[Drama 2022] Adamas, 아다마스

larus

Ji Sung’s New Drama “Adamas” Introduces 3 Interesting Points To Keep An Eye On

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Jul 26, 2022
by S. Kim

“Adamas” is planning to captivate the small screen with its unique universe!

tvN’s new Wednesday-Thursday drama “Adamas” revealed interesting points to keep an eye on that will amplify the anticipation for those who are waiting for the drama.

“Adamas” depicts the story of twin brothers uncovering the truth from an incident 22 years ago. The two will work as one in order to clear the murder charges of their biological father who was accused of killing their stepfather and to find the “adamas” that is the evidence for the murder. Ji Sung will be playing both twins named Ha Woo Shin and Song Soo Hyun.

Here are three points to look out for in the drama:

Establishing a unique universe

“Adamas” is a Greek word meaning “unconquerable” from which the word “diamond” is derived. “Adamas” tells the story of twin brothers who dig into the truth behind the incident involving a bloody diamond arrow. The text on the poster that reads, “Steal adamas, the bloody diamond arrow,” implies the dangerous journey of the twin brothers Ha Woo Shin and Song Soo Hyun in search for truth.

“Adamas” boasts a majestic world that is ruled by the undisputedly powerful Haesong Group. By introducing groups of people who are intertwined with various interests from those who try to secure the safety of Haesong Group to those who try to unveil the truth, the ensemble raises anticipation for the colorful and rich stories to come. It also raises the question of how all of these elements will come together in one universe.

adamas-copy-scaled.jpeg

The older brother looking for the real culprit and the younger brother looking for evidence

“Adamas” is a story of twin brothers who fight their individual battles for one truth. The older brother is looking for the real culprit in order to clear the false charge placed on his father who was framed to have killed their stepfather. The younger brother is looking for the adamas, which is the evidence for the murder.

The drama also previews the different situations that each of the brothers will face as well as the different stories that will unfold for each character.

The younger brother and writer Ha Woo Shin is good at making rational judgments and can understand people’s minds very well. The older brother and prosecutor Song Soo Hyun is honest and outspoken about his feelings.

A point to watch out for is how the twin brothers, who look alike but have opposite personalities, take on the events that will unfold and how they will find a breakthrough. It raises anticipation for the truth-seeking journey where the only truth boils down to the adamas even if the starting points are different from one another.

adamas-poster0.jpeg

Star-studded cast

Ji Sung, who has shown multifaceted performances in the past, will boast his skills and strengths once again through his dual roles as Ha Woo Shin and Song Soo Hyun. This time, he will portray intricate details as he takes on the roles of twin brothers who look the same but have different personalities.

In a previous interview, Ji Sung conveyed his passion and said, “I wanted to differentiate the characters by their inner thoughts and not their outer appearances.” This raises anticipation for whether the twin brothers Ha Woo Shin and Song Soo Hyun will become his new roles of a lifetime.

In addition, “Adamas” has a star-studded lineup including Seo Ji Hye (playing Eun Hye Soo), Lee Soo Kyung (playing Kim Seo Hee), Heo Sung Tae (playing chief officer Mr. Choi), and Oh Dae Hwan (playing team leader Mr. Lee). Their fantastic synergy adds to the anticipation for the drama.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1537749wpp/ji-sungs-new-drama-adamas-introduces-3-interesting-points-to-keep-an-eye-on

• Thanks 1

Premiere Watch: Adamas

by missvictrix

adamas_pr.jpg

Time slot: Wednesday-Thursday
Broadcaster: tvN
Genre: Mystery, thriller, crime
Episode count: 16

Reasons to watch: There are a bunch of premieres to look forward to this week, but Adamas is our first, and our only mid-week drama. And what do we have to look forward to, you ask? Ji Sung x Ji Sung. He’s playing twin brothers, and I’m sure he’ll be ridiculously good at projecting two very different characters on screen (after all, he’s nailed it before)! Said brothers are trying to unravel a mystery surrounding their biological father, crimes, a chaebol family, and the vaguely referred to “Adamas.”

I certainly don’t know what this drama has in store for us, but I am truly ready for a thriller that actually does something thrilling… like maybe flip the script for a change? Because if we have yet another predictable setup with the ubiquitous Lee Kyung-young as the chaebol baddie, and the ubiquitous Heo Sung-tae as the threat, I might throw something at my screen.

TL;DR: Ji Sung squared, girl crush Seo Ji-hye, PD of Kairos, potential to play with predictable elements and lean on mystery/doppelgänger elements

https://www.dramabeans.com/2022/07/premiere-watch-adamas/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Ji Sung, Seo Ji Hye, Lee Soo Kyung, And More Talk About The Difficulties Of Their Roles In “Adamas,” The Drama’s True Genre, And More

tvN recently held a press conference for their upcoming drama “Adamas”!

“Adamas” depicts the story of twin brothers uncovering the truth from an incident 22 years ago. The two will work as one in order to clear the murder charges of their biological father who was accused of killing their stepfather and to find the “adamas” that is the evidence for the murder.

On July 26, “Adamas” leads Ji Sung, Seo Ji Hye, Lee Soo Kyung, Heo Sung Tae, and director Park Seung Woo attended an online press conference to discuss the drama and their characters.

Director Park Seung Woo explained that “Adamas” is a drama of more than one genre, sharing, “We have been saying it’s an investigation drama, but can we describe it in one word? I thought a lot about this at the start. It’s hard to explain a drama with one expression. If I say it’s a mystery thriller, there’s also a side of powerful action. If I consider it action, there are also noir aspects. It feels like a mix of various genres. It’s hard to describe this aspect. I wonder if it isn’t even a genre drama.”

Adamas-2-1536x1024.jpeg

Adamas-1-1536x1024.jpeg

Ji Sung stars in a dual role as identical twin brothers Ha Woo Shin, an author, and Song Soo Hyun, a special forces prosecutor who works at the Central District Prosecutor’s office. While this sounds like a lot, it is not Ji Sung’s first time in a role like this. In the 2015 drama “Kill Me Heal Me,” Ji Sung played a character who develops dissociative identity disorder, leading the actor to eventually play up to seven different roles at once.

Ji Sung revealed that all seven of the characters were very different, but that his approach to playing twin brothers was not the same. He shared about his role in “Adamas,” “The two people have the same start. As they’re similar, there were a lot of difficult aspects as I tried to emphasize the portrayal of their subtle differences.”

Spoiler

Ji-Sung-1024x1536.jpeg

Seo Ji Hye revealed she had to consider a lot of different things for her role as Eun Hye Soo, the daughter-in-law of Haesong Group’s CEO. She commented, “I wondered how to portray the complicated emotions of whether [Eun Hye Soo] will aid Woo Shin and what kind of character she will be. Since the drama’s script was so solid, I just followed the flow of emotions and it went well. That’s why I tried to be secretive in real life too.”

Spoiler

Seo-Ji-Hye-2-1024x1536.jpeg

As Lee Soo Kyung’s character Kim Seo Hee is a social affairs reporter at TNC, the actress shared, “I felt that the career of a reporter was charming. There are also secrets that Seo Hee has. I was drawn to her because she’s a character with a twist. Seo Hee is the type to tenaciously bite and stretch something once she’s set on a goal. She has good endurance. My endurance is not great. That’s our greatest difference.”

Spoiler

Lee-Soo-Kyung-5-1024x1536.jpeg

Regarding his character Choi Tae Sung, a general security manager for Haesongwon, the residence of Haesong Group’s chairman, Heo Sung Tae commented, “In real life, I have no charisma. When I’m acting, I have to play powerful roles so there are some aspects that make me cringe. Out of all the roles I’ve done, the general security manager is my most sophisticated role. I’m thankful to the director for giving me this opportunity. [Choi Tae Sung] has sophisticated charisma.”

Spoiler

Heo-Sung-Tae-4-1024x1536.jpeg

The director spoke about the casting process, explaining, “Ji Sung was cast before me so he’s the biggest reason why I decided to do this project. Eun Hye Soo, who is portrayed by Seo Ji Hye, is hard to describe in one to two words. She must be elegant and not make it known that she has hidden inner wounds. The character had to be beautiful. As we were searching for that intersection, the solution we came to was Seo Ji Hye.”

In 2010, Seo Ji Hye and Ji Sung both appeared in “Kim Soo Ro” (also known as “The Iron King”) and are now working together again for the first time in over 10 years. Ji Sung commented, “We met for the first time in 10 years. I figure that we were able to meet again because we’ve both been healthy and well. It felt new and it was good to see her. While acting together, she has the same reactions as in the past, so it’s nice to see.”

He then praised his co-star, saying, “Just the way she stands in front of the camera is exactly Eun Hye Soo. It was alluring.”

When asked about the key points of “Adamas,” Heo Sung Tae chose action while Lee Soo Kyung picked Ji Sung’s acting. Seo Ji Hye chose the actors’ acting and characters and Ji Sung answered, “I think it will be fun if you search for the adamas along with all the actors.”

“Adamas” premieres on July 27 at 10:30 p.m. KST. Check out a teaser for the drama here!

Ji Sung, Seo Ji Hye, Lee Soo Kyung, And More Talk About The Difficulties Of Their Roles In “Adamas,” The Drama’s True Genre, And More | Soompi

• Like 1

• larus changed the title to [Current Drama 2022] Adamas, 아다마스-Ji Sung, Seo Ji Hye & Lee Soo Kyung -Wed. & Thu. @22:30 KST

Here are the ratings for Episode 1!  :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

tvN’s new Wednesday-Thursday drama “Adamas” achieved an average nationwide rating of 3.502 percent for its premiere episode.

“Adamas” depicts the story of twin brothers uncovering the truth from an incident 22 years ago. The two will work as one in order to clear the murder charges of their biological father who was accused of killing their stepfather and to find the “adamas” that is the evidence for the murder. The drama stars Ji SungSeo Ji HyeLee Soo KyungHeo Sung Tae, and more.

“Extraordinary Attorney Woo” Continues Streak Of Setting New Personal Best + “Adamas” Joins Ratings Race | Soompi

Here are the ratings for Episode 2!  :).

tvN’s new drama “Adamas” saw a decline in ratings for its second episode, falling to an average nationwide rating of 2.8 percent (from its premiere rating of 3.5 percent).

“Extraordinary Attorney Woo” Hits New Ratings High Among Younger Viewers As “Insider” Ends On Rise | Soompi

Ep.1: It's Ji Sung's drama, production design is very good, direction is slick and spooky and scary, but the story looks like the same old "convicted is not the killer, it's the big conglomerate tycoon who wants to rule Korea by setting up his own PM, so let's get justice and overthrow the corrupt." The big reveal of diamond knife as murder weapon and 'Adamas' was underwhelming. So script is not looking original. 

Ji Sung's twins aren't really that different: the prosecutor twin was shown to be meticulous and disciplined, and neat-freak, but he ate the burger rudely and the jam eating was also sloppy, in fact I'm thinking that the prosecutor is the one inside the tycoon's building and ghostwriter is the one ghosting in the law office. 

I also thought the twins would work together, but no, they are apart, and may be working separately, so fun element isn't there. 

The 2 actresses are boring and lacklustre, and have less than zero chemistry / spark on their own or with Ji Sung. Why can't Ji Sung get good cute actresses to work with him nowadays? Or do big actresses not want to work in a Ji Sung vehicle where he is in every single frame and they would just be hanger-ons?

And btw, where are all the Korean actresses whose faces move? 

I also thought that the scene where the reporter with her paper clippings tells Ji Sung that the killer may be innocent was naive writing. Surely, a prosecutor would have the entire record (even the one not made public), but he is convinced just by looking at average newspaper clippings! 

I will say though, the guy playing tycoon has got a great gig going on: he's always the bad guy, he's always dressed to the nines (in sharp suits), and he always winds up in jail alive by the end. He's really a non-actor just sleep-walking through lines, but he is in every other drama as the main villain! 

Will check out Ep. 2 to see if something unpredictable happens. Will fast-forward the scenes with the actresses. The drama needs to up its game plot-wise.  

Adamas: Episode 2

by missvictrix

https://d263ao8qih4miy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/Adamas02_1.jpg

As our novelist makes his intentions known, we learn more about what brought him to the Haesong mansion. And the more time he spends in said mansion — somewhat recklessly, one might add — the more the intrigue builds.

Editor’s note: Coverage will continue with weecaps.

EPISODE 2 WEECAP

Much like in Episode 1, Adamas is beautifully directed and uses its longish moments and slow reveals to build tension and suspense in a way that’s different from the jump-scare side of things. It’s more like this slowly unraveling mystery, where one clue leads to another which leads to another — good thing our heroes are both brave and ballsy, because they have quite the mountain opposing them.

We pick up with the stand-off between Woo-shin and Tae-sung, which confirms that Tae-sung is indeed undercover. But also, he’s intense, and willing to do anything (anything!) to keep his cover. We see that intention in his eyes, but also in the following scene where he puts Woo-shin’s loyalties (or ability to keep a secret) to the test.

Hye-soo happened to be out in the same forest “picking flowers” and she stumbled across the two men during their threatening exchange. When the situation is called to Chairman Kwon’s attention, all three of them wind up in his study — not at all unlike going to the principal’s office.

Hye-soo and Tae-sung offer two different sides of the story; it’s left for Woo-shin to explain himself to the chairman. What was he doing in the woods? What was the situation between him and Tae-sung? Chairman Kwon takes it lightly and seems willing to buy Woo-shin’s “walk” in the woods; dragon lady Ms. Kwon is breathing fire, though, and it sets up a tension between her and her beloved chairman later. (When she suggests the chairman likes Woo-shin because he reminds him of his deceased son, she’s brutally assaulted by the chairman, and to make it even worse, she takes the blow as if a disciplined and devoted watchdog.)

Anyway, the study scene is wildly tense, with nothing happening as we’re just waiting to see what Woo-shin will do. He winds up asking to speak to Chairman Kwon in private, and then he continues to do what he seems way too good at: gaining the chairman’s trust. Later, in flashback, we see that Woo-shin used the opportunity to tell Chairman Kwon that he will indeed keep tabs on Hye-soo and report back to him. Trust level 8/10 at this point, probably.

With Chairman Kwon’s favor in pocket (at least for now), Woo-shin not only calls Tae-sung out for testing whether he would blow his cover to the chairman when under pressure, but also refuses to be controlled by Ms. Kwon. Much to her rage.

Dragon Lady Kwon has overheard Dong-rim’s earlier “chaebol research” comment, so she thinks he’s digging for information. Of course, there’s soooo much more going on than that. Regardless, she’s utterly suspicious of him and has her maids tailing his every move (forcing them to take rat poison when they fail, omg). Meanwhile, Tae-sung uses a well-hidden satellite phone to talk to whoever his people are. He’s told to remove the threat that Woo-shin poses to their cover. Uh oh.

Woo-shin isn’t one to be intimidated, though, and he continues his exploration of the house, assessing its architecture quite thoroughly, and looking for signs of any sort of hidden room or chamber where the priceless adamas might be secreted.

During one such forbidden exploration, he meets Hye-soo, languid and mysterious as ever. But the tense scene turns even more so when Woo-shin sets off the portable metal detector in her handbag. He shrugs it off, saying he once had surgery to his finger, but the maid who’s tailing him reports it all back to the dragon lady.

Dragon lady knows — gulp — that no such surgery records turned up when Woo-shin was cleared for entry into the mansion, and she digs deeper. Surprise, surprise, she soon receives Woo-shin’s medical records stating the exact surgical procedure he claimed to have. Except he knows he didn’t have it.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2022/08/adamas-episode-2/

Seems that Hye-Soo loses her rings very often whenever she does gardening, that is why

she carries a metal detector with her. I think the true facts is, she is also hunting for Adamas in

that big mansion.

Whoa.... fat short Lady Kwon, how is she related to Chairman Kwon. 

And the mute lady, is she really mute ?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Thong Thin said:

Seems that Hye-Soo loses her rings very often whenever she does gardening, that is why

she carries a metal detector with her. I think the true facts is, she is also hunting for Adamas in

that big mansion.

Whoa.... fat short Lady Kwon, how is she related to Chairman Kwon. 

And the mute lady, is she really mute ?

I think it is both reasons. 

I am thinking to that somehow she is family to.

I am not sure she is either.

• Like 1

So glad I started the drama it's soo good so far. Can't wait for next episode.

Short main maid is soo evil and annoying but very good job by the actress. Her character reminds me of anime characters.

I wonder if the deaf secretary is really deaf. I like how both twin brothers are working towards the same goal in their own different ways without the other knowing.

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

9 hours ago, Photo Photo said:

So glad I started the drama it's soo good so far. Can't wait for next episode.

Short main maid is soo evil and annoying but very good job by the actress. Her character reminds me of anime characters.

I wonder if the deaf secretary is really deaf. I like how both twin brothers are working towards the same goal in their own different ways without the other knowing.

I have not catch up with the latest episode yet but each episode is mind boggling.

My hunch is, she is not deaf & she might be a spy in the house.

• Like 2

Here is the ratings for Episode 5! :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“Extraordinary Attorney Woo” Continues Streak at No. 1 + “If You Wish Upon Me” Joins Ratings Race

Meanwhile, tvN’s “Adamas” recorded an average rating of 2.669 percent, which is a dip from the previous episode’s rating of 3.33 percent.

“Extraordinary Attorney Woo” Continues Streak at No. 1 + “If You Wish Upon Me” Joins Ratings Race | Soompi

10 hours ago, Thong Thin said:

I have not catch up with the latest episode yet but each episode is mind boggling.

My hunch is, she is not deaf & she might be a spy in the house.

We got more details about her actions and motivations yesterday. Won't spoil since you still didn't catch up.