[Mainland Chinese Drama 2023] Nothing But You 爱情而已

SC2019

capture.webp

Details:

Chinese title:  爱情而已 | Ai Qing Er Yi
English title: Nothing But You

Genre: : Romance

Director: Chen Chang

Screenwriter: Zhang Ying Ji (the same one who brought us Nothing But 30)
Episodes: 38

Broadcast Date: Mar 27, 2023 - Apr 12, 2023

Network: Tencent

Cast:

Main Cast
Wu Lei as Song Sanchuan
Zhou Yu Tong as Liang Youan

Supporting Cast
Jiang Pei Yao as Luo Nian
Zhu Yong Teng as Jiang Jie
Zhang Tao as Zhang Yan
Xia Hao Ran (夏浩然) as Jiang Jiaojiao
Ma Fan Ding as Liang Tao
Li Qing as Chen Zhe
Ma Bo Quan as Dai Yi
Gao Ming Chen as Jin Yi
Tu Song Yan as An Cong
Guo Ke Yu as Chen Ke
Chai Jun Zhe as Xu Tan

Synopsis:

Liang You An, a professional elite who has entered a bottleneck period in her life, and Song San Chuan, an athlete who is used to sitting on the bench, joins a grass tennis club by fate. One of them is a club manager who has changed her career midway, and the other is a badminton-to-tennis athlete. The two of them and their teammates overcome difficulties and work together to build an amazing professional club. During this process, Liang You An and Song San Chuan gradually develop love, and also face conflicts from ideas and experiences. However, the club continues to develop. They surpass themselves, strengthen their trust while meeting challenging times, and gain career growth and a beautiful love.

Cr dramawiki| MDL

**Please use spoiler tags for those who have not seen the episodes yet**

Preview:

RULES of SOOMPI
Don't post any requests for subs! Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images. Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately. Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam. Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, YouTube, etc. should be reported to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.  PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE!

For any Issues and Abuse
Please report to SoompiSupport

• Like 1

• SC2019 changed the title to [Upcoming Mainland Chinese Drama] Nothing But Love 爱情而已 starring Leo Wu & Zhou Yu Tong
  • 4 weeks later...

I just saw this as I was scrolling down the list of dramas and Leo Wu's name caught my eye.

He acted so well in Changge Xing! I felt that it was an injustice that the age gap was a deterrent to the romance.  

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I saw a clip and BTS of this drama and I don't feel the chemistry of the leads yet.

I'm hoping for a longer trailer which usually comes out a few weeks before it airs.

So far I am still waiting patiently for this due to Leo Wu.

I'm ok with the female lead. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElleSor said:

I saw a clip and BTS of this drama and I don't feel the chemistry of the leads yet.

I'm hoping for a longer trailer which usually comes out a few weeks before it airs.

So far I am still waiting patiently for this due to Leo Wu.

I'm ok with the female lead. 

Hi, and from what I've seen I regret to agree. 

• Like 1

• SC2019 changed the title to [Upcoming Mainland Chinese Drama] Nothing But You 爱情而已 starring Leo Wu & Zhou Yu Tong
  • SC2019 changed the title to [Upcoming Mainland Chinese Drama] Nothing But You 爱情而已, premieres March 27, starring Leo Wu & Zhou Yu Tong

Watched 2 ep. and I love it so far, moreso than "Road Home" honestly ahah. Though I still adore Jing Bo Ran eheh~

Chuan , An are kinda similar.. both hardworking and faces discrimination. Chuan is also a very upstanding young man which is admirable. 

Refreshing to see Leo in contemporary clothes LoL! He has a very buff bod oh my oh oh my.. 

Gettin' "Falling Into You" vibes.. the drama that has Wang An Yu in a May-Dec pairing as well and it also centers round sports.

I'm currently on episode 3 and loving this show. Liang You An is such an understandable character.

Spoiler

It's sad to see that she's trying to move places within her work place but her boss wont let her go :rage:  Song San Chuan may seem mean to her but he definitely caught feelings for her in episode 1 after running that race. Can't wait to see more.

Edited by Kehinde
Just wanted to put the comment in spoilers in case some people haven't seen it already

Ok, so I'm up to date with this drama, and sad to say I'm not feeling the chemistry between the leads.

Or is the drama a bit on the slow side? 

Or is it just me?

Anyway, I am still going to watch this optimistically. 

@Latte_Anyday I haven't started watching officially but have seen trailers and I find Wu Lei such a baby-face, as compared with his stern role in his previous costume drama. I am a little conflicted about it...haha

Oh, the storyline in the other drama you mentioned is not for everyone, but boy, can JBR kiss and he has such intense looks, omo, he takes my breath away.

• SC2019 changed the title to [Current Mainland Chinese Drama] Nothing But You 爱情而已, premiered March 27, starring Leo Wu & Zhou Yu Tong

@SC2019

Yup Jing Bo Ran can have that effect on ya so I totally relate ha-ha! I have a crush on him ever since he did the movie version of "Love O20". I still think it's due to Tan Song Yun that make their pairing weak? She is really bad at intimacy LoL. It ruined their dynamic for me and reason why I drop it. Dumb excuse but hey whatever LoL. Also the drama I felt tried hard to emulate "You Are My Glory" in some way.. but failed (shrug) just my opinion.

I've watched all 16 ep. of "Nothing But You" already and it reminds me of the K-Drama "The Racquet Boys". Wu Lei looks more manly in costume period dramas. Here in contemporary setting he looks his age and yes very boyish LoL. There's very few jie-jie/xiao di cp c-dramas that I truly enjoy (this one bein' one of them) so I am keen to see what happens next. Also Wu Lei's first bed scene eheheh~

• Like 1

I just started watching.  I took me so long to come onboard, bcos I don't usually favour these 2 stars.

On 4/3/2023 at 5:00 PM, africandramalover said:

The only downside to this drama is the terrible hair some characters have... I'm on episode 3, and I want to take the main lead and the coach at the badminton club to the barber. ESPECIALLY THE COACH!! OMG! Why hasn't he gone for a shave??!!

@africandramalover  I agree with u on the "terrible hair styles" some of the characters have - especially the Coach!  :lol:    I'll add one more point i.e. their Names are not too "lovable" either.

I just finished Ep 6.  My general opinion is : "The Pace is too Slow".   But I have a Strong Feelings that this will change from Ep 7 onwards.  

Below are my opinions, ep by ep.  Ok @Kehinde  I will Hide them.:blush:

Spoiler

Ep 1:

1) Song San Chuan (Wu Lei) is so cute with the Cartoon Head-Gear.  Cannot blame him for refusing to wear it.  It is so "sissy" especially with the "Bow" in front, and the balloons at the back.

2) Another cute scene is when he tried to escape from the 2 Middle-Aged Female Marathon runners.

3) The ending scene: Where the FL Liang You An gave the Money to ML, Song San Chuan.  I believe in real life, one would not be so easily placated.

Ep 2:

1) Liang YA is having the same old Plot-Problem of a Selfish Boss standing in the way of her Career-Progress.  Just like the drama "Master Of My Own" (Tan Song Yan & Lin Geng Xin).

Ep 3:

Is ok.   Song San Chuan is beginning to appreciate Liang You An.

Ep 4 & 5:  Are quite Bland.  I basically Skim through Ep 5.

Ep 6:

The man pursuing FL Liang YA is so Masochistic and Immature.

When he is pursuing, he is Full of Compliments for  Liang.  When he is Rejected, he starts Spitting Out Spiteful Lies.  So typical of most people, Male or Female - Cowards!

Liang YA's boss issued an order for her to sign up Jin Yi.  And because of that Jin Yi is not supposed to lose in any of his competition matches.  Faced with this Order, what will she do?   I think it is obvious.

For me, Song San Chuan earnestly starts to Fall-In-Love with Liang YA in Ep 6.  I have yet to start Ep 7.  I am very sure, Song San Chuan will win the Match against his Nemesis, Jin Yi.   And Liang You An  will defy his Boss and finally leave him to pursue her Ambitions and Ideals.

So see you all again after I have watched Ep 7.

Where May-December Love Drama is concerned, "Find Yourself"  is still the most Enjoyable for me.

General Opinions:

This drama shows a brisk professional plot rhythm.  The visibility of the plot is high.  The emotional development between the 2 leads is Not Short or   "Sugar-Sprinkled".  

On the contrary, it integrates the Three Elements of Sports, Workplace and Ideals.

For Liang You An, the appearance of Song San Chuan is like giving her the Courage to start again.

For Song San Chuan, Liang You An is a Good Medicine to encourage him to overcome his Psychological Shadow and untie his Knots.

The characters are very real.

Song San Chuan is in his 20's, full of Enthusiasm but Extremely Confused.

Liang You An has the Capabilities but lacks the Courage to start all over again.  

It reflects the age anxiety of athletes.  And the dilemma of Women in the Workplace.   

The moods and thoughts of each Age Group.

• Like 2

@hush puppy You wrote a very good post. I'm currently watching episode 16 and I really the pace of it.

Ep. 15 Spoilers:

Spoiler

I like how they aren't being rushed into a relationship and even tho SSC confessed his feelings for LYA, she was very mature in telling him that they need to focus on their careers first before trying to be in a relationship. Plus LYA, I think to figure out her feelings for CCS.

• Love 1

Hi  @Kehinde, I am still a bit bothered by the slow, leisurely pace.   But the story is there to be enjoyed.    So under this scenario, I manage to reach Ep 12.  Sometimes I just "Skip" through  :lol: 

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fdingyue.ws.126.net%2F2023%2F0322%2F13785137j00rrwunp00l2c000p300chm.jpg&thumbnail=660x2147483647&quality=80&type=jpg

My comments ep by ep:

Spoiler

Ep 7:

1) Jin Yi is a sore loser.  To "fake" a twisted ankle when he knows that he is Losing the match to Song San Chuan.  And then to blame it all on the Sponsor's Sport Shoe.  Just like Liang You An's suitor who works in Singapore.  (There are a lot of Cowards in this world).

2) The way LYA had to leave the company, is a Reminder to all career-women, to Never Neglect Our Health for Work.  No matter how ambitious or how important our Career is to us.  Most Employers or Companies have Zero Gratitude once we are of no more use to them.

Ep 9:

1) I am disappointed when Liang You An agreed to help his Ex-Boss manage the Tennis Club.  To "Establish" a Club from scratch is already tough enough.  But to "Rescue" one from "Mismanagement" and long-time "Neglect" is "Torture".

2) She should have got a New Job all by herself.  Will be more Satisfying.  No doubt,  it is the Ex-Boss who seeks her help.   So what?  Knowing his Character, do you think he will tell others that?

3) I don't like LYA's Father and Step Sis (Liang Tao).  It will be better for her to cut ties with them.

Ep 10:

1) And I don't like the Sub-Plot which Links Liang Tao to the Son of LYA's ex-boss.  So very unnecessary and unimaginative.

Ep 11:

Kinda Dull for me

Ep 12:

1) I like the "Musical Chairs".  I knew SSC will win it.

2) And love how LYA and SSC "Honeyed Up"  the Finance Manager.  And then abandon her once they managed to get their Allocated Funds. :lol:

3) But I don't like the "Drunk Scene".  Too predictable and unimaginative.

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fdingyue.ws.126.net%2F2023%2F0322%2F605ace6bj00rrwunk0023c000vu00oem.jpg&thumbnail=660x2147483647&quality=80&type=jpg

My General Opinions On The Overall Plot thus far:

Would you all agree if I say: "Love" is not a puzzle.  We cannot expect "Love" to be our Salvation.  We have to be an Independent Person first.  Then only can we give Happiness to others.

So I like it that the Relationship between the Hero and the Heroine in "Nothing But You" is like this.

Both of them have their Own Career Plans and a Clear Outlook on Life and Love.  They are not just "Must Love" people.

The attitude of the heroine Liang You An in this drama is:   "Love can be met but not sought.  Her Life will not bet on the Arrival of Love".

That should be the Aspirations of Modern Women.

At the beginning, LYA's kindness to SSC is based on the Strength of the Hero himself.  She first believes in Her Own Vision.  Then believes in the Hero. 

The way she encourages the ML, Song San Chuan is not the meaningless encouragement that we see a lot in other Idol Dramas.  But it starts from her Own Ability and provides Song San Chuan with a little bit of training convenience.  So that he can see the confidence in himself.

SSC did not break thro his Inner Demons for the sake of love.  He heals himself day by day.  But he just lacks an opportunity.

The emergence of LYA just happened to give him an opportunity to change, the opportunity to love.

Both the Heroine and Hero feel ambiguous, from Acquaintance to Friendship.  Which is entirely driven by what happened between them.  Rather than the blind influence of the hormonal impulse of Love At First Sight.

In a Nutshell, it is a Matured Love Story.

• Like 2