Anti-Valentine's Fest

agenth

Love Killed The Drama  

54 members have voted

1. 1. The following dramas should have been without their romance (choose as many as you like)

• Love Feat. Marriage and Divorce - 40s Husband and his StepMum
    • The Devil Judge - Kim Ga On and Yoon Soo Hyun
    • The Last Empress - The Empress and the Emperor
    • What's Wrong with Secretary Kim - Lee YongJoon and Kim Mi So
    • Mirae's Choice / Marry Him If You Dare - Na Mi Rae and Kim Shin OR Park Se Joo
    • Protect the Boss - Cha Ji Heon and Noh Eun Seol
    • Psychopath Diary - Yook Dong Sik and Shim Bo Kyung
    • Oh My Baby - Jang Ha Ri and ... Everyone?
    • Doom At Your Service - Tak Dong Kyung and Myul Mang
    • Chocolate - Lee Kang and Moon Cha Yeong
    • My Love from the Star - Cheon Song Yi and Do Min Joon
    • Jugglers - Nam Chi Won and Jwa Yoon Yi
    • Goblin - Kim Shin and Ji Eun Tak
    • Naeil's Cantabile - Cha Yoo Jin and Seol Nae Il
    • Mine - Young Master and Maid
    • The K2 - Kim Je Ha and Go Anna
    • Sisyphus - Han Tae Sul and Gang Seo Hae
    • My ID is Gangnam Beauty - Kang Mi Rae and Do Kyung Seok
    • Itaewon Class - Park Saeroyi and Jo Yi Seo
    • None of above / Someone else (who?)
  2. 2. The following dramas should have been without their romance (choose as many as you like)

• Hotel Del Luna - Jang Man Wol and Go Chan Sung
    • Memories of the Alhambra - Yoo Jin Woo and Jung Hee Joo
    • Bride of Habaek - Yoon So Ah and Ha Baek
    • Record of Youth - Sa Hye Jun and Ahn Jeong Ha
    • Hwarang - Moo Myung and Kim Ah Ro
    • Warrior Baek Dong Soo - Baek Dong Soo OR Yeo Woon AND Yoo Ji Sun
    • Doctors - Yoo Hye Jung and Hong Ji Hong
    • None of above / Someone else (who?)
    • Teacher Oh Soon Nam (suggested by @maribella)
    • The King Eternal Monarch (suggested by @madmad min)
    • All round wife (suggested by @nohamahamoud2002)
    • I Remember You/Hello, Monster (suggested by @Table122000)
    • Are You Human Too (suggested by @TheQueenReturns)
    • I am Sam (suggested by @flutterby06)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/18/2022 at 02:00 PM

• agenth changed the title to Anti-Valentine's Fest

Chingus, Happy Valentine's Day. :kiss_wink:

ff13d151e354fa9b9b40d2ef83878708.jpg&f=1

Here's a song about picking yourself up after a breakup and loving yourself and your single life. :love:

Lyrics:

Spoiler

SUNMI - 가시나 (Gashina) (English Translation) Lyrics

[Verse 1]
Your cold eyes
They kill me
The fire in your heart that used to grow
Why are there only ashes remaining?
Maybe time is medicine
But I’m getting weaker
The sad pain is getting numb too

[Pre-Chorus]
Fine, I’ll forget you
I’m gonna live like a flower, I’ll be myself
Can't nobody stop me now
No, try me
Everyone wants my scent
But only you don’t know, like a fool
Are you sure you’re not crazy?

[Chorus]
Why are you leaving the pretty me here
And going?
You’re leaving me here
You’re leaving me so easily
You promised we’d go together
But you’re leaving, leaving

[Verse 2]
You’ll see me all sharp
And you’ll bow your head low
My thorns will dig deeper in you
You already bent and twisted me
So don’t act like you’re sorry
But the one who’s really twisted
It’s not me, it’s you

[Pre-Chorus]
Fine, I’ll forget you
I’m gonna live like a flower, I’ll be myself
Can't nobody stop me now
No, try me
Everyone wants my scent
But only you don’t know, like a fool

[Chorus]
And going?
You’re leaving me here
[Bridge]
You have withered, I have bloomed
And it’s over
Even if you wanna come back
You may seem like you’ll be fine without me right now
But no matter how much I think about it

[Chorus]
And going?
You’re leaving me here

• Like 5
  • Shocked 1
  • Love 5
  • Awesome 2

:waves: guys!

Thank you @agenth chingu for tagging me on this one! it's really funny! You guys included a drama of my Daniel oppa in a poll?? :scream: It's double thank you! :D

• The Last Empress was by all means, a waste of time! I will never tend to re-watch it! :sweatingbullets:
  • I am confused the love lines in Oh My Baby. But Jang Nara nailed the lead role as always. :)
  • My Love From the Stars is a great drama. But I wish they casted another manly lead actor for the alien role. That's all! :w00t:
  • And I voted for my Daniel oppa's drama - Jugglers by myself. I don't blame for the romance department. But I wish they casted another feminine lead actress for the secretary role. That's all! ;)
  • I really enjoyed Sisyphus as a fictional drama. But didn't feel anything in between the leads. I guess it's because there was a huge age gap in between the leads?? :huh:

• FLdovPCVkAcvR7Y?format=jpg&name=900x900

:heart: HAPPY VALENTINES :heart:

• Like 6
  • Love 6
  • Awesome 2

*** My favorite genre is rom-com. Although,  I really hate when romance is forced between the leads in dramas when it isn't necessary. I loved Misaeng - (Im Siwan starrer). Sometimes, I need a refresher so, I also love dramas without romance. You can usually watch this kind of dramas from OCN. Their dramas mostly don’t have an element of a love story or romance in the plot. Sometimes, I also want to explore in non-romantic dramas such the like of "Misaeng". This drama will blow your mind and instantly hook you! Since I'm working I watched this drama for Im Siwan & also would like to take a look at the working life. This TvN K-drama shows some reality of the working culture. This seems to be closer to the reality of South Korean office workers.   :blush:

For me, some dramas didn't need the romance :   :heart2beat:

* The Player - Song Seung Hoon

* Terius Behind Me - Su Ji Sup

* Daemul - Kwon Sang Woo

* Hwarang - I agree with your list. If there was going to be a romance it should have been with the king.. and not the "brother sister" thing. I watched this drama for "bromance" - hahaha -

*Save Me -Taecyeon- This is worth-watching. The drama actually felt like a horror movie in most scenes involving the cult.

*Kingdom / Jirisan - Ju Ji Hoon - Period dramas and zombie flicks are both popular genres, but how often do we see a period drama about zombies?

*Tunnel - Choi Jin Hyuk

ngcb2

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqbFAlbaK_YO-pqQmNpo9

• Like 4
  • Love 7

@agenth thank you for tagging me.

The storyline often does not need romance between some couples, for example, the last emperor. I absolutely agree with that. He was a weirdo, and those interactions with his mother?:hushed: In the beginning, I had thought she was his stepmother, and there was hanky panky.

At other times the chemistry is missing between the actor or actress or worse. In Teacher Oh Soon Nam or sort of,  one could see the FL flinched and cringed when the ML touched her hand or hugged her. That was a bad show to my mind, but there were people who loved it.:surprisedwut:

I think the Koreans have a strong culture of  seniority in age and/or status. Jang Nara had carried off being a 20 year old when she was almost 40 and the guy was a lot younger. For him to overcome that cultural barrier was amazing. But I am a hand person and JNR's hands are a dead giveaway, it ruined many scenes for me.

I could not enjoy Gangnam beauty, because I had watched FL as a 30 plus mother earlier and she was 30 plus.  The ML was in his early twenties, and they both played 19 year old freshmen. The 'lack of chemistry' may be due to that big age gap. I agree, they could have chosen a better pairing.:neutral:

• Like 3
  • Love 7

1 hour ago, willenette said:

* The Player - Song Seung Hoon

* Terius Behind Me - Su Ji Sup

* Daemul - Kwon Sang Woo

*Save Me -Taecyeon- This is worth-watching. The drama actually felt like a horror movie in most scenes involving the cult.

*Kingdom / Jirisan - Ju Ji Hoon - Period dramas and zombie flicks are both popular genres, but how often do we see a period drama about zombies?

*Tunnel - Choi Jin Hyuk

These dramas didn't have romance, right? I only saw Save Me and Kingdom and Tunnel. It's a good list for dramas when you aren't in the mood for romance.

2 hours ago, gm4queen said:

Thank you @agenth chingu for tagging me on this one! it's really funny! You guys included a drama of my Daniel oppa in a poll?? :scream: It's double thank you! :D

haha Jugglers wasn't suggested by me. I still like the series :D It's very cute

59 minutes ago, maribella said:

Teacher Oh Soon Nam

thanks for the suggestion. Park Si-Eun / Oh Soon-Nam and Goo Bon-Seung/Kang Doo-Mool are the leads? I haven'T seen this drama before or ever heard about it, so I had no idea.

keep the suggestions coming. i also agree, drama doesn't always need romance. in fact, if the chemistry fails, then the failed romance just takes away from enjoying the drama. 

• Like 4
  • Love 4
  • Blob 2

Happy Valentine’s day, besties :fullofhearts:

Hope you guys are spending the most romantic day of the year with your loved ones :kiss_wink:

Thank you @agenth for tagging me ^_* btw I could not choose many because of I love romance hahaha. Lol

oh ya today is one of my bestie’s birthday too. So romantic! I want to have a birthday on the valentine’s day too! :please: so I gave her pink roses and chocolates ^,^

gtg besties <3

• Like 2
  • Love 5
  • Blob 1

I think sometimes people think that romance is the reason for EVERY drama's existence. But sometimes it just feels forced. (Or there are those dramas that really aren't about romance, but if there is ONE kissing scene in the entire 12-16 episodes--that is ALL you see reposted on social media, with fantasies of the actors getting married in real life. Er...) 

For me, the one with the most forced romance on that list is Alhambra. Not the actress's fault at all--PSH showed up and did as much as she could with the character--but the character wasn't even allowed to participate in the plot. Heck, she wasn't even allowed to watch the game! I can't see how a romance can happen if the characters are only near each other and don't ever get the chance to interact and work together in a common effort? 

• Like 2
  • Love 5
  • Blob 1

3 hours ago, gm4queen said:

My Love From the Stars is a great drama. But I wish they casted another manly lead actor for the alien role. That's all!

I don't mind the OTP <I was more into PHJ there still lol>  but their romance was TOO much on your face, yet it's far better than forced romances the kdramas do now a days without any head or tail <LOTRS and DATS being few last year>

I may be Offending a heck lot by saying this By My choice isnt up there .... So spoiler Tag...:sparklyeyes:

Spoiler

The King Eternal Monarch, IMHO the excess or the Love story itself Pulled the mystery part down. Had it been without the romance portion I would be more happy there. 

• Like 3
  • Love 5
  • Blob 1

For Drama With Unnecessary Romance I Nominate:

I Remember You/Hello, Monster

Starring Jang Nara & Seo In Guk

I love romance in dramas but I feel it was misplaced in this drama and the loveline actually began to take away from the story in the latter half.  The romance increasingly felt forced and shoehorned into the drama. I think this drama would have been much better if the writers had just eliminated the romance altogether and the drama just be an ensemble cast crime/thriller drama. 

Song with a Love Yourself/Empowering Message:

I Am Woman by Emmy Meli:

Happy Valentine's Day, Everyone!:heart:

• Like 3
  • Love 4
  • Blob 1

On 2/13/2022 at 3:03 PM, agenth said:

Love Feat. Marriage and Divorce - 40s Husband and his StepMum

Hide contents

In what world are the scenes between these two accepted. One cannot even argue that 40s husband didn't lead stepmum on. He did like to watch her bath and talk about his childhood feelings after all..

Then again, the drama would have been far less interesting....

WHAT WHAT WHAT?!!!! I just started this drama and here I thought 40's guy was so sweet and cool! So there IS something between him and his swim-buddy stepmom?!

Vomit Puke GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

In other news, I have to say I love My Love From the Star - it's one of my favorite shows. :joy:

Happy day, everyone!

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
  • Blob 1

13 minutes ago, the_sweetroad said:

WHAT WHAT WHAT?!!!! I just started this drama and here I thought 40's guy was so sweet and cool! So there IS something between him and his swim-buddy stepmom?!

Chingu, why do you think we call that drama here on Soompi Forums "The Original Barf Drama"? :D

Many of us even changed our DPs during the drama to Barf Themed DPs like:

DEA4FA2D-0809-4E76-8DB9-580A2924913E.gif

cr. @Ameera Ali

ED015325-7990-4E91-ACCA-F886D184026C.gif

cr. @Ameera Ali

teambarf-1-1-Copy.jpg

cr. @gm4queen

You're gonna lose so many brain cells watching that drama....

• Like 2
  • LOL 6
  • Blob 1

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0OYRzSZ0TdyhfFLQ0tqi

I didn't like the ML with the FL

I had the second lead syndrome lol. I shipped BTOB's Sungjae and the FL but she preferred the other guy (on the right).

That's better :D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnrIlHWk-tG6XgoWVPT60

I think they won best couple, or as @gm4queen can call "best jodi" (à la Indian):D

I watched the series for the first time in the rerun on KBSWORLD back in 2018. I knew about Sungjae and BTOB from it. I like Sungjae's voice very much, hope he does some solo projects.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
  • Blob 2

some of the romances are so stupid that you are actively hoping they will break up. then you feel old as the reast of the thread really likes the OTP whereas you are like "they are stupid! they are toxic!" so you drop the drama but keep an eye to see how it ends... but alas. even when they shouldn't, they will have an open ending where the two stare at each other and might get together.... 

Kristen Wiig No GIF by The Lonely Island

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

Real Love Heart GIF
happy valentines dear friends. A little romance in dramas doesn’t hurt but noooooo to the obviously zero chemistry or forethought to what it adds to the story - then it’s annoying. 

I just watched Ali Wong’s new Netflix special ‘Don Wong’ as a V-day treat (Warning: this comedy show is for mature audience only; not suitable for kids) 

I just finished a longish Cdrama and taking a Kdrama break after watching Happiness. 
Time to catch up on books - so many I need to finish. I’ll probably watch 25-21 or was it 21-25 lol?!? Time for me to sleep. 

• Like 3
  • Love 4
  • Blob 1