Zhang Hui Wen as Lin Shufang
Yang Rong as Zeng Baoqin
Kara Hui as Chen Xiaohong
Mao Zi Jun as Wei Lianggong
Xu Hai Qiao as Ren Xuetang
Li Yi Nan as Ren Rufeng
Wang Yu as Li Zhao

Synopsis:

The story revolves around two women who are mortal enemies, who put aside their grudges and work together to promote the culture of Damask (a rich, heavy silk or linen fabric with a pattern woven into it, used for table linen and upholstery).

During the Yonggan period of the Qing Dynasty, the weaving industry of Gu Su was considered as the leader of its trade. Their Silk Hand Embroidery Art and Tapestry were often presented as court tributes. The Ren family of Su Zhou Manor were put in charge to lead the manufacturing process of the industry, and they possess the special weaving technique passed down from ancestors. Ren Xuetang, head of the Ren family, was gentle and refined; while his wife Shen Cuixi is the opposite. Firm and decisive, she is able to manage the house properly and also possess outstanding weaving skills, thus earning a reputation as the "Leading Lady of the Family". However due to unforeseen circumstances, Ren Xuetang met with an accident while chasing water bandits and investigating the illegal trade of silk, and his whereabouts became unknown. Shen Cuixi bears with the sadness of losing her husband, and decides to try her best to preserve the Ren's family secret silk-making technique and the family's only bloodline. She decides to work together with her former enemy Zeng Baoqin, joining forces to weather the storm and face the challenges ahead of them. Finally, her efforts paid off and Ren Xuetang peacefully comes back. After going through turmoils and struggles over the years, Shen Cuixi did not want to live the complicated life anymore, and decides to entrust the Ren family to Zeng Baoqin.

Source: dramawiki

**Please use spoiler tags for those who have not seen the episodes yet**

Preview:

OSTs:

Coming soon...

Additional Links:

Coming soon...

RULES of SOOMPI
Don't post any requests for subs! Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images. Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately. Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam. Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, etc. should be reported to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.  PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE!

For any Issues and Abuse
Please report to @SC2019

My Dearest @SC2019, you are An Angel!.  Thanks for creating this Thread.  

:fullofhearts:

I stumbled upon this Drama last evening.   And OMG, it is so Good - right from the Very First Second.  For once, I never Press the "Forward Button".  And no need to wait & see if it gets better.  I don't want to miss out anything.  This is what we call "A Good Drama".

Everything is done well: The Set, Colours, Camera Works, Lightings, Costumes, Make-Ups, Excellent Actings.  No dubbing.

That was only Ep 1.  I'll continue to watch.

I hope to see more people coming on board this Thread

:heythere:

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

I just finished Ep 3.  And it is still good.  This Drama moves at a Steady Pace. No unnecessary delays or watering.  

But in Ep 3, sometimes I do "Forward" it.  Because I don't like the Second Female Lead.  I've seen her in "Love For Three Lifetimes"  and I don't like her that much.  Just a personal preference.  Nothing to do with this story.

I like the Female Lead - the Wife.  It is a Triangular Love Story.  The Second Female Lead is the Concubine.

The Wife is a Good, Capable and Fair Woman. She is the one who holds the Family together in times of Crisis -  with her Business Acumen and Personal Strength.   But not beautiful and not good at "simpering".  Her Husband has Respect, Gratitude and Loyalty for her.

The Second Female Lead has her man's affections........     I shall not divulge more.  Lest I give away too much...

:crazymad:

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

The overall production remind me of "Nothing Gold Can Stay". It too deals with women taking on more of a male role and being the provider. 

For some reason I'm not as compelled to continue watching this. In NGCS there's a solid cast which includes Betty Sun. The writing is also better in the former. 

The cast in this drama are not familiar to me LoL but they do a decent job I suppose. It's just not appealing to me for some reason.

@Latte_Anyday  Different people, different strokes :lol:

I'm Not a fan of Betty Sun.  The only drama of hers I've watched is "Legend Of Zhen Huan".  Even then I couldn't help lamenting that I would have enjoyed it better if another actress has taken her  Role.  Towards the end of Zhen Huan, her Make-Up is too thick.  For me, her Features are "too Sharp and Fierce" - not endearing.  Her "Mole" in the Middle & Under her Lower Lips is very distracting to me.   I don't like to look at her. It is just for me.  I know she is very popular and a lot of people likes her.  So.... pls forgive me for expressing my personal opinions.

So far I'm happy with this Drama.  Most of the Ladies here are decent people: 

- the Female Lead is a Reasonable Person.  Very innocently commited towards her Husband and his Family

- the 2nd Female Lead is not the die-hard "B...." type

- her mother-in-law has passed away.  But the Secondary Mother-in-Low (they have more than 1 wives those days) is also a nice person.  At least up to ep 12.  I don't know if she will change her "skins" later.

- the Male Lead and Second Male Lead are also Likable.

The Plot is unlike  other typical Triangular Love Type of Dramas.  Their Family's Conflict is more with the External, Political Force.  So I gather the Family will Unite to deal with it.  The Angst Part is coming.  But I'm looking forward to it

• Like 1

Emmm...watched 3eps already and I don't know if will continue. I should say the quality of the production itself  is very good in general. However I can't find any character I like here. IMO they are all relatively dull, boring and predictable :mellow:, and the story is soooo slow...

I addition,  I'm not a fan of "harem-concubine" kind of stories. 

Very sad, since I'm a dedicated fan of Xu Haiqiao and was looking forward for this drama.

• LOL 1

@leo2020  Don't continue if you find it a Torture.  

It is good for me.  I don't find it slow at all.  There is isn't much of a Harem. Bcos the ML has only 2 women.  And so far, the Concubine has Not gone thro the Wedding Procedure yet.  So she is staying in another house.   A Harem must consists of at least 4 and more wives.

I'm at Ep 13 already.  So far this Drama has brought up the Women's Issues of :

a) Gossips about a Lady Matriach. Must be harsh on others. Must be a bad person

b) The Husband has been missing for 7 long years.  A Live-In, Male Teacher for the son could trigger Gossips about their relationship.  For a Man people will only say he is a Playboy.  For a Woman of that Era, the punishment is Death

c) A Man can remarry.  A Woman from that Era cannot

I cannot enjoy those silly, idol love dramas.  So many of them out there.  The same Theme being repeated time and again.  I don't see any Quality Acting.  The Actresses were just acting Cute most of the time.  The Xian Xia Dramas are also the same.

My only Grouse with "Marvellous Women" is the Styling for the Female Lead.  It makes her  looks unreasonably "Old".  Especially when she is out on the Boat with the Second Male Lead 

3 hours ago, hush puppy said:

Don't continue if you find it a Torture.

@hush puppy I'm not sure yet. Wgat if the story gets better?))). But it's definitely not a torture, since one of my favorite actors is in it and he is not dubbed for once). 

ML has only 2 women

Only? :D 

OK, there is no need to argue there, I totally get that these practice was a part of that era and a normal thing. I just expressed my own opinion and that I have not much interest into that kind of dramas. Sometimes in the drama that stuff is just a plot scenery and does not effect the main plot ,  so I gladly watch it if I'm interested. However dramas like Story of Yanxi Palace make me :confounded:

My only Grouse with "Marvellous Women" is the Styling for the Female Lead.  It makes her  looks unreasonably "Old". 

Oh, I'm totally with you on that, 100%. She looks the best when she is in bed with no makeup and that clothes that make her look like a granny). 

By the way, would you please kindly use spoilers, since we all are at different episodes of the drama,ok?)))

4 hours ago, leo2020 said:

@hush puppy I'm not sure yet. Wgat if the story gets better?))). But it's definitely not a torture, since one of my favorite actors is in it and he is not dubbed for once). 

Only? :D 

OK, there is no need to argue there, I totally get that these practice was a part of that era and a normal thing. I just expressed my own opinion and that I have not much interest into that kind of dramas. Sometimes in the drama that stuff is just a plot scenery and does not effect the main plot ,  so I gladly watch it if I'm interested. However dramas like Story of Yanxi Palace make me :confounded:

Oh, I'm totally with you on that, 100%. She looks the best when she is in bed with no makeup and that clothes that make her look like a granny). 

By the way, would you please kindly use spoilers, since we all are at different episodes of the drama,ok?)))

@leo2020 

1) OK Sure. I'll put the Spoilers on.  Previously I didn't use bcos I see hardly anyone is watching. 

2) You like Yanxi Palace?  I don't like it. Because they don't follow History.  And I don't like the FL.  I avoid her Works since.

3) If you have a little bit of interest in this Story, then continue.  I must say it touches my Heart.  I love Stories with "Depth";  which tug at my Heartstrings.  I won't say anymore.  Lest I spoil it for you.

5 hours ago, hush puppy said:

You like Yanxi Palace?  I don't like it. Because they don't follow History.  And I don't like the FL.  I avoid her Works since.

No, I certainly don't, bcs of "harem stuff" (may be my English is not good enough to express myself clearly,  sorry for that). Can't comment on FL since I haven't seen any of her other work ). 

If you have a little bit of interest in this Story, then continue.  I must say it touches my Heart.  I love Stories with "Depth"

Wow, that sounds really sweet).

Previously I didn't use bcos I see hardly anyone is watching. 

I came as soon as I have anything to comment re the story:wub:. Unfortunately, I have 4 ongoing dramas I follow right now, so I'm really slow with the watching progress :)

On 11/16/2021 at 2:38 PM, Polly said:

I just finished ep 15 and loving the show very much :wub:

@Polly  Hi !  Glad to hear that you like this drama.  Would you like to share your thoughts - what you like about it?  

If you are not one who looks for idols, beautiful actresses or hypes.   If you are more for the Plot and Quality Acting then you will like this work.  As the title suggest, this drama deals with Women's Issues.

I'm up to ep 18

Spoiler

Ep 17 and 18:

Makes me reflect on:

- The common ancient belief (even now to some extent) that "Man is your Sky; The Rest is Nothing".  It is very dangerous for women to think that way.  A woman should always maintain and be Guided by her own Independent Thoughts and Convictions.  And not submit her entire "Soul" to a Man

- The Danger of Gossips and Rumours and how it can easily Destroy a person.   People want to believe them, even if they are False

- You won't know a Man well until you have married him. 

- How a Person can change easily by an offer of Social Status and Wealth.  Gratitude?  It will quickly be forgotten. (I'm refering to Ding Rong - Qiao Er's husband).  He just gets Worse and Worse).

- A Righteous Person who dares to stand up against Injustice will have to bear the Full Brunt. While those Cowards who hide behind this Person will stand to reap the Benefits.  Is it worth it to be a Hero then?  No right or wrong answer.

Shen Cui Xi finally discovered "Love".  Suddenly she can feel.  And can confidently embroider the famed "Love Ducks".  Shen Cui Xi and Wei Liang Gong are in love.  But Wei Liang Gong died.

But this brings Shen Cui Xi and Bao Qin together to fight against the Corrupted Minister Li Zhao.  

• Insightful 1

@hush puppy

Thanks for sharing your views. I agree with you. The good script and solid acting really evokes the emotions and oppressed feeling women must have felt during the Qing dynasty. While the drama is not very long (total ep 35) it manages to introduce various characters and their backstories in a balanced way. I like that the script is largely realistic. Nobody in this drama is perfect or thoroughly bad. The characters are multi dimensional. I've watched up to ep 22 and I'll continue in the Spoiler section to not spoil it for those who've not watched this far yet. 

Spoiler

There are a few parts that stood out for me:

1. The scene where SCX was alone in the bed crying when RXT and ZBQ were spending the night together. I felt her loneliness and the agony of a gloomy prospect of spending the rest of her life in emotional neglect. 

2. The love between SCX and WLG. Although shortlived, it was pure and beautiful. Some couples get to spend a life time together but will never reach the blissful state they had of mutual affection, understanding and respect. 

3. My initial impression of Rufeng's mother was a bit of an air head and wimp. But gradually you learn that she is actually a strong woman capable of scheming and bravery for survival and to protect those she loves. 

4. I also like that the problem plots don't get resolved too easily but yet don't feel draggy. That's the issue I had with shows like Yan Xi where the heroine was super intelligent, capable etc and could resolve any problem effortlessly. As viewers you get instant gratification but it's not realistic. 

5. The 3 elderly uncles, LSF's brother, LZ and CWB are irritating but they serve a purpose. They remind us of the weak and unequal position women were in during the Qing Dynasty. Once your husband dies. You can be anytime discarded, especially when you don't have a son or worse be sold off as a slave by your family, indecency rumours will only seriously affect women but not the men etc. 

• Love 1

(Posted on: Sunday, 21 November 2021)

On 11/20/2021 at 3:00 PM, Polly said:

@hush puppy

Hide contents

There are a few parts that stood out for me:

3. My initial impression of Rufeng's mother was a bit of an air head and wimp. But gradually you learn that she is actually a strong woman capable of scheming and bravery for survival and to protect those she loves. 

4. I also like that the problem plots don't get resolved too easily but yet don't feel draggy. That's the issue I had with shows like Yan Xi where the heroine was super intelligent, capable etc and could resolve any problem effortlessly. As viewers you get instant gratification but it's not realistic. 

5. The 3 elderly uncles, LSF's brother, LZ and CWB are irritating but they serve a purpose. They remind us of the weak and unequal position women were in during the Qing Dynasty. Once your husband dies. You can be anytime discarded, especially when you don't have a son or worse be sold off as a slave by your family, indecency rumours will only seriously affect women but not the men etc. 

@Polly I'm glad for your company.   Re: 3. I'm surprised you find Rufeng's mother strong.  Are you sure you are refering to the right person?  I don't find her strong at all.  

4. Yan Xi Palace is Nonsense.  It is a Mockery of Chinese History.  Westerners love it because they do not know nor understand China's history well. Elsewhere people who likes to be entertained enjoyed it. Which is why it became the most popular Chinese drama at that time.

I don't like the Female Lead at all.  The way she talks is like she needs a lot of efforts with her mouth.  I get so tiresome watching her talks.  I avoid her works since.

I prefer "Ruyi's Royal Love In The Palace".  They both refer to the same Story and Period.  Zhou Xun and Wallace did a better job.  The sobriety is there.  "Ruyi's Royal Love In The Palace" has more Class.  

5. I agree with you on the 3 Uncles. Hardly surprising. It is not just because of the Era.  But also basic human qualities : Greed, Selfishness, Narrow-mindedness.  These kind of thoughts are still very prevalent in our 21st Century and Age of 5G's.  Human narrow-mindedness and their stereo-typing of women stays the same. Difference only in Degree.

I'm up to Ep 24:  The Court Trial seeks to embarass and humiliate Cui Xi into submission. I.e. attacking a Woman's Reputation.  And the audacity of the Magistrate's Wife to do the same.  It is the same in present day society.  No difference.  Maybe different methods and systems.  But basically society remains the same about women.  

A good example is the Kris Wu Case.  How society in general, even women attack the Female Whistle Blower.  Until Kris is jailed. Her reputation is stained.  She has to drop out of University. It will be very difficult for her to have a successful career.  Her reputation will follow her.

Kris Wu is not the only case.  There are countless cases of Male Stars in the Chinese Entertainment circle, cheating on their GF; Physically Abused their girls and still Popular. Beneath the surface, there are a lot of unrevealed cases involving respectable bizmen, politicians, ordinary men from all strata of society. And these men are still behaving like Saints.  All over the World are  the same.

So yes. nothing much has change for women.  Only in different packagings that's all.  So I'm glad to see the women in this Drama, in this family coming together in times of Crisis.  

But it looks like Cui Xi will eventually leave the Marriage and Family to the 2 Lovers.  While she seeks an Independent Life elsewhere.   Good for her.  But very pitiful after all her Sacrifices and having devoted the Best Part of Her Youthful Years  to this family

The Male Lead of this Drama is having an Easy Life.  Being missing all the time :lol:

Note: I've decided not to use Spoilers.  There are hardly anyone watching.  It is ridiculous to use Spoilers.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

(Posted on: Tuesday, 23 November 2021)

@Polly Hi, have you watched eps 25 and 26?  Ep 26 is very exciting.  

Ep 25:

Minister Li Zhao is so evil.  He secretly loves Bao Qin.  That's part of the reasons why he is bent on destroying the Ren Family. Bcos Bao Qin & Ren Xue Tang are childhood sweethearts. He even buys up all the Medicine that Bao Qin needs.  So that she will be dependent on him.  Another reason is of course to cover up the Financial Shortfall - his Corruptions.  But imo, all these reasons are merely Excuses.  Human Beings don't have the Guts to own up to their Weaknesses.  Making up excuses is the Easiest Way Out.  Li Zhao is no exception.

Ep 26:

We continue to see the Selfishness of people  in general.  Refuse to help others in times of difficulties. Even if that person has been their Benefactor.

Cui Xi almost died for nothing.  Thankfully  Xue Tang (ML) came back with the Governor, in the nick of time to save her.

After that, he refuses to reveal the reason why he did not return home for 7 years.  But we all know it is His Cowardice - his Inablity to handle Domestic Affairs, especially that of his 2 Women.  From then on, we will be told the Story of their childhood and adolescence years leading to their Adult Hood.

From this drama, we can see Women are actually the Stronger Gender.

In Ancient Times:

Women live under Enormous Restrictions and Taboos. They make it through

Current Times: are no difference.  On the surface it looks like things have change for the better.  But have they? Really?

Whether in Corporate Management Positions, Heads of Nations, within the Family with the In-Laws, Parents and other areas, Men continue to be favoured.  And we continue to see and hear the same old stories.....

Special Note:  I like the Child Actor, Xiu Shan.  He is good-looking, cute and an Awesome Actor.  Each time I see him, I felt like hugging him and pinching his cheeks.  China has a lot of Capable Child Actors (including Actresses)

Waiting to hear your Feedbacks.

• Like 2

@hush puppy I just watched until ep 28.

- RXT's last minute appearance at the execution site JUST before SCX was about to be executed was predictable. But I liked SCX's reaction when he ran over and tried to hug and put the cloak on her. The disbelief, agony and anger in her face. I liked that she pushed him away (especially after WLG) and hit him. During that scene, I still gave RXT the benefit of the doubt, as he may have valid reasons to MIA for 7 years. But then, when the real reasons were revealed, I thought that's just incredible lame and unrealistic (I'm very disappointed in the scriptwriters). So basically he didn't want to return because he loves both women, didn't want to choose between SCX and ZBQ.....(huh?).....It doesn't make sense in an ancient backdrop where it was a convention for rich men to have multiple women. I believe RXT's character set-up is flawed. In the initial episodes, we were made to believe that his one and only love is ZBQ. That's why he has been emotionally and physically neglecting SCX. And now, suddenly he is ALSO in love with SCX??? This is just lazy scriptwriting. If he had been in love with both, then he could have equally divided his time and affection to both. The key is to be FAIR. Knowing SCX and ZBQ characters they would then have accepted it.

- RRF let his brother off way too easily. His mother died and wouldn't have if his brother didn't MIA for 7 years. But I attribute RRF's mild reaction to him feeling quilty for causing the problems with the smuggler. 

- I wonder if ZBQ had sex with RXT when they slept together. If she did then that could have been a way for her to validate their feelings. Maybe afterwards she realised that her love for him has simmered down and that his affection towards her also changed. That's why he moved to the study room. 

- RRF and LSF's push and pull relationship is getting tiring to watch. I hope it gets resolved by ep 29 and they don't get other relationship issues again. 

- The failed marriage proposal part about ZBQ's maid and RXT's helper felt like a filler. 

• Like 2

Just finished ep 30.  I love it.  But I would not express my views for now.  I will do it when I'm really free and ready. So that my thoughts will do Justice to this story. 

@Polly  You can go ahead and state your first :P

Hi  @whome  If you like this Drama, why don't you  share your Opinions with us?  We would love to learn from your insights too

@hush puppyjust finished ep30. Some quick thoughts:

- ep 29 & 30 are more aligned with the initial narrative of RXT feeling indebted to SCX but ZBQ being his one true love. Thought it was hilarious for him to propose to impregnate SCX with a son, so that he can leave with ZBQ and their son to life elsewhere. And, he was actually thinking that this would repay SCX and he was doing her a favour.... Omg lol. 

- i liked that they resurfaced WLG again. And, the fact that RXT found out about his existence was satisfying. This teaches him that he is not the centre of SCX' universe. Especially, the part that only WLG managed to 'open' SCX heart and helped her to achieve the next level of weaving was good. It shows that he has failed. 

- Liking the liberated SCX very much. Can't wait for tomorrow's episodes to see how she overcomes those prejudiced and narrow minded people. 

• Like 1

(Posted on: Friday, 26 November 2021)

@Polly  Only now I have the time to write my thoughts.  I agree with what you said. In addition I would like to add some more.  And I would like to dedicate it to Ep 29. Bcos it is so Precious.

Ep 29:

1) I'll start with saying that they should have cast a younger actress for the FL.  No. I'm not against Older Women /Actresses.  It is to stay true to this Story. Cui Xi is not much older than Xue Tang. At the most 2 or 3 years. So why cast an Actress who is so much older than the ML? It makes no sense

2) Cui Xi has her own plans. She wants Bao Qin to take over the Household. First is bcos she thought she is going to die.  That's why she made Bao Qin learn her embroidery skills and take over the household accounts.

But now it is bcos she wants to be Free.  But outsiders just jumped into the Conclusions that Cui Xi is too embarrassed to head the household now.  Human Nature is never naturally  kind to others.

3) What Xue Tang suggested to Cui Xi is very typical of Men - even current day Men. Which is why Men often say that "They Can Never Understand Women".  To me, that is just an excuse not to understand Women.

Men think that Women Only Want Material Needs.  That is why they give Women:

- a Home

- bring home the Money

And they have done their Part.  What more you Women need?  What else to complain? That is how Men and Society in general think.

But Women needs Emotional Fulfilments too.   Which is why "Never The Twain Shall Meet"

And that is exactly what happens when Xue Tang suggested to give Cui Xi a Child.... and the entire Household.  While He leave with Bao Qin. Perfect Solution !

-  He thought he is So Generous

-  But to a Woman, that is An Insult to Her Dignity!  That is Abandonment!

4) Xue Tang complained about Cui Xi's embroidery skills being bland and "SOUL-LESS". To me it is just like a Modern Day Man feeling that His Wife is not Exciting enough. So they go and have another relationship outside.  It is the same.  Xue Tang didn't understand that it was all His Fault: 

- He didn't Love and Nurture her.  He didn't appreciate her.  We always compare a Woman to A Flower.  A Man to be the Leaves and Thorns protecting the Flower.  Or Bees being attracted to the Flower.

(But if Xue Tang didn't take care of her;  didn't "water" her;  didn't nourish (apply fertiliser) her.  How can he expects Cui Xi to feel and bring Life to her Embroidery - to her Art?  How can the Flower Bloom?)

As Cui Xi realises.  She was like that because she is always Living For Others:

- for her mother-in-law's Compliments.

- for her husband's Approval

Which brings me back to my earlier Post that A Woman Should Not Surrender Her Entire Soul To A Man.  Because the "Soul" is what makes A Woman Unique and Attractive.

Any difference in current times?  To a certain degree:

- Women go to work now

- More financially independent now

- More choices now

- We have Maids to do the Household Chores now

But at the end of the day, we still want to take care of the Children, the Home.  Because of our Biological Functions, to a large degree,  our Roles remain the same. 

** Of Course, this is not a Blanket Description of Men. Neither am I "Anti-Male" :lol:

• Love 1