for one morning and plunge into unfamiliar territory amongst the other (very intense) mothers, but she does so with gusto and secures Hae-yi the very last spot in Chi-yeol’s class.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/01/crash-course-in-romance-episodes-1-2/

• Like 3

Really liked the energy between the leads ~ 

I see some comments saying how Jeon Do Yeon looks old - I don't think so. Her character has had a hard life and still she manages to have a smile for everyone. And we have a niece/daughter who isn't a brat. Wonderful! 

The brat is that top student who for some reasons has jealousy issues with the daughter. I guess because one of the boys pays her attention? 

On 1/16/2023 at 4:37 AM, Shimmery-summer said:

Isn't it interesting that amongst all paranoid and behaving like an extremist when comes to kids' studies, hae in's mom is pretty chilled out which is how it should be but sadly she doesn't value it and complains about it when other kids are suffocated by parents.

yeah this drama could have been like Sky Castle, but looks more wholesome instead

• Like 3

Here are the ratings for Episode 3! :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“The Forbidden Marriage” Ends On Its Highest Saturday Ratings Yet

tvN’s new drama “Crash Course in Romance” dipped to an average nationwide rating of 5.0 percent, 

https://www.soompi.com/article/1563876wpp/the-forbidden-marriage-ends-on-its-highest-saturday-ratings-yet

• Like 1

I was excited for this show but seeing ep 4 preview I feel it will go in typical kdrama tropish side and this show will be just another version of drama uncle, I don't think so I would like to bother tuning into a show to see bunch of students' mom acting nasty with each other getting into catfights. This drama looks like will be like Uncle, and moms might plot to get hae yi out of the class, and object on star teacher's and mom's friendship, looks like lot of frustrating angst might come. I hope to be proven wrong but if it takes that angsty tone and throws in typical tropes of schemes and what not, I will drop it, I was staying as it was quite heartwarming till ep 3, ep 4 preview is not pleasant. 

• Like 1

I like this drama, but I get so tired of moms power tripping over their kids' education. Is this a real thing in Korea? Does it really happen?

My son is graduating from nursing this December and is a straight A student without going to any academy. I never pressured him like these moms. It is so tragic. These moms need to get a life.

• Like 2

I think the person shooting ball bearings is tutor's secretary, he might have severe obsession with him and anyone he see is trying to hurt him, he attacks them, like at first hae yi's mom at her store, the stalker girl now young min because he misbehaves with tutor, he is the only one who knows people who were hurting the teacher.

9 hours ago, jma030201 said:

I like this drama, but I get so tired of moms power tripping over their kids' education. Is this a real thing in Korea? Does it really happen?

My son is graduating from nursing this December and is a straight A student without going to any academy. I never pressured him like these moms. It is so tragic. These moms need to get a life.

And it's so weird that koreans really behave like these school curriculums are extemely high level tough and need hardwork and what not and that their people learn toooooo much compared to others, but when their actors and celebs and even younger ones like kpop idols appear on tv they don't know some very common knowledge things that are on fingertips of people from different parts of world. And as if that is not enough they also keep saying something demeaning about other countries. To me it seems they exaggerate common stuff that normally every students from other parts of world also learn but don't make a big deal about it.

Like once I was watching a kdrama and they were showing everyone going crazy about marks, scores to get into top american universitues and they would fight and cry even over 1 point, whilst I personally knew people who got into those universities with above average but not superb scores and normal applications.

• Like 1