Song Il Kook 송일국

KonaBeans

[Interview] Song Il-gook, "My ancestors are helping me"

photo863672.jpg

"I am a lucky person. Things work out better than I put effort into. I matured when I looked through my grandfather's (Kim Jwa-jin) historical pictures with my mother. I feel my ancestors are helping me".

Actor Song Il-gook is the eldest grandson of independence fighter Kim Jwa-jin and Kim Doo-han from "The General's Son". He is an actor and politician Kim Eul-dong's son. He is also the father of triplets Dae-han, Min-guk and Man-se.

In a recent interview with Song Il-gook, he said, "My ancestors are looking out for me".

"I have been lucky in everything I do. I wondered what to make of this and I realized, taking care of my family and protecting my children is one way of paying my ancestors back".

Song Il-gook debuted in 1998. He was in the plays "I Am You" in 2010, 2011 and 2014 and he claims this made him look back on himself.

photo863674.jpg

"I realized how worthless I am through theater. Since then, I am always grateful for being able to be in theater. Being in "I Am You" alone is a blessing. At first I played the roles of Ahn Joong-geun and Ahn Joong-saeng with veteran actors Park Jeong-ja, Han Myeong-goo and Bae Hae-seon".

"I first met them in the National Theater of Korea which is not an easy place for a beginner like me. Everything was confusing, but I received some good reviews. I was always at the theater first and I put flowers on the desks of my seniors".

The reason director Yoon Seok-hwa asked for Song Il-gook was literally because of Song Il-gook's ancestors. He learned that Song Il-gook visited historical sites every year and decided to call him in.

Yoon Seok-hwa is a genius. It's thanks to my ancestors that I got the role at the time and being at the sites myself taught me a lot of things that no one would feel without going there. The cast were in China for about 10 days and that experience completely changed my tone of acting".

photo863673.jpg

""I Am You" changed my acting life". Song Il-gook is now performing in "Lord of Massacre". His energy can be felt throughout the 90 minutes of the play.

""I wasn't ready to be called an actor during "I Am You" but after this play, I think I can proudly say I am 'actor' Song Il-gook. I feel myself growing into an actor and everyday is different for me. I also feel an actor is happy on stage".

Song Il-gook's energy is more powerful than any veteran actor. It's not easy being in a play twice a week but he says he can do more.

"It's less tiring than the triathlon. It is stressful mentally and I have to survive between three other veteran actors. Our lines have to be in order and we can't trespass on each others' space. We are all the main characters. We can't stand out more than the other but we have to think of a way to find our own thing. I am trying hard to keep up here, we all are, to make "Lord of Massacre" work".

Meanwhile, "Lord of Massacre" featuring Song Il-gook, Nam Kyeong-joo, Choi Jeong-won and Lee Ji-habegins on the 23rd of July at the Seoul Arts Center.

• Like 9

Daehan Minguk Manse will be handsome as Appa Song Il Gook, so in the future we will see three handsome Song Il Gook junior. They are such a triple blessings. From SIG IG post, I think Manse pose like a model, Minguk pose like an actor (he probably copy his Appa expression in the drama), while Daehan pose as Daehan the obedient son). Whatever they will be in the future, I always be their fans. 

Wish Song Appa to be back in a movie or maybe drama....

• Like 7

4 hours ago, KonaBeans said:

@ardently @suellen88  Yes, no doubt they will be handsome and tall like daddy Song.

Here's artist Shandy Claws's vision of our beloved boys. How beautiful they are.

Hi KonaBeans, awww.........thanks for sharing this artwork of the boys. NICE. They grow so fast now. I'm sure they'll be looking good much more as they age.....:tongue: I miss them, I miss SIG, too! :D

• Like 7

2 hours ago, ardently said:

With these looks, they will surely be a hit.  Hmm, maybe they can form a boy band, too.  

Hi ardently, hahaha - why not? They have the looks of a boy group band.....But, I guess only one of them is interested in singing or do I stand corrected? :tongue:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, willenette said:

Hi ardently, hahaha - why not? They have the looks of a boy group band.....But, I guess only one of them is interested in singing or do I stand corrected? :tongue:

I think all the 3 or them like to sing & they also have their own style of singing. All of them have a nice voice. Their mother also like to sing, and I think that where they got the musical talent. Even though we can see Minguk is the one who always singing. 

Any review of SIG theatrical drama God of Carnage? The show will be finish this week isn't it? Hope SIG perform well, and so as the rest of the cast. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, suellen88 said:

I think all the 3 or them like to sing & they also have their own style of singing. All of them have a nice voice. Their mother also like to sing, and I think that where they got the musical talent. Even though we can see Minguk is the one who always singing. 

Any review of SIG theatrical drama God of Carnage? The show will be finish this week isn't it? Hope SIG perform well, and so as the rest of the cast. 

Hi suellen88, thanks for the reply. Also, thanks for the info about the Mom - Ye, it's only Minguk that I usually hear & listen singing.....I heard the show will be finished on July 23. I hope after this SIG could do a drama for us. :tongue:

• Like 6

On 17/07/2017 at 9:13 AM, willenette said:

I hope after this SIG could do a drama for us. :tongue:

Oh, oh, @willenette , I can't wait a new drama with our Prince (meanwhile I'm watching Jumong's best scenes, ohohoh!!! )

https://scontent.fotp3-3.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/483532_392403117514081_820053583_n.jpg?oh=7833c07dd31539eee9651454ec2d9cc8&oe=59F365E8

Love you all, SIKers!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, gabisikfan said:

Oh, oh, @willenette , I can't wait a new drama with our Prince (meanwhile I'm watching Jumong's best scenes, ohohoh!!! )

https://scontent.fotp3-3.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/483532_392403117514081_820053583_n.jpg?oh=7833c07dd31539eee9651454ec2d9cc8&oe=59F365E8

Love you all, SIKers!

Hi gabisikfan I love "Jumong".....I don't really dig long EP dramas but on this one I watched this series mainly for SIG..... I’ll be truthful again, I don’t always care for historical dramas but I've no choice since SIG was in it. Quite an old drama but this is really good. It's just that I fast-forwarded mostly any scenes that were extended recall/replay scenes.  I love the colors of the costumes here, very visually striking.  "Jumong" is that sort of heavily political historical drama that is both serious and steeped in war, and tests you through lots and lots of dialogue. It was not a perfect drama because being 81-episodes long, yes, there were definitely some storylines/scenes that dragged. SlG wonderfully portrayed his character as Prince Jumong.  He and Han Hye Jin were truly truly wonderful to watch. I was way too invested on this one. This wasn't my personal favorite drama of all time, but it got my vote for one of the best written dramas of all time. After "Jumong" I understood why SlG was such a mega insane superstar in Korea. As far as I remember during airing the ratings went from 37% to 52%. It was "phenomenal" then became a "national drama"! - This drama won in Baeksang Arts Awards: for Daesang (Grand Prize) - Sigh....China banned this drama as it portrayed the Emperor of the Han Dynasty to be a totally violent person who encouraged mass weapon productions. I don't understand why mainland China threatens to boycott the drama. This drama is worth every single minute of your time - my opinion. :tongue:

• Like 3

Hello everyone i seen a post about Dokdo Island considering what the Japan did to South Koran why should they not fight for what is there's. I made this video when I found about the story of Dokdo Island. Can't blame anyone about Japan not watching KD because Japan is now can go Japan because of large women's groups asking the Government to drop the issue and they did. I think this tells video the story of how much emotion went into the event. The song is THE CLIMB.

I like to say hello to all my friends!!!!!! I am still trying to make videos but the computer with all my songs and and photos as soon as it is fixed I will on fire again. My email is yvonneg.allen@gmail.com I would love to hear from you all been down a laterly love to get emails from all of you.

• Like 3