TVN DRAMA 2023

TALE OF THE NINE TAILED 1938

Tale-of-The-Nine-Tailed-1938_poster.jpeg

Drama: Tale of the Nine Tailed 1938/ Tale of the Nine Tailed 2/Tale of Gumiho 2

Hangul: 구미호뎐1938

Genre: historical, fantasy, action, romance

Network: tvN, TVING

Episodes: 12

Director: Kang Shin-Hyo ( Tale of the Nine Tailed, Children of A Lesser God, The Heirs, All In)

Writer: Han Woo-Ri (Tale of the Nine Tailed)

Release Date: May 6,  2023- June 11, 2023

Runtime: Saturday, Sunday at 21:20 KST

Production Company: Studio Dragon, How Pictures

OST: part 1 (KIHYUN) (몬스타엑스)- Full Moon

part 2 Kei(케이)- Love Song

part 3 THAMA- Kiss the Rain

part 4 Kei (케이) - 바람의 노래 (Wind Song)

part 5 GRASS- Keep Silence

Official site: https://tvn.cjenm.com/ko/Tale-of-the-Nine-Tailed-1938/

Plot

Cast

Lee Dong Wook as Lee Yeon

Kim So Yeon as Ryu Hong-joo

Kim Beom as Lee Rang

Ryu Kyung-soo as Cheon Mu Yeon

Kim Yong Ji as Seonwoo Eun Ho

Hwang Hee as Goo Shin-Joo

Na hyun as Nan Cho

Kim Joo-young as Mae-hwa

Kang Na-eon as Kook Hee

Han Gyu Won as Yoo Jae Yoo (Hong Joo`s bodyguard)

Kim Jung Nan as Taluipa

Ahn Kil Kang as Hyun Ui-Ong (Taluipa`s husband)

Jo Dal Hwan as Boo Dumok

Ha Do Gwon as Kato Ryuhei

Im Ji Ho as Akira Saito

Woo Hyun-jin as Yeo Hee

Kim Seung Hwa as Yuki

Younghoon as Dong Bangsak

Jung Soo-Kyo as Jeong Dae-seung

Jang Ha-kyung as Joseon Yang Young-ae

Kim Bup Rae as Dokgakgwi (ep 7)

Seo Young-joo as Satori

Kang Yeon Jung as

Jae Yoon as

Oh Tae Eun as

Character descriptions

tale-1938_01.jpeg

tale-1938_03.jpeg

tale-1938_02.jpeg

tale-1938_04.jpeg

Character chart

c93a87fd8fe798.jpg

https://tvn.cjenm.com/ko/Tale-of-the-Nine-Tailed-1938/relations/

Posters

BddkXV_2f.png

Teasers/Trailers

Spoiler

teaser 2 long version

Intro

01.Soompi code of conduct | SOOMPI RULES FOR KDRAMA | MOVIES | ACTORS' & ACTRESS' SECTION

Don't post any requests for subs!Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images.

01.Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately.02.Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.03.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, Etc.. should be report to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.04.Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their Id/IDs reported the mods. 05.Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs ( those without permission from the orginal subbers and doesn't have copyrights like  SOOMPI TV, Viki, Dramafever, Kdrama.com or Crunchyroll) will have their ID's reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions.

PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

• Like 1

• larus changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2022] Tale of the Nine Tailed 2,구미호뎐2- Lee Dong Wook, Kim Bum - Premieres in 2022

tvN Responds To Reports Of New Seasons Of “Tale Of The Nine-Tailed”

54cd5bb5fb48444c972d99c11256b7ad.jpeg?s=

Sep 27, 2021
by C. Hong

The tvN drama “Tale of the Nine-Tailed” may be returning for a second season!

On September 27, several drama industry sources reported that tvN had decided to produce a second and third season of “Tale of the Nine-Tailed.” The sources also said that the female lead would be recast, and that the second season would be set during the Japanese colonial occupation (1910-1945) and the third season in the Joseon Dynasty.

In response to the reports, a representative from tvN stated, “We are currently having positive discussions about a second season of ‘Tale of the Nine-Tailed.’ Nothing about the cast lineup or the broadcast details have been finalized. We are planning for 16 episodes in the second season, and season one’s director, Kang Shin Hyo, will be in charge of the direction again.”

“Tale of the Nine-Tailed” originally aired at the end of 2020 and starred Lee Dong Wook, Jo Bo Ah, and Kim Bum in a modern fantasy story about a male gumiho (a mythical nine-tailed fox) who settles in the city and a producing director who investigates the supernatural. The drama ended with a peak viewership rating of 5.8 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1490593wpp/tvn-respond-to-reports-of-new-seasons-of-tale-of-the-nine-tailed

Production of 'Tale of the Nine-Tailed' seasons 2 and 3 confirmed but with a different female lead actress

AKP STAFF

JTBC announced on September 27 that it has decided to produce seasons 2 and 3 of the tvN drama 'Tale of the Nine-Tailed.'

According to reports, there were talks of future season production even when the drama first aired and was completed. Finally, there has been confirmation that the future seasons will be produced. However, it was finalized that Jo Bo Ah, who was the female lead in 'Tale of the Nine-Tailed,' will not participate in the upcoming seasons.

The production staff confirmed they have begun their casting process to cast a new female lead, and the upcoming seasons will take place in the past. Season 2 will occur during the Japanese colonial period, while season 3 will be a fusion historical drama in the Joseon era. 

Other netizens responded, "I think it's okay that the female lead changes since the story is in the past," "It's weirder that the female lead is the same when the timeline is in the past," "I don't think it matters if the female lead changes since it's in the past," and, "I think it'll be okay if there is no love line."

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2021/09/production-of-tale-of-the-nine-tailed-seasons-2-and-3-confirmed-but-with-a-different-female-lead-actress

• Like 1

Kim So Yeon In Talks To Star In New Season Of “Tale Of The Nine-Tailed”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Oct 27, 2021
by L. Kim

Kim So Yeon may be appearing in a new drama!

On October 27, an industry representative shared with Sports Chosun that Kim So Yeon will join tvN’s upcoming drama “Tale of the Nine-Tailed 2″ as the main character.

In response to the report, Kim So Yeon’s agency J-Wide Company commented, “’Tale of the Nine-Tailed 2′ is one of the projects that she received a script for. Nothing about her appearance has been finalized.”

“Tale of the Nine-Tailed” originally aired at the end of 2020 and starred Lee Dong WookJo Bo Ah, and Kim Bum in a modern fantasy story about a male gumiho (a mythical nine-tailed fox) who settles in the city and a producing director who investigates the supernatural.

Last month, a representative from tvN stated that they were currently in the middle of discussions about a second season of ‘Tale of the Nine-Tailed.’ They’re planning for 16 episodes, and season one’s director, Kang Shin Hyo, will be in charge of the directing again. Expectations are high as historical backgrounds, such as the Joseon Dynasty and Japanese colonial era, are expected to be included in the story.

Lee Dong Wook will continue to play the male lead, but there will be a new female lead in the new season. If Kim So Yeon accepts the offer, she will take the role of the female lead.

Kim So Yeon appeared in many projects, but her latest drama was “The Penthouse” series that became a huge hit and recorded high viewership ratings. She impressed viewers with her detailed portrayal of the evil Cheon Seo Jin, and viewers are eager to find out what role she’ll take next.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1495593wpp/kim-so-yeon-in-talks-to-star-in-new-season-of-tale-of-the-nine-tailed

Kim So Yeon Offered the Female Lead in the Second Season of tvN Drama Tale of Gumiho Opposite Lee Dong Wook and Kim Bum

http://koalasplayground.com/2021/10/28/kim-so-yeon-offered-the-female-lead-in-the-second-season-of-tvn-drama-tale-of-gumiho-opposite-lee-dong-wook-and-kim-bum/#comment-763851

Actress Kim So Yeon in talks to star in next season of 'Tale of the Nine-Tailed'

AKP STAFF

1631509543-collage-5.jpg

Actress Kim So Yeon is in talks to star in the next season of 'Tale of the Nine-Tailed'.

On October 27, reports revealed Kim So Yeon would be starring as the lead of the upcoming tvN drama 'Tale of the Nine-Tailed 2' opposite Lee Dong Wook. Her label J-Wide Company then clarified, "'Tale of the Nine-Tailed 2' is one of the projects she received a script for. Her appearance has not been confirmed."

Season 2 of 'Tale of the Nine-Tailed' is set for 16 episodes with Kang Shin Hyo returning as director. The first season starring Lee Dong Wook, Jo Bo Ah, and Kim Bum previously aired in 2020, and it followed a mythical nine-tailed fox who lives in a city and a director who digs into the supernatural.

Stay tuned for updates on Kim So Yeon and 'Tale of the Nine-Tailed'. 

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2021/10/actress-kim-so-yeon-in-talks-to-star-in-next-season-of-tale-of-the-nine-tailed

• Like 1

I did not watch the first season but I will watch the second season if Kim So Yeon will be in this drama. We don`t have any information about her role. She might play a good heroine or she could be the villain or anti-heroine. Everything is possible. 

I am not a fan of supernatural dramas with gumiho, vampire or other fantastical creatures. I like the cast and I like that the story will take place during the Japanese colonial era. I will keep my eyes on this drama so let see more news. 

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, ferily said:

So this season will take place before the first season then? Basically getting backstory huh… 

Yes. The second season takes place in Japanese colonial era and the third season (if they will make it) it will be on Joseon. I read that the second season has 16 episodes and season 3 has just 10 episodes. The gumiho brothers will get more about their backstory. In their long existence, they must have met several times, more then what they showed so far (i guess). 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, madmad min said:

Can they have Less of the Love story and more of Brothers then Please.....S1 got ruined because of no sense Love story IMO.

It looks like people were divided. Some liked the love story in season 1, the others not so much. I don`t mind a love story but I hope they stop with the reincarnation thing. I am not a fan of the reincarnation stories. :D And I am hoping they will show a different plot for this season. 

From what I understand, the gumiho brothers will have bad blood between them in the past also. Maybe they will show other events that accentuated the rift between them. Perhaps they will still have a strained relationship in the beginning of 20th century but they will collaborate to be against a common enemy. There are lots of oportunities to show their relationship. 

About the love story... It is possible to give the younger brother a love story this time. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

• 1 month later...

No news whatsoever. I think Kim So yeon will accept the role because she likes to try different genre and fantasy period action drama she hasn`t done before. But I with there is a confirmation. I have a feeling she will play a non human character. Also, I want to know other casting news and read a little about the synopsis or about other chracters. I hope we`ll have some news soon.

• 3 weeks later...
by lo_ve, February 23, 2022
1 0

Kim So Yeon will be the next heroine of the "Tale of the Nine-Tailed Season 2."

On February 23rd media outlet Sports World shared that Kim So Yeon is now confirmed to be the next female lead of the upcoming second season of "Tale of the Nine-Tailed." 

"Tale of the Nine-Tailed" ended in December 2020. The drama garnered the highest rating of 5.8 percent. For the first season, it was led by Lee Dong Wook, Kim Bum, Jo Bo Ah, Kim Yong Ji, Hwang Hee, and Kim Jung Nan. Jo Bo Ah was the female lead in the first season. 

For the second season, the genre will be changed from modern to historical fantasy. It will tell the story of the Japanese colonial era. According to reports "Tale of the Nine-Tailed" will have seasons two and three.  It will have 10 episodes each new season. 

Aside from Kim So Yeon, Kim Bum and Lee Dong Wook will reportedly return to the drama. 

"Tale of the Nine-Tailed Season 2" will be helmed by director Kang Shin Hyo

pJvOE_2f.jpg

This will be the comeback drama of Kim So Yeon after the hit SBS drama "The Penthouse: War in Life."  She will star in another seasonal drama through  "Tale of the Nine-Tailed." 

Kim So Yeon will also reunite with Penthouse co-stars through the upcoming film "It’s Alright." The movie will be directed by the Penthouse director Joo Dong Min. She will be working again with Lee Ji Ah, Uhm Ki Joon, Yoon Jong Hoon, Shin Eun Kyung, Bong Tae Kyu, and Yoon Joo Hee

The top actress was also part of several dramas such as  "Mother of Mine," "Happy Home," "Falling for Innocence," "I Need Romance 3," "Two Weeks," "Prosecutor Princess," and more. 

Source

https://mydramalist.com/article/kim-so-yeon-is-the-female-lead-of-the-tale-of-the-nine-tailed-season-2

Finally Kim So yeon has confirmed this drama. I can not say that I am very happy that she will do this drama but if she signed I will totally support her. I trust her to choose a good role for her. It is the first time she will be in a fantasy drama and probably this was a factor in her decission. Now I want more informations about her role.

• Like 2

• larus changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2023] Tale of the Nine Tailed 2,구미호뎐2- Lee Dong Wook, Kim Bum - Premieres in first half 2023

Kim So Yeon confirms lead role for Tale of the Nine Tailed season 2 alongside Lee Dong Wook?

by Akanksha Kacker   |  Published on Feb 23, 2022 01:55 PM IST  |  16.7K

kim_so_yeon_main_0.jpg?width=752&format=

On February 23, a media outlet reported that actress Kim So Yeon has been confirmed to appear in season two of the tvN series ‘Tale of the Nine Tailed’. Last year, it was confirmed that the series will be renewing for seasons two and three, with the absence of actress Jo Bo Ah, who lead season one as the female protagonist. Since then, anticipation has been high about who will take up the role of the female lead alongside male lead Lee Dong Wook. 

Reportedly, ‘The Penthouse’ star Kim So Yeon will be joining Lee Dong Wook and Kim Bum as one of the leads for season two of ‘Tale of the Nine Tailed’, playing the role of Ryu Hong Joo. The character is reportedly referred to as an “unparalleled beauty”, and is the owner of Myoyeongak, a top restaurant in Gyeongseong, while also being one of the four major mountain gods who ruled the Korean Peninsula alongside Lee Dong Wook’s character, Lee Yeon.

Season two will reportedly air in the first half of 2023, and explore how Lee Yeon became a mountain god, as well as describe the story of Lee Rang (Kim Bum), which remained incomplete in season one. According to reports, the second season of the historical drama is set to span a total of 12 episodes, unlike season one, which aired for 16 episodes.

Actress Kim So Yeon recently took home the Grand Prize for her impeccable performance in ‘The Penthouse’ at the 2021 SBS Drama Awards. As a result, anticipation is high for the actress’ next work, along with raised curiosity about the sort of chemistry that will come forth with this new combination of cast members for the second season of ‘Tale of the Nine Tailed’.

https://www.pinkvilla.com/entertainment/kim-so-yeon-confirms-lead-role-tale-nine-tailed-season-2-alongside-lee-dong-wook-1030621

I am glad that there are a few information about So yeon`s character. I also like that the background is 1930. I think the script will be funny like the first season (from the few scenes I saw, I think it had comedy not only fantasy). As I suspected, Ryu Hong Joo is a gumiho. I also like that. And her character is a little mysterious. She could be a good person or a villain, but I prefer something grey. If she has a good sense of humor it will be great.

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

On 11/1/2021 at 1:48 PM, larus said:

Season 2 will occur during the Japanese colonial period, while season 3 will be a fusion historical drama in the Joseon era. 

So basically the whole build up tension around their history ended with satisfying closure will be reversed (restored) to the square one? Does it mean that the first season will somewhat repeat itself now and we'll continue to have that strained relationship between them? That was a bit frustrating the first time around...  

:saitama:

I want to see Lee Rang's schemes going absolutely wrong the right way, but not sure I'm ready to rewatch brothers drama in different setting...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Idylla Kaizoku said:

So basically the whole build up tension around their history ended with satisfying closure will be reversed (restored) to the square one? Does it mean that the first season will somewhat repeat itself now and we'll continue to have that strained relationship between them?

I don`t know. It is possible because from what I know a part of their tension was about their past. It is possible to not be distant to each other and to buit (in this season) a couple of moments to show how they got further estranged. Or it is possible to show them as a team against a common enemy.

If So yeon`s character is a former western mountain god, she will have a similar power as Lee Yeon ( a former mountain god also) and it is possible to be his nemessis in this encounter.

I heard of sequels or prequels of other dramas but I don`t think this drama needed more action or clarification. But if they wanted to make those seasons, I guess they have stories for them. Both seasons are ten/twelve episodes so maybe they wanted to show more stories for gumiho brothers. 

Some articles say it is a ten episode drama each, others say the second season has 12 episodes. Both seasons make like a 20/24 episodes drama.

• Insightful 2

Actress Kim So-yeon has finally confirmed her appearance in the second season of tvN's new drama 'Gumiho'.

145e6b56f51c164c49e1514650637d225c155deb

'Gumiho', which ended in December 2020, is a work that contains the fantasy action romance of a Gumiho who has settled in the city and a producer who pursues him. Actors Lee Dong-wook, Kim Beom, Jo Bo-ah, etc. appeared and recorded the highest viewership rating of 5.8% at the time, achieving the beauty of the species.

Jo Bo-ah, who was the female lead in Season 1, will not appear in Season 2. Then, in October of last year, it became known that Kim So-yeon had received an offer to appear in Season 2 of 'Gumiho'. At that time, her agency, J Wide Company, said, "It is true that she was offered an appearance in Season 2 of 'The Gumiho'. “Nothing has been confirmed about this,” she said.

Kim So-yeon, after much consideration recently, decided to meet viewers through the role of Ryu Hong-joo, the new female lead in season two.

Season 2 of 'Gumiho' represents the full-scale ghost story hunting action of a nine-tailed fox that crash-landed in the 1930s. The story of Lee Yeon (Lee Dong-wook) becoming a mountain god and the story of Lee Rang (Kim Beom), who failed to complete in the previous season, will be drawn by melting it into a fairy tale.

Ryu Hong-joo, played by Kim So-yeon, is a person called a thrifty person. The owner of Myoyeon-gak, a top-class restaurant in Gyeongseong, rumored to not age, and a former western mountain god. Along with Lee Yeon, it is one of the four great mountain gods that ruled the Korean Peninsula. It raises curiosity about what kind of chemistry he will show with Lee Dong-wook as Lee Yeon.

Previously, Kim So-yeon received a lot of love for her role as Cheon Seo-jin in the SBS drama 'Penthouse' series. She also proved her second heyday by winning the grand prize, the highest honor at the '2021 SBS Acting Awards'. As such, the curiosity about her next work has grown. As 'Gumiho' season 2 is scheduled for the first half of 2023, it is expected to meet viewers with perfect acting thanks to a solid script. Expectations are high for Kim So-yeon's new character and acting, who chose Season 2 of 'The Nine-tailed Fox' as her next work.

http://www.sportsworldi.com/newsView/20220223512214

I don`t know the story but it was mentioned about the four mountain gods in season 1? I kind of like the idea that they explored the immortal world and how the mountain gods will interact with each other. They should have similar power and strong will. I think So yeon suits this role because she gives vibes of stong charisma. I wanted for her character to be on equal footing with the hero. And I wish that I`ll see all four.

I totally in the dark about the story of mountain gods. Why Lee Yeon has lost the status of mountain god ? Because he fall in love with a mortal woman and about his choices after that?
I am curious why Ryu Hong Joo lost the status and works now in a human world as a restaurant owner. I am curious about her story. It is very possible to be an nemessis for Lee yeon in this time period.
I see potential in the story, now let see if the execution will be fine.

• Insightful 1

49 minutes ago, larus said:

I don`t know the story but it was mentioned about the four mountain gods in season 1?

I don't know when (or hope I didn't imagined it), but I think he was called one of the great mountain ghosts at some point (maybe in Lee Rang's flashbacks?). Or as a eastern god, which suggest there were three more? Or was it an actual lore not the show? 

Why Lee Yeon has lost the status of mountain god ?

Yes, it has something to do with his love life. Either he resigned on his own, or was banned from the post. 

I see potential in the story, now let see if the execution will be fine.

Me too. I'm curious how they wrap all this up into fitting the original storyline. 

(I like when the seasons complement each other...).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rocher22 said:

The new story is about these former mountain deities. I like it.

Lee Yeon, Lee Rang, Hong Joo...but who is the fourth deity..

Lee Rang was also a mountain god (mountain spirit and guardian of the mountain)? I did not know that. I am curious about all four mountain deities. I hope they will show them.

I wonder if Hong Joo met Lee Rang before or they will met in this season.

1 hour ago, Idylla Kaizoku said:

I don't know when (or hope I didn't imagined it), but I think he was called one of the great mountain ghosts at some point (maybe in Lee Rang's flashbacks?). Or as a eastern god, which suggest there were three more? Or was it an actual lore not the show? 

I remember reading that Lee Yeon was the protector of a mountain. Probably they implied about others but if you don`t remember very well that means that they were not in the story of first season. It is an opportunity to show their backstories. Maybe they will show the father of gumiho brothers if he did not appear in the story directly.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, larus said:

Lee Rang was also a mountain god (mountain spirit and guardian of the mountain)? I did not know that. I am curious about all four mountain deities. I hope they will show them.

I wonder if Hong Joo met Lee Rang before or they will met in this season

Lee Rang wasnt a mountain deity in the beginning but  he later gained some powers.  

In the first season I liked the story from the past the most. 

I wonder what HJ's powers are...   :D  

• Like 1