Song Il Kook 송일국

KonaBeans

KONA, I also want to have the calendar by Pohoi.  Can you order one for me, please?  Send me an email regarding the price and cost of Shipping and Handling.  Thank you.
So, you did watch the video, huh?  I was the lady wearing a white dress, with black sweater and black strap around the waist, walking along the aisle, just before the ring bearer.  Thanks for watching.  It's always my pleasure to share my happy moments here and let you know more about me.  Remember when I posted my own picture here in Soompi?  Kish and Ajie did the same thing after that.  Lol!  It was a brave act on my part.
(If you want to see more of me and my family, go to my account in You Tube and watch our video there.)

Awww..always great to see a few pumpkin songie..truly lovely to see these..each halloween..v  Thanks kb..and gentle!  
lol..Yeah thanks to YOU and everyone who managed to meet him in Incheon..and added the photos here!   I was thinking wait..those look familiar AND the sunglasses(just notice now)!  lol..actually wondered if he's wore them at other races..he's done so many now!!  v   Yup..again after all these races/trip tours..he's gotta built up those muscles..by now!  ^__^   And it's good famous people don't need like 10 bikes to own!  Save the bills.. lol

:D..thank you dana..for your sweet words, have to give credits to Mr. Song..for making the art a bit more easier for us!!  He's such a  gentleman!  v

heey ardently, sounds like a fun trip to Vegas..hope it's great with families!  

OH dear..that's right charmy is from the East, hope she's okay!!  Thanks for the reminder..Dana..  We need a couple of ghostbusters....  praying more for them....

waves to Metal, sig, celiap, elisa, h2og, alex, gab....fightings!

alex, that's a wonderful idea to do a mini marathon in honor of SIK.  You've inspired me.  He's inspired me.  Now,,,,,To fill the days waiting for his new project, I'm pledging to be a healthier person.  Such as eating one healthy meal, walk a little longer or farther, and perform a kind deed to someone.  All dedicated to SIK.  

Last but not least:
Thank you to everyone sending their best wishes and prayers for Hawaii during the tsunami warning.  I would now like to send our hopes for a quick recovery to friends affected by Hurricane Sandy. 

I'm proud to post this review from an American viewer who's teaching English in Korea.
Another positive review for Fermentation Family.
Please take a few minutes to read.
It's worth it.

Fermentation Family  8149813817_f49def1637_o.png

Posted on
April 19, 2012 by Schwartz Teacher

photo261873.jpg

A couple of days ago I finished a Korean drama by the name of 발효 가족. Literally “Fermentation Family”, but it’s also translated as “Kimchi Family”, as fermentation is the process by which kimchi is created, and from a non-Korean perspective “kimchi” makes for an exotic enough title on its own. The show is, unsurprisingly, largely about food. The second and third lead characters are sisters whose familial legacy is a traditional Korean restaurant, 천지인 (Heaven, Earth and Man), located in a forested, mountain area. Many scenes in the series consist of food preparation, and there’s a strong intimacy in these scenes that makes the title’s difficult linguistic translation quite logical. The extended food preparation scenes are detailed to the point that you could probably reproduce the dishes yourself if you have a good enough culinary eye.

However, the camerawork is detailed far beyond simply being able to provide a kimchi preparation documentary. What really got me interested in this show was the cinematography. Nearly every shot is fantastic. The camera greatly captures the natural mountain environment. And even though winter has nothing to do with the plot (it’s just when they happened to film the show), the beauty of snowfall and its affect on surrounding landscapes is profoundly stated and well-integrated into the emotional feeling of the scenes. The work is probably a bit easier for me to appreciate, as I couldn’t focus on the actual dialogue as well a native speaker, but there are multiple scenes where there are no words. Only the camerawork, the ambient music, and the expression of the actors are used for communication, and this alone tells us quite a bit.

I suspect the director and editor have a lot of broad experience in this regard. What made me want to finish the first episode was a fight scene in the first episode where the main character fights a couple dozen other members of his gang all by himself. This scene moves literally at a very fast clip, and yet I fully understood everything that was going on. I even figured out the math and realized when the fight was over, simultaneously disappointed that the scene was so short and amazed that I understood everything that had happened so quickly. I should note, with some irony, that no other scene anything like this happens during the rest of the series. It was the hook that got me interested, and led me want to see more of the cinematography, performances, and obviously, plot.

The main character is a gangster by the name of Ho Tae. He sees a television report about the restaurant and is troubled by how familiar it is- he was orphaned at the age of four and remembers little about what happened to him before then. After a falling out with his gang he becomes involved with the restaurant to try and figure out what his connection is. This mystery forms the basis of the main plot. The rest of the story consists of multiple sub-plots, most of which don’t even have anything to do with the mystery. What they all have in common is solidarity with the story’s main narrative themes- regret, forgiveness, and acceptance.

The story isn’t really defined by extended conflict- the mystery behind Ho-Tae’s past is about as close we get to that, and that’s largely because the truth behind it is much more obscured than any of the other plotlines. Usually when an issue in the plot comes up, it’s more-or-less resolved after a few episodes. In the first episode, for example, one of the sisters is taking care of a baby that was abandoned at the restaurant. We find out exactly where the baby came from and why by the end of the second episode- and the denoument for this ties in directly to the themes I outline above.

All of the show’s dozen-or-more plot lines resolve in pretty much the same way along narrative themes, although the exact execution varies quite a bit. This might sound boring, and it is- if you define excitement as only being about conflict. What made this show interesting for me is that the plot manages to take resolution – usually the part of the story we care the least about – and makes it the part the viewer really wants to see. Not only did I find this very entertaining, when I thought about it, this was also perfectly logical. In real life, when we have serious problems like those faced by people on the show, we usually try to solve or at least come to terms with them quickly, because living in a state of uncertainty is very emotionally painful. The plot’s constant embrace of catharsis is a very sharp, hopeful relief against the tribulations that come from just living life.

Much of this is reenforced by the music. As mentioned earlier, there are plenty of scenes where there isn’t even any dialogue at all, so effective music is essential to the scenes working well. This isn’t just for the more emotional, introspective scenes, but also the upbeat tunes played during the cooking montages, and the rising action pieces for when the show hits a plot-critical moment. At all points the music does a great job. The closest the show comes to an annoying song is the love theme, although partially this is just because the extended “사랑해” (I love you) that makes up the chorus sounds over-the-top even to me. Once I get past this, though, and think of the song in terms of related movements in the love story, it ends up coming off quite sweetly.

Indeed, in less capable hands, I would have been rolling my eyes at this song. The love story here, though, doesn’t follow the typical romance tropes of passion, wackiness, and drama, though the first episode makes it seem as if this is what will happen. The build-up is very subtle. The intimacy of the characters is communicated primarily through hugs, hand-holding, and general precious moments that establish the strength and trust of their bond, even in emotionally difficult times. There are only two kisses throughout the series- however, one of these is without a doubt the greatest kiss I have ever seen on television. The emotional build-up really sells it- the elements behind the kiss are already in the story, we’re practically just waiting for it to happen. The camerawork and music just make it better. And even after the kiss is over, we get to see what the characters do for the next few minutes after the greatest kiss of their lives- it’s such good comedic fodder I’m surprised writers don’t use it more often.

I can strongly recommend Fermentation Family based on its interesting use of narrative elements coupled with the clear technical skills that were used in completing the production. Even as just general information on parts of Korean culture, it works rather well. Most Korean restaurants are not so elaborate as Heaven, Earth, and Man, but they’re about as rustic. Most importantly, though, there’s a strong sense of family and the importance of sticking together to get through the difficult times and make our own happier ones. It’s a very sweet message that’s all the stronger because it works in spite of the drama in the main plot. Indeed, the ending is uplifting not so much because of events in the climax, but rather because the ability of the characters to endure these difficulties makes it clear that they can take anything else that comes their way- though for the foreseeable future they won’t have to. I don’t know well actual Koreans do adhering to these ideals. I still greatly appreciate that this kind of thinking is being perpetrated as an ideal at all.

8149813817_f49def1637_o.png

http://teslsilla.blog.com/2012/04/19/fermentation-family/

http://www.hancinema.net/guest-review-fermented-family-49321.html

KONA, Thank you for posting William Schwartz's review to Fermentation Family. I like it and, yes, of course, although I'm extremely busy, I couldn't help translating and posting it on my Baby Blog. Thank you also for adding the link to hancinema.( I was wondering about the author's gender.)

Guest danasibro

1AZd3-141.gif?height=400&scale=max&width

Have to give credits to Mr. Song..for making the art a bit more easier for us!!  He's such a  gentleman!...You are right dear HWG...

eac15f3b_o.jpeg

Thank you dear KONA, Thank you for the link to hancinema and for posting William Schwartz's review. So lovely FF collectibles from Japanese fans, thank you dear Kona for posting them...I will sure find some time in December to rewach SIK's dramas

I'm extremely busy, I couldn't help translating and posting it on my Baby Blog..Dear Celia you made an excelent job and a lot of Romanian fans thank you every day fol all information your nice blog contains about SIK, thank you

If you want to see more of me and my family, go to my account in You Tube THank you dear ardent for sharing..., you have a nice family Remember when I posted my own picture here in Soompi?  Kish and Ajie did the same thing after that.  Lol!  It was a brave act on my part.On which page are the pictures you refer to. I remember at the begining when coming on soompi forum  I posted my own picture as avatar.

About our dear friend charmy 
We need a couple of ghostbusters....  praying more thank you HWG, Kona and Gabi for your concern for charmy. I saw pictures of charmy and she is a very beautiful lady and a great friend for all SIKers

Thank you to everyone sending their best wishes and prayers for Hawaii during the tsunami warning.  I would now like to send our hopes for a quick recovery to friends affected by Hurricane Sandy.  Thank you dear metal I would also like to do this

I think nothing happened to you dear Sig Hadise, Gabi, Alex,
h20g bechause they usually come daily on soompi forum...I missed them ...all my good wishes to all my soompi friend and to all SIKers around the word.

1AZd3-142.gif?height=400&scale=max&width

Guest danasibro

Who is mijjackie...do somebody know her...she has wonderful videos

some pictures from TOE I liked as a gift for SIKers

6b3db5c1_o.jpeg

An old video of mine...

http://youtu.be/TZnOGDPQfx8

1b237a0f_o.jpeg

ea25c9f9_o.jpeg

This is a favorite

• Emperor of the Sea/Sea God (KBS, 2004)
• Condition of Love (Terms of Endearment) (KBS, 2004)
• People of the Water Flower Village (MBC 2004)

http://youtu.be/pybrLOGvBxY

Can you tell me something about this photo dear Kona

925e2887_o.jpeg

Guest danasibro

This videos are about the compex personality of my favorite actor SONG IL KOOK (Fearless Fighter, Shining, elegant, exiting actor and Star, charming and GenTle Man) demonstrated in the last ten years in his exiting dramas Hard Love, Album of Life, Oasis in the Desert, Red Eye, Bodyguard, The Art of Seduction, Jumong, Emperor of the Sea, Lobist, Kingdom of the Winds, A Man Could God, Crime Squard, Fermented Family...and in his life singing, dancing, sports, manstar and ambasador of the korean drama.

Thank you SIKers

Thank you SIKers  so much for all you do; you all SIKers are truly a delight;
When my life overwhelms and does me in, you, make everything all right!
Thank you for the good times we shared, the days you filled with pleasure!
Thanks for fond memories and for your feelings  for SIK I'll always treasure!

I really appreciate the posts of all the SIKers ,your helpful, giving ways,
And how your generous hearts your frienship, love unselfishness displays.
Thanks for your kindness my charming dear frinds, I will not soon forget;
You...my dear SIKers are one of the nicest people I have ever met!

http://youtu.be/Oaur59H3ihw

http://youtu.be/CM4nESJIXEU

http://youtu.be/t_a4i0YhezI

Some pictures of SIK I like

34f9771c_o.jpeg

One of my favorite
8578032a_o.jpeg

Good night, sweet dreams...

dc2c4423_o.jpeg

KonaBeans said: I'm proud to post this review from an American viewer who's teaching English in Korea.
Another positive review for Fermentation Family.
Please take a few minutes to read.
It's worth it.

Fermentation Family  8149813817_f49def1637_o.png

Posted on
April 19, 2012 by Schwartz Teacher

Indeed, in less capable hands, I would have been rolling my eyes at this song. The love story here, though, doesn’t follow the typical romance tropes of passion, wackiness, and drama, though the first episode makes it seem as if this is what will happen. The build-up is very subtle. The intimacy of the characters is communicated primarily through hugs, hand-holding, and general precious moments that establish the strength and trust of their bond, even in emotionally difficult times. There are only two kisses throughout the series- however, one of these is without a doubt the greatest kiss I have ever seen on television. The emotional build-up really sells it- the elements behind the kiss are already in the story, we’re practically just waiting for it to happen. The camerawork and music just make it better. And even after the kiss is over, we get to see what the characters do for the next few minutes after the greatest kiss of their lives- it’s such good comedic fodder I’m surprised writers don’t use it more often.

KONA, this is the best part of the review for me.  Yes, thanks to SIK for making the above heart-felt kiss possible.  So sweet and tender, you could almost feel the sensous build-up of emotions between Ho Tae and Kang San.  They were able to display the exact feelings of the characters, having their first kiss.  So touching!  The looks in Ho Tae's eyes after the kiss, expressed a thousand meaning.  (Sorry, I still can't figure out how to type my message outside the quote.)
CELIA, I think the writer of the review was a male.  "William" is originally a man's name, unless it is just a "pen name".

Guest sig-Hadise

Hello Dear Fans Lovely Songilkook

danasibro said: 1AZd3-141.gif?height=400&scale=max&width
I think nothing happened to you dear Sig Hadise, Gabi, Alex,
h20g bechause they usually come daily on soompi forum...I missed them ...all my good wishes to all my soompi friend and to all SIKers around the word.

Guest elisabeta

Hello dear Sikers !
I am very sensitized....wow,Dana, ...you remind me of TOE...
I miss this series...I should review.... I saw TOE 3 times..
Thank you Pohhooi for Calendar. Is very nice. Soon he will sit on my desk.
Yesterday I finished the series The Barefooted Youth. It's great. I recommend this serie to love.
Romeo is the son of a Mafia boss. Juliet is the daughter of Chief Prosecutor.
Worth to see it.
I wish that this picture is of SIK's private life.....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5abNLVvc_yUMn_1DaLHB

High Wave to Everyone....
 It's D-13 for alex1999 with her Marathon Event... Aja Aja Hwaiting!!! Alex1999.jpg
The pencil sketch of Jumong is from @siggyfan which I found in this thread. Song Il Kook lost a lot of weight when he was filming "A Man Called God"
Here's an excerpt from the article...
Song Il-gook has really lost a LOT of weight in preparing for his upcoming drama, A Man Called God which will air next month. He really lives a healthy lifestyle as he is also a triathlete. He is really dedicated in the name of his craft.
Source:http://randomafterthoughts.wordpress.com/category/korea/korean-drama/page/4/

Guest danasibro

Thank you dear Kona Beans, Sig Hadise and Elisa!

I'm proud to post this review from an American viewer who's teaching English in Korea...The love story here, though, doesn’t follow the typical romance tropes of passion, wackiness, and drama, though the first episode makes it seem as if this is what will happen. The build-up is very subtle. The intimacy of the characters is communicated primarily through hugs, hand-holding, and general precious moments that establish the strength and trust of their bond, even in emotionally difficult times. There are only two kisses throughout the series- however, one of these is without a doubt the greatest kiss I have ever seen on television....no better abnd more beautiful words can be written about FF, thank you for sharing dear Kona Beans

the review is great and it was my pleasure to translate it.-thank you for the translation dear Celia

I saw TOE 3 times.. great dear Elisa I only saw the series twice, I remember it has 82 episodes. I miss also this series...I should review.

I will have examination about 3 months in the future ...I hope you will pass the examination sucwith successfully.
 Now,,,,,To fill the days waiting for his new project, I'm pledging to be a healthier person.Can you tell us more about SIK's new project dear metal

Thank you dear Gabi and ardent for apreciating the posts of SIKers.

fbb3bcdb_o.jpeg

Dear metaltiger, thank you for your kind words. I wish everyone to be healthier. So we can run after SIK ^_^ He is so strong and we should be strong as well. I'm trying to practice as often as I can. Every time during the jogging/running, it is like the God is testing you. You have to pass it. The first 2 k.m. is very hard (I thought I was dying) but after that, you will feel better.  When you complete it, you will feel great with all sweat. 

Dear Dana, thank you for your thoughtfulness. I'm normally busier on weekends.  I have to take my daughter to study extra class (mathematics and ballet). I would be on mobile. I don't like posting comment from mobile. It is hard to type and my comment will be too untidy. However, I always visit this forum from my mobile. I'm so glad that this thread is moving every day. Thank you for all your artworks and clips as always. I have not seen TOE yet. You've made me really want to watch it. Now I'm watching Lobbyist (Ep 8). SIK looks great as always.

Dear Kona, thank you for the review of FF.  I love the drama and so as my mom. She still has the DVDs. I wish to watch it again. I sometimes watch it on cable TV on Saturday. His acting is amazing. He is fit in every role.

Dear h2og, thank you so much for your wonderful artwork. You've made me feel so privilege. I'm actually having my tears right now. No word can describe my feeling.  I will do my best for the marathon. Thank you for everything.

Dear elisabeta, very cute photo of SIK and HGI. They both have happy families now. I love both of them. So TOE is my next drama to watch.

High wave to all SIKers. Love you all :x :x :x :x

@danasibro - thanks for caring... I try to manage my time so as not to neglect my personal commitments.  But I will stop by whenever I find the time!  Take care and have fun!!!  It goes for everyone in this warm & caring forum!!!

@KB - Thanks for your warm welcome!!  It's been a while since Tongyeong Triathlon but this Friday, we will have the upload from ktvstream from the actual training in Tongyeong.  I can't wait for it!  Thanks for those lovely pix of SIK's love of home decor in this thread....