[Drama 2021-2022] My One and Only Person / Just One Person, 한 사람만

0ly40

Finally the subbed eps through 8 have dropped, so it seems like a great time to binge and get caught up.  That is good but the filming being stopped is not good since the remainder episodes will not air on time.  Do we have any idea when episodes will cease to air?  It really worries me that we won't get to see the whole drama.  Since the ratings are so low, will they end the drama early just to save on production costs?  

• Like 2

I am liking this show. But with how the story has progressed so far I am wondering how they are going to stretch it to 16 episodes. Or at least stretch it and keep it good. 

The lead couple is my favorite, I am loving their chemistry. I know its about the three women but my favorite character is Woo-cheon. I've seen some screenshots of Ep 9 so I'm worried about him, but I won't know until the subbed ep comes out. I just want him to be happy at the end of this. 

• Like 2

This week's episodes were a gut punch. In-sook is gravely ill, and getting worse. She keeps passing out. And by confessing to the murder of Sana's father, she's now a serial killer suspect. All the officers just want to arrest her, except for Officer Jo, because he actually cares about the truth. He gets suspended by the captain for not following her orders

While passed out in the hospital, In-sook wonders if she should die or live to see Wu-cheon again. (Right before she passes out, she spoke to the female police officer who asked her why Wu-cheon went to see Ji-pyo, so she thinks Wu-cheon might have been killed.) But she wakes and and sees Wu-cheon again.

Aside from dying way too young, all three of the main ladies never got to live their full lives while they were alive. This is such a good show. So engrossing and emotional. It shows people in incredibly sad circumstances, but has... what I would describe as a clear-eyed, evenhanded approach. That even if you are at the end of your life, you can have dignity and grace. There are no histrionics or overwrought displays of emotion. Everything feels just really right and true.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

https://tenasia.hankyung.com/tv-drama/article/2022012376294

This is a Korean article talking about how the ratings are bad because JTBC has basically abandoned it. It has a "dead of night" time slot, and JTBC only reruns the show twice on Wed/Thurs at 9am, and no one watches TV at those times.

But the critical reaction is that it's a good, "well-made" drama.

Anyway, most of the article is about how JTBC is doing really poorly with their show's ratings.

--

My thoughts on this week.

It was lovely to see In-sook and Wu-cheon just *be* with each other. Everything is tinged with sadness, because she is visibly dying, but they both try so hard to keep their spirits up with each other, and you can feel that they truly love each other and how every minute with each other is so precious to both of them.

Story development-wise:

- Ji-pyo probably killed at least one more person, and I can't wait to see him get caught! (His dad seems pretty aware of what he is up to, but doesn't really care except to try and cover it up. Rich people are terrible as always.)

- Se-yeon is showing symptoms! She doesn't look good! I am sad. Even as she is pale and sick, she asks Mido about her new house.

Her mom thanks her lawyer-ex-girlfriend for being there for Se-yeon. About 15 years too late but ok.

Rotten husband realizes for the first time that his wife was amazing and took great care of his mother. Too late, Mister. (Just grant her a divorce and her fair share of your assets and please slink away.)

- Mido drives In-sook to meet with Wu-cheon and gives her money. They say goodbye to each other, maybe forever! But they promise to meet each other again! Maybe in heaven! GAAAAHHH, this show. :tears:

- Love the other three older ladies in the hospice, gossiping about the main three. "This one ran off to meet her boyfriend while being chased by cops! The other one is marrying a chaebol! And the other one likes girls! This is so fun I can't die!"

- Love the weird relationship that Wu-cheon has with the mom of the boy who bullied him and he accidentally got killed. All that hatred and anger towards each other, but now... it's unexpected and just really awesome. I really love this show.

- Love the head nun and Sister Veronica.

- Love the female detective Officer Hwang! She will save the day!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

Quick Poll: Participating in the Winter Olympics (Beijing - 2022)

•  

Dear Chingus, we are back with an exciting Quick Poll!:wow1:

Many of our favourite dramas will be on a hiatus. While we wait for our dramas to air, let us experience the thrill of Winter Olympics. Do participate in the poll and let us know about your favourite events that never fail to give you the adrenalin rush. :highonflowers:

re: @partyon @Sleepy Owl @agenth @confusedheart

A quick review of Korean media articles (there aren't a lot) are about how this is quite a good drama ("well-made" drama) but with terrible ratings.

I do admit that it is a sad drama. It was really heartrending to see the end of character Seong-hae, who went to the hospital to die alone after lying to everyone that she had been cured. She did this to give hope to everyone at the hospice - that there is no such thing as false hope, every shred of hope is worth so much when you are dying.

Beautiful-sad. Everything about this show is so beautiful-sad.

When In-suk read those words, "I want to live," and began weeping, I was crying, too. There's just no getting around the reality that this truly sucks for all of them.

Mido finally knows who Ji-pyo really is. I think she's going to be the one to blow this all up, to save In-suk and Wu-cheon.

Detective Hwang Ma-jin! You're the best!

Detective Jo! I know you've been suspended, but I didn't know that meant you've disappeared from the show completely!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

JTBC’s “The One and Only” has come to an end.

Due to the 2022 Beijing Olympics, JTBC’s “The One and Only” and KBS’s “Moonshine” did not air any episodes on Monday, February 7, airing two episodes back-to-back on Tuesday, February 8 instead.

According to Nielsen Korea, episodes 15 and 16 of “The One and Only” recorded average nationwide viewership ratings of 0.664 and 0.6 percent. The drama started off with ratings of 2.442 percent but saw a steady decline until it hovered in the 0-1 percent range for most of its run.

Read more: https://kdramabuddy.com/the-one-and-only-comes-to-a-quiet-end-in-viewership-ratings/#ixzz7KMjK3Tdb

• Like 1

Well, the show never recovered from its terrible ratings below 1%, so I guess it remains the best show I've seen with the lowest ratings!

I've read Korean media articles that speculate on why this show did so poorly. Some of the possible reasons:

- Ahn Eun-jin (In-suk) and Kim Gyeong-nam (Wu-cheon) were just not ready to be lead actors (I disagree, they were fantastic)

- Controversy! Kim Gyeong-nam was in the news for being a noisy neighbor right before the show aired, for which he apologized and honestly, I don't think that was such a big deal?

Also, Kang Ye-won (Se-yeon) is involved in some controversy due to her previous support for Song Jia (influencer who became famous for being on "Single's Inferno" reality show, later involved in scandals for wearing knock-off designer goods)

- JTBC gave it a bad time slot, and did not rerun it during the week except during times when no one watches TV

I guess there were many possible factors. Mostly, I think the biggest reason is the subject matter. It's bleak. It can't NOT be bleak. And people are just not in the mood for such a bleak story because... the world is VERY BLEAK right now.

I liked it. I felt like I saw something special, like a diamond in the rough that others have overlooked. I feel sure that the good performances in this show - by the leads and other actors as well - will be plus in their careers. (Joy, in particular, was sparkling!)

The final message of the show (text in the final scene) - "Everyone dies. The only difference is that some know when they will die, and others do not. Until that time comes, let's live a good life."

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• gm4queen changed the title to [Drama 2021-2022] My One and Only Person / Just One Person, 한 사람만