[Drama 2021-2022] Love Twist/Twists of Love, 사랑의 꽈배기 - Mon - Fri @ 19:50 KST

0ly40

So from my understanding of Haru's background, his mother is not listed as his mother even legally. Grandmother raised him until she died, and then uncle stole his inheritance and dropped him off at an orphanage. OH picked him up and raised him from there. At that point HO was already in America, but she didn't want to raise him. I think when talking about it she actually seemed mad that OH raised him instead of leaving him at the orphanage. Haru lived with OH and Sori until he graduated, which at that point KN kicked him out. They mentioned that HO gave money when he was in college, but it doesn't seem like they talk or have a relationship at all. Which is why Haru I think called her a sponsor at one point. I'm not positive but I think they mentioned that Haru and HO haven't spoken in years at the start of the series. 

5 hours ago, Lmangla said:

pork mom goes from having a disease of sharing (as others call it) to having grudges and actually counting every favor she got and received. so then none of that giving or sharing was from the heart right? who on earth keeps tabs for so long? this was more like a ledger of deeds. will she turn villain?

She didn't keep a list of everything she gave people, she kept of ledger of everything she received when she was poor from HO. She wanted to pay her back one day for everything so she kept track in an old journal. As far as the leech couple, she made that list off the top of her head. These were things they "borrowed" that she never insisted on them returning. But they were not gifts she gave them. 

• Like 3

Soompi Forums Awards: The best k-dramas of 2021? Please vote!

Now is your chance to show your love for your favorite dramas of 2021. In the Soompi Forums Awards poll you can vote for the dramas you liked the most last year. :kiss_wink:

Which dramas will be the winners?

winner-icegif-9.gif

Your Event Organizers,

@partyon @confusedheart @agenth @Sleepy Owl

• Like 2

7 hours ago, youactlikeicare said:

So from my understanding of Haru's background, his mother is not listed as his mother even legally. Grandmother raised him until she died, and then uncle stole his inheritance and dropped him off at an orphanage. OH picked him up and raised him from there. At that point HO was already in America, but she didn't want to raise him. I think when talking about it she actually seemed mad that OH raised him instead of leaving him at the orphanage. Haru lived with OH and Sori until he graduated, which at that point KN kicked him out. They mentioned that HO gave money when he was in college, but it doesn't seem like they talk or have a relationship at all. Which is why Haru I think called her a sponsor at one point. I'm not positive but I think they mentioned that Haru and HO haven't spoken in years at the start of the series. 

he does say that she is not his mother legally and hence justifies that as a reason to get with sori. their relationship is complicated to say the least. it was really striking that song mom endured extra beatings in order to send money for his university which is why she keeps stressing that she helped him out. he ofcourse has no context to what she went through in order to send him that money and dismisses it as simple finanacial sponsorship like a scholarship that he intends to repay. it is unclear if they kept in touch but definitely the pork mom did. am guessing that she forced them to occasionally chat? who knows.

rather than not wanting to raise him, it may be a case where she was not in a position to raise him. there was a throwaway line where she said that her husband started beating her  (more?) after he found out about haru. before pork dad can ask her questions, she changes the subject. so her choice to not take him into a domestic violence household may have been to protect him. from her reasoning, a stay at the orphanage where she could send money may have been more a safer option compared to a violent household. she did seem annoyed that pork mom took him in because she never asked her to and it puts her in a position of having to be grateful perhaps. she also said that she hasn't talked to her brother for years because of him bailing on haru. 

song mom is complicated and with each episode, we are seeing small bits of info that adds a different layer to what happened. she is not someone who offers any explanations and does not care if she is misunderstood, yelled or chewed out. she is hardened that she can endure beating without batting an eye. from the perspective of haru and others, she is an awful mom who abandoned haru but there are bits and pieces of the puzzle that show that the real picture may be far more complex and not as black and white. 

• Like 2

On 1/10/2022 at 12:10 AM, missyjojo88 said:

up. This is why she is all about following her heart and doesn't really reflect on the downside of her situation with Ha Ru. She lives a privilege life and so she is very naïve in thinking love is going to be enough for her and Ha Ru to have happy ending when in fact love comes

She's almost 30, how naive could she be? I didn't get the impression that she was naive in love or work. She was very determined to set up a company. Her confidence in her relationship makes her tolerate Yoon A's obvious attempts to lure HR. That's  a bit much to me. Confidence or no, there are other ways they could employ.

On 1/10/2022 at 1:53 AM, Lmangla said:

married some fellow chaebol? also, as a wedding gift to pork mom, she gave a set of spoons she won as miss korea. not new spoons or gifts but something she already had. so it looks like song mom and her family at that stage had already been in reduced circumstances. 

This is so strange to me. The first show I watched that had 'rich family went bust' was Phoenix. Perhaps it's true in Korea, but in many countries, the company may collapse but the personal wealth does not go to zilch. Unless one is talking about a Ma-Pa business that does not split business and personal properties. Still they have ways of hedging against creditors.

We may get the rape backstory soon. Why did they choose such an old actor for HR's dad?

15 hours ago, Lmangla said:

position of having to be grateful perhaps. she also said that she hasn't talked to her brother for years because of him bailing on haru. 

He swindled HR of his inheritance which I think came from the grandparents. 
The writer is setting up 'twists' here. The bad mum really is not bad, she did not abandon her child nor backstab her good friend. Just like Red Shoes, treachery after treachery, yet she loves second husband above everyone was revealed. Like what?? :loolz:Some twist.

• Like 3

Did all of her husbands beat her? Or just the most recent one.  I think I remember mentioning that HO had multiple husbands. That is why OH wanted to find out who she was dating, because the other husbands didn't work out. She wanted to make sure HO was dating someone good this time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maribella said:

This is so strange to me. The first show I watched that had 'rich family went bust' was Phoenix. Perhaps it's true in Korea, but in many countries, the company may collapse but the personal wealth does not go to zilch. Unless one is talking about a Ma-Pa business that does split business and personal properties. Still they have ways of hedging against creditors.

depends on the business. have heard of cases where folks went bust overnight and the kids had to drop out of universities as it was no longer affordable. so it is not uncommon. 

The writer is setting up 'twists' here. The bad mum really is not bad, she did not abandon her child nor backstab her good friend. Just like Red Shoes, treachery after treachery, yet she loves second husband above everyone was revealed. Like what??

am prepared for a gemma-esque showdown between haru and song mom. lets just hope that it does not keep happening with empty threats. ^_^

53 minutes ago, youactlikeicare said:

Did all of her husbands beat her? Or just the most recent one.  I think I remember mentioning that HO had multiple husbands. That is why OH wanted to find out who she was dating, because the other husbands didn't work out. She wanted to make sure HO was dating someone good this time. 

so pork mom said that this would be song mom's third marriage if she found a man. since they have no idea who haru's dad was -- that was likely attributed to a mysterious husband#1. maybe it was just explained that she got abandoned. or maybe there was another man she married after having haru? the one who beat her was husband#2. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lmangla said:

prepared for a gemma-esque showdown between haru and song mom. lets just hope that it does not keep happening with empty threat

I am sure you are right, but I don't want omma, omma, omma here, HO is really not likeable. If they changed her to a maternal figure at the end - Shocked Uh Oh GIF

I didn't watch the early episodes but OH must have been the soft touch for KJ's parents and a fussing type of friend of HO. Asking for everything back from them was probably the best she could manage. They had known about her husband and her best friend for a long time, but had kept it from her. She was backstabbed by all four of them, friends and husband. Soon they would be in - laws. 

Reminds me of VIP - Jang Nara's character lost her baby, her husband cheated on her, her mother abandoned the family, the mistress became a VIP. 

These writers just pile it on.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, joccu said:

well tomorrow haru and sori will find about the false parentage. 

That's going to really suck, but this drama needs a little kick to get things going. Hopefully Haru and Sori enjoyed their very short relationship. But I felt like they didn't really show much of their relationship if you really think about it.

• Like 5

Am I confused? Isn't HaRu the son of the old classmate? Isn't the DNA a setup? I'm too lazy to go back to ep20 to find out. Otherwise, how will the two ever get together?

I'm enjoying the drama. With the exception of a short period where it irritated me to death, I'm gonna enjoy this convoluted pile of birth secrets and affairs.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, joccu said:

@africandramalover  yeah the dna is a setup.  Sori dad is not haru’s dad. It all a big lie to cover the truth. 

And also he's a creep who cares nothing about his daughter's happiness. He sabotaged her company and he now faked HR's paternity. 

I hope SR keeps her distance from him after her marriage but it looks like the gold digger boy she married has become some big shot in her father's company. I don't think I like this writer but I'm curious about what he has planned for the ending.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, maribella said:

And also he's a creep who cares nothing about his daughter's happiness. He sabotaged her company and he now faked HR's paternity. 

first, she is an atrocious example of bad business and rich daddy's girl. he didn't have to sabatage her company because she did it herself. the entire reason for this company was haru. she was willing to wrap it up and move to US without much pangs about it. made my eyes roll. basically this was a project where the real goal was for both of them got to spend time with each other. she named her company 'twist' because he gave her twisted bread as a child. fish boy mentions that it is a silly name and brought twists of misfortune instead. not to be superstitious, but most people pay more attention to naming a business than randomly coming up with something. 

she had no concept of liquidity, assets or liabilities because parents were funding the full year this company was operational. she didn't have to worry about rent or food and did not ask any questions of how he was managing. it is not the point of the drama but these two are an example of why startups with lack of sense fail.

when you read articles about women enterpreneus, many of them put in years of hard work sometimes at the cost of their personal life and putting everything on pause in order to get the base running. they mortgaged all they owned. every day was a challenge because they had bet it all and there was not much financial backup from family as they can't afford it. instead, the family often could mostly provide emotional support. only once they have established themselves, many of them chose to look a partner and get married. that was the kind of dedication and passion. 

sori on the other hand was flaffing through the day without a care; what did she sacrifice? what did she have to worry about? nothing -- so let me repeat, this company was doomed to fail because neither sori or haru were willing or had any idea of the kind of hard work that is required to start a business or make it successful. neither did they talk the hard core details of business that one needs to have as partners. but then again, these two could not converse about anything real. and just as the parents are selfish, so are these two. neither are willing to even take a moment to consider how their actions will impact others. instead, it is all about their wants or as haru keeps saying, "it is my life!" 

3 hours ago, missyjojo88 said:

That's going to really suck, but this drama needs a little kick to get things going. Hopefully Haru and Sori enjoyed their very short relationship. But I felt like they didn't really show much of their relationship if you really think about it.

yes I agree; what they did show of the relationship basically felt like a bunch of teenagers/children having a crush and it carried through to adulthood without any real depth. it came across as super flaky and therefore, lacks any punch for me. but yea, I am looking forward to them breaking up. 

6 hours ago, maribella said:

I am sure you are right, but I don't want omma, omma, omma here, HO is really not likeable. If they changed her to a maternal figure at the end

song mom may not be likeable but she is interesting character to watch. much like I watched red shoes primarily for the villain couple, I am watching this drama for the trainwreck of parents. the writer is refusing to paint her as the evil third wheel and instead giving her dimensions to make her more than just black and white. so I am willing to bet there will be omma, omma, omma in the end.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lmangla said:

first, she is an atrocious example of bad business and rich daddy's girl. he didn't have to sabatage her company because she did it herself. the entire reason for this company was haru. she was willing to wrap it up and move to US without much pangs about it. made my eyes roll. basically this was a project where the real goal was for both of them got to spend time with each other. she named her company 'twist' because he gave her twisted bread as a child. fish boy mentions that it is a silly name and brought twists of misfortune instead. not to be superstitious, but most people pay more attention to naming a business than randomly coming up with something

A father who goes to the venture capitalist Next who is his friend and tells him not to invest in his daughter's company is a creep in my books. The fact that Next is willing to invest says that the sustainability of the company is acceptable to them. Whether she is from a well off family like Gates or a poor family like Jobs has no bearing in the future success of a company. 
I don't see the name being an issue, compare Google? Amazon? Alibaba?

with the more staid Hewlett Packard, Sun, Compaq.

successful. neither did they talk the hard core details of business that one needs to have as partners. but then again, these two could not converse about

It's kdrama using an IT startup to tell the story of at least 8 persons in a tangle. It is not a business tv programme.  The same thing we had Red Shoes, nobody told the viewers what shoe making was. The very famous chicken of the what's his name was just fried. What made it surpass KFC or Mc D perhaps? We did not know.

There was another show with an IT theme. The winner had a better product. 
So I see their company as product based. Presumably a winning product designed by HR.

song mom may not be likeable but she is interesting character to watch. much like I watched red shoes primarily for the villain couple, I am watching this drama for the trainwreck of parents. the writer is refusing to paint her as the evil third wheel and instead giving her dimensions to make her more than just black and white. so I am willing to bet there will be omma, omma, omma in the end.

He has to write twists in everything, that's his selling point. We are going to have a kumbaya ending just like all dailies, so the bad person may turn out to twist into OH, the jilted wife. Or she may also be grey. 
HO's character was made out to be fun and undemanding, which reminds me what an old friend said about mistresses.

They are undemanding and grateful as hell.:hwaiting2:

The chart says they are getting married, that would be interesting. But I forbid you writer from extending it, understand.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Blob 1

25 minutes ago, maribella said:

A father who goes to the venture capitalist Next who is his friend and tells him not to invest in his daughter's company is a creep in my books. The fact that Next is willing to invest says that the sustainability of the company is acceptable to them. Whether she is from a well off family like Gates or a poor family like Jobs has no bearing in the future success of a company. 
I don't see the name being an issue, compare Google? Amazon? Alibaba?

with the more staid Hewlett Packard, Sun, Compaq.

my point was that she was willing to give it up far too easily for love. it is clear that business was never her intention. it was just to be with haru. so her father sabotaging or not sabatoging actually didn't matter because she would have done it anyway. her coming from a rich famiy meant she was very naive when it came to things like thinking about liquidity. everything was too easy for her. you could argue he sabotaged it but he also bankrolled it for a year. he was already telling her to stop goofing off and come into the company fold. she has never had a setback or really been told no. so it doesn't strike her when something happens. she actually doesn't care that much about the business. so why cry like it matters? because she didn't get her way. shrug. and also, the capitalist Next was not his friend. he was actually a former partner which ended on bad terms. so he would have withdrawn the investment the moment he realized whose daughter she was. 

in regards to the name thing, this is totally cultural. but in my place, people are very careful when it comes to names and that includes children. because names aren't just names. it is about what you hope for your child and so people will ask about the meaning and your intention when you reveal the baby's name. same with business ventures. is it named after a parent for example or some sort of theme? so it felt really striking when fish boy mentioned that she had jinxed herself by naming it twist -- I can understand that kind of sentiment. but like you had mentioned, sori also argued with haru that all these company names have no meanings and so who cares... 

• Like 2

okay this PD is bizarre to say the least. I was cracking up that there is happy lounge/travel music when pork mom is going mad with rage and throwing things around. what????? why are we having cheerful music when she is throwing things around??? :lol: then, it cuts to no music during the conversation between the two ladies and there is more dramatic sad music when pork mom goes away defeated. the music choice in this drama is really like whiplash. am not sure what is the mood the PD is trying to set with the music cues. are we supposed to see all of this as some sort of relationship farce????

also sori thinking it is a wonderful idea to get cabbage girl to be their witness. umm, what??? face palm. there is naive and there is insensitive to the point of being mean. 

Judge Judy Reaction GIF by Agent M Loves Gifs

He has to write twists in everything, that's his selling point. We are going to have a kumbaya ending just like all dailies, so the bad person may turn out to twist into OH, the jilted wife. Or she may also be grey. 

hahahaha... pork mom turning evil or grey -- might be interesting no? song mom says sarcastically "you are the angel and I am the devil" -- maybe the twist is they will exchange places?

can someone give their impressions regarding what song mom revealed -- I wasn't sure if I understood what she was saying. so the original target/obsession of rapist was pork mom? because she tried to protect her friend, he turned on her and raped her? was that what she was saying? 

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

On 1/11/2022 at 5:43 PM, Lmangla said:

my point was that she was willing to give it up far too easily for love. it is clear that business was never her intention. it was just to be with haru. so her father

That's why it's a romance/melodrama, love conquers everything.  What if a man gave up his promotion for his family so they do not have to relocate?  Same thing here. He values his family. HR gave up his job you say to start a company with her, now she gave up her dream to be with him. That is so sweet. :heart4:

Although all that will come to nought because of their adulterous parents. 
I maintain that father is a creep and a treacherous father. Next called them back because they had a reevaluation.   If he had supported her effort and the Next man rejected her because of the father then I would say he is not a creep or he is not treacherous to the daughter, only to the wife.

On 1/11/2022 at 6:24 PM, Lmangla said:

can someone give their impressions regarding what song mom revealed -- I wasn't sure if I understood what she was saying. so the original target/obsession of rapist was pork mom? because she tried to protect her friend, he turned on her and raped her? was that what she was saying

No, he ran into her walking in some dark alley. Next scene, then she was walking away crying, hair and clothes were neither disarranged nor torn. She ran into KN. All of them in their 80's and pretending to be in their early 20's. That was so ugly. Sorry, nothing against old or old looking people, but pay some youngsters. They need the exposure anyway.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

21 minutes ago, maribella said:

That's why it's a romance/melodrama, love conquers everything.  What if a man gave up his promotion for his family so they do not have to relocate?  Same thing here. He values his family. HR gave up his job you say to start a company with her, now she gave up her dream to be with him. That is so sweet.

haahahah... sorry if man gave up his promotion for his family, I would call that dumb. I don't see anything wrong with relocation as family will benefit more financially as well as gain different life experiences. so different perspectives; also I don't think giving up a dream for anyone is sweet, it just makes people bitter after 20 years! :lol: I don't know how many aunties I have heard rue their choices. love does not conquer everything. you lose some to gain some. at times it is okay but at other times, people go on to regret it. so we can just agree to disagree on love conquering all hahahahaha. :D 

21 minutes ago, maribella said:

All of them in their 80's and pretending to be in their early 20's. That was so ugly. Sorry, nothing against old or old looking people, but pay some youngsters. They need the exposure anyway.

hahahah... I was kind of relieved they were playing younger themselves. I can barely keep track of the number of characters in this drama. I would have found it harder if those parts were also by youngsters and I had to figure out who was who. :lol:

• Like 2
  • LOL 1