[Drama 2023] Doctor Cha , 닥터 차정숙 - Kim Byung Chul, Uhm Jung Hwa

0ly40

I knew this marriage was doomed when I first saw them sleeping in separate bedrooms. I always like Uhm Jung Hwa. First when she was a singer and now as a actress.

Am I the only one thinks that there is something wrong with those "Stairs" in their home. Freaks me out everytime I see them walk up or down those stairs. Where the heck are the railings. I would bet if that home was built in the US that would not be up to code.

• Like 5
  • Blob 1

Here are the ratings for Episode 9 :).

“Doctor Cha” Achieves Its Highest Saturday Ratings Yet

“Doctor Cha” Achieves Its Highest Saturday Ratings Yet

JTBC’s “Doctor Cha” remains as popular as ever!

On May 13, the hit medical comedy starring Uhm Jung Hwa earned its highest viewership ratings to date for a Saturday (when its viewership ratings are typically lower compared to Sundays). According to Nielsen Korea, “Doctor Cha” scored an average nationwide rating of 15.6 percent for its latest episode, taking first place in its time slot across all channels.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1587079wpp/doctor-cha-achieves-its-highest-saturday-ratings-yet

• Like 2

Well, after this episode, all will know they are married…and soon to be divorced.  His mom walking out after her demands was icing as the mistress thought showing their love child would change things.  It did not with her family so why should it change things with his?  She’s rather pathetic.

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

57 minutes ago, Blizzardistkaputt said:

I really cannot understand:crybaby:why would Dr Cha want to do family medicine under Prof Seo aka the mistress?

could be some kind of revenge or trying to get evidence? she was blind until now and now her eyes are open wide? and maybe she likes the specialty, and one woman / mistress shouldn't stop her.

7 hours ago, Ameera Ali said:

when cheating husband can’t read the room , think cheep  gesture will do :D

the family all shellshocked but still accepting this "joke", because they don't want their status quo to change. i'm really looking forward for that all to blow up in their faces

Pop Corn GIF by WWE

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Blob 1

Spoiler

Uhm Jung Hwa Sends A Sharp Warning To Myung Se Bin In “Doctor Cha”

Uhm Jung Hwa Sends A Sharp Warning To Myung Se Bin In “Doctor Cha”

JTBC’s “Doctor Cha” shared new stills ahead of the upcoming episode!

Starring Uhm Jung Hwa, Kim Byung Chul, Myung Se Bin, and Min Woo Hyuk, “Doctor Cha” draws out the “ripped life stitches” of Cha Jung Sook (Uhm Jung Hwa), who transforms from a housewife of 20 years to a first year medical resident.

Spoilers

Previously, Seo In Ho (Kim Byung Chul) got drunk and unintentionally revealed to everyone that he is married to Cha Jung Sook, raising questions about what changes will happen to the relationship between Cha Jung Sook, Seo In Ho, Choi Seung Hee (Myung Se Bin), and Roy Kim (Min Woo Hyuk), especially since Cha Jung Sook left the house after learning of her husband’s double life and affair.

The newly released stills capture the uncomfortable meeting between Cha Jung Sook and Choi Seung Hee. Although slightly flustered at Cha Jung Sook’s appearance at first, Choi Seung Hee soon regains her calm composure and sends Cha Jung Sook a sharp gaze.

Doctor-Cha-2.jpegDoctor-Cha-2-copy.jpeg

Cha Jung Sook also doesn’t back down as as she says something with a stern and fierce expression, making viewers curious to learn what shocking words Cha Jung Sook will say and what the conversation between the two will be about following the reveal to the hospital staff that Cha Jung Sook and Seo In Ho are a married couple.

Doctor-Cha-1.jpeg

The production team shared, “After it becomes revealed to the hospital [staff] that Cha Jung Sook and Seo In Ho are married, Choi Seung Hee and Roy Kim will deal with the situation in their own ways,” raising anticipation for the unpredictable changes that Cha Sung Sook, Seo In Ho, Choi Seung Hee, and Roy Kim will bring.

The next episode of “Doctor Cha” will air on May 14 at 10:30 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1587144wpp/uhm-jung-hwa-sends-a-sharp-warning-to-myung-se-bin-in-doctor-cha

• Like 2

Honestly it looks like they're trying to reunite Jung Suk and In Ho back together. Which is crazy especially the way she's treated in the family. Unfortunately human nature is such. That we only start to appreciate somethin' when it's gone. 

Wifey and mistress under the same medical team - how lovely LoL not. Jung Min's gf don't seem evil LoL. It's nice that she was on Jung Suk's side. 

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

next episode's preview promises Dr. Cha blowing up...

beyond the jokes, funny scenes, one has to shake their heads at this setup. I understood, though it was frustrating to watch, that the FL was willing to keep quiet due to her family. But the same family is also betraying her. 

i really hope before 16 eps end, there will be a divorce. methinks the advice her mum gave FL, is because of generational issues: just work hard, suffer, work hard, but your patience will pay off. because it's for the children.

FL needs to break out of this circle of hell and live for herself, and not for her kids (or husband). 

the ending of this drama will show what kind of future there will be in Korea.

• Like 6
  • Blob 2

Ep10….I think her MIL is a target for swindling.  I hope she cannot pull cash out of the building in Dr. Cha‘s name for this man who wines and dines her as he just asked to do so without telling her family: STOP.  I see no one pays her any attention but for all that is good, someone pay attention to her and meet this rascal.  What he is asking costs more than what he has had to spend to get her on the hook.  May this catch escape.

I kind of thought the son was more like his mother in temperament than his father and this episode proved me right.  Yay!

The half sisters fighting scene and the taxi driver’s sage advice knowing she was following another vehicle for a reason was priceless:  ‘end one before you start something new’.  Sad for her to find out her daughter knew about the affair too.:headbang:

Maybe there will be a future with Dr Kim after the dust settles.

• Like 3
  • Blob 2

Here are the ratings for Episode 10 :).

“Doctor Cha” Overtakes “Itaewon Class” To Become 4th Highest-Rated Drama In JTBC History

“Doctor Cha” Overtakes “Itaewon Class” To Become 4th Highest-Rated Drama In JTBC History

JTBC’s “Doctor Cha” is now the drama with the fourth-highest ratings in JTBC history!

On May 14, the medical comedy drama starring Uhm Jung Hwa soared to its highest viewership ratings yet. According to Nielsen Korea, the latest episode of “Doctor Cha” scored an average nationwide rating of 18.0 percent (17.958 percent, to be exact) as it successfully remained first place in its time slot across all channels.

Not only did the ratings mark a new personal best for the show, but “Doctor Cha” has now overtaken “Itaewon Class” to achieve the fourth-highest ratings of any JTBC drama. At present, it has only been bested by the ratings juggernauts “The World of the Married,” “Reborn Rich,” and “SKY Castle.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1587236wpp/doctor-cha-overtakes-itaewon-class-to-become-4th-highest-rated-drama-in-jtbc-history

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

Episodes 9 & 10

At first, I found myself really annoyed with Jeong Suk. When her insufferable husband decided to first follow her on the volunteer trip, be an overall nuisance and then drunkenly tell everyone that she was his wife. She accepted that too well for my taste. She almost seemed relieved, as if everyone believing they were a happy couple would preclude her from having to make a decision about leaving him for cheating.

I was also annoyed with Dr. Kim because I get that he likes her, respects her and wants to see her do well, but the fact is, some time will have to pass before she is ready to get with someone new once any type of divorce proceeding starts. Divorce is really hard. I imagine in Korea, it's exceptionally hard because of how harshly people are judged for choosing to leave a toxic marriage. JS is trying to be a good resident, after returning to medicine after so many years. She too is in new territory after her entire existence revolving around her family for 20+ years. Then she gets hit with the news that her husband, who, by the way, has never treated her well, has been cheating.

Married for all of those years, no vacations or romantic weekend trips. No cards, cars, properties in her name. In-Ho and his mother have "kept her in her place" for a long time and honestly that is why he wants her back home. I don't feel love from him towards her. It is control. He doesn't like that he cannot control her daily activities. Now, that she is no longer in his department, it is even worse. They miss her labor, and there is a big difference.

The conversation JS had with her mom where her mom tells her to just put up with whatever In Ho does so her kids have a father broke my heart. What a generational difference. How sad that her mother doesn't know love and likeness either. This makes marriage look like a duty, a chore, something you learn to just live with. No matter how much JS was willing to try and save her marriage, Seung Hui is just as determined to fight for what she believes is rightfully hers. Meanwhile, In Ho gets to chill on the side and do nothing. I hate that they are all at the same hospital. Now, this whole mess is tied to their personal lives. 

I still think it was a mistake for her kids to not say anything to her. After all, another child is involved. JS finding out the way that she did was super hard to watch.

Her son's girlfriend was the only person who respected her enough to say something. I feel like the generational difference between them will be beneficial to both. The girlfriend can teach JS how to be tougher, put herself first and not be a doormat to her husband. JS can help the gf to be softer and have a better bedside manner as a doctor.

Also, In Ho does not impress me as a doctor. He seems to be a fair surgeon, but good doctor, he is not. Him running from the lady giving birth was classic for him. Also, I thought about an earlier episode when the mother's had words about JS giving up medicine and In Ho's mom said she was responsible for the accident where the son almost died. I feel like that is going to come back up. Did she find out something then and just chose to ignore it all this time?

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

2 hours ago, nubianlegalmind said:

Also, I thought about an earlier episode when the mother's had words about JS giving up medicine and In Ho's mom said she was responsible for the accident where the son almost died. I feel like that is going to come back up. Did she find out something then and just chose to ignore it all this time?

Now that you bring this up, I wondered about the incident too.  Hm?  We have 6 more episodes to go so hopefully it was not just small talk between MILs.

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

It is very hard to write a drama that is funny & heartbreaking but this writer achieves that often, together with the wonderful cast. Just when I get very annoyed with InHo, he trips over his fragile ego, to bring laughter. I was not angry or disappointed with JS with how she dealt with her hubby exposing their relationship, one could see her struggling....loved how she lets drunken hubby sock himself in the head .....after all she has loved him, even though he less than tolerated her...her children are a result of that love, not some duty - her relationship to her MiL may be duty, but she loves being a mother - still it is painful when JS's mom gives her the old spiel of women having to accept whatever a husband does, because a women needs a husband and father to her children - i was yelling at the screen NOOOOO, women should not accept the crap anymore _ divorce rates have risen in S Korea, so more women are not taking it either

One can understand the toughness of JS's son's girlfriend, not wanting as a women to be stepped on, swallowed up.... the scene in the convertible, with the two women both fighting in their own way to be their own person, the symbolic washing away of their cares , their chains, at least momentarily, in the rain., ah, such scenes are jewels

• Like 5
  • Blob 2

Finally officially on the Doctor Cha bandwagon, and after watching two episodes today I'm enjoying it so far. It is fast-paced and the characters are set up well, but not caricaturish. Well, not too caricaturish. :lol:

Have just been watching the mother-in-law in Secret Garden, too, and I'm sad to say I haven't seen her in any likeable roles yet (Mask, Secret Garden, and now Doctor Cha). Hopefully I can track down a show where she's not so awful :(. She does a good job being a glamorous snob who's protective of her clueless son.

Totally agree with others in that they should have cast an older actress to be the FL's mom. I love Kim Mi Kyung so much! But each time I see her in this show it's jarring that in real life she's only 6 years older than the FL.

Omo @partyon and @agenth and anyone else who watched Tell Me Your Wish - the young handsome doctor plays the pop idol in TMYW who made the singer cancer patient's dream come true. He is well cast here, and totally set up to be quite the catch! Can't wait for competitive shenanigans between him and Doctor Cha's hubby. Not sure what anyone sees in hubby, actually. When Dr Cha was trying to cuddle with him I was a bit grossed out.

Plot-wise I'm glad Dr Cha is finally breaking out of her subservient mindset and standing up for herself. She's doing it a bit passive-aggressively. Amazingly her family is accepting it. Usually when people in a family system start changing, the family wants them to go back to the way they were. We'll see how Ep 3 and beyond go.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, sweetroad said:

Have just been watching the mother-in-law in Secret Garden, too, and I'm sad to say I haven't seen her in any likeable roles yet (Mask, Secret Garden, and now Doctor Cha). Hopefully I can track down a show where she's not so awful :(. She does a good job being a glamorous snob who's protective of her clueless son.

:lol: She is in a weekend drama Be My Dream Family, and not awful. I enjoyed the drama a lot.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 2

On 5/14/2023 at 3:18 AM, Maui808 said:

Am I the only one thinks that there is something wrong with those "Stairs" in their home. Freaks me out everytime I see them walk up or down those stairs. Where the heck are the railings.

In Thai lakorns they ONLY have stairs like that in every home. Been like that for years. Am equally baffled about the safety aspect. :blink:

On 5/14/2023 at 4:23 PM, mskololia1 said:

His mom walking out after her demands was icing as the mistress thought showing their love child would change things.

I think mistress realized that she won't be accepted - like ever. That's why she's getting prepared to leave for the US. I found it interesting that Eun Soo said to her mom:

"It's not that I needed a father. It's that you needed a husband."

Still Eun Soo went over to tantalize I Rang at the academy and from the looks of ep 11 preview, Seung Hi still is keeping her hopes up. It's clear that In Ho doesn't really care for his mistress's family. I am 100% certain that mistress will see him for who he is and will dump him in the end and move to the US.

On 5/14/2023 at 8:27 PM, Latte_Anyday said:

Honestly it looks like they're trying to reunite Jung Suk and In Ho back together. Which is crazy especially the way she's treated in the family.

Really? Am curious why you feel like that? I might have missed something, but I do think it's evident that Doctor Cha will set herself free from him in the end regardless of what other people around her think.

On 5/14/2023 at 10:49 PM, mskololia1 said:

Ep10….I think her MIL is a target for swindling.  

Oh, you caught it too? The guy the MIL is seeing is definitely trying to get his hands on her money. :grimace:

On 5/15/2023 at 10:56 PM, nubianlegalmind said:

I was also annoyed with Dr. Kim because I get that he likes her, respects her and wants to see her do well, but the fact is, some time will have to pass before she is ready to get with someone new once any type of divorce proceeding starts.

Yes, I think he realized it, because he said in ep 10 that he might have a chance once she is done finding her happiness. So I think he does understand that she needs to figure out things first before he can even attempt to start wooing her.

On 5/15/2023 at 10:56 PM, nubianlegalmind said:

Married for all of those years, no vacations or romantic weekend trips. No cards, cars, properties in her name. In-Ho and his mother have "kept her in her place" for a long time and honestly that is why he wants her back home. I don't feel love from him towards her. It is control. He doesn't like that he cannot control her daily activities.

I agree that he's been taking her for granted for a long time. I do think he loves her though. We saw the scene when they were young and getting married, and he grabbed her hand and comforted her when she clearly felt embarrassed and uncomfortable. I think he's just lost his respect for her once she became a stay-at-home mom and gave up her career to please him, his mom, society and kids. Now that she's going back to who she used to be (being independent), he is gaining back his respect for her.

I think it was nice that he admitted that he's a jerk and that he's hurt both Seung Hi and Doctor Cha. I also like the fact that he came clean about her being his wife, and that he apologized too for not telling people about it. I also liked the fact that he brought her a coffee maker because she loves coffee. Which means that he does care for her.

It did make me laugh though that the son was like "Dad, you have to do a lot better if you even want to stand a chance against Dr Roy" :D

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

On 5/18/2023 at 1:36 AM, partyon said:

Still Eun Soo went over to tantalize I Rang at the academy and from the looks of ep 11 preview, Seung Hi still is keeping her hopes up. It's clear that In Ho doesn't really care for his mistress's family. I am 100% certain that mistress will see him for who he is and will dump him in the end and move to the US.

Well, they are leaving for sure... but I guess they just want to mess up with the other family members before leaving.

"If I can't have my father with me ... so will you!"  She has been making plans from the beginning.

Oh, you caught it too? The guy the MIL is seeing is definitely trying to get his hands on her money.

Will the MIL be able to get the money, since Dr. Cha has already used the building as ... what do you call it... in order to get extra money for I-Rang school fees?

It did make me laugh though that the son was like "Dad, you have to do a lot better if you even want to stand a chance against Dr Roy"

I love it too!

• Love 1
  • Blob 1