[Drama 2023] Love To Hate You/ Love War,연애대전-Kim Oh Vin & Yoo Teo

larus

2 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Thanks for the tag Noona, Yes - I'm watching it ... 1 question though ... during AoS, you repeatedly said you didn't like romance ( which this clearly is ) have you had a change of heart ... pun intended.

This looks more humorous than romantic to me though! You know how I love comedies :D 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

Premiere Watch: Love to Hate You

by missvictrix

lthy_pc.jpg

Time slot: Friday (single drop)
Broadcaster: Netflix
Genre: Rom-com
Episode count: 10

Reasons to watch: Netflix’s rom-com (yes you read that right) Love to Hate You drops on Friday — just in time for a Valentine’s Day binge. In what is being described as a classic enemies-to-lovers romance, the drama also deploys contract dating, love triangles, and more of your favorite (or unfavorite) tropes. Kim Ok-bin stars as a feisty attorney who somehow gets herself in a contract dating relationship with Yoo Teo. Yoo Teo plays a heartthrob actor known for his super romantic dramas, but in real life can’t stomach the stuff. Hmm, wonder what will happen when they pretend to like each other? We’ll just have to tune in and find out. Added bonus: the supporting cast includes Kim Ji-hoon, Go Won-hee, and Lee Joo-bin.

TL;DR: Classic trope-tastic rom-com setup with Kim Ok-bin and Yoo Teo sparring

https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/02/premiere-watch-love-to-hate-you/

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

• larus changed the title to [Current Drama 2023] Love To Hate You/ Love War,연애대전-Kim Oh Vin & Yoo Teo

Although I've only watched half of the episodes,  I'm thoroughly enjoying this drama.  

I think these is a lot of spoof, caricature and meta in the drama.  However,  since I have to rely on English subs, I suspect there is much I'm missing in translation.

Drama is interesting  for bringing up how the same issue is interpreted diametric differently for men versus women. 

Acting is on par. Four main characters are the most interesting. With a limitation of ten episodes,  I hope they can give us enough back story on each character.

Drama gave me some ROFL.  In my eyes, they even had a bunch of supporting characters who came out of the same Korean Plastic Surgery Assembly line.  I'm still trying to find the scene where a walk-on actress had a plastic surgery nose like Pinocchio. :lol:

• Like 3
  • Blob 4

57 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

were all the episodes released in one go? 

yess!! haha i was surprised when i started watching last evening.. and i binged watch all from last night to early this morning..

it was really funny, and

Spoiler

even though the all male law firm started off too male chauvinistic but i like the friendship and loyalty as the episodes progress.. and i love choi soo jin unnie!!

so i'm stoned in office now..

The Simpsons Cartoon GIF

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Blob 2

I finished 4.5 episodes yesterday before I had to go to bed. It is just so much fun ! :love:

I am seriously laughing out loud. Agree with @Auntie Mame that the acting is good. The quality is for the most part a bit better in Netflix kdramas, and they are using for many roles lesser known actors (who can still act though). 

Can’t wait until it’s evening and I can continue the drama.

:sparklyeyes:

• Like 4
  • Blob 3

Love to Hate You? - how can we miss out this drama when the two pairs (1st & 2nd leads couples - 4 of them) are so "eye candy"...storyline was fun and entertaining...happy ending as expected. Awesome, it's so fun to watch when there is a demand for equality, a strong woman character like Miran, appear in Korean society....something unusual, of course, the couples are really in good chemistry. :wub:

I watched this drama is because of the 1st male lead Teo Yoo, a handsome guy with charming eyes (wow, he was born in Cologne, Germany), he caught my attention was because he was acted in Arthdal Chronicles. (which I am anticipating for the Season 2 now). :wub:

Capture.jpg

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Blob 1

• larus changed the title to [Drama 2023] Love To Hate You/ Love War,연애대전-Kim Oh Vin & Yoo Teo

Love to Hate You: Episodes 1-10 (Series Review)

by DaebakGrits

LovetoHateYou00.jpg

A new battle-of-the-sexes drama has just dropped, and while it boasts all the K-drama tropes we know and love, they’re packaged in a slightly more mature box. Love and silliness are still at the forefront of this rom-com, but it also addresses sexism and misogyny from the lens of a woman who has made it her mission to stomp on the patriarchy in whatever small way she can.

SERIES REVIEW

LovetoHateYou01.jpg

If I’m sporting panda eyes today it’s because I stayed up until the wee hours of the morning binging Netflix’s latest rom-com offering Love to Hate You. I was unexpectedly hooked after the first episode, and I think that was partly due to the slower pacing and introduction to our main characters. Like, seriously, what romance drama waits until the second episode for our couple to have a proper meet-cute?

But it was this very subversion of the genre that compelled me to watch the next episode. I just had to see what kind of fireworks would be set off when the worlds — and diametrically opposing viewpoints — of YEO MI-RAN (Kim Ok-bin) and NAM GANG-HO (Yoo Teo) officially collided. And from that point on, our story did well to keep me anticipating all the relationship milestones we typically see in romantic comedies.

Not to mention, Mi-ran is an absolute BAMF who immediately captured my attention with her Strong Woman Do Bong-soon-like introduction. She’s a champion of love and justice, throwing punches — and shade — at anyone who exhibits deplorable behavior. She’s particularly passionate about dismantling gender stereotypes and calling attention to internalized societal misogyny that is prevalent in dating, work, and even family life.

Of all the examples the drama used to drive home the point that sexism is a daily occurrence for most women, I was particularly interested in how the story called out her father as being a perpetrator. On the surface, he seems like our stereotypical grumpy K-drama appa who doesn’t understand his progressive and independent daughter. But, in reality, he’s very locked into gender roles and often directs his anger and frustration with Mi-ran at a weaker opponent: Mi-ran’s mother.

Sadly, this particular aspect of Mi-ran’s family life, which would have profoundly shaped her present-day ethics and distaste for men, doesn’t get the proper respect and attention it deserves. There was definitely room to flesh out her family’s side story a bit more, but instead of using a small number of higher quality and nuanced examples to drive home the point, the drama focuses more on emphasizing the frequency of such encounters. Unfortunately, because most of the “everyday” examples are of drunk men crossing boundaries, it unintentionally undercuts the reality that sober men can sexually harass and have misogynistic opinions against women, too.

LovetoHateYou03b.jpg

As much as I admire Mi-ran’s philosophies and the way she calls people out when they’re being sexist, she is very eager to pick a fight — even when the law isn’t on her side or she doesn’t entirely understand the context of a situation. Cue: a bad — but not wholly inaccurate — first impression of Gang-ho, an actor who doesn’t buy into the rom-com cheesiness, despite being constantly typecast to fill romantic leading roles.

Gang-ho turns his nose up at the very romantic tropes we all tune in to watch each week, but his jadedness doesn’t stem from his behind-the-scenes perspective, which strips away the magic and romance of post-production editing. Instead, the real source of Gang-ho’s aversion to romance is women — well, two women in particular. The actions of his mother and his ex-girlfriend OH SE-NA (Lee Joo-bin) have led Gang-ho to believe that women only want to perpetuate gender stereotypes (*cough* aegyo *cough*) and marry rich so they can live a life of luxury.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/02/love-to-hate-you-episodes-1-10-series-review/

• Like 1
  • Blob 3

Just finished episode 1 and enjoyed it. I love the actor who plays Mi Ran’s dad and he’s doing a good job being a grumpypants. :lol: Otherwise I don’t think I’ve seen any of these actors before. 

The bromance between the guys feels very natural and familiar, and I can’t wait for Mi Ran to be in their mix, too. 

@sadthe1st I can’t believe you watched all ten episodes in one go! :crazymad:

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

I can’t believe you watched all ten episodes in one go!

haha thats why i better fit in ongoing dramas.. when netflix releases all episodes in one shot, i tend to watch ep after ep..

Spoiler

like how it ended for me staying up all night with Kingdom and Monstrous, and first few ep of Sweet Home (i dropped it)

13 hours ago, Ameera Ali said:

They taking kissing rehearsal seriously,

3 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

The bromance between the guys feels very natural and familiar, and I can’t wait for Mi Ran to be in their mix, too.

this pair is super hilarious! i thought Won Jun was a jerk being overly friendly with all the females but i guess he has his charms and being in entertainment industry means having to maintain good relationship with everyone..

Spoiler

his loneliness and jealousy after his one and only buddy really got hitched was super funny

• Awesome 1
  • Blob 2

I finally finished the drama. It was a good ride - light and fun and fresh ! I liked the mature take on the contract relationship theme.

Despite a short period of noble idiocy (which I FFed btw), I liked the ending. The ML never looked down on the FL because of her past and he accepted her fully the way she was - despite her 100 ex-lovers. :glasses:

I also liked the fact that we really had for once a strong female lead. She stayed strong until the very end!

You Go Girl GIF by nargisfakhri

• Like 2