[Drama 2022] A Thousand Won Lawyer,천원짜리 변호사

larus

Ep.s 7 & 8: Wow. 

P.S.: 1. Though I can't help but crib LJY could've just whatsapped the entire doc in a min. telling CJH on the phone the stranger she'd bumped into, and made a dash for it.

2. Did dad really jump or was he thrown overboard?  

3. Is Min Hyeok really such a nice dumb guy or is he just acting dumb? After all, he got hold of the number plate which led CJH to his dad as recipient of CEO's slush fund (making dad the fall guy - no pun intended). And CEO was being represented by MH's dad's partner law firm (Baek Law Firm). And the 'file guy' and 'phone guy' are the same guy, who was leaving Baek Law Firm via elevator when he collided with LJY! So yeah, I think MH and his dad are villains (and maybe so is the cute grandpa Baek).  

4. So CJH is technically LJY's first client (by paying 1000 won fee) and co-legal partner who took up her murder case to solve it (as well as his dad's). And he'll be doing this legal aid stuff for 10 years, like her original plan was? Well, he looks like he's in total nervous breakdown Dr. Jekyll Mr. Hyde mode OR is this new colorful avatar a disguise for his 'batman' crusade? Is he going to turn robotic again when he finds the real killers/villains?

5. ML acts/cries really very well. 

6. I guess this backstory rules out a love track between ML and FL...... 

7. The happy/crazy trailer for Ep.9 is jarring after 2 back-to-back tearjerker episodes! 

• Like 3

Loving every single episode and each one just get better and bette. Episode 7 and 8 are super epic with the backstory of Cheon Ji Hoon. The heart wrenching romance - oh! SOOOOOO sweet but so heart breaking.  It is one of those romance that are very subtle but burn a very very deep unforgettable impression in your mind.  Namkoong Min has always been known for his superb acting skills and he of course really nailed every bit of the emotional ride he gave us. LOVE!! This is a MUST WATCH drama!

On 10/15/2022 at 7:38 AM, backstreetboysfan said:

Here are the ratings for episode 7! :)

“The Golden Spoon” Earns Its Highest Friday Ratings Yet; “One Dollar Lawyer” Is Most-Watched Show Of The Week Among Young Viewers

Meanwhile, SBS’s “One Dollar Lawyer” was the most-watched program to air on any channel on Friday, climbing to an average nationwide rating of 14.5 percent for the night. The drama was also the most-watched show of the entire week among the key demographic of viewers ages 20 to 49, with whom it scored an average rating of 5.3 percent.

“The Golden Spoon” Earns Its Highest Friday Ratings Yet; “One Dollar Lawyer” Is Most-Watched Show Of The Week Among Young Viewers | Soompi

ONE DOLLAR LAWYER ROCKS! NAMKOONG MIN IS SIMPLY THE BEST!  

Edited by gm4queen
Please don't quote images! Thanks!

This show is so good. I absolutely adore JY and after watching episode 8, it made me cry so much :tears: Poor JH has been through so much in 2 years. I just love that the one dollar lawyer was initially her idea and that JH is continuing her work in her honor while secretly trying to find who killed her and his father. .What makes all this worse is that JY was by his side the entire time he was grieving his father and everyone else was keeping distance from since he was going against the higher ups calls. I thought the way they showed JH and JY's relationship was really nice, it was the perfect amount. They were smitten with each other since the first time they met. She was the one that really changed him and gave him a different point of view.

4 hours ago, noor1 said:

6. I guess this backstory rules out a love track between ML and FL...... 

I think this was ruled out after the lady prosecutor asked Baek grand daughter if she was interested in JH and denied it. The lady prosecutor then said good and she had reason. I'm glad there will be no romance cause clearly JH is not over JY's death by still running her lawyer business and wearing her engagement ring.

• Like 2

Here are the ratings for episode 8! :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“One Dollar Lawyer” Ratings Soar To New All-Time High As “The Queen’s Umbrella” Premieres At No. 1

Meanwhile, SBS’s “One Dollar Lawyer” achieved its highest viewership ratings to date last night. The hit drama starring Namgoong Min earned an average nationwide rating of 15.0 percent, making it the most-watched miniseries of the entire week—and setting a new personal record for the show.

“One Dollar Lawyer” Ratings Soar To New All-Time High As “The Queen’s Umbrella” Premieres At No. 1 | Soompi

• Like 1

12 hours ago, brenda08 said:

I think this was ruled out after the lady prosecutor asked Baek grand daughter if she was interested in JH and denied it. The lady prosecutor then said good and she had reason. I'm glad there will be no romance cause clearly JH is not over JY's death by still running her lawyer business and wearing her engagement ring.

The thing is, CJH is not himself in the present, this happy-go-lucky crazy avatar is not his 'normal' personality, it's probably a disguise / persona to seem like he's not a threat to anyone while investigating the 2 deaths. 

FL thinks of him as this weird goofball which he isn't.

I want ML and FL to get together romantically by the end and for the series to go on beyond one season. I don't think the robotic CJH was even in love with LJY, he just liked her because she was ballsy and had consoled him when he was practically unapproachable. He didn't do anything for her or with her besides proposing her! Plus, I didn't like her. Taking revenge / justice for her murder is not the same thing as being in love with her. I hope he understands that and moves on with FL (or FL decides to stick with him).   

5 hours ago, noor1 said:

The thing is, CJH is not himself in the present, this happy-go-lucky crazy avatar is not his 'normal' personality, it's probably a disguise / persona to seem like he's not a threat to anyone while investigating the 2 deaths. 

FL thinks of him as this weird goofball which he isn't.

I want ML and FL to get together romantically by the end and for the series to go on beyond one season. I don't think the robotic CJH was even in love with LJY, he just liked her because she was ballsy and had consoled him when he was practically unapproachable. He didn't do anything for her or with her besides proposing her! Plus, I didn't like her. Taking revenge / justice for her murder is not the same thing as being in love with her. I hope he understands that and moves on with FL (or FL decides to stick with him).   

My take:

ML is definitely interested in JH - she does all the little things a girl do whenever  they are interested in a guy :) .  The consciously or unconsciously touching his arms, getting her face very close to him (I know this is a drama but who put their face so close to another person, let alone the opposite gender?), asking about him a lot, etc.. 

I also think JH was definitely in love with JY. The way he looked at her during the scene when they were buying fish, if that is not love spilling out, I don't know what is. 

If NKM stays with his usual preference or practice in his pick of drama, there won't be a season two, he likes taking on new and different role every time, but you never know! 

• Like 2

What is the timeline? I know it was two years between dad's death and fiancé's death. However, how long has it been since the fiancé die / JH started working the law practice. 

Did they ever mention it? Or mentioned how long ago the assistant has known JH, because they met when he was the first client. 

I want a romance between the two leads, mainly because I think they have chemistry. I thought they had it in The Veil too. However, I think this is another drama where they are leads but we won't get a romance between them. So that is disapointing. 

Now the flashbacks explained how he ended up at the law firm, but they didn't really explain the personality shift. He used to be reserved but would fight for justice. Now, he is still fighting for justice but is very extra and out there. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, monalisa said:

I watched without subs. What did CJH say to the killer when they crossed paths? Tks. 

JH: "You've never seen me before. It wasn't you." 

2 hours ago, youactlikeicare said:

What is the timeline? I know it was two years between dad's death and fiancé's death. However, how long has it been since the fiancé die / JH started working the law practice. 

Well, when they first showed the flashback to when he first arrested the CEO, it was 5 years ago . Then they did the 2 years later when JY got killed. So it seems he has been doing this one dollar lawyer thing for 3 years.

2 hours ago, youactlikeicare said:

Now the flashbacks explained how he ended up at the law firm, but they didn't really explain the personality shift. He used to be reserved but would fight for justice. Now, he is still fighting for justice but is very extra and out there. 

It's a façade. When he's back at his apartment, he's back to his very serious self but in front of others, he's a goofball. Maybe its to hide that he is secretly investing JY's death and his father's suicide. JY also told him that she wants others to see him smile since he's a warm person to her. Maybe its a way to honor her. Wearing sunglasses seems to be a way to hid his sadness. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One Dollar Lawyer: Episodes 7-8

by missvictrix

https://www.dramabeans.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/ODL_1.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, the award for most aggressive tonal change within one drama has been awarded to… One Dollar Lawyer! The full backstory of our one dollar lawyer is here, and it’s as rife with tragedy as we thought it would be.

EPISODES 7-8 WEECAP

Much to my surprise we spend all but 30 seconds of this week’s episodes in pure backstory — it’s not only the strongest tonal shift in one drama possibly ever, but it breaks up our drama in the strangest way.

We spent nearly the first half of our 14-episode drama with the non sequitur antics of our wacky lawyer, and then, at the halfway mark, dove into his past. It’s good, it’s tragic, and Namgoong Min’s acting will kill ya. But also, the story isn’t much different from every other legal or melo backstory we’ve seen.

However, here we go! In the present-day storyline, we see Mari drinking herself silly while listening to Prosecutor Na tell the tale of Ji-hoon’s past, and we dive again into our drama within a drama.

Ji-hoon is like a dog with a bone investigating his case, and refuses to give into the pressure. But the CEO of JQ Group is only the beginning — justice won’t be truly served until his slush fund and recipient(s) are identified and dealt with. Ji-hoon investigates, and then the terrible stuff starts to happen.

His one lead — the tail end of license plate digits — points straight to his own father, CANDIDATE KIM YOON-SEOB (Nam Myung-ryul). It’s a horrible moment of recognition, where our solemn Ji-hoon gets even more solemn (if you think it possible), when he recognizes the number.

The thing is, Ji-hoon’s always idolized his father, and he tells him that he dreamt of being a righteous prosecutor like he was — even though Ji-hoon spent most of his childhood missing his always-working father. His fondness for jajangmyeon becomes clear too: Ji-hoon equates it to missing his father.

That theme of missing his father soon packs even more punch, though, when his father jumps from a building and commits suicide right in front of his son. He had been complying with the investigation, and seemed willing to admit the truth… As such, there’s definitely more to the death than his father taking his life out of shame — his father was going to be the scapegoat to hide the others behind the slush fund dealings.

Ji-hoon, not even allowing himself to grieve, commits the next two difficult years of his life to uncovering the corruption around his father and the powerful politicians in his circle. I really feel for Ji-hoon, but can we get a story that gives us even a little something new?

It’s an awful time in Ji-hoon’s life, but there’s one person who keeps popping up around him, and that’s Joo-young. We learn about her through seeing her dealings with Ji-hoon. When the prosecution turned against him and he was blackballed at every turn, she was the one person that stood by his side, forced him to smile, and even laid in the street in the rain with him. You know, as you do when you’ve hit rock bottom in life.

We don’t see much of their romance, but it’s enough that in his misery Ji-hoon proposes marriage to her, and genuinely loves the light of goodness that she is, that we can fill in the blanks.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2022/10/one-dollar-lawyer-episodes-7-8/

• Thanks 3

On 10/21/2022 at 11:41 AM, backstreetboysfan said:

SBS OneDollarLawyer will end with 12 episodes instead of 14 episodes. "We decided to end on 12 ep for fast & high-quality development"

I totally appreciate quality over quantity but as a huge fan of NKM, I am disappointed that the number of episodes is reduced. Especially since it wasn't even 16 to begin with.  I am confident that it will continue to be great though!!

Edited by gm4queen
Please don't quote tweets! Thanks!
  • Blob 1

by lo_ve, October 21, 2022
13 13

SBS Friday-Saturday drama "One Dollar Lawyer" will conclude on an earlier date.

The high-rating drama "One Dollar Lawyer" was originally planned to end with 14 episodes but on October 21st, SBS announced that the series will be shortened to 12 episodes and will officially conclude on November 6th, 2022. 

According to the drama officials, the reason for the shortened episodes is to showcase a rapid and more high-quality development of the story. 

"One Dollar Lawyer" is one of the top dramas that are currently airing. The series has been sweeping the top spot in box office indicators including ratings, OTT rankings, and topics. The last episode that aired achieved its highest rating yet with an average nationwide rating of 15.0 percent.

The ongoing series is led by Namkoong Min, Kim Ji Eun, Choi Dae Hoon, Lee Deok Hwa, Park Jin Woo, and Ha Sung Kwang

Just like what the viewers expected, Namkoong Min's pick in a drama became a hit once again. The drama is loved by the viewers not only because of Namkoong Min but also because of its fun plot. 

For today's broadcast, the drama will air a special episode. The special episode will showcase the highlight scenes from episodes 1 until 9 and it will be hosted by Jang Sung Kyu. The special episode will be in the form of news.

Emnyz_2f.jpg

"One Dollar Lawyer" is about a genius lawyer named Cheon Ji Hun who only asks for a one thousand won fee for his clients. He is one of the most skilled lawyers and he fights against expensive lawyers with rich clients who wish to disobey the law.  

The series is the collaboration work of director Kim Jae Hyun and writers Choi Soo Jin and Choi Chang Hwan.

Source

https://mydramalist.com/article/sbs-drama-one-dollar-lawyer-announces-changes-with-ending-date

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2