[Drama 2023] A Time Called You / 너의 시간 속으로 - Ahn Hyo-Seop / Jeon Yeo-Bin / Kang Hoon

Maetawinz

Spoiler

Jeon Yeo Been Plays 2 Polar-Opposite Characters In New Mystery Romance Drama “A Time Called You”

Jeon Yeo Been Plays 2 Polar-Opposite Characters In New Mystery Romance Drama “A Time Called You”

Upcoming drama “A Time Called You” has shared a glimpse of Jeon Yeo Been in her dual roles!

Based on the hit Taiwanese drama “Some Day or One Day,” “A Time Called You” is a time-slip romance starring Jeon Yeo Been as Jun Hee, a woman who desperately misses her boyfriend after he passes away. One year into her mourning, she winds up miraculously traveling back in time to 1998, where she wakes up as the high school student Min Ju and meets fellow student Si Heon (Ahn Hyo Seop), who looks exactly like her late boyfriend.

Although officer worker Jun Hee looks exactly like high school student Min Ju, the resemblance ends there: aside from their faces, the two women have nothing in common personality-wise. In order to capture the differences between these polar-opposite characters, not only did Jeon Yeo Been change her hairstyle and clothing color palette, but she also paid careful attention to the details of each character’s behavior—right down to the rhythm of their movements.

The newly released stills offer a sneak peek of Jeon Yeo Been in different stages of her characters’ lives, from working adult to high school and college student.

Jeon-Yeo-Been-2.jpg

“A Time Called You” will be released on September 8. Check out a trailer for the drama here!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1611019wpp/jeon-yeo-been-plays-2-polar-opposite-characters-in-new-mystery-romance-drama-a-time-called-you

The first 9 episodes are very good - the love story, the twists and the guess game of what is really going on, who ends up with who, and who did what, etc. keep you glued, but the killer reveal is ridiculous (and doesn't make sense even in a time-traveling, multiple time-lines genre), the killings are even more ridiculous: the only way the killings could've occurred is after Cha-Hui travelled 25 years later back to 1998 and acted on his killer impulses - which he hadn't acted on for 25 years!!!!! - and which were groomed by his older self (in older brother's body) in the first place, he kills 2 women (as his older brother, in 1998), and then does not kill again in any timeline ever again!!! - and then kills Si-Heon 25 years later 2 seconds after traveling back 25 years in time to attacked Min-Ju, and wants to kill Jun-Hee!! So the only reason the killer existed is because the lead couple existed, and they only existed because Min-Ju had been killed! (who was only killed back in time after the lead couple had been together 16 or so years, with Cha-Hui as their friend!). It would've been better if the killer was a fellow student from 1998, who then goes on to kill again in college, university etc. and be a constant threat in the lives of the main 4 students. But this killer reveal made no sense and neither did his motivation. I started fast-forwarding after Ep. 9 till Ep.12 because the drama got ridiculous and nonsensical.  

Plus, after 9 episodes, there was zero growth in any character or their common sense, Si-Heon could've changed some future (as could Min Ju, or In Gyu or even Jun Hee) just by learning and forwarding information gleaned from past timelines but no logical thing happened. Si-Heon could've better watched and warned his best friend In Gyu over his suicidal thoughts, he just sits around for 20 years. And we are just supposed to feel sorry for the leads for the heck of it, all of the troubles of 9 episodes mean nothing in the end, the 3 deaths of Si-Heon, all the time jumps, "i'm alive" reveals, did not add up to any progress in story or characters or justice for the killings. 

Especially disappointed in the attitude of Min Jun who could see the other girl Jun-Hee act and change people around, be a positive influence even in her family by standing up for herself, and yet Min Jun didn't learn anything. Her suicidal thoughts were shoddily handled in the drama and frankly extremely unprofessionally: a boy is not a cure; she needn't major counseling and therapy. In fact, it would've been better if she had gotten rid of the killer herself, by getting courage and trying to make changes in her life or seeking help. But, no, she had zero growth and self-awareness. And when everything disappears in the end, I'm sure she went back to trying to kill herself, and In-Gyu went back to having one-sided love, and Si-Heon went to U.S., with 11-year old Jun-Hee having a crush on 18 year old Si-Heon. So what have we been watching the drama for? Growth and progress, of which there was none.  

And to top everything off, when the main couple see each other in the end in 2011 fresh timeline (as 31 year old business owner Si Heon and 24 year old Jun-Hee, who have no memory or connection in the new timeline) we are not shown THEIR relationship progress, I mean, it would've been better if we were shown what they would've been like without the baggage (and past/future connection that steered them towards each other), how fun and energetic they were as a normal couple in 2011. We are not told what happens to the second leads (In-Gyu, Min-Ju) nor the cafe 27 uncle, or where killer wannabe Cha-Hui and his older brother Cha-Yeong ended up, or are doing; Where is In-Gyu? Si-Heon's best friend who he looked out for across every timeline, is not mentioned nor seen in the end! It was shocking that Si-Heon is not shown at least talking to him on the phone! No flash-forward of where Min Ju's brother and mother ended up. No mention of Da-Hyeon (the other killed girl). We also did not see the future end of the gay couple: the real Yun-Jun and Tae-Ha, if they die in the fresh timeline too, at least it could've been shown. 

All that investment in the characters and their issues, and then in the end the show could not inform how all of them were doing and living life unhindered by any Jun-Hee invasion/time-traveling in 1998? It would've been better if the main leads ended up having a cup of coffee in the uncle's barista, with In-Gyu joining too or something! Or one of the comic books having the time-travel love story that Si-Heo then publishes or something. 

The biggest irony is that Jun-Hee in the end in 2011 fresh timeline (the college-going 24 year old) is not the firebrand, confident Jun-Hee we've seen for the entirety of the drama, she's like a flat dull squid quietly standing in the middle of the road waiting for some stranger to talk to her. She used to be a live wire, where did all the spunk vanish? Even Si-Heon, 31 years old, who as a high-schooler was outgoing, happy and positive, seemed like a lame duck. It looked like Min ju and In Gyu had overtaken their bodies! Why were they both gloomy when they had no reason to be so in fresh 2011 timeine/the real time?!!! What is the tragedy in this couple's life for them to be this robotic? Meeting someone new for the first time is supposed to be exciting. The ending was awfully written and done. 

One timeline has to be constant, either the uncle, or the killer or the hero or the heroine's timeline. None were constant and in actuality, none of it mattered because everything is wiped out after the heroine (Jun-Hee)'s connection to 1998 (and Min-Ju, Si-Heon and In-Gyu) is removed and she's just an 11 year old in 1998 once again. So what have we been invested in the characters and their romance or death for? To see figaments of our imagination play out and then get wiped out and then play again? 

I had no problem with anyone's acting, but I did have a massive problem with the wig (or whatever mop and 'mustache' lead actor had on for those 20 limp years timeline). Did he forget to get his haircut and shave because he was sad or because he was lazy? 

I fast-forwarded the last 3 episodes. The killer reveal, ending of the drama, and characters are not handled well. Could've been so much better. 

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

I wandered here to take a look at the comments after watching the first part of ep8…cos I saw Rowoon and Ahn HS holding hands and thought I must be seeing things.

:crazily:

How is that relevant to the plot? To explain how AhnHS became crippled and scarred? I’m not sure why they had to do that.

I think I might not stay to find out…

@partyon @kokodus

you’re here!

AhnHS has good abs!

• Blob 1

4 hours ago, noor1 said:

I fast-forwarded the last 3 episodes. The killer reveal, ending of the drama, and characters are not handled well. Could've been so much better. 

Oh noes. Did you watch the original Taiwanese version? The last 3 episodes were masterpieces.

:evilelmo:

Even k-netz are not happy about this version @kokodus @larus

Korean viewers dismayed at 'Someday or One Day' remake 'A Time Called You'

15393902_1174403_3957.jpg

"Give us back Ziwei Li" Korean viewers under mental breakdown after seeing male lead for Korean remake of 'Someday or One Day'

Full article:

https://netizenbuzz.blogspot.com/2023/09/korean-viewers-dismayed-at-someday-or.html

3 hours ago, rocat said:

AhnHS has good abs!

Pics or it didn't happen. :machocat:

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 2

• partyon changed the title to [Drama 2023] A Time Called You / 너의 시간 속으로 - Ahn Hyo-Seop / Jeon Yeo-Bin / Kang Hoon

@partyon @larus @rocat I never thought Ahn hyo seop was that bad until recently when i watched 2eps of business proposal. LOL. Still i gave him a benefit of doubt thinking that his character there was supposed to be stiff....but I guess not. Is it possible for someone to deteriorate like this?!? I thought people improve for better with more dramas. Sighhh. 

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

16 hours ago, kokodus said:

I never thought Ahn hyo seop was that bad until recently when i watched 2eps of business proposal. LOL. Still i gave him a benefit of doubt thinking that his character there was supposed to be stiff....but I guess not. Is it possible for someone to deteriorate like this?!? I thought people improve for better with more dramas. Sighhh. 

I saw him in 2016 in his debut dramas where he had suporting roles.  I was curious if he will portray his character in the TW remake. Greg Han was very lively and showed emotions in Someday or One Day. I did not see the Korean version.

There are people who enjoyed the Korean version and even Ahn Hyo seok`s performance.

A Time Called You: Episodes 1-12 (Series Review)

by DaebakGrits

A woman still mourning her deceased boyfriend receives an anonymous gift that sends her back in time to inhabit the body of her doppelgänger, a high school girl living in the year 1998. In the past, she meets a high school boy who looks exactly like her lost love, and so begins a tragic and fated love story that spans decades and defies all logic.

EPISODES 1-12

Long before A Time Called You was announced, I was raving about and recommending Someday or One Day to @missvictrix. So, yeah, it would be a massive understatement to say that I’ve been waiting for this Netflix drama-drop for a long time — and I eagerly binge-watched all twelve episodes so I could write this fairly spoilerific (you’ve been warned!) series review. As always, though, I’ll do my best not to make any unfair comparisons and treat this K-drama as its own separate entity.

Our story begins in the year 1998 and almost immediately drops a nostalgia bomb on us in the form of a music store selling CDs and cassette tapes. Outside 27 Record, a high school boy (Ahn Hyo-seop) wears an amused expression as he watches his best friend JUNG IN-KYU (Kang Hoon) gaze — with obvious hearts in his eyes — through the shop window at the girl (Jeon Yeo-bin) behind the counter.

In-kyu, we quickly learn, is painfully shy around his crush, but his extroverted friend — and quite possibly the best wingman ever — drags In-kyu into the store. He does his damnedest to get In-kyu to strike up a conversation with the even more introverted girl, who stumbles over her words and struggles to make eye contact with either boy. Unfortunately, neither the timid girl nor her tongue-tied suitor can hold a conversation, so our extrovert does most of the talking. (*whomp, whomp*)

Our story then skips ahead to the present, where we’re introduced to HAN JOON-HEE (also played by Jeon Yeo-bin). Given that she shares the same face (and actress) as the girl from 1998, we’re led to believe they are the same person — except Joon-hee is a lot more social. She holds her head high, smiles, and jokes with her coworkers about her hot date later that evening, but her “hot date” is really a memorial service for her boyfriend GU YEON-JOON (also played by Ahn Hyo-seop), who died in a plane crash a year ago.

In-kyu, we quickly learn, is painfully shy around his crush, but his extroverted friend — and quite possibly the best wingman ever — drags In-kyu into the store. He does his damnedest to get In-kyu to strike up a conversation with the even more introverted girl, who stumbles over her words and struggles to make eye contact with either boy. Unfortunately, neither the timid girl nor her tongue-tied suitor can hold a conversation, so our extrovert does most of the talking. (*whomp, whomp*)

Our story then skips ahead to the present, where we’re introduced to HAN JOON-HEE (also played by Jeon Yeo-bin). Given that she shares the same face (and actress) as the girl from 1998, we’re led to believe they are the same person — except Joon-hee is a lot more social. She holds her head high, smiles, and jokes with her coworkers about her hot date later that evening, but her “hot date” is really a memorial service for her boyfriend GU YEON-JOON (also played by Ahn Hyo-seop), who died in a plane crash a year ago.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/09/a-time-called-you-episodes-1-12-series-review/

• Wiggle 1

I did not watch the original for this drama but I’m on episode 4 and let me tell you, I am confused as heck and have lots of question :loolz: I heard that’s how the original was like too…Correct me if I am wrong original Taiwanese drama watchers?

• Wiggle 1