Poll: Are Ratings the Best way to Judge a drama?

Sleepy Owl

Are Ratings the Best way to Judge a drama?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Top 15 tvN dramas with highest viewership (Please choose up to 4)

2. 2. Top 15 JTBC dramas with highest viewership (Please choose up to 4)

• World of the Married
    • Sky Castle
    • Itaewon Class
    • The Lady In Dignity
    • The Light In Your Eyes
    • Strong Woman Do Bong-soon
    • My Kids Give Me A Headache
    • Misty
    • The Good Detective
    • Something In The Rain
    • Law School
    • Sisyphus: The Myth
    • Beyond Evil
    • Beautiful World
    • My ID Is Gangnam Beauty
  3. 3. Are Ratings the Best way to Judge a drama?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/31/2021 at 09:00 AM

If I like any part of the drama in particular, its a good drama for me.

It doesnt matter if its just a bromance or scenes with SL...    :D

my top 15 TvN and JTBC dramas..   

- The K-2

a197ca1bf06e89ed40dbcfd971801ee8.jpg

- My Country: The New Age

- The Package

- Arthdal Chronicles

- Stranger

- Shut Up Flower Boy Band

20120725_seoulbeats_shutupflowerboyband.

- He is Psychometric

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQmPw3qrkOxcO573cUtxW

- Sketch

- Mr.Sunshine

b43d54359277e76af39731f06b5bdbd5.jpg

- Chicago Typewriter

- Children of a Lesser God

- Memories of the Alhambra

- Just Between Lovers

- Hotel del Luna

- Gap Dong

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

No, ratings doesn't define a drama whether it is good or bad. There are many factors to consider like the time slot, if the actors are popular, the dramas that air at the same time slot, the genre, etc. 

I trust more the results of Baeksang Awards than the ratings. There are a lot of dramas who got awards even though they are not popular. I sometimes base my watchlist on who got nominated and who win. There are professional judges for a reason. 

I usually not watch dramas because of ratings. I watch dramas because the actors I want are there. Everyone have different taste too so we might think the drama is good but the others don't. It depends on our personal preference unless the bad points are too obvious. 

• Like 5
  • Blob 3

Ratings are not important for me. But I feel pain when a drama I love isn't doing well ratings-wise. Lost is the most recent example. I want the actors to succeed by starring in a highly rated drama.

I have a problem watching hype dramas eg. Descendants of the Sun and Goblin, however much I loved the leads....

1. Solid storyline/premise. I'm currently into drama/melodrama/slice of life. Take my heart, drag it along the tarmac and finally run it over with a train. I want to feel want the pain of human existence.

2. Cast. Skilled actors, and of the drama doesn't have idols, then even better!! My favourite actors are the older veterans (30s and above. Must watch actors are Kim Hee Ae, Kim Sun Ah, Kim Seo Hyung, Park Min Young, Lee Jae Wook, Jeon DoYeon, Youn Yuh Jung, Yoon Eun Hye, Gong Yoo.... The list is long

3. Writernim.... I will watch anything by No Hee Kyung, Park Hae Young and Jung Sung Joo, no questions asked, no hesitation.

4. On the rare occasion, the trailer will draw me in. I wasn't too intrigued by the synopsis of Psycho but it's Okay, but that trailer!! I've never been so excited by a trailer/teaser in my drama watching life!

My top dramas...

My Mister

Secret Love Affair

City Hall

SKY Castle

More Beautiful than a Flower

A Wife's Credentials

One Spring Night

Woman of Dignity

Dal Ja's Spring

Dating in the Kitchen

Love Scenery

Psycho but it's Okay

Lost

Marriage not Dating

Can we Love

Emergency Couple

Landmark dramas

My Name is Kim Sam Soon

Coffee Prince

Qué Sera Sera

Alone in Love

Painter of the Wind

Money War

Full House

Winter Sonata

Around 40

• Like 3
  • Blob 5

It's funny about ratings. There are some shows that tank in the ratings in Korea, but are popular with an international audience. Conversely, there are dramas that have very good rating in Korea but ignored by international fans.

Also, Korean audience ratings are very much influenced by time slot in the broadcast schedule. I have seen some very good dramas that happened to be in a crappy time slot.

One such drama was Youth of May. Largely ignored by the Korean audience due to its Mon/Tue timeslot but was very good IMO.

• Like 4
  • Blob 4

22 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

Chingu, how will you define good dramas?

For me a good drama is one which would force me to think about it. Of course no fast forwarding. I like character driven plot more. Good acting is must as that's what expresses the theme and plot. Also the ending has to be justified and not some plot twist just to please the fans. 

My top 15 is:

Stranger 1 and 2

Signal 

Life 

Mother 

Sky Castle 

Move to Heaven 

Lost

Dark (German)

The Victim's game (Taiwanese)

Missing Noir M

Criminal:UK (2nd season)

Criminal:Germany

Beyond Evil

Children of Nobody

Nobody Knows

• Like 4
  • Blob 4

7 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:
  • Nobody Knows
  • Children of Nobody
  • Liar Game
  • Secret

Yes to these! :glasses:

I know Secret might not be everyone's cup of tea, but after the latest re-watch we did of this drama I really came to appreciate it for its complexity and imperfect people. :kiss_wink:

5 hours ago, Gumiho said:

4. Goong

7. Full house

These classics are AWESOME :love:

5 hours ago, liddi said:

空から降る一億の星 Hundred Million Stars From the Sky (2002)

Mother (2010)

Omo! Are these the dramas that were remade into Korean versions?

I haven't watched the Japanese versions, but the Korean ones were absolutely gut wrenching. Both made me cry so much.  :bawling: Did you watch the remakes?

33 minutes ago, pompyavi said:

Signal

Mother

Children of Nobody

Nobody Knows

These are on my top list too, dongsaeng ! :kiss_wink:

2 hours ago, africandramalover said:

Qué Sera Sera

OMG! Finally I found someone on this site who also has watched Que Sera Sera!!!!!!!!!

milk-and-mocha-bear-couple.gif

That drama is insanely good! Like it's about majorly flawed people, but it's just soooo captivating in its own quirky way.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

Just now, partyon said:

OMG! Finally I found someone on this site who also has watched Que Sera Sera!!!!!!!!!

That drama is insanely good! Like it's about majorly flawed people, but it's just soooo captivating in its own quirky way

QSS had one of the most amazing sound tracks in KDrama history as far as I'm concerned. The pre-2010 drama soundtracks have stayed with me, probably because they were the dramas that got me hooked to KDrama. I love them like a "first love" in a drama.

The soundtrack from Lost/Human Disqualification by Kim YoonA, feels like an old school drama OST to me. Kind of like Dazzling Days from QSS.

Spoiler

Noonbushin Naldeul - QSS 

Kim YoonA's OST from Lost 

• Like 3
  • Awesome 2
  • Blob 2

43 minutes ago, africandramalover said:

QSS had one of the most amazing sound tracks in KDrama history as far as I'm concerned. Those pre-2010 dramas had soundtracks that have stayed with me since I watched the dramas. I love the soundtrack from Lost/Human Disqualification by Kim YoonA, precisely because it feels like an old school drama OST to me. Kind of like Dazzling Days from QSS.

True! OSTs from back then were more original in my opinion.

Que Sera Sera's OST:

You know that there have been talks for years that they will do a remake of QSS. Do you think they can do justice to the original version starring Eric and Jung Yumi?

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

3 hours ago, partyon said:

You know that there have been talks for years that they will do a remake of QSS. Do you think they can do justice to the original version starring Eric and Jung Yumi?

Nope.... I don't see any need to touch this masterpiece. They should let it and Goong Princess Hours rest. 

This was the first drama I saw with a proper kiss after watching so many fish eye kisses... I was so shocked, but pleasantly so. There's no one right now in their 20s with the talent to pull off this drama AND the kiss scenes.

3 hours ago, partyon said:

True! OSTs from back then were more original in my opinion

Most of my OST playlist is from this era. The entire soundtrack in a drama was unskippable, unlike now when I only choose one or two songs. I pop this particular song into a player, add the bass and wait for the beat to drop at 0:19!! Just amazing!!

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

10 hours ago, Gumiho said:

1. The kingdom series

3. Healer

5. I can hear your voice

6. Doctor stranger

10. Mask

Chingu I loved watching these dramas from your list :piggydance:

While only Kingdom series made to my list (again since it is vert hard to choose your top 15), I have re-watched all those dramas at least once :issohappy:

10 hours ago, liddi said:

Thank You (2007)

Tree with Deep Roots (2011)
Signal (2016)
Children of Nobody (2018)
Missing:The Other Side (2020)

Chingu I loved your list, and these are the dramas I have watched from them and loved watching as well. "Thank You" is a very good drama, I have re-watched it a couple of times, and I love this drama a lot. I see myself re-watching that drama again :fullofhearts:

10 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

@Sleepy Owl I thought of one more thing that makes for good dramas: the fashion.

I totally agree, and it is much better if we have least number of fashion terrorists as well :joy:

8 hours ago, rocher22 said:

If I like any part of the drama in particular, its a good drama for me.

It doesnt matter if its just a bromance or scenes with SL...    :D

- The K-2

- My Country: The New Age

- Stranger

- Sketch

- Mr.Sunshine

- Chicago Typewriter

- Children of a Lesser God

- Gap Dong

Well, for me, if I like a particular in part in drama, I do check them out from time to time as well :exercice:

Children of Lesser God and Gap Dong are in my watchlist for sometime, and I hope I will watch them soon. Especially Gap Dong which is a good psychological thriller from what I know. 

Sketch was a good watch for me, and so was K2. The other dramas I have loved them, especially "My Country: The New Age".

7 hours ago, Sky Kang said:

I usually not watch dramas because of ratings. I watch dramas because the actors I want are there. Everyone have different taste too so we might think the drama is good but the others don't. It depends on our personal preference unless the bad points are too obvious. 

Definitely Chingu. A bad drama for me would be one of the best dramas for someone else. So it is always something that differs from person to person.

I also checkout the awards to see which movies and dramas have won it and sometimes check out those dramas as well. 

5 hours ago, pompyavi said:

For me a good drama is one which would force me to think about it. Of course no fast forwarding. I like character driven plot more. Good acting is must as that's what expresses the theme and plot. Also the ending has to be justified and not some plot twist just to please the fans. 

I agree. Especially in the psychological thrillers and suspense dramas, and even Sageuks, if they continue to make you think, come up with theories and they also justify the events happening properly, it means that the writing has been really good. 

Sometimes, I don't care about the ending, but how we reach that ending. Best example would be "Beyond Evil" where most of us already had doubts about the killer, had guessed who the serial killer was. But that wasn't the main point of the drama, it was how it reached that point and explained the events properly by revealing things at the perfect moments. How the mystery was uncovered in the drama itself was really well executed. Of course the acting in that drama was too good as well. 

Chingu your list contains the drama that are in my top list and also the remaining kdramas are the ones which are top in my watchlist :hooray:

7 hours ago, africandramalover said:

Ratings are not important for me. But I feel pain when a drama I love isn't doing well ratings-wise. Lost is the most recent example. I want the actors to succeed by starring in a highly rated drama.

Of course it is painful. Since the that drama you love watching and feel it to be great, you also want it to be recognized by other people. At the same time, ratings somewhat define if the drama was successful during its run, and so we all want it to be successful as well. 

By the way, I love your list as well :fullofhearts:

5 hours ago, partyon said:

I know Secret might not be everyone's cup of tea, but after the latest re-watch we did of this drama I really came to appreciate it for its complexity and imperfect people. :kiss_wink:

Noona, This is the drama I have already re-watched 4-5 times (lost the count, but shouldn't be more than 5). Every time I watched it, I noticed how well written this drama is. It surely is a draining one, but all characters being imperfect, complex, were well written and perfectly executed  :fullofhearts:

6 hours ago, joccu said:

@Sleepy Owl  Chingu, your list is also impressing. :heart: I really loved your Sageuk list! :heart:

Chingu, Sageuk being my most favorite genre had to have a top 15 of itself, otherwise my actual top 15 would have majority of them which wouldn't be fair for other dramas currently in that list right now :joy:

PS: Seeing the top 15 lists of everyone, I am adding the ones I have not watched in my watchlist :piggydance:

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Blob 2

13 hours ago, partyon said:

Omo! Are these the dramas that were remade into Korean versions?

I haven't watched the Japanese versions, but the Korean ones were absolutely gut wrenching. Both made me cry so much.  :bawling: Did you watch the remakes?

@partyonYes, these are the ones that had K-remakes "The Smile has Left Your Eyes", and Lee Boyoung's "Mother", which I did watch and cry over as well, but I still prefer the originals for their difference in approach.

The original Hundred Million Stars from the Sky is far darker than its adaptation,

Spoiler

with no last-minute respite from the terrible truths that confront the characters. For me, the K-adaptation is more focused on KMY's redemption and the loveline as it were, which to me, detracts from the confronting impact of the original. Ryo (KMY's J-counterpart) is much more flawed and broken, a frightening, manipulative monster and the script does not try to excuse his actions, nor does it spare us from the shocking end.

As for Mother, having watched both the Korean and C-adaptations (不完美的她 Imperfect Love), the original remains the definitive version for me, embodying the undiluted core theme of motherhood through its narrative, without the need for added suspense in the form of looming threats from the past and/or present. It too is unafraid to go down the road less taken, 

Spoiler

and there is no happy conclusion in the near future which makes it far more heartbreaking.

Do let me know how you find them if you do watch them in future!

@joccu @Sleepy Owl Yes! Despite being introduced to Kong Hyojin and kdramaland through Master's Sun, Thank You and Lee Youngshin still remains my favourite drama and character of hers. The script and the issues it covers resonates with me in so many ways, shattering my heart even as it inspires me. A rewatch is definitely in order in the near future for me too. There has only been one adaptation I know of so far (C-remake 天使的幸福 Angelo), but although the female lead Liu Shishi is a favourite of mine, the drama itself fails to hit the mark as far as I am concerned, and the original still remains the go-to version.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

@joccu I agree. Having chosen to go down that path, the script could only have ended the way it did... any other outcome would have been impossible. And the epilogue with Dojima was the perfect footnote for the bereft one left behind... as he must go on in the wake of his loss.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1

Nope. High ratings dramas are not always the best one. Sometimes they have high ratings because of the popular lead but the stories meh...

A romcom cliche with predictable ending is definitely not the best one. It was good at the beginning but we would be boring in the middle. Well it's just my opinion since I don't like romcom.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1

Below listed are my top favourite, it wasn't easy as they are too many to choose from...anyway, below are not in ranking order :

1. My Mister
  2. Beyond Evil
  3. Undercover
  4. When the Camellia Blooms
  5. It's Okay to Not Be Okay
  6. The World of Married
  7. Hotelier
  8. Beautiful World
  9. Arthdal Chronicles
  10. Mama (by Song Yoon Ah)
  11. The Veil (Black Sun)
  12. Stranger Season 1
  13. Taxi Driver
  14. D.P.
  15. Kingdom Series

I wish to add more,.... i can only remember the latest one, I can't remember some of the earlier drama. :D

I seldom rewatch drama, as there are so many upcoming ones waiting for us to watch, currently watching "Jirisan", I will be watching next :

• Chimera,
  • Inspector Koo,
  • Crime Puzzle,
  • One Ordinary day,
  • Happiness

All the above are mainly thriller, suspense, mysterious storyline that suit my cup of tea.:D

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

Okay, inspired by the lists set forth by our chingus, here are my top 15 dramas :glasses:

In no particular order my favorite kdramas:

• Heart to Heart (the OST and quirkiness = awesome)
  • I Remember You (Bogummy <3)
  • My Name is Kim Sam Soon (a classic)
  • Liar Game (love the plot twists)
  • Que Sera Sera (imperfect people everywhere....)
  • Secret (Love) (imperfect people everywhere - part 2....)
  • Signal (beautifully done, great acting)
  • Mother ( :bawling:)
  • Your Honor  (Yoon Shi Yoon playing twins with opposite personalities - sign me up!)
  • Go Back Couple ( :bawling: part 2)
  • Tunnel (amazing story)
  • Children of Nobody (proper psychological thriller)
  • Flower of Evil (if we forget the ending....)
  • Nobody Knows (proper psychological thriller part 2)
  • Eulachacha Waikiki (okay, I love to laugh and this one made me laugh... a lot :D )

Favorite Japanese dramas:

• Boku dake ga Inai Machi (aka Erased) (amazing child actors)
  • Mother Game (single moms rock!)

Favorite Thai lakorns:

• Keun Ruk Salub Chata (realistic soul swap story)
  • Plerng Boon (makjang galore but what can I say.... I still watched it :D)

Favorite Taiwanese dramas:

• Down With Love (who can resist Jerry Yan...)
  • Moon River (this is so silly I can't stop laughing :D )
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 2

20 hours ago, liddi said:

@joccu @Sleepy Owl Yes! Despite being introduced to Kong Hyojin and kdramaland through Master's Sun, Thank You and Lee Youngshin still remains my favourite drama and character of hers. The script and the issues it covers resonates with me in so many ways, shattering my heart even as it inspires me. A rewatch is definitely in order in the near future for me too. There has only been one adaptation I know of so far (C-remake 天使的幸福 Angelo), but although the female lead Liu Shishi is a favourite of mine, the drama itself fails to hit the mark as far as I am concerned, and the original still remains the go-to version.

To me, it was Thank You which introduced Kong Hyo Jin, and I still believe Thank You was her best drama I have ever watched. I enjoyed watching Master's Sun, but I will always rate Thank You higher :exercice:

21 hours ago, rolisrntex said:

Youth Of May

Thirty but Seventeen

Sohn: The Guest (horror drama but very good)

I loved watching these dramas. Especially The Guest, since it is among the rare horror Kdramas which remained the best till the end. Ending was great too according to me. I would love to see another horror kdrama just like this :piggydance:

5 hours ago, lebeaucouple said:
  • Beyond Evil
  • Undercover
  • It's Okay to Not Be Okay
  • The World of Married
  • Arthdal Chronicles
  • The Veil (Black Sun)
  • Stranger Season 1
  • Taxi Driver
  • D.P.
  • Kingdom Series

I have watched these dramas, and some of them like Kingdom Series and Beyond Evil made my top 15 list as well. I like the list of yours. It contains the dramas that I either enjoyed watching, or it contains the ones that are in my watchlist. :fullofhearts:

• My Mister
  • Mama (by Song Yoon Ah)

These 2 dramas are very high in my watchlist. I was actually going to watch "Mama", but then went for "Smile Has Left Your Eyes" and since it was draining enough for me (even though it is among my favorites), I just couldn't go for Mama. How did you like that drama (Mama) Chingu? 

• Chimera,
  • Inspector Koo,
  • Crime Puzzle,
  • One Ordinary day,
  • Happiness

I am looking forward to these dramas as well :approves:

2 hours ago, partyon said:
  • I Remember You (Bogummy <3)
  • Liar Game (love the plot twists)
  • Secret (Love) (imperfect people everywhere - part 2....)
  • Signal (beautifully done, great acting)
  • Your Honor  (Yoon Shi Yoon playing twins with opposite personalities - sign me up!)
  • Go Back Couple ( :bawling: part 2)
  • Tunnel (amazing story)
  • Children of Nobody (proper psychological thriller)
  • Flower of Evil (if we forget the ending....)
  • Nobody Knows (proper psychological thriller part 2)
  • Eulachacha Waikiki (okay, I love to laugh and this one made me laugh... a lot :D )

Noona, I love all these dramas in your list, and I am sure you know it :issohappy:

Of course leaving out Flower of Evil, since I am still not over the illogical stuff happened in the final few episodes and also the ending :smashes:

If that wouldn't have happened, this drama would have very easily entered my top 15 list as well.

Apart from them, "Heart to Heart" and "Mother" are already in my watchlist, and I will surely watch them since you have liked those dramas, and our taste in dramas usually match :fullofhearts:

• Like 1
  • Love 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, Sleepy Owl said:

Especially The Guest, since it is among the rare horror Kdramas which remained the best till the end. Ending was great too according to me. I would love to see another horror kdrama just like this 

I'm normally not a horror flick/drama kind of person but I watched because my favorite actress Shim Yi-Young had a small part in it (the mother of the possessed little girl in Ep 8-9). It started off good kept you guessing and interested from start to finish. And the ending was out of left field for me. Never would have guessed who Park Il-Do was. The drama was really underrated.

• Like 1
  • Blob 4