[Drama 2021 - 2022] Our Beloved Summer ⏯️ 그 해 우리는

Maetawinz

Incredible episode! I would really like to applaud the writers for sticking to their guns and not succumbing to fan pressure by changing the pace of the storytelling. I am in such awe by the storytelling and very assured character developments. The writers and directors know what they want to convey and you could see it in the execution. This is the reason why I waited and will continue to wait before I judge the actions of our leads. Woong and Yeon Su got their share of flak in the beginning, but we could all see now that every action that our characters made, were driven and rooted from something. The writers have really gained my trust that none of the characters will go rogue. The craziest thing is that nothing about this drama is revolutionary, yet I find everything about it so riveting. It’s sublime! Let’s unpack this episode…

1. I noticed that this episode was no longer narrated. I can only assume that what we are now seeing is an accurate depiction of what’s really happening. In essence, we are now watching through the objective lens of a camera. Also, it’s no coincidence that the lack of narration coincided with the episode that our main leads opened up to each other. We no longer need to hear their inner thoughts because they have now learned to open up to each other and communicate.

2. To those hating on Woong, hopefully, this episode enlightened you on his inner motivations for keeping YS at arm's length and wanting to just be “friends.” It was obvious that it was just a defense mechanism to keep himself intact. Albeit, I did not expect that his abandonment issue was rooted in much more profound childhood trauma. My heart ached for Woong! Everything that I have assumed about him up until now was completely wrong. His indifference to the world was not just because he did not want the attention, rather, it was his way of protecting himself from getting attached. So, when he decides to let someone in, he latches on due to his fear of being left behind. He had to essentially beg YS not to ever let him go again. I literally sobbed at that moment. His fear of being abandoned again could not have been more palpable than at that moment.

3. This show’s brilliant symbolisms and metaphors continue to impress this episode. That jujube moment was brilliant. The plastic bag of the jujubes breaking seemed superfluous at first, but we find out later that the jujubes left a trail for Woong to find. As if signifying that no matter how hard he tries to wander (to NJ), he’ll end up finding his way to YS. And that scene where NJ’s gift was left outside Woong’s house, meanwhile, he found some of YS’s jujubes inside his house, was a great juxtaposition of the real status of NJ & YS in Woong's heart. NJ is still an outsider. YS still resides in Woong. Beautifully done! Lastly, with regards to the location of their confessions. The first confession that they had happened in a flimsy shed, while their reconciliation took place in a well-built restaurant. It’s a really clever contrast to convey that their initial relationship had a shallow foundation, while their second chance is now firmly rooted with a strong foundation.

4. Now, that reconciliation scene….could it get any more real than that? It was the rawest, most relatable, and most satisfying reconciliation I have ever seen in kdrama land. There was no fanfare necessary. The silence was deafening. I was completely satisfied with Woong and YS just gazing at each other and baring their souls to one another. As I have been harping on since the beginning, they just need to be honest and vulnerable to each other. And they both did that. Personally, I have never given any of my past relationships a second chance because I am fearful of making the same mistakes again that’s why I am so proud of Woong and YS for having the courage to try again. Woong opening up to YS about his father was a great beginning to their second chance.

5. I am glad that their reunification happened now. As viewers, we get a clean slate. We never got to witness their dating in the past. We will now get to see it this time. I cannot wait! Lastly, with this new beginning for the two, we'll get to see how they'll handle their first adversity together. We'll get to see if they've truly learned from their past mistakes.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 4

Soompi Forums Awards (Poll #2): The best streaming dramas, c-dramas, daily/weekend dramas of 2021? Please vote!

Now you can also vote for your favorite 2021:

• Daily/weekend dramas
  • C-dramas
  • Streaming dramas (ie dramas that only appeared on streaming sites like Netflix)

milk-and-mocha-cute.gif

Your Event Organizers,

@partyon @confusedheart @agenth @Sleepy Owl

• Like 2

Our beloved summer 's loved and awaited romance filled 12th episode.Like a cherished summer after a harsh cold winter the romance was laced with honey dripping sweetness.Summer also is a season of hardship for folks who struggle with allergies.The effects of Yeonsu and Woong's romance is hard for NJ and JW to handle.The desolate existence of their solitary lives strikes with a strong vengeance.The tussle of trying to be the good guy and not the bad one begins again.I empathized with JW the most today.One can't help root for him to find a cure to his meloncholic heart.Also become the best friend to Woong free of baggage. 

The challenges are ready to drop in for a visit in the world of Yeonsu and Woong.Will their quirkiness,self doubt,faith in each other be enough to ride them over?

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1

Soompi Forums Awards (Poll #3): The Most Memorable Characters, Best Abs, and Worst Endings / Biggest Drama Disappointments of 2021

Please vote!

Now you can also vote for:

• the most memorable characters 2021
  • best abs 2021
  • worst drama endings / biggest drama disappointments of 2021

Season 4 Episode 3 GIF by The Office

Your Event Organizers,

@partyon @confusedheart @agenth @Sleepy Owl

• Like 2

Chingudeul, annyeong! 

Been sooo busy so I I only watched ep11. All I can say is it is truly heartbreaking but redeeming. I really love the title 'Our Nights are More Beautiful than Your Days'. What a title!

Edit: It is self-explanatory. They just need to face life together. Both of them are lonely to begin with. Happiness is felt when you are together with someone you love and cherish. :wub:

IMG-20220113-201101.jpg

I never felt that Woong is an adopted child. I just got a hint when the conversation happened between eomma and appa and what eun ho and yeon su talked about. 

I will not read your two cents here yet coz I need to watch the 12th ep first. 

Annyeong! :heartxoxo:

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

Reconcilling after breakup has saccharine sweetness plastered over it.Episode 13 will help you believe that till you reach the end and say hello reality..The make up post break up is a new lease of precious happiness and Yeonsu gets serious about making no mistakes this time around.Cute and hillarious moments that make Woong tense up trying to predict his unpredictable gf. A heart to heart tete-a-tete serves as the perfect solution.With the successful trial run of open communication can iron out love troubles, Woong puts it to work to solve the most thorny issue 'why did we break up'?

NJ and JW are struggling with the heartbreaks but determined to put it behind them and move on.I am rooting for you guys!

The story of Sol and Eunho which was clamped up due to the affairs of the protagonists and their admirers will be pried open.Looks like the menu at the resturant will have more than clam stew this time.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

We are down to the last 3 episodes and few crucial confrontations are left :

- about the main couple Why did they break up

- between both the Ung friends and test of their friendship

- between Kim Ji Ung and the assistant. Will she confess and will he move on and give her a chance? 
- between the main couple the I love you confession.

Also: 
- Will NJ find someone. I hope so. She’s adorable. 
- also the manager and restaurant owner will they show them together or will it be like an open ending. 

• Like 1
  • Awesome 3

SBS’s “Our Beloved Summer” and KBS2’s “Moonshine” both saw dips on January 17. “Our Beloved Summer” scored an average rating of 4.0 percent, down from 5.2 percent for its previous episode,

“Show Window: The Queen’s House” Once Again Hits A New Personal Best in Ratings | KdramaBuddy

• Thanks 1