[Drama 2022/2023] The Interest of Love/Understanding of Love, 사랑의 이해

larus

1 hour ago, jayakris said:

Yes, he did say 거지 같은 (geoji gateun) which literally means "like a beggar" because geoji is beggar, but the phrase is used for saying "useless" "worthless" "good-for-nothing" "loser" etc without implying the beggar aspect much.  Here he had said two things though, "(You thought) I was hanshim (한심), and geoji gatteun. Wasn't that why it was so?"... The first word means "pathetic".   Because he was speaking fast, there wasn't enough time for us to read long English translations, which may be why the subber dropped the second part and said "It is. I was pathetic. That's why you did this."  (The "It is" was not said.  And it wasn't a statement, as the intonation of what he says shows)

The last part is a statement said as a semi-question with the "chana?" at the end.  Somebody has told all these translators that English speakers never say these things as questions, so they make them statements.  For the life of me I cannot understand it.  English speakers can and do say some of these things as questions in such arguing conversations.  And it is no big deal for us to understand it in the original form itself.  But 4 out 5 times when something said as a question, they will make it a statement.  Here they even added an extra "It is" that was not even said.

I would have just translated it just as he said it.  "I was pathetic. A loser. Isn't that why?"    If more clarity is needed, maybe a "to you" can be added.  "I was pathetic.  A loser, to you.  Isn't that why?"

Actually I am not a Korean. I am from the US (and of Indian origin) but had been in Korea over 15 years ago for 3 months as a visiting Engineering professor. I have then had brief trips many times, as I have a lot of friends and students there, and I absolutely love the country and the people.   In that process I taught myself Korean, as I got very interested in the language because of its history that predates later Indo-Germanic languages and Chinese.  The structure, style, and even words are very close to older (non-Hindi) Indian languages like in the Dravidian family (Tamil, Malayalam etc) which may even have come from Korean. Or the reverse. Or they may have all developed together before Sanskrit, Arabic, Persian and Chinese marginalized the languages in India and Asia to the east.  But none of this is fully established or fully rejected now by researchers.

Back to your question - I am no expert on the cultural issue you raise.  But my feeling is that there  is definitely class consciousness in the Korean society.  It is not based on religion, caste, groups, etc, like in other countries.  It is rather economics and education.  Business, job, salary, parents' economic background, etc, are very important.  But a particularly striking thing is the HUGE importance given to the college degree and even more strikingly, the University one studied in.  Being the alumnus of Seoul National University automatically puts you in a higher category.  Then a few other top universities like Korea Univ, Yonsei Univ etc (the famous S-K-Y group that I think was a theme in the drama Sky Castle).  The college alumni networks are very strong.  The senior/junior thing is real too; the seonbae/hubae automatic friendships from having gone to the same big university, that is.  The ones from Univs below the top-10 are in another lower category.  The 100 odd other Univs below top-25 are "unknown" and worthless for Koreans, it would seem.  Most are quite good though, if you look at the quality of education, but the reputation is a whole other thing.  With that backdrop, a high school diploma is a non-starter in Korea, and SY's issues have a lot to do with it.

The difference you noticed in how people responded to SS getting MK, and SY getting SS is probably not unrealistic.  I think the biggest reason for it would be their feeling that a high school grad has no business dating a college grad from a top Univ like SS is.  If SY was only a high school grad, but a daughter of a very wealthy businessman, nobody would fault her though.  Money, in the end, trumps everything in Korea too :)

Economic status and education come up big in marriage situations in Korea.  Higher education and Housing are quite expensive in Korea and parents routinely put roadblocks on alliances where things don't match.  The size and location of  the buildings or apartments your parents or you own, do come into the discussion very often.  Some of it is because of the reality of life there. A lot of money is needed to own real estate.  The dramas exaggerate a bit, but the issues are indeed real.  The young people know it too.  I have had students who are in good jobs (many after engineering MS and PhDs) in Korea who had to bow out of (or get forced out of) relationships due to economic considerations.  No American student of mine has ever asked for advice on how many kids to have, but my Korean students have!  Having even two kids is unimaginable for many.  Things like when they will retire and whether the kid would have graduated from college and settled in a job by then, etc, get discussed before weddings.  One student chose not to have kids at all when she married even when she and her husband are well-paid engineers  - only because they were already 35+ and felt uncertainty on economics by the time they retire.  Crazy but I could understand it.  It is not an easy life there, though it is a good life in Korea.

Not exactly the items you were asking about, but I hope that gives you some more input.  I see some of these things in the dramas to be not that unrealistic.  Just exaggerated a bit, that is all.  Again, any native Koreans' comments should be taken more seriously than mine in this!

Thankyou, your reply was interesting, lovely and great.

1 hour ago, jayakris said:

One student chose not to have kids at all when she married even when she and her husband are well-paid engineers  - only because they were already 35+ and felt uncertainty on economics by the time they retire.

This is su yong level overthinking and fears lol. Jokes aside it's understandable, also I think some people prolly don't care whether they have kids or not, they just feel pressured to have them because everyone around them are having them. Funny it reminds me of mk's mom, how she used to talk about missing time when she was single and would prefer to go back to it.

• Like 3

On 2/7/2023 at 7:53 PM, nrllee said:

Just saw this.  No English subs.  Looks like SS will still be pining well into Ep15.  

The only thing that can make Sang Su happy now is that if he gets into an accident and loses all his memory and forgets if he ever loved Ahn Su Yeong. :neutral:

I'm thinking of absurdities because I can't see how the show runners will give us or Sang Su closure with 2 episodes left.

Edited by ferily
Please don’t quote videos. Thanks!
  • Like 1
  • LOL 4

Yoo Yeon Seok Falls Into Despair As Moon Ga Young Disappears In “The Interest Of Love”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Feb 8, 2023
by S. Kim

JTBC’s “The Interest of Love” has dropped new stills of Yoo Yeon Seok and Moon Ga Young who are longing for each other!

“The Interest of Love” is a realistic romance drama about four people with different interests who meet while working at the Yeongpo branch of KCU Bank. As they become entangled in one another’s lives, they eventually come to understand the true meaning of love. Yoo Yeon Seok stars as Ha Sang Soo, a man who firmly believes that a stable and uneventful life is the key to happiness, while Moon Ga Young plays his co-worker Ahn Soo Young, who is wary of love.

Spoilers

Previously in “The Interest of Love,” Ahn Soo Young disappeared without warning, surprising everyone around her. Ha Sang Soo felt dejected after losing Ahn Soo Young, who deleted her cell phone number and moved out from her house as if she was determined to move on. Ha Sang Soo vowed to himself not to let go of Ahn Soo Young again, but he never imagined that Ahn Soo Young would leave him like this. Anticipation is high for whether Ha Sang Soo will be able to find Ahn Soo Young and win her heart back.

In the newly released stills, Ha Sang Soo spends each day anxiously thinking about the love that he lost. His heart aches every time he sees trivial things related to Ahn Soo Young.

the-interest-of-love001.jpeg

Spoiler

the-interest-of-love004-1536x1024.jpeg

Although Ahn Soo Young finally succeeded in transferring to a different sector of the bank, she left everything behind determinedly. It is unclear whether Ha Sang Soo will be able to change her mind even if he finds her, raising viewers’ anticipation for the relationship between the two who keep missing each other.

the-interest-of-love002-1536x1024.jpeg

The upcoming episode of “The Interest of Love” airs on February 8 at 10:30 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1565800wpp/yoo-yeon-seok-falls-into-despair-as-moon-ga-young-disappears-in-the-interest-of-love

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This show has become a meme. Every frame is a meme template : the best one is where Su Yeong says: so my father didn't have an affair, my mother did?

My observations as follows:

1. Why are the bank employees so horny? Cheating, dating coworkers, snogging at company dinners, being a sleaze to women.

2. Is Sang Su trying to get the award for the biggest pushover male? He looks pained everytime he's with Mi Kyoung, yet he went to drop her at the airport, because she asked.

3. Is So Gyeong Pil really trying to fix things now after screwing up so royally!! Sang Su shouldn't even have gone for dinner with him. Gyeong Pil is the biggest loser in this show. Everyone cheated, but he cheated his friend, that's worse. And he is very immature, like Mi Kyoung said.

4. What kind of parents don't drop off their kids to the airport when they are travelling to another continent and leaving for 3 years??

5. Su Yeong's mother cheated, not her father, okay so what are we supposed to take away from this information? Unnecessary plot twist for shock value, how does this make it any more palatable.

6. Su Yeong's mother's boyfriend's wife - was she high on something? Why was she holding an umbrella while inside the house? The director, the assistant directors everyone has lost their marbles while working on this show.

7. It's clear that Su Yeong has a habit of jumping to conclusions and then clinging to them as the gospel truth. She did the same with her father. At this point, the best thing that can happen with Sang Su is if he hits his head somewhere and loses his memory, and forgets Su Yeong and the losers he called friends.

8. Ahn Su Yeong, sister, why are you littering the sea? :neutral: it's not the KCU bank.

9. Ha Sang Su has the same phobia of glass floors as I do. :grimace: That was a very relatable moment.

10. They finally have a date in the 15th episode, yet no sweet moments, just montages of them eating, chewing, walking lol. How'll we even get the YouTube fan edits with this footage??

11. Dear god, why can't Su Yeong let go of that one moment of hesitation? You rejected him in every possible way, every single time, without any explanation, isn't that enough? Very poorly written dialogues.

12. Director: how many angles of the bus stop shot do you want?

Writer: Yessss.

13. It's bad manners to not take your colleague to your house when he's visiting your town, but I guess it's okay if you just wanna make out with him in an inn.

14. No preview for next episode. My guess is, they'll meet many years later again, and have soju in some bar while talking in metaphors or riddles, once again. No closure.

• Like 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Thanks 1

Ugh Su Yeong .. Su Yeong ha-ha! So turns out her dad was the better parent and her mom was the real culprit. Aish this and "Trolley" I tell ya.. why can't y'all just talk for goodness sakes?

Looks like it's a sad ending for our otp.. I mean after all that sigh and eh whatever ahah. Jong Hyeon look like he was still hung up on Su Yeong.

Mi Gyeong transfers to the branch in U.S. 'cause it's typical for most in S.K. to escape to U.S. whenever somethin' goes wrong geez LoL.

Happiness seem to be a major theme in this throughout. In a way I get where Su Yeong is comin' from but Sang Su is more than willing to meet her halfway the least she could do is make that effort idk (shrug) she's so frustrating LoL. Yoon Seok did well as Sang Su with his longing looks gosh LoL ... I really feel for the guy.. 

Gyeong Pil should have fought harder for Mi Gyeong as well. He's so gloomy & cynical now LoL. 

Oh btw thanks for the laughs! @Hong Banjang I was very amused by your post. It made my time watchin' this - tolerable eheh.

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

Ep15. We’re nearly at the end…thank goodness.

Thoughts

- I wanted to clap MK for being the most honest (and that’s saying something because as a character I wasn’t particularly taken by her).  For all her desperation towards SS, at the very least she was honest with her feelings and expresses it.  She’s got closure with her relationship with GP now that she forced that reveal from him about why he slept with her best friend all those years ago.  And she sorted things up between her dad and her.  See?  Being honest is the way to go with relationships.  This is the way to say your goodbyes.  Full disclosure.  Reconciliation and closure.  The farewell with SS was a bit awkward at the start (why would you request that he send you to the airport but I guess it was her only opportunity to say goodbye well) but it ended well.  They parted friends. 

- SS takes SY’s name card (for the new branch).  Then tells older lady colleague to tell Assistant Manager Noh that SY had “called” so as to buy her 10days in case she decides to come back.  See?  No closure.  Just like MK all those years after GP thought his way of ending things was the most effective.  Like MK said, it causes more pain for the ones left behind because it’s the ultimate betrayal.  

- GP (to SS) - do you think this is all my fault?  (Is this a rhetorical question? How dense can you be?  You went along with a plan that would cause the greatest hurt to your best friend SS?  I am surprised that he would even consider eating with you again).

- So SY did take SS’s “future happiness” plant.  Why not just leave it behind for him to find?  End it for real?  Don’t string him along?

- As usual, SY’s penchant for just judging on outward appearances before getting her facts straight has resulted in pain for everyone around her… her parents suffered as a result of her misunderstanding.  Goodness knows why they didn’t bother to clear it up for her.

- And yes, SY is still hung up about the hesitation at the lights.  <_<  How petty can you get?  

SY - Why did you hesitate?  Come to think of it, you never gave me a reason. (Well, you never really gave him a chance to explain himself did you?  <_<)

SS - It was for a short moment…but I think I lacked the confidence too.  It wasn’t for the reasons you said, such as being a high school graduate or a service rep.  I wondered if I could really be responsible for another person.  That’s where my thoughts ended up.

SY - who said we were getting married?  (Err…you implied it?  You didn’t want an undefined relationship?  You wanted him to be sure right after the first date?)

SS - I think I’ve always thought way ahead.  That way I could be prepared for any misfortunes that might come my way.

SY - was I a misfortune to you?  (Why is it still all about you?)

SS - No.  just a variable.  (I wanted to laugh out loud here.)

(She leans over to kiss him)

SY - something like this is a real variable isn’t it?  
(He responds in kind with interest.  Challenge accepted. What can I say SS?  You’re a sucker for punishment. :lol:)

- SS and SY farewell at bus stop.  She’s still skittish.  Refusing to let him know where she lives.  She promises to call him.  He’s doubtful (and so are we) because we know what happened last time she waved goodbye to him after he dropped her off.   And then his voiceover… “that…was my last moment with ASY”.  <_<  Well they say a leopard never changes its spots.  And she’s gone and done it again.  After showing up uninvited to the guest house with drinks and then kissing him first… dear god woman, how can you live with yourself?  You keep leading him on.  If there was a woman who just wanted a man to just forever live pining for her, she’s the definition of one.  

• Like 3

If SY doesnt intend to accept SS's love to have a happy ending, why did she want to lead him on to kiss him passionately. If she has no feelings for SS, just move on & stop deceiving him to cause him more heartbreak. With some scenes of JH appearing in ep 15, difficult to predict the ending. SY is playing with 2 hearts :  SS doesnt give full confidence, he hesitated & scared from the start, more of a coward.  Whereas JH worked hard & sacrificed for SY out of love from day one, thus it depends what SY is looking for to her future. Should she choose happiness or love?  Hope SY will end up with JH, SS can wait for MK after 3 yrs when she returns back. Prefer 2 happy couples than leaving 2 broken hearted lovers (JH & MK).

• Like 1

Here are the ratings for Episode 15! :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“The Interest Of Love” Ratings Climb To New All-Time High As “Poong, The Joseon Psychiatrist 2” Enjoys Boost Ahead Of Finale

“The Interest of Love” and “Poong, The Joseon Psychiatrist 2” have enjoyed boosts in ratings ahead of their finales!

According to Nielsen Korea, the February 8 broadcast of JTBC’s “The Interest of Love” garnered an average nationwide viewership rating of 3.6 percent. This is a 0.4 percent increase from its previous episode’s rating of 3.2 percent, and it is also the drama’s highest ratings yet.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1565962wpp/the-interest-of-love-ratings-climb-to-new-all-time-high-as-poong-the-joseon-psychiatrist-2-enjoys-boost-ahead-of-finale

• Thanks 1

Okay on ep 14, it was the most boring and dragged out episode of the show. Mikyong finding out gp's truth from cousin was so predictable. Why jh was still in the show, not sure. Someone should hire a club bouncer to kick him out of the drama. 

It was weird how none of her coworkers showed up at farewell dinner but then I honestly think a person like suyeong doesn't deserve any sincerity.

Mikyong's mom missing ss mom because of her dried skin, just the way she is messed up in head.

I really don't get ss, is he a human slug? Like why he doesn't tell mk's dad we are done, instead stands there with that face and even when she barges in why he doesn't still clear up, it is these hesitation habits of him that made his character unlikeable in early episodes. I really don't know but why mi kyong loves playing victim all the time and try to act everything she does is a huge favor on other person, like in car scene she goes like,  'My name is pretty common and 500-won coins are even more common. From now on, whenever you hear the name "Mi-gyeong" or see a 500-won coin… you'll feel bad for me. Ss: Are you hypnotizing me?

Mk: No, I'm cursing you. That'll be your punishment.' why is she acting like he did something too awful to her like she doesn't remember her own manipulations and forcing her way into his life and now when she is breaking up she is doing it as if she is giving him a favor. And that stupid curse, it wasn't cute.

And btw when she says, 'lets break up', sorry eoooonnie he has already broken up with you ages ago like prolly in 19th century, it's you who is the problem. And when she flips the coin I was like gosh, what is she? Is she even a human or some torture ghost, the guy was looking tortured, just stop with nonsense. Then she tells him how she never slept well during her dating period... imagine being so miserable yourself and yet forcing other person to stay with you, she has such an unhealthy state of mind. Continuing talking about her habit of acting like I am doing favors, when she appears at sy's farewell dinner, again trying to act all magnanimous and stuff, I literally felt nothing for her for appearing there because she is one of the main reasons su yong went full on crazy. Like firstly emotionally blackmail and threaten people with careers and reputation and when people react in erratic ways then again play victim. And her thinking that in her entire time with sy she was actually doing favors to her, wow.

As of sy, why did she do this drama if she is still hanging out with ss? Was noticing when sy calls gp end of ep 12 and when she talks to psycho security in the rain, a sound of siren plays in background, I wonder what is being symbolized by that.

As of sy leaving without telling ss, I don't want to say anything on it, because it's useless to waste words on a person like her, but her quitting the way she did like leaving the resignation behind in locker, although her message wasn't bad in doing so as it was prolly to show that this is the worth of that stupid RickRoll'D bank where she was horribly humiliated and it just deserves this much importance from her that she should dump her resignation in the locker, but it wouldn't have felt this bad had she informed ss and ms seo about her resignation. At this point her action just seemed like attention w.horing.

it's like she is always doing things to get attention. Also her dinner date with ss, is it moon ka young's acting is as such or her character but her constant smiles for ss and then the way she smiles, all look like she is cooking something twisted and evil in her head, something is too off about her smiles, like she is taking pride in the fact this man loves her and she is enjoying playing him. Honestly throughout the show her constant smiles towards all male colleagues including harassers to good ones always made her seem like a devious person. It's like she enjoys the attention she gets for her looks and she thinks she is some queen because of it, btw whatelse does she even have besides looks and a sneaky personality.

Ep 15.  

Okay so it's a fact that from ep 13 this show went to gutters and it keeps getting more and more cringey with ridiculous AF plot twists, first bank drama, then quitting suddenly, now the worst kdrama trope, mom cheated lmao and dad was covering up. Like seriously in that poor state her mom roams around, with tonnes of problems and 2 adult kids, this is what she found as her depression outlet? Cheating in marriage. Just this plotpoint was so bad that it showed how writers have lost every iota of seriousness towards writing this show and they turned it into a laughing stock. Because of it the entire show looked like a joke. When even writers are not taking their own job seriously, and writing all kind of gibberish for the heck of it. Drown 5-6 bottles of soju and write this sh..it. 

It felt bad to see ss in such poor state in her apmt. After returning from there when he sits in office kitchen with that super sad face and takes out her id, I had had enough of it. Like dude enough with this longing for her, would you freaking grow up and act like a man now, and not as a kid who loses his candy again and again and still cries over the loss, how long are you going to chase after a clown who always leaves you behind hanging. She essentially does the same to him that jh used to do to her, suddenly disappear.

Ms seo is so sweet but she is just wasting her kindness on a worthless pos - sy. Two actors deserve special mention for great acting, ms seo and gp, both dud justice to their characters when female lead actress was only going around throwing murderous stares at everyone and anything on this planet throughout the show.

Mikyong is one person who has no value for her own life and the blessings she has. I wasn't bothered with washington transfer, infact I felt angry at how privileged she is that she can transfer herself out on her beckon (not sure if I have used beckon correctly, geeee), like sy was spending years and not getting transferred out and this girl when she wants it, it happens within a week and imagine this b..tch was after others livelihoods trying to get them fired, blacklisted and humiliated because her toy left her.

On her convo with dad, both her parents are weird, her mom is the weirdest, she is so superifical and always obsessed with talking about materialistic things, the awkwardness at lunch didn't make them look like people from same family. I have never disliked mikyong's dad, his attitude towards sang su and in buying her a husband were wrong but as a father I never disliked him, she never contributed a penny to that business from which she spends truckloads of dollars and yet acts rude with dad, hates him, hates his favor but shamelessly uses that money, but her dad never reminds her of it even once. I really think any responsible dad should have cut off her funds. I seriously don't get her being independant drama, like how do people like her look in the mirror? Living off dad's money but grabbing on to a peanuts-paying job to pretend to be self made? Imagine what that job would have meant to a poor guy? And now dad is also getting her a lovely apmt, and again she is stealing a job from a deserving person while living off dad's money's luxuries even in washington. Like if I have to live in my own pretty condo, I won't take that job, I will join that business and not waste someone else's opportunity and also as a way of paying back for what I have been taking from the business. And here she wastes money like water. Imagine 300,000 plus dollars worth of luxury bags thrown around on floors in your house and casually spoiled with some doodling with no remorse because that's chump change for you. It was clear dad always loved her, if she couldn't show affection the way some children do which is fine, atleast do show gratitude, with her entitlement she atleast realizes now and does it, duh.

Okay so sang su will never grow up to at act like an adult. If you revieved a voice note atleast hear it, if not atleast let your friend finish his convo but no.

Then GP, so like you wanna tell him truth then just shoot it out instead of adding lengthy prologues ( what is the word for it for conversations? ), and just scream out it was a lie, nothing happened, but then unnecessary silences and self torture are the main themes of this show.

Okay so the restaurant convo between mk and gp, so like, look who is telling gp he is still immature, someone who just 2 days back was hopping and stomping around like a 4yr old kid throwing tantrums threatening people because her bf broke up, I mean gp is freaking immature but look that coming from the mouth of someone who just till 2 days back were doing massive childlike dramas, 'sunbae date me, sunbae love me, sunbae what will happen to your career, sunbae you never loved me from start so I don't care, still date me, sunbae sy's career will be damaged', or visiting sy with her threats and not to forget her insulting dinner dates with sy and laying out of entire plan to date ss. Atleast one good thing sy did was kissing ss while he was in relationship with mk so that she does get back for her going around needling and stepping on people and for her extensively planning schemes to remove competition to date guy of choice.

I will always blame mk as a party for what sy did. If she had accepted the breakup and didn't go around threatening everyone constantly with her power and emotional blackmailing, specially her visit to sy after which this happened prolly sy might not have gone full cray. It's not that sy isn't crazy but mk also pressed her explode buttons and it didn't happen in a day, she was building upto it for days.

Then airport car scene, again mk playing victim by telling sang su, MK : "I'm entitled to this much, right? After everything you've done." . Like seriously? After break up mk literally draged ss through hell by refusing to break up, through threats, she gave him so much mental stress that he could have gone bald, she caused him so much anxiety. And here she is still guilt tripping him, it's really interesting how after break up she always tries to make him feel guilty, have some conscience and also apologize to him for the hell you put him through. Any real human in sang su's position would have suffered a mental breakdown over what mk was doing.

Inside airport when mk is walking she stops midway and had this weird expression on face, I was thinking, oh so now she will not go to washington and will secretly fly to some isolated island and will vanish off face of earth, but then she keeps walking on and I was like thanks for saving from more drama.

Jh is so shameless trying to approach her again, he is not even realizing his words, 'did you also sleep with her', destroyed her character across several bank branches and this ahole still has guts to visit the bank branch and on top of it the rude and authoritative way in which he asks ss about her. And of all things, trying to meet her at same branch where he abused her. 

Thankyou GP using your awesome social skills to find out her family left for Tongyeong, I had thought they have moved to paris at the very least. Like naturally they would move back to hometown.

As of sy's parents less said the better, I fault her parents a lot for effing up her head. Firstly, I can't with her mom cheating, then both her parents hid it from her. I think people assumed she just saw him at door and made up things, I think the family interacted even after that and we know her restaurant convo with dad and it was clear her father himself took up this image to protect his family. Did you guys notice what shi.tty writing it was in the sense that writers screwed up the cheating victim lady twice, so her mom cheated on with that lady's husband and then as if it's not enough her dad used her the same cheating victim lady to project her as a person who he cheated with on his wife to protect his family staining that lady's character. Like till date sy thought that victim lady is her father's mistress, this is called double whammy for cheated ahjumma. Back to her parents, if parents will go around cheating like this and then hiding this way, whatelse will it do to your kids? Her parents are still at fault and specially her dad who never came out clean to her. Her parents can't be excused for their actions and they have a hand in turning her into such a complicated person. But then this plotline is also unrealistic just like her and gp cheating act.

Sang su needs to be blamed for still hanging onto her when she abandoned him so ruthlessly after all his care post bank drama. If a man is standing by you despite you sleeping with his friend while you are dating someone else, what else do you need. If from here she leads him on by kissing him or anything else he shares the fault as he is still running after her knowing her nature.

In their playground date when they mention hide and seek, knew it will be back to cryptic talk and about her running away. So where does sy further plans to run off to? Maybe join Mars exploration mission.

And when sy goes like, 'A game of hide-and-seek was enough to make us happy. I was always the last one to survive. I was never caught. I always made sure to do a good job at whatever I did.'

Yeah finally sy, viewers are glad you are good at something and what a thing to be good at, you must be proud of yourself.

And when ss says, 'I always found everyone in hiding.I never gave up and waited until they all came out.'

It was like sy is a rat going in hiding that he will wait for her to come out.

Their motel convo was too complex and didn't make any sense. Like below.

SY: I'd run away, but you always found me like this. It felt like things might really work out.

SS: Why don't you let it happen, then?

The below para what on earth was she even saying?

SY: Hating you when I wanted to hate you. Dealing with things when it got tough.And staying together…  even when I didn't get you. I didn't have the confidence to do that.

I could only guess she meant these things will happen after dating or marriage, sorry but with this overthinking how is she even alive. She could also think she will go inside the bathroom, slip on waterpool, hit her head on sink and something something etc.

Then I just can't with writers still beating same old horse. Like really? Just freaking grow up everyone.

SY: Let me ask you a question ?Why did you hesitate? Back then, at the hotel. Come to think of it, you never gave me a reason.

He never gave you a reason bxtch as you never allowed him to.

SY: It was for a short moment… but I think I lacked the confidence too. It wasn't for the reasons you said, such as being a high school graduate or just a service rep. I wondered if I could really be responsible for another person. That's where my thoughts ended up.

SY: Who said we were getting married? ----> This is the woman who told him before that hotel date, I don't like undefined relationships.

SS: I think I've always thought way ahead.  That way, I could be prepared for any misfortunes… that might come my way.

When he said misfortunes I was like don't tell me she will hang onto this word and the next second she said it, and I was like how predictable writers have turned her character.

SY: Was I…a misfortune to you? 

One could understand her hardships but at this point she is just a self pitying mess and deserves to be left alone.

What was so special about meaning of word variable that she gets pleasantly stunned. I have seen this word variable being used in similar situations in other shows and the character it's being used for reacting positively. Wonder what actual word means or connotates.

Anyways, the show was very well and realistically written uptil episodes 10-11, specially early episodes, they showed realistic situations and complex ways of thinking then to turn into this trash specially with oyster ahjumma's cheating, .... just can't with.

I find ss to be honest person like when he started to date he did tell mk about lack of interest and later that he doesn't want the relationship to go public. The most honest person was mk's dad who always stated outright what he thought and planned. 

Also Moon ka young always had one murderous stare on her face which I remember mentioning even in episode 2 or 3 which made sy's character look very weird and also the way mky always smiled it made the character look very fake and devious. I think actress' interpretation of character was also not right.

(Sorry for the font, I dunno why it can't be fixed, I can't see font options in the above text box )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ep. 16 was pretty poignant as the leads reminisced on the many missed opportunities.. timing.. regrets.. what-ifs sigh LoL. I kinda liked Su Yeong's cafe.. combining art with coffee, I would've been a regular patron if there was one opened here.

Honestly if they both stopped overthinking we wouldn't have gotten to 16 ep. sheesh LoL. Anyways.. I wanted to drop this at the first ep. as it was so slow ahah and the plot was kinda lost on me. Now it has become my fave dramas ; I know LoL it's weird. I might rewatch this - someday ha-ha. 

Kudos to entire cast for a job well done. They portrayed the array of human emotions realistically and relatably. Guess the ones with good ending and closure were Mi Gyeong, Jong Hyeon. One is gettin' married, the other live out his dream of bein' a police officer. 

Well that's it folks. It was fun while it lasted. Take care. Xo.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shimmery-summer said:

Also Moon ka young always had one murderous stare on her face which I remember mentioning even in episode 2 or 3 which made sy's character look very weird and also the way mky always smiled it made the character look very fake and devious. I think actress' interpretation of character was also not right.

I am totally with you on this. Even I felt Moon Ga Young couldn't do justice to the character. And yes, that smile is so confusing and it's always there. Idk what to make of it. Everything with the show is screwed up, the writing, the direction, the plot - which is missing. So yeah! I guess like us, the actors also just wanted it to end!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hong Banjang said:

I am totally with you on this. Even I felt Moon Ga Young couldn't do justice to the character. And yes, that smile is so confusing and it's always there. Idk what to make of it. Everything with the show is screwed up, the writing, the direction, the plot - which is missing. So yeah! I guess like us, the actors also just wanted it to end!

:(I liked the writing in first half of show, even till ep 12 it wasn't bad, I dunno why but the show gave a sense of calm, and strange realism, I have seen people doing such things. Even in ep 15 when ss visits tongyeong(?) the camera work was awesome (sorry I don't rem spellings of cinemat...y something something), even the background sound of sea waves hitting against the beach was so peaceful though the writing was torturous, imagine writing so bad on this beautiful backdrop. I don't regret watching early episodes as I think writing was mature and there was a lot one could learn from that. Specially the fact that overthinking and self pity only bring pain. 

As of mky's acting, I didn't like her throughout the show except the scenes where she had to act aggressive. I have seen her work before and I didn't have high expectations from her. I think the director or writer were at fault too for not explaining her the role well, or when she was performing this way they didn't give her feedback. At first i thought this is how the character is but slowly it started showing mky is doing a weak job. If we look at korean actors there are 2 types, the seasoned ones like yoo yeon seok, namgoong min and bunch of others who are very detailed and the idol turned actors and many new young (non idol) actors/actresses who are very one dimensional, if they have to act polite they will turn their voices very thin or high pitched or speak with pouty expressions (like that aegyo thing) and if they have to show anger or agression, they show too much aggressiveness as if they would kill the other character, like they can emote only on extremes and don't know anything in between. There was a stark contrast between mky and yys' s acting, she was either smiling and talking in super sweet nasal voice or would wear a murderous expression and speak in a rude tone even in normal scenes, like when on day of her mom's accident he asks her in car to go to dinner with him, and mky responds with a cold stare asking in a cold tone 'why should I?'. Yoo yeon seok on the other hand brought every kind of emotion possible to his character, we knew when he was happy, when he was sad, when he felt tortured by mk, everything was expressed in detail. Sy on the other hand looked like she just graduated from some secret school of assassins who are trained to kill. I hope next time when directors cast actresses in such complex roles they pick someone with right skills, mky 98pc time made sy look very punchable, more unlikeable than she was. 

I am sorry I took so much of your time.

• Like 3

What can I say?  It’s more of the same in Ep16.

There’s a time jump.  4 years.  In a nutshell, the only person who moved on (and found happiness with no regrets) is MK.  Surprise surprise.  Yes the person who said her goodbyes well.  Sorted the relationships out and didn’t run away or utilize weird tactics like sleeping with someone else to avoid face to face confrontation or work through a break up.  <_<  The rest were left in those 4 years wondering “what if”.  And stayed stuck in limbo even though they tried to make in roads to just move on.  I don’t care how the writer tried to sugarcoat this, it was not written well and all I could see was people still trying to fake happiness or pretend that they are wistful but dig a little deeper and they are still living in the past so much so that they cannot fully enjoy the present.  There’s a lesson here to end relationships well.  Ghosting is NOT advisable.

Summary

- Ma and Bae - the other bank office couple get married.

- Manager with the scandal retired.  Talked about doing housework so maybe he got back together with his wife?  Not sure.

- Deputy Manager Noh is now the Branch Manager and he’s still happy in his marriage

- Older lady bank colleague has her 3rd baby.  She’s the only one who knows where SY is and kept in touch with her during the 4 years.

- SeokHyeon finally manages to sell his marital home.  I think he’s still moping about his gf.  I can’t be sure, I fast forwarded some bits.

- GP is back as friends with SS.  He’s still at the YoungPo branch.  He bumps into MK at Ma/Bae wedding and he’s still stuck in the past.  Who’s fault is that?  <_<

- JH passed his exams.  He is now a policeman.  Living in an apartment overlooking Han River?   They have a chance “meeting” when he’s a cop directing traffic and she walks by.  She sees him and walks by (yes, no hi or goodbye, she just sees that he’s achieved his dream).  He catches sight of her, tears up and remembers he promised to salute her and he does (how is it everyone else remembers everything about her but SY chooses to conveniently forget important details about them?).  He still wears the watch she gave him, refusing to change it even though it’s got a cracked face.  

- SS has been promoted as Assistant Manager at another branch.  YeonNam?  Just so happens its also the branch closest to where SY is situated.

- MK is working at HQ after her stint in Washington.  She’s about to get married so of the 4 I would say she’s miles ahead headspace wise.  Yes she may think back occasionally about the past, but she’s clearly living her best life in the present because she’s put the past to bed.

- SY opened a painting cafe called “Future Happiness”.  She still has the plant and so does SS.  They have chance meetings AGAIN.  And do their usual verbal dance around with vagaries and wax philosophical (but I’m not buying it).  Ending is open I think?  There’s no talk about being together, no future plans, just trying hard to find a way forward ploughing through the mess left from SY’s decisions.  It’s still all about her.  

And would you believe she forgot, yes she forgot, about her promise to have pork cutlets with SS at his University.  He had to bring it up to her?  Just goes to show how disingenuous she is.  <_< 

SS - why didn’t you call me back?

SY - why didn’t you come looking for me? You said you could always find me.  (Why is it all about her?  He asks her a reasonable question and she fires back accusing him of not looking for her? It’s always someone else’s fault)

SS - I did look for you. I went back to TongYeong a week after we parted.  But TongYeong was bigger than I thought.  Now can you tell me why you did that?  (Why does he always have to prove he is worthy of her answer?  She expects him to grovel and he just accedes.  It’s like he’s a doormat.  So painful to watch)

SY - because there was no more give.  And no more to receive.  (Huh?  Spoken from your end maybe?  Selfish to the core.  In case you have forgotten, there are always 2 people in any relationship, just because you have nothing more to give and you think the other person has nothing more to offer you doesn’t mean you decide unilaterally to end it).  
SY - have you ever wondered how things would’ve been different if you made a different decision? (I can’t believe she’s still fishing.  What did YOU do wrong?  You first because then it would make me feel better to say my piece)

SS - whoever was deeper in love has no lingering thoughts like that.  Only the one who ran away has regrets.  (You said it champion.  You’re the one who tried.  You stayed to try to fix your decisions.  Yes you hesitated, but you apologized.  At every juncture, you tried to make it work.  SY just threw tantrums and ran away.  She didn’t try AT ALL.)

SY - I remember you bawling because you liked me so much. (There she goes again.  Putting him down.  You were head over heels over me.  I was this unattainable star.)

SS - what?  I never did that!  I never went that far.  After you left, there was a time where I wondered every day.  
(then the pair of them go through the what ifs…but as usual, SS has to look desperate first before SY opens up and gives her side.  And then they expand it by looking into the future with what ifs eg they would’ve gotten married, had kids, fought occasionally…)

SY - …and that could’ve eventually ended in a divorce.  (Ms Sandcastle wrecker is at it again)

SS - you always imagine the worst.  There’s also a possibility that we could’ve made up and ended up living happily ever after.

SY - but even in our imaginations, it’s nothing special. 
SS - isn’t that what love is?  Two people going through every day life together? (Yes SS it is.  SY has a delusional expectation of what love is.  She’s never accepted the ordinariness of true love.  It’s lived in the mundane.  But it’s beautiful).

They face each other and then SS’s voiceover and we get flashbacks

“we were once a part of each other’s lives.  We fell for each other.  Our hearts skipped for each other.  We were foolish.  All the moments that we regretted made us long for each other more. During those times, were we (SY’s voice now) actually in love? (SS’s voice) Or blinded by the interest?”

Back to the 2 of them near the top of the hill

SY - what did you forget today?  You said this was the Hill of Oblivion.  So I wondered what you forgot today? 
SS - Nothing. Absolutely nothing. 
They exchange dewy looks, smiles of acknowledgment and continue up the hill together towards pork cutlets.  (END)

Having walked up this Hill Oblivion with them, I have to say emphatically yes, I want to forget the last 16-17hrs spent on this drama.  

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Shimmery-summer said:

What was so special about meaning of word variable that she gets pleasantly stunned. I have seen this word variable being used in similar situations in other shows and the character it's being used for reacting positively. Wonder what actual word means or connotates.

I knew you would notice that!  In fact I had written up something on this yesterday after @nrllee talked about "wanting to laugh" about that line.  But I didn't post it, as i didn't want to again whine about the translation work.  Gosh, there were so many lines that got murdered in the last 2 episodes in the translations, I can cry...  Anyway, here is what I had typed up.

22 hours ago, nrllee said:

SY - was I a misfortune to you?  (Why is it still all about you?)

SS - No.  just a variable.  (I wanted to laugh out loud here.)

(She leans over to kiss him)

SY - something like this is a real variable isn’t it?  

If that looked weird and kinda funny, you are not alone.

But that is not what he said.  Yes, the word "byeonsu" (변수) gets the meaning "variable" in the dictionaries (as a noun), and it is also used for "variable" in math and science in Korean.  But what is meant is a "varying thing," for which we actually don't use the word "variable" in English.  That is from where the problem originates.

The noun "variable" is used generally only in a scientific sense in English, but it is used in other contexts also in Korean.  "You are byeonsu" would be understood in Korean as "you are inconsistent" (or "capricious", "unpredictable", even "unsettling", "unstable") etc.  The a less-accepted word "changeful" in English would be the most correct translation, I think.

But I think nobody would say "you are a variable" in English to imply "you change from time to time".

I would have translated those lines as,

SY - "Was I some sort of... misfortune for you?"
SS - "No.  You were inconsistent"
SY - "Would going that far... be inconsistent enough?"  (after kissing him suddenly)

Again, this is not the first time I have seen "variable" used for this word.  The drama writers seem to like this word "byeonsu" and use it, not so infrequently.  The translators invariably select the word "variable" for it, as though they checked the dictionary and thoughtlessly copied it in too.  It would often make no sense and make the line look weird.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

@jayakris if you get the time, can you let us know if they translated the voiceover rightly (because that’s the concluding statement for the drama and I feel that it’s important)?  It just sounds like we’ve lost something in translation because I can’t make sense of the English subs.

“we were once a part of each other’s lives.  We fell for each other.  Our hearts skipped for each other.  We were foolish.  All the moments that we regretted made us long for each other more. During those times, were we (SY’s voice now) actually in love? (SS’s voice) Or blinded by the interest?

I think I can get the gist of the first few lines but this line (which is also the title of the drama), is harder to make sense of

During those times, were we (SY’s voice now) actually in love? (SS’s voice) Or blinded by the interest?

• Like 1

• ferily changed the title to [Drama 2022/2023] The Interest of Love/Understanding of Love, 사랑의 이해
2 hours ago, nrllee said:

@jayakris if you get the time, can you let us know if they translated the voiceover rightly (because that’s the concluding statement for the drama and I feel that it’s important)?  It just sounds like we’ve lost something in translation because I can’t make sense of the English subs.

“we were once a part of each other’s lives.  We fell for each other.  Our hearts skipped for each other.  We were foolish.  All the moments that we regretted made us long for each other more. During those times, were we (SY’s voice now) actually in love? (SS’s voice) Or blinded by the interest?

I think I can get the gist of the first few lines but this line (which is also the title of the drama), is harder to make sense of

"During those times, were we actually in love? Or blinded by the interest?"

I was hoping you wouldn't ask :) ... There are some complications here.

Th translation is fine at first but the ending part is a total mess like you felt.  My translation would be: "We were once in each other's lives.  We fell for each other.  Our hearts skipped for each other. We were foolish. And we regretted it.  All those moments only led to longing for each other.  In all those instances, were we loving, or figuring out each other?"

Now, the complications -

The reason why the subbers said "all those moments we regretted made us long" was probably because of the way SS said 후회했다 (huhoihaessda - regretted).  Though not very clear to hear, he said it like 후회했던 (huhoihaessdeon), which would normally connect it to what follows.  That is why they had it as "all the moments we regretted made us long", so I won't blame them.  I checked Netflix' Korean script and it showed only huhoihaessda, as a separate sentence, with the previous phrase on foolishness being possibly connected to it.  That is why I split it above.  I think it makes a bit more sense too.

The more problematic part is the ending where SS says "이해한 걸까?" (ihaehan geolkka?).  The verb there is  이해하다  (ihehada).  That means "to understand", "to show understanding", "to figure out" etc.  I am sure the subbers would also translate only to something like that in the normal case.   The reason why they murdered the line is actually the title of the drama which is enigmatic.  The name is 사랑의 이해 (sarangui ihae) which the Drama itself translated in a weird way as "Interest of Love" which I guess many of us never understood :) ...  That is because the word 이해 (ihae) has two meanings, coming from two Chinese words.  One is from the Chinese 理解 which I believe means "understanding, appreciation".  That is probably the more common meaning.  But there is also a second 이해 which comes from 利害 in Chinese and refers to profits/losses and thus "personal interest".   The drama writer intended the noun form in the drama title to be actually the second one (though Koreans might feel the other meaning too).  Really, the other meaning of "understanding" is more used in verb form than in noun form anyway. So it was all a bit of a play on words.  That is where the curious English title came from.  There they made it clear that the writer meant the second meaning.

Now, to my understanding that second meaning of "personal interest" is only used in noun form, whereas the former ihae is used both for "understanding/knowledge" in noun form and the verb "show (or gain) an understanding" by tacking on the "hada" at the end.  I think "ihaehada" actually cannot mean anything but "show/gain understanding". 

The subbers must have thought that the drama would want the title's word "interest" to come in somehow in the last line, like in the Korean version.  So they took the last sentence and made it into all kinds of things that were never said!  "blinded by the interest"???  Nothing at all was said about any "blinding" in what he said. They were doing acrobatics to somehow bring in the word "interest" there, assuming the drama would want it that way.  In Korean, the drama only wanted the words "sarang" and "ihae" there and it didn't matter if it matched the "ihae" in the title where it actually meant something different.   Hope you see what I am trying to explain.  It is a bit complicated.

Once again, if there are any native Koreans here who can comment, that would be great.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1