Poll: Are Ratings the Best way to Judge a drama?

Sleepy Owl

Are Ratings the Best way to Judge a drama?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Top 15 tvN dramas with highest viewership (Please choose up to 4)

2. 2. Top 15 JTBC dramas with highest viewership (Please choose up to 4)

• World of the Married
    • Sky Castle
    • Itaewon Class
    • The Lady In Dignity
    • The Light In Your Eyes
    • Strong Woman Do Bong-soon
    • My Kids Give Me A Headache
    • Misty
    • The Good Detective
    • Something In The Rain
    • Law School
    • Sisyphus: The Myth
    • Beyond Evil
    • Beautiful World
    • My ID Is Gangnam Beauty
  3. 3. Are Ratings the Best way to Judge a drama?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/31/2021 at 09:00 AM

Thank you for tagging me @Sleepy Owl 

I could not vote because of I don’t watch most of JTBC drama. Too serious for my taste. Hahahaa.. JtBC dramas are not my thing ^_* 

I have never watch any kdrama or any drama ever because of ratings or plots or any.. the most important part in my dramas usually is: just handsome lead males :biubiu: hahahaaaa.. oh yes. Face is very important lol. if not handsome I would not watch hahaaaaa :Pandabulous: 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Wiggle 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1
  • Blob 2

6 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

This drama had the most difficult first episode to get through, I have personally ever experienced.  Yet this drama took an outstanding cast, a moving OST, and wove a deeply touching melancholic masterpiece, that I might have missed if I based my choices solely on ratings

Lost is a great drama but not for everyone. I am enjoying it and Ryu Jun Yeol is in my list now. I knew he was good but I didn't expect him to be that good. My second favorite drama of the year after Move to Heaven

• Like 5
  • Blob 4

What makes me check out a drama: an intriguing premise. 

What makes me actually stick around and watch it:  excellent writing and acting.

I may hear about a drama because of the ratings, but that doesn't mean I will find it good. (I don't like the game-where-people-are-murdered genre, so Squid Game is never ever going to do it for me, no matter how well created it is.) However, I don't automatically avoid dramas that have high ratings, because likewise, that would mean I was giving up my own choice to someone else's opinion. Some dramas are popular simply because they are well done, and everyone can see it. (Crash Landing comes to mind.) 

What I can't stand in a drama: poor writing, an abusive relationship portrayed as if it was cute, and a truly good actor paired with an idol who can't act. Some idols can act, it's true, but many are dropped in there because the producers know it will draw all their fangirls, and that some viewers only care about dimples and shower scenes and oppppaaaaaa! (or unnie, I find non-acting girl group idols difficult to watch as well). However, I guess I can sort of understand this in a small way, as there are a handful of dramas that I have stuck through out of sheer fan loyalty (loyalty to someone who nevertheless can act), despite an inferior script. 

But really, the best moments to me are the ones where truly stellar actors are handed a solid script. I want something to happen. I want the things that are at stake to matter. I want to see characters tested hard, I want to see them grow, and I want a satisfying payoff at the end. (This is also why I am not a fan of the multi-season drama that Netflix wants to push these days. My whole point for watching Kdramas over western media is because I want a satisfying ending!)

• Like 6
  • Blob 4

Hi guys!

Thank you @Sleepy Owl chingu for tagging me! I haven't watched any of tvN dramas so I can't submit my vote for other two sections as well! :bawling:

And I think Korean dramas aways have an international audience out there! So I don't really care for Korean ratings at all! Even the lowest rated dramas win awards... :heart:

• Like 5
  • Blob 2

4 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

I don't look in Production house as well. But I do check the scriptwriter first. There are some scriptwriters who I want to avoid and if I see those names, I just skip the drama. I check the actors, genre as well, but if I find the plot interesting enough, and the writer is not from my backlist, I usually check out the drama.

Production House can differ in Kdrama and Cdrama. Cdrama some Production Houses have guaranteed quality and Hits like Daylight Entertainment <Ode2Joy, Nirvana in Fire, Battle of Changsha, Love me if you dare>

and some which always have Hit and Miss but worth a chance then decide like Jaywalk <Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms, Sweet Dreams , Legend of Fuyao > and Huanrui < Love and Redemption, Destiny of White snake>

So yeah that also plays a huge factor in some countries haha. 

OOO Forgot Top 15 Dramas Aushhh Ok.<Extending typing topics because I forget to read the entire thing>

Kdrama :

1. Goblin

2. Pinocchio

3. Mr Queen

4. Legend of the Blue Sea

5. Strong Girl Bong Soon

6. It's Ok not to be Ok

7. HomeTown ChacHaCha

8. Hospital Playlist

Cdrama :

1. Ashes of Love <Xianxia/Costume> 

2. Rattan<Fantasy>

3. You are my Hero<Slice of Life/Romance>

4. The Day of Becoming You <Idol Romcom>

5. You are my Glory <Modern Romance>

6. Mr. Fighting <Slice of Life>

Jdrama :

1. Kotaro Lives Alone

• Like 6
  • Blob 2

Well I´m been really picky about which dramas to watch. but still I have dropped lot of dramas.  the reason of dropping is that the plot is so oblivious or the events are just so ridiculous. 

As a person who nowdays only watches thrillers, Saguek, dailies or action dramas.  I want to watch dramas that are surprising in a good way, characters who are grey(not black or white). Villains like mishil. the romance would be the subplot(in the background). 

Edited by joccu
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

4 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

1. Do I want to see these people in something right now? In the case of FTLY the answer was Yes, I want to see Jang Hyuk and Jang Nara in something right now

Drama Gods and Goddesses, please, please make this happen again. :wub: What is IOTNBO?

@madmad min Pinocchio , yes that was a brilliant drama indeed. Not to mention the OST was daebak.

@gm4queen  and @Gumiho Agreed chingus. I  have hardly watched any JTBC dramas. That's my conclusion after taking the poll. TVN, I was spoilt for choice. I like the variety TVN offers. They are quirky.

@frozentundra Do you remember watching a highly rated drama but being disappointed by it? 

@pompyavi I put Lost in the back burner but hearing great reviews so I started watching it again.

@SilverDawn Move to Heaven is such an underrated drama. It deserves more accolades.

• Like 5
  • Love 4
  • Blob 2

6 hours ago, Lmangla said:

kekeke... I find the fan service as amusing as slaps. :lol:

I'd rather see the Kimchi slaps,

kimchi-slap-angry.gif

@the_sweetroad Chingu, that is some good way to choose the dramas. Well, as I mentioned in my previous post, I rarely, like very rarely read online reviews before deciding to watch a drama. I go to the people who have watched it, and if they remember it as a good drama, I usually go for it. 

Similarly interest in the plot also works. Like I was not into "Body Swap" dramas, but went for Mr. Queen since the plot seemed interesting to me. 

5 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

1. Do I want to see these people in something right now? In the case of FTLY the answer was Yes, I want to see Jang Hyuk and Jang Nara in something right now. Mostly because I'd never seen them in anything but people always talk about them. Same with Hometown Cha Cha Cha - I'd never seen Shin Min Ah in a drama but I had wanted to and this one looked fun.

I always want to see Jang Nara in any drama or movie anytime :heart2beat:

4 hours ago, frozentundra said:

What I can't stand in a drama: poor writing, an abusive relationship portrayed as if it was cute, and a truly good actor paired with an idol who can't act. Some idols can act, it's true, but many are dropped in there because the producers know it will draw all their fangirls, and that some viewers only care about dimples and shower scenes and oppppaaaaaa! (or unnie, I find non-acting girl group idols difficult to watch as well). However, I guess I can sort of understand this in a small way, as there are a handful of dramas that I have stuck through out of sheer fan loyalty (loyalty to someone who nevertheless can act), despite an inferior script. 

For me portrayal of toxic/abusive relationship in a rather cute/positive manner is a big no when it comes to dramas. I literally avoid such dramas if I come to know if they have something like or even sometimes drop them when I see it happen. 

For me, I can ignore the bad acting as long as it is not horrible and the plot is interesting enough to continue. But yeah, I usually look for the dramas that have proper actors. 

@madmad min Chingu, that's an impressive list. Some of those dramas in your list are among my favorite dramas :piggydance:

2 hours ago, joccu said:

As a person who only watches thrillers, saguek or action dramas.  I want to watch dramas that are surprising in a good way, characters who are grey(not black or white). Villains like mishil. the romance would be the subplot(in the background). 

We all need well written villains like Lady Mishil or Lady Choi, right?

6b9cfa0244b4b0b711123e44b6166571--dae-ja

The complex villains like I have said before as well are something that make the dramas best for me. You can't call them completely evil since you have seen their POV, but you know that they are evil one here. They are not just evil for the sake of being the evil one in the drama. A lot of times such characters don't even believe they are the bad guys. They have proper purpose for whatever they do, and confuse you as well, just like "Bidam" in Queen Seondeok did. He does not easily fit in the villain, while also cannot just be the anti-hero and definitely not hero. 

@Gumiho, @gm4queen Chingus, I believe you can still vote, since there is the option "All/None" below the final options in both poll questions. You just need to select the "None" and go ahead with submitting the vote :fullofhearts:

So @pompyavi Chingu, how will you define good dramas? :hooray:

So Chingus, here is my top 15 list. I will start with Sageuks though (maybe I am missing some since I am sure I have missed some really good dramas)

1. Chuno: The Slave Hunters
  2. Six Flying Dragons
  3. Great Queen Seondeok
  4. Tree with Deep Roots
  5. Dae Jang Geum
  6. Dong Yi
  7. The Crowned Clown
  8. My Country: The New Age
  9. Kingdom
  10. Gunman in Joseon
  11. Jumong
  12. The Royal Gambler
  13. Haechi
  14. Bossam Steal the Fate
  15. Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo
  • Like 3
  • Love 5
  • Blob 1

9 hours ago, madmad min said:

I loved LOTBS and Still 17 , very very few people talk about it and one is almost unknown.

Still 17 for me is unique insofar as it has not 1 but 2 joyful reveals, the 2nd one I didn't see coming - it also has one of the most heartbreaking scenes earlier thats just that more enhanced by a great OST, when the FL wakes up believing she dreamed the ML visited her in the night, only to realize he's gone, and it wasn't a dream, he actually did visit her in the night ... to say goodbye :cry:

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

33 minutes ago, confusedheart said:

Drama Gods and Goddesses, please, please make this happen again. What is IOTNBO?

@confusedheart IOTNBO is It's Okay to Not Be Okay :)

33 minutes ago, confusedheart said:

have hardly watched any JTBC dramas.

If you're a Lee Sun Kyun fan, the JTBC show "This Week My Wife is Having An Affair" is pretty good - there's comedy, heartbreak, a fun 2nd couple (Lee Sang Yeob is hilarious), and some subtle social commentary. I was surprised by how much I liked it. It's also only 12 episodes.

18 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

I always want to see Jang Nara in any drama or movie anytime

She is so cute!!

What should I watch her in next? Is there one where she plays a more confident character?

• Like 3
  • Blob 3

My top 15 list:

Great Queen Seon deok

Nobody knows 

Children of nobody

Cruel city

Kinou nani tabeta? (j-drama) 

Life is beautiful (2010)

My lovely Sam Soon

Temptation of wife (daily) 

Word of honor ( C-drama) 

The guest 

The prison playbook

Mine

Life:senjou no bokura (j-drama) 

Hot stove league 

Gloria

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

17 hours ago, confusedheart said:

Do you remember watching a highly rated drama but being disappointed by it? 

Yes, and if I named it here, I would be lynched (it's on several people's favorite lists. :D ) Instead of being romantic (as most people see it), I found the relationship incredibly abusive. It had some good points, but ehhh I had a hard time with that one. 

But the wonderful, wonderful thing about the Korean drama industry is that there are just so. many. well done dramas. If one doesn't suit your taste, there are zillions more out there for you. I feel like I am watching dramas all the time, yet there are so many I haven't even gotten to that I still intend to watch! 

I don't even know how to list a top 15. The ones nearer the top are definitely always on my list, but I keep finding more good ones and so later on, that part of the list gets reshuffled:

1.      W—Two Worlds

2.      Crash Landing on You

3.      I Hear Your Voice

4.      Pinocchio

5.      Mother (with Lee Bo Young)

6.      Go Ahead (Chinese drama)

7.      Brilliant Legacy

8.      Master’s Sun

9.      School 2013 

10.  Shopping King Louis

11.  Healer

12.  Goblin

13.  Dong Yi

14.  Terius Behind Me

15.  Because This is My First Life

• Like 4
  • Blob 3

2 hours ago, joccu said:

Nobody knows 

Children of nobody

My lovely Sam Soon

Yes to all of these, chingu!

:wow1:

21 minutes ago, frozentundra said:

5.      Mother (with Lee Bo Young)

Absolutely, this is a FANTASTIC drama! I cried so much. :bawling:

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1

Are Ratings the Best way to Judge a drama?  

Great poll, btw @partyon, @agenth, @confusedheart, @Sleepy Owl 

My answer is an obvious NO. Judging from the threads I'm usually active.  But ratings also important for commercial succes for production and nework.

Dramas are there for us to be entertained. It's there to let us unwind. Not to think things and be stressed. There are viewers who watch to relax. They want a drama that's not complicated. Not too much shouting. Nothing complex. It really depends on the viewers and their choice. Like I always say we watch for our own pleasure. Just want to say that.

If the drama doesn't give you that excitment and bore you to death but rating is hitting the roof with viewers, there are reasons for that: 1. Curiosity-. everyone's watching so lets watch. 2. popular leads- nevermind mediocre acting. But it's really the latter. I mean lets be honest people tend watch a drama to see their fav actors. Yes?

I always say you can put stars and all that, but if I don't feel the drama, or either acting, the writing, the directing, the editing cinematography is bad.... no matter if dramas  have supertar leads. I'm not going to watch. Most times, if I'm less ethusiastic I fon't bother to watch at all

What always happens is the dramas I tend not to watch the the ones that has high ratings.

Most of of the kdramas I like they're always under the radar.  Case in point. 2015 My First Time / Becasue It's The First Time. ( Park So Dam, Kim Min Jae..etc).  This drama was so good. I went as far as saying it deserves praise for it's writing, directing, and story.  The writer for this drama is top caliber and so is the director ( CLOY, LOM, Criminal Minds, The Good Wife, Heartless City etc)

Btw, the writer for the said drama I mentioned is same as the writer Five Enough (2016). I know the rating for this drama is good. I rarely watch more than 16 eps drama but  I watch this 50 episode drama from start to finish and I love it! I always say dialogues are well written. This drama has my fav and best kdrama couple in kdramaland.

So yeah ratings does not make a drama.

Now it's bit different  for me..if I'm watching  C-Drama or J-drama. I find that most of the dramas I tend to watch really have high ratings plus they're effing good and well made with good writing and acting. But it's a hit or miss for me if it's TW drama

Now how about that best kdrama couple poll? :P:D

• Like 7
  • Blob 3

11 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Jang Na-Ra as Hong Ji-A in Sell Your Haunted House

She was outstanding in this drama 

She literally carried that drama and as you said was outstanding in it :heart2beat:

7 hours ago, jongski said:

I always say you can put stars and all that, but if I don't feel the drama, or either acting, the writing, the directing, the editing cinematography is bad.... no matter if dramas  have supertar leads. I'm not going to watch. Most times, if I'm less ethusiastic I fon't bother to watch at all

I do agree with you here Chingu. If the writing is not good, bringing in top stars to act in the drama becomes nothing for me as well :approves:

14 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

What should I watch her in next? Is there one where she plays a more confident character?

You can go for "Sell your haunted house" as @LeftCoastOppa suggested, or you can see her "Bright Girl's success", I loved this drama. I liked her in "Baby faced beauty" as well. 

@joccu Chingu, that's an impressive list!!! And I think we have 5 common dramas in our lists :piggydance:

12 hours ago, frozentundra said:

I don't even know how to list a top 15. The ones nearer the top are definitely always on my list, but I keep finding more good ones and so later on, that part of the list gets reshuffled:

Well Chingu, I had a hard time coming up with my list as well. Still, your top 15 need not be actually the top 15 dramas you have watched. We all have watched so many dramas that while coming with list might have forgotten some really good ones. But let's say the top 15 dramas you loved, consider as good dramas and would recommend it to anyone any day :hooray:

By the way, I love your list, and have a lot of dramas in that one :fullofhearts:

Here is my other list of top 15 dramas (excluding the Sageuks since I already posted a list for it)

1. Beyond Evil
  2. Nobody Knows
  3. Children of Nobody
  4. 18 Again
  5. Bright Girl's Success
  6. Fated To Love You
  7. The Guest
  8. Hot Stove League
  9. Liar Game
  10. On the verge of Insanity
  11. Secret
  12. Because This is My First Life
  13. Mr. Sunshine
  14. Still 17
  15. Soul Mechanic
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 3

I will try to make my top 15 kdramas.. mmm..

1. The kingdom series

2. My love from the star

3. Healer

4. Goong

5. I can hear your voice

6. Doctor stranger

7. Full house

8. W two worlds

9. Hotel del luna

10. Mask

11. Prime Minister and I

12. Goblin

13. Vincenzo

14. Love Rain

15. CLOY. I almost forget Hyun Bin oppa’s eyes :biubiu:

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1

Obviously I never read the fine print :blink: Anyway, here are my top 15 dramas from different countries and genres sorted by year... was very hard pressed to choose actually and had to reluctantly pick just one of KEH's works to make space for the rest! :sweatingbullets:  (Had to reluctantly edit my list and remove one because clearly I can't count either!)

Kdramas

Thank You (2007)
Story of a Man (2011)
Tree with Deep Roots (2011)
Misaeng (2014)
Signal (2016)
Prison Playbook (2017)
Children of Nobody (2018)
Missing:The Other Side (2020)
Move to Heaven (2021)

Cdramas

步步惊心 Scarlet Heart (2011)
琅琊榜之风起长林 Nirvana in Fire 2 (2017)
琉璃 Love and Redemption (2020)
平凡的荣耀 Ordinary Glory (2020)

Jdramas

空から降る一億の星 Hundred Million Stars From the Sky (2002)
Mother (2010)

• Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Blob 1