Song Il Kook 송일국

KonaBeans

Guest dramalover

Posted on: Sunday, August 13, 2006

Korean history dramas' audience growing

By Jeff Chung

The historical Korean drama "Jumong" is a production of one of the three largest networks in South Korea, where its ratings are soaring.

Contemporary Korean dramas have taken center stage in Hawai'i, but historical dramas, too, have a huge following — particularly among local men.

Men have taken a big interest in dramas such as "Emperor of the Sea" and "Immortal Yi Soon Shin." Now, at 9:30 on Wednesdays and Thursdays, "Jumong" has taken the limelight.

The story of "Jumong" dates to the foundations of Korea in the 2nd century B.C., when three kingdoms existed: Goguryeo, Silla and Baekje.

The English name for Korea was derived from the Goryeo dynasty, which had a large territory in what is now northeast China.

Jumong, or Chumong, was the name of the founding king of Goguryeo, played in the historical drama by Song Il Gook.

This series is a production of MBC, one of the three largest networks in South Korea, and a special program developed to celebrate its 45th anniversary.

In South Korea, the ratings of "Jumong" are soaring in prime time. The MBC network plans to turn its multi-acre set into a tourist attraction after the program is over.

There is some confusion as to how to spell the lead character's name; it's spelled "Chumong" in the subtitles. In the late 1990s, South Korea adopted a standard for English-language spellings that reflect the pronunciation of the place name. So Cheju Island is now Jeju Island and Pusan is now Busan. The old spelling of the founding king's name was "Chumong," but it's pronounced with a "J" sound.

Whoever did the translation at the network did not follow the standardization, instead using the old way of spelling; the drama is subtitled using the spelling Chumong when it should have been Jumong.

Since the network chose to use this format, KBFD had to be consistent when providing schedule information and promotion.

Adding to the confusion, Jumong is also known as "Jungmo" and "Chumo," depending on which Chinese character is used to spell the name.

Jumong has a mythical background, as he is said to have been the son of Hae Mosu, the son of the Sun God. Jumong's mother was the daughter of a river god, Habek, named Yuhwa. Yuhwa gave birth to an egg from which came Jumong.

The word jumong is supposed to have meant skilled in archery, as Hae Mosu was extremely talented with the bow.

Jumong is said to have had tremendous archery skills from birth and to be a natural leader, but in the TV program, Jumong is played as more of a quiet and subtle character.

In the opening action of series, Jumong's palace brothers are trying to get the title of crown prince, currying favor from the king. And Jumong marries a woman named Ye Bu-young, who bears him his son Yuri.

Jumong, in fear for his life from his palace brothers, leaves for Jolbon land, where he befriends leaders in Gaeru. After gaining the support of Gaeru provincial leaders, he joins with other neighboring tribes and establishes Goguryeo, changing his surname from Hae to Go.

"Go," which means "high" in Chinese characters, is the "Go" in Goguryeo. Jumong was also known as King Dongmyeongseong.

Jumong then marries Soseuno, a princess of Gaeru who bears him two sons. His first wife and son Yuri escape to Goguryeo, and Jumong then gives the title of crown prince to Yuri.

Source:Honolulu Advertiser

credit: jeff chung@kbfd.com.

Song Il Kook!!!! yes yes i am a new fan. hehehehe i am currently watching him in Jumong. He is so hot and is a great actor. I hope so see many more of his works in the future :]

• 3 weeks later...
Guest aoiyuki291

it's nothing special but i found this on the news thread posted by sandrydc:

"현빈·손예진, '칠월칠석' 데이트하고 싶은 연예인 1위

2006-08-28 posted by Louis at iyejin.com

IPB Image

[마이데일리 = 장서윤 기자] 탤런트 현빈(24)과 손예진(24)이 칠월 칠석날 가장 데이트하고 싶은 남녀 연예인 1위로 각각 선정됐다.

연 애 관련 인터넷 커뮤니티 '더토크'는 오는 30일 칠월 칠석(음력 7월 7일)을 맞아 남녀(남:1872명, 여:1324명) 네티즌을 대상으로 '칠석날 데이트 하고픈 연예인'에 대해 인터넷 투표를 한 결과 현빈(34%)과 손예진(31%)이 가장 높은 지지를 받았다고 28일 밝혔다.

현빈은 'MBC 드라마 '내이름은 김삼순' 속 캐릭터처럼 여자에게 일편단심일 것 같아서', 손예진은 '귀엽고 깜찍한 이미지라 끌린다'는 이유로 네티즌들은 이들 두 배우를 '데이트 0순위'로 꼽았다.

한편, 남자 2위는 탤런트 송일국(26.9%), 3위는 가수 비(20.8%)가 차지했으며 여자는 이나영(25%)과 윤은혜(20%)가 각각 2,3위를 기록했다.

['가장 데이트하고 싶은 연예인 1위'로 선정된 탤런트 현빈(왼쪽)과 손예진(오른쪽). 사진=마이데일리 사진DB]

(장서윤 기자 ciel@mydaily.co.kr)

Translated by SeReNiTy & Greentea in Huynbin Thread.

This is a poll result about 'Which celebrity u want to date most on July 7th '.

Anyway, voted by 1872 male and 1324 netizens, Binnie tops the male poll for with 34% followed by Song Il Gook 26.9%, Rain 20.8%. Son Ye Jin tops the female poll with 31% followed by Lee Nayoung 25% and Yun Eun Hye 20%.

The article basically says that there was an online poll asking the netizens who they want to date during "Qi Xi" [Chinese Valentine] (I'm not sure if this also applies for other Asian countries). The majority of the males (31%) chose Son Ye Jin, and the majority of the females (34%) chose Hyun Bin. biggrin.gif"

even though song il gook's number 2, it's still a big jump in popularity compared to a couple of months ago. I'm so happy that more ppl are finally noticing him!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey i juz discovered the existence of this omG darn unbelievable actor via Jumong.

if anyone want to see the interview, Come to play. It's a MBC variety show, the Song irl guk, Han hyae jin and that guy who acted as daesu went there to promote the show.

u will see song irl guk saying, "if han hyae jin sshi sings for me, then i will dance."

god he is so cute. itz the 060505 episode of come to play. Creidesca clubbox has the HQ version =D

i downloaded the 700mb version. anyone wanna see i can TRY to upload it =D

!!! I FOUND THE CUT VERSION ON YOUTUBE.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tbOsroou2Lk

Guest run_lola_run

^^ I remember watching that ep. when it aired on tv...omg...SIK is so painfully shy! He should have danced more intead of just shaking his booty...LOL. Poor guy, you can tell he didn't feel comfortable. Now the guy that plays Daeso...he knows how to move..hehe.

^^ I remember watching that ep. when it aired on tv...omg...SIK is so painfully shy! He should have danced more intead of just shaking his booty...LOL. Poor guy, you can tell he didn't feel comfortable. Now the guy that plays Daeso...he knows how to move..hehe.

hahahha YES!! he was soooo shy.. i wonder why? he is in the entertainment business for such a long time.. hahahha yet he is soooo shy infront of the live audiences... hahahha and his facial expressions were so cute.. hahahhaha

liquidfir, thank you for the link. ^^ yes, I've always thought he seemed pretty shy. I remember he said he had to ask friends to teach him how to flirt, for when he was doing Art Of Seduction. He's funny, too. But you saw that or yourself. :P You might want to see if youtube has any of his fanmeeting clips.

I haven't been able to see Jumong yet--maybe someday they'll show it on the other Korean channel we get. -.- I would love to see him do another historical drama. Kim Seung Soo is good too--he's the actor that plays Daesu.

Guest loving_D

http://www.sonyejin.org/members/picture/lovetechnic/05120404.jpg

Click here: Arts Of Seduction official website

does anyone by chance have the wallpapers from the official site? the site doesn't work anymore. i assume its because its old. but can someone post the wallpapers up please?

i love song il kook in jumong right now. hes so handsome in it. :)

I thought he was born in 1979...

not 1971...

He so doesn't look that old...

he's actually born in 1971...but he doesn't look 35 at all

thanks for the pics Aug 05...I saw an interview of SIK on Arirang's Showbiz Extra about that photoshoot of his and he's really into photography...he's been doing the hobby for the past 3 years I think and if you try to look for the behind the scene pics in the Jumong website, some of the pictures were taken by SIK himself!

before it's too late let me greet SIK a Happy Brthday today, October 1 :D

I wanted to say saeng il chuk ha hae too, not that he'll actually see this :P

Thanks for the pics, Aug05 ^^

I think he's one of those guys that get better looking (if possible) as they get older. And 35 is still young (he's a few yrs younger than me)--so that explains why he doesn't look old. lol Maybe someone will post pics from his birthday party--I have a feeling his fan club will be giving him one again, if he's able to be there. He always does some cute and funny things. I knew he was a photographer, too--but haven't seen any of his pics yet.

Guest run_lola_run

Happy belated birthday to Song Il Kook!!!!

35 isn't old at all...but he sure doesn't look it. The woman who plays his mother in Jumong is his same age but she looks a lot older than him, even out of costume.

Anyways, I like the fact that he's so shy and humble, not cocky and conceited. He's so refreshing to watch. He's like 13 years older than I am but I still find him a lot more attractive then some of the k-actors out there who are in their 20s.

• 2 weeks later...

so i finally know more about him from 'ju mong' and 'art of seduction', and "sad love song"mv. but this is kinda crazy. i might be wrong, but when i was rewatching 'all about eve' i think he was in there, playing a very minor role as one of the reporters on the drama. hehe.