Presenting Pachinko & Other Projects

agenth

Excited about Pachinko?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to watch Pachinko (TV adaption) when it airs?

• Yes!!! I watch all Lee Min Ho projects <3!
    • Yes, it sounds interesting! I planned to do so!
    • Yes - this event has made me curious!
    • Maybe - depends on whether or not I have time.
    • No - the story does not interest me.
  2. 2. Have you read the book by Min Jin Lee?

• Yes, before there were plans to adapt the book onto screen.
    • Yes, after I heard about the planned adaption!
    • No, I have no interest.
    • Not yet - but I may put it on my reading list.
  3. 3. Do you like watching dramas adapted from books?

• Yes, it's always nice to see a story adapted from text to visuals ~ Oppa / Unnie here I come!
    • Sometimes - it's not always good to adapt, but not terrible.
    • No, the drama/movie always ruins the story of the original book due to time limits etc.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/13/2022 at 05:11 PM

@agenth I am in the midst of reading Pachinko right now. I just started on the 3rd part of the book, so have about 1/3 left. :glasses:

I'm finding the book super interesting so far, and can't wait to find out how it ends. I'm also excited about the upcoming drama adaptation!
:yay:

I love reading but have had less time for it lately. I have been prioritizing dramas instead.

I like all kinds of books: autobiographies, thrillers, fiction, classics, etc. I have a couple of Nordic noir thrillers waiting to be read, but I will save them for my upcoming vacation.

Thank You Next Read A Book GIF by Yuval Robichek

@syntyche @CarolynH @CallieP @Missprincesa @msdot Thank you so much for putting together this event together with @agenth. And thank you to my @Lmangla sweetie for making sure that this event was on our event roadmap since a year ago! :kiss_wink:

PS. The EOs have decided to re-watch Healer with Ji Chang Wook oppa and Park Min Young.  If anyone wants to join us, do drop by the drama thread here. :glasses:

• Like 6
  • Love 8
  • Blob 4

23 minutes ago, Ameera Ali said:

I am yet to read the book , I waiting for oppa to deliver it to me too

Brilliant @Ameera Ali! :lol:

I have Apple TV+ so I'll be checking this out. But I'm not sure if I'll read the book first or not...we'll see if there's time.

It will be my first Lee Min Ho drama! I'll save @partyon chingu the effort and put this down myself:

Sesame Street Fainting GIF

• Like 2
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1
  • Blob 5

30 minutes ago, the_sweetroad said:

It will be my first Lee Min Ho drama

be ready  :wub: , you will not be the same after your first experience :D

when new fan watch his drama for the first time :mrgreen:

OPPA

CUjLixM.gif

# bewitched 

• Like 1
  • LOL 15
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, balletgoddess said:

I met the author in NYC the year the book was released and got her to sign my book

oooh nice!

how did you like it? what about the casting? 

31 minutes ago, the_sweetroad said:

It will be my first Lee Min Ho drama! I'll save @partyon chingu the effort and put this down myself:

see you in the drama thread then :)

2 minutes ago, Ameera Ali said:

Oppa when new fan watch his drama for the first time :mrgreen:

i didn't know LMH was one of your oppas :D

that FL reminds me a bit of Shin Hye Sun 

and i heard LMH went on audition for this part. I am excited to see how the book translates into video.

• Like 7
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
  • Blob 4

Excitedly waiting for the drama.  Want to read the book but wanted to watch the drama first and then compare the difference.  Miss LMH on the TV screen so can't wait for this drama.  It has top notch directors, production and story from a bestseller.

• Like 7
  • Love 6
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 2

1 hour ago, Ameera Ali said:

Hee hee, I probably shouldn't say this out loud to you but I've never been drawn to any of LMH's dramas.... or to him. I will watch Pachinko for the story itself. :lol:

58 minutes ago, agenth said:

see you in the drama thread then :)

That drama thread has so many posts already for a show that hasn't even aired yet!

58 minutes ago, partyon said:

Okaaayyy....?

@the_sweetroad waiting for you to be bewitched then. :D

ROTFL.

parks and recreation laughing GIF by HULU

@agenth I did appreciate being able to choose some pretty non-committal answers in the poll above. :joy:

• LOL 9

4 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

I have Apple TV+ so I'll be checking this out. But I'm not sure if I'll read the book first or not...we'll see if there's time.

happy for you, hope we could chat further at the drama thread. :D

4 hours ago, Ameera Ali said:

be ready   , you will not be the same after your first experience 

when new fan watch his drama for the first time 

:tounge_wink:

3 hours ago, CallieP said:

Excitedly waiting for the drama.  Want to read the book but wanted to watch the drama first and then compare the difference.  Miss LMH on the TV screen so can't wait for this drama.  It has top notch directors, production and story from a bestseller.

Don't have Apple TV over here, guess will take sometime then.

• Like 6
  • Love 3
  • Blob 4

Thank you @partyon and @agenth for putting the event together!  It looks wonderful.  And thanks to chingu @Lmangla who approached almost a year ago about an event for Pachinko.  Little did we know it would take just about one year from when the filming ended to finally watch it. 

3 hours ago, Thong Thin said:

Don't have Apple TV over here, guess will take sometime then.

Oh no :wut:  We need to find a way for you to watch Pachinko.  

• Like 4
  • Love 7
  • Blob 5

53 minutes ago, CarolynH said:

Thank you @partyon and @agenth for putting the event together!  It looks wonderful.  And thanks to chingu @Lmangla who approached almost a year ago about an event for Pachinko.  Little did we know it would take just about one year from when the filming ended to finally watch it. 

Oh no   We need to find a way for you to watch Pachinko.  

We have been waiting for so long and the time has come for us to gather together and discuss on the thread. 

yes, would appreciate your help. Thanks

:please:

• Like 6
  • Love 4
  • Blob 6

:waves: guys!

Thank you @agenth chingu for tagging me on this event! I am not a dedicated fan of Lee Min Ho but I have watched some of his dramas so i am looking forward for Pachinko to be released! All your good talks about the novel and the author herself are making me curious over the plot! :cutekitty:

And I do have the same problem as @Thong Thin chingu here.. Apple tv is not available in my country! So if anyone is aware of another way to watch it, please let me know! It's much appreciated! Let's have a fun time ahead in Soompi Forums, everyone! :smooches3:

• Like 7
  • Blob 7

*** It's NICE that the novel has been adapted into drama to feature Lee Min Ho. I also feel glad that another novel 'The Days of Abandonment' by Elena Ferrante is also adapted into film to feature Natalie Portman. She's an international bestselling author, too. The book tells the story of a woman who is abandoned by her husband with two young kids to take care of. Trapped inside her high-rise apartment, she is forced to face her fears-- a loss of identity and a possibility of her life never returning to normalcy. And while some adaptations have actually been better than the books, it’s a rare adaptation that can beat the source material. It is fun to watch books that are movies/dramas and see what has changed and what has stayed the same. I’m not claiming that this adaptations including "Pachinko" are wonderful, but the books are certainly great. The best books don't always make the best movies/dramas, though. For me, it’s usually a good gamble for studios to grab them in case the book does well.   :selfie2:

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Blob 5

9 hours ago, Ameera Ali said:

when new fan watch his drama for the first time :mrgreen:

OPPA

# bewitched 

Hahaha #bewitched and #youllneverlookback indeed described my experience with Lee Min Ho. I was not a K-drama fan at all, then came covid and LMH. Now it's a point of no return. :D 

As a newly converted LMH and Korean culture fan (since 2020), this is surely one of things I highly anticipate! I even already blocked my calendar to watch Pachinko, the trailer looked so magnificent already, I can't wait!!!!!

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 12

It’s been in my to read list for a long time but as an Asian woman, I have to be in a specific mindset and mood to read these kind of stories. A lot of time - it brings up lots of emotional and trauma up etc. Like when I read Amy Tan’s novels, I had to take a long long break - especially with her focus on mother-daughter issues etc. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 7

6 minutes ago, JoannaID said:

Hahaha #bewitched and #youllneverlookback indeed described my experience with Lee Min Ho. I was not a K-drama fan at all, then came covid and LMH. Now it's a point of no return.  

As a newly converted LMH and Korean culture fan (since 2020), this is surely one of things I highly anticipate! I even already blocked my calendar to watch Pachinko, the trailer looked so magnificent already, I can't wait!!!!!

Hahaha, I was bewitched by LMH charm since way back 2010.

• Like 2
  • LOL 6
  • Blob 7