A Blast from the Past

confusedheart

How did you start watching K-dramas?

The 1st time? Just because there are slots in tv

Was there a specific K-drama that made you stay?

Yup. My Girl (lee dong wook, lee da hae, lee jung ki).

Which 3-5 K-dramas are the best dramas you've ever watched?

Hurm...

1- My Girl (maybe because this drama is my real 1st love. Haha)

2- prison playbook (heck so funny and meaningful)

3- hot stove league (again.. i like the message)

4- wok of love (i fall in love with 2pm junho because of this drama)

5- daejanggeum (perghh... This drama is awesome but i dont think i can rewatch it since the drama is too long).

Why would you recommend K-dramas to others who know nothing about them?

Hurmmm... I dont know anyone who did not watch kdrama. Even my mom crazy about kdrama now.

What do K-dramas mean to you?

My stress-free moment

Which K-drama you cannot stop yourself from re-watching?

no 1-4 from my drama list above.

• Like 2
  • Love 5
  • Blob 1

21 hours ago, partyon said:

Ooh, so interesting to read your stories on how you got into kdramas ! :love:

@kokodus Ms. Koko, didn't you recently watch Squid Game? I was very surprised because you normally opt for fluffy romantic dramas like you wrote in your post. :kiss_wink:
Will you be watching the Thai version of BOF that will start airing before Christmas?

@Sky Kang @lebeaucouple I haven't watched When the Camellia Blooms. Is there anything specific (character, plot line, feeling, etc) in the drama that makes the drama so memorable for you? :kiss_wink:

@the_sweetroad Kim Soo Hyun is your dongsaeng? Wow! :wow2:How did he become your dongsaeng?

@rocher22 @willenette Our EO @agenth will love you two forever for mentioning K2. It features her oppa. :happy2:

@LeftCoastOppa Mr. Oppa, I am shocked that you didn't mention Alice! :scream:

@Lmangla Man In a Veil, huh? It was the kimbap abs that drew you in - admit it ! :loolz:
@Ameera Ali will never forget its dead fish kissing scenes. :joy:

@gm4queen have you watched the Thai version of Full House? It's a great remake. :glasses: No makjang on steroids - I promise. :joy:

@joccu My Name is Kim Sam Soon - one of my favorites too! Hyun Bin's and Kim Sun Ah's characters were too annoying many times, but they just cracked me up so much. I still rewatch it from time to time.

Poor Binnie :joy: (cr. to owner)

@Chesleigh Omo! I've heard many good things about The Princess' Man. It's been on my watchlist for years already.  @Sleepy Owl dongsaeng, wanna watch it with me?

@sadthe1st I can't deny it ! A drama with great abs is a must watch for me! :love:

@Sunset Ooh, I am one of those who prefers the TW version of Fated To Love You. Sorry chingu. There was too much noble idiocy for my taste in the k-version....

:emmm:

@maribella Any specific reason you like daily dramas? I think you often watch those. What was your first daily drama? :kiss_wink:

@BlackLotus1025 Something Happened in Bali has a special place in my heart too! Jo In Sung was amazing in his role and to me it's still so cool to see his talented performance in it - especially taking into account his young age at the time the drama was airing. Too bad he doesn't often appear in dramas anymore. :tears:

@madmad min I also find the most memorable dramas for me to be before 2016. I was going through my completed dramas list and almost all the ones I have loved the most have been pre 2014. :grimace:

@musicalflow. Kill Me Heal Me was one of Ji Sung's most impressive roles. I loved the drama! I also quote Ahn Yoona from time to time:

cr. to owner

Sorry for the long post folks - haha

@partyon ohhh.................he is my oppa, too. I like him very much. He's one of my biases.  :sweet:

• Love 3
  • Blob 2

1 hour ago, Rumaizah Muhammed said:

3- hot stove league (again.. i like the message)

4- wok of love (i fall in love with 2pm junho because of this drama)

Oh yes! Jang Hyuk and Namgoong Min. I liked how they fought back. The 'journey' was amazing, truly a memorable one. Namgoong Min was perfect for the role. I like how he gives a very controlled performance. Emoting just enough 

@j9sshi I wish I could get my mom to watch them too. I haven't given up. It would be so cool to watch it with my mom too.  But I have made her listen to K-dramas and she loves them. Pinocchio made me cry buckets. It was just so sad. But, eventually we had a happily ever after and I was happy. It has one of the best K-drama OSTs.  In fact, I decided to watch W and Tree of Heaven because of the two leads. Tree of Heaven made me cry buckets again. That was just so sad. :criesariver:

@nohamahamoud2002 My takeaway from this poll is watch Stairway to Heaven  among few others asap. Everyone's been raving about it and I really want to watch it after watching the trailer / reading the synopsis on Wiki.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Blob 1

5 minutes ago, confusedheart said:

@j9sshi I wish I could get my mom to watch them too. I haven't given up. It would be so cool to watch it with my mom too.  But I have made her listen to K-dramas and she loves them.

try family weekend dramas or daily dramas. a recent good daily drama was "be my dream family" -- really well-written with interesting characters, realistic problems that will reasonate anywhere and no random unnecessary drama. the other genre is saeguks -- some really enjoy that.

• Love 4
  • Blob 2

10 hours ago, Lmangla said:

ooh, what a nice story. I can honestly say that I have learned a lot and grown as a person from watching kdramas and the discussions on soompi. like you said, sometimes, it just has to do with timing. you are grappling with something and you are totally strucky by the dialogue in the drama or the discussion on the thread. so yea, who can say that watching dramas isn't good for you? :D

so, here is my encyclopedia mode answer (so chingus, please ignore if that isn't your thing). :lol: hahahahah...

Hide contents

#1  so 80% of the world languages or more, the words for mom and dad are usually framed around 'ma' sound and 'ba'/'pa' sound. the reason is that as babies learn to babble, the way tongue folds in the mouth, these two sounds are the easiest to make. so the words for mother and father across many languges do sound similar. 

#2 so there is the legend of the indian princess who went to korea, married the king and started the first dynasty of gaya. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heo_Hwang-ok 

now there are different interpretations on where she exactly came from (some say to the north), there are arguments that based on the coins (which depict two fishes), it was the pandaya kingdom (which was a kingdom in southern india). if she really did come from the pandaya kingdom, then it isn't surprising that a few tamil words would have creeped into korean perhaps... 

#3 the impacts of martime silk road -- most have heard of the silk routes that took place over land but many are not aware of the history of the silk route that happened by sea. out of all the southern kingdoms, the most powerful was the chola kingdom and the impact they had on various countries. for those who are not aware, they had a mini kingdom in indonesia at one point and the cholas also impacted the politics of different indonesia kingdoms at various times. they even had an outpost in philippines and there is a whole kingdom that arose from one descendant. they basically had various trading outpost across southeast asia and so you can see the impact in small ways still reasonate.

for example, if you take the history of idli (steamed rice cake), you find variations of that in so many places. why? and how did rice plant migrate from one place to another? then there is the script of many languages -- so thai and cambodian have curved scripts just like tamil. the reason is that writing was done on palm leaves and scripts with straight lines would makes the leaves tear. so the scripts had to be curved and circles in order for the leaves to act as paper. so those are the kind of cultural exchange impacts from history long ago! 

so your question on how tamil and korean are having common words is most likely a combination of different factors. who knows but it is fun to see them all come into play no? 

I am also fascinated by all the history.

Yes I know the story of the indian princess and many believe she was indeed Tamil. I know Hindi and I feel that korean is more related to the dravidian or southern languages. India was a very rich country then, so I am not surprised that there was so many trading going on.

The word Thai in Thailand is actually tamil. Thai means mother in tamil. Tamil is one of the oldest languages so I guess it makes sense that it had a lot of influence.

More than idli, it is the dumplings that have me fascinated. I've seen them in korean dramas. It's called Mandu in korean I think. Those are called mumus in nepal, modhak in north india, Kozhukkattai in tamil. We usually make it as a sweet dish but I have seen it made with veggies in other countries.

Not only is the food but also the culture in general mostly the same. I remember how shocked I was when I saw in FTLY that Kim Mi Young named her fetus as Gae Dong (dog poop). I know one of my own family member who named her child "beggar" because there is a superstition that if a woman miscarries a lot of babies, they keep such names so that it will be strong. I was like, same superstitions????

When I was young, though I never knew that all asians had such common elements. China and India does have a cold and tensed relationship politically. Watching kdramas, cdrama, taiwanese dramas made me realize how similar we all are. It's a shame that politics aims at dividing people.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
  • Blob 1

2 hours ago, confusedheart said:

@nohamahamoud2002 My takeaway from this poll is watch Stairway to Heaven  among few others asap. Everyone's been raving about it and I really want to watch it after watching the trailer / reading the synopsis on Wiki

It is a bit sad, I warn you :)

did you watch Heartstrings?

Heartstrings and Sunny Again Tomorrow are the reason I continue watching kdrama :)

• Love 2
  • Blob 2

On 10/10/2021 at 7:43 PM, confusedheart said:

EVENT- A Blast from the Past

Do you remember binge-watching your first K-drama and falling in love with the amazing and fascinating world of K-dramas?  

We all have our favourite K-dramas that have struck a chord with us. Let us take a walk down the memory lane to see if these dramas have stood the test of time and are as enjoyable as they were when we first watched them.

As we re-live the nostalgia, chingus, we have a few quick questions for you. We are all ears to know how your journey began.

I start when everybody watching it.

Stay where? Stay watching kdramas? mmmm.. Nope.

3. first, the best kdrama is the kingdom series (and Joo Ji Hoon oppa of course ;) ). And I have been waiting for the season 3 now.

Second best is, I can hear your voice. I just love watching it because of Lee Jong Suk is too handsome ha ha ha ha

the third best, Goblin ;)

Of course because of the handsome oppas ;)

Just to entertain me if I do nothing.

I don't rewatch. It is enough to watch once. We have more things to do in the reality :) 

• Like 2
  • Blob 5

Hey @confusedheart, thanks for the tag. I'll try to answer these questions for the chingus.  

1. How did you start watching K-dramas?

Netflix! I stumbled across 'Love in the Moonlight', which reminded me of the Vietnamese historical soap operas my mum used watch. Stayed up all night, binge-watching all 16 episodes. 

1. Was there a specific K-drama that made you stay?

Umm, nope. I was pretty much hooked from the start. 

1. Which 3-5 K-dramas are the best dramas you've ever watched?

Ummm, that's like asking who is your favourite child. I'll give you the list I give K-drama noobs:

1) Kingdom - it's the longer and better version of Rampant

2) Flower of Evil - mostly because of Lee Joon Gi but also because it's just a good thriller

3) Sungkyunkwan Scandal - for retro sageuk feels

4) Squid Game - there's a reason why this drama made it to the heathens who don't usually watch K-dramas.

1. Why would you recommend K-dramas to others who know nothing about them?

K-dramas are short and sweet. There's none of the fourth season fatigue that you see with multi-season dramas. 

1. What do K-dramas mean to you?

Representation. It's nice seeing the world through Asian eyes. 

1. Which K-drama you cannot stop yourself from re-watching?

I haven't really rewatched anything from K-drama-land over and over again. But if I did, I'd probably watch Feels Good to Die. Nothing better than a good time loop to keep me entertained. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
  • Blob 1

How did you start watching K-dramas? 

winter sonata

Was there a specific K-drama that made you stay? 

are you human too and sunny again tomorrow 

sunny again tomorrow, are you human too, Heartstrings 

the plot and characters are interesting 

it means happiness and sharing with friends

Which K-drama you cannot stop yourself from re-watching

Sunny again tomorrow and Heartstrings 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
  • Blob 1

10 hours ago, Gumiho said:

Absolute truth! :wub:

1 hour ago, morganian said:

4) Squid Game - there's a reason why this drama made it to the heathens who don't usually watch K-dramas.

I feel so vindicated. I have been telling my friends to watch K-drama / K movies for years now and they always turn me down. Now, they can't stop talking about this. :naughty: Are you a sageuk  fan? :wub:

K-dramas are short and sweet. There's none of the fourth season fatigue that you see with multi-season dramas. 

But the K  dramas are catching up on the trend and have started seasons. I don't have the patience to watch and wait for seasons. Oh wae oh wae do they have to get into this seasons thing? It is such a bittersweet torture waiting for the next season. But at least we don't get countless number of seasons like in most western dramas. That's a respite, indeed. So I should stop cribbing and count my blessings. :D

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1

My fam were in HK visiting fam and there were tons of stalls with cheaps VCDs / DVDs, so we bought them to watch at night.

Our first kdrama was My Lovely Kim SamSoon, but the one that made us cry and leave an impression during our trip was Sassy Girl ChunHyang. Our grandmother came out of her room and saw us crying while watching it and laughed at us.

Sassy Girl ChunHyang

I Can Hear Your Voice

Crash Landing on You

Strong Woman Do Bong Soon

Kingdom

Can be super cheesy / easy to watch.

Cliche cheesiness and tears. Also a guilty pleasure.

Sassy Girl ChunHyang? Seen it maybe 3 times. I don't often rewatch kdramas... I have also rewatched "I Can Hear Your Voice" a couple of times when trying to convince others to watch it haha.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
  • Blob 1

2. Was there a specific K-drama that made you stay?

Continuing from my last post...While I was watching Pinocchio, I saw ads and read so much about Healer, so that was my next one. There was no turning back at that point.  I was deep in the rabbit hole.. And because I loved PMY in Healer, thatq led me to Sunkyunkwan Scandal and so on.

So I think I would have to say Pinocchio and Healer sealed the deal for me and started me on my spiral.  

I remember telling my daughter that I liked that K-dramas were only 16-20 episodes long and that was IT. No multiple seasons to drag things out. They were well written and acted, and if I really liked them, I could just watch them again.

Funny thing was, that while I continued watching K-dramas, my daughter stopped because she said 1- hour episodes were too long for her. :joy: She got used to watching Animes that had 20-30 minute episodes.   Only this past year have I been able to drag her into watching a Kdrama with me every now and then.  Lol

• Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Blob 2

3. Which 3-5 K-dramas are the best dramas you've ever watched?

I think my lists of best and favorite may differ slightly.  What is best may not always be my favorite and what is my favorite may not always be the best (quality), but sometimes they can be the same. 

With that said, here are what I think that are the best so far that I have watched: these first two are also favorites 

Pinocchio 

Healer 

Goblin 

Because This Is My First Life (written so well, and I think this was the first one I actually laughed out loud on).

Lovers of the Red Sky (I am preemptively placing this on the list even though its still running. PD please don't mess the last four episodes up)

I feel like I'm missing a couple of other ones but you did say 3-5 :blush:

The one that missed the mark and could have been epic was Scarlet Heart Ryeo. It had much potential.  

• Like 2
  • Love 3
  • Blob 1

18 hours ago, confusedheart said:

Absolute truth! :wub:

I feel so vindicated. I have been telling my friends to watch K-drama / K movies for years now and they always turn me down. Now, they can't stop talking about this. :naughty: Are you a sageuk  fan? :wub:

But the K  dramas are catching up on the trend and have started seasons. I don't have the patience to watch and wait for seasons. Oh wae oh wae do they have to get into this seasons thing? It is such a bittersweet torture waiting for the next season. But at least we don't get countless number of seasons like in most western dramas. That's a respite, indeed. So I should stop cribbing and count my blessings. :D

YASSSS, totally feeling vindicated now that all the K-drama anti-fans are watching Squid Game. It's so exciting to hear/see Squid Game memes/jokes on our local TV stations. 

And yes, I have a soft spot for sageuks. Most people fast-forward the scheming and all of the old men but I love that stuff. 

I have noticed some multi-season K-dramas cropping up here and there. The only one I've watched is Kingdom, so I don't really know what to expect. I don't think I'd like it though (can't even deal with waiting for a week, let alone a whole year to find out what happens next).

14 hours ago, j9sshi said:

Funny thing was, that while I continued watching K-dramas, my daughter stopped because she said 1- hour episodes were too long for her. :joy: She got used to watching Animes that had 20-30 minute episodes.   Only this past year have I been able to drag her into watching a Kdrama with me every now and then.  Lol

What are her thoughts on the shorter web dramas? They're usually 10-30 minute long episodes and a much shorter story arc. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
  • Blob 1

4. Why would you recommend K-dramas to others who know nothing about them?

First, Kdrama's are only one season long, and most range from 16 - 24 episodes. No multiple-season shows, that wear out your interest in them.

Second, If you like rom-coms.

There is something special about the culture of Kdramas that brings so much anticipation for skinship (whether its a touch, hug or kiss...or more :wub:

3) The Culture.

4) The beauty of Sageuks

5) the writing, the acting, especially with the child actors. Good casting for the child versions of the older leads. 

5. What do K-dramas mean to you? 

A not-so-guilty obsession. Lol. 

Entertainment 

Sometimes I feel like I'm reading a romance book.  

6. Which K-drama you cannot stop yourself from re-watching?

One Percent of Something - Steamy Romance, FL confident in herself and in her relationship with ML. Not much conflict. A good one to watch if you're in a romantic mood. 

High-End Crush - Definition of short and sweet. (and funny) Each episode is less than 20 minutes long.  I loved Jung IL Woo's performance.  Great one to watch in between dramas, or if you just need a fun light hearted drama after watching a heavy one. 

Edited by j9sshi
took out of hidden content
  • Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Blob 1

On 10/12/2021 at 8:56 AM, confusedheart said:

I wish I could get my mom to watch them too. I haven't given up. It would be so cool to watch it with my mom too.  But I have made her listen to K-dramas and she loves them.

Don't give up. I'm sure there is something out there that she likes. What type of tv shows or movies does she like to watch? Match the kdrama with her interests. That's how I roped my SIL into them. I knew she liked romance and adventure, so I got her to watch Memories of Alhambra with me. (that one goes on my "best" list as well). 

19 hours ago, confusedheart said:

But the K  dramas are catching up on the trend and have started seasons. I don't have the patience to watch and wait for seasons.

You and me both! Lol! "Oh Wae" is right!  I really hope they don't start conforming to Western TV styles. 

What are her thoughts on the shorter web dramas? They're usually 10-30 minute long episodes and a much shorter story arc. 

She has so much going on right now, she prefers to read webtoons if she has the time.   Sometimes I can get her to watch a kdrama with me if she recognizes it from a webtoon, or is similar to one that she's already read. (ie; A Korean Odyssey), and currently she just happen to be in the room while I was watching Mystic pop up Bar and became interested. Now I have to wait until we can have the same downtime together to watch the next episode!  

Last year, both she and my husband joined me in watching The Uncanny Counter.  Again, I was watching it while hubby was cooking and she happened to be in the family room on her computer, and they both got interested in it. :grin:

On 10/12/2021 at 6:29 PM, Gumiho said:

Yeusssss!!!!!:wub:

• Like 3
  • Love 4
  • Blob 1

1. How did you start watching K-dramas?

I started watching in 2001, when I was 11 years old. My mom's co-worker at the time had recommended that she start watching K-dramas. I live in Hawaii, so we have a local Korean TV channel (KBFD) that shows K-dramas and other TV programming, so my mom decided to watch it and I ended up watching with her. When I was even younger I was already watching J-dramas with my parents, so it was fun for me lol. My first drama in 2001 was 'Like Father, Unlike Son'. Not sure how many people remember that drama lol.

2. Was there a specific K-drama that made you stay?

After 2001, I continued watching K-dramas, but the one K-drama that made me an official K-drama addict was probably 'Phoenix (Firebird)' (2004) starring Lee Seo Jin, Lee Eun Joo, Eric Mun, and Jung Hye Young. Maybe a part of it was because Eric was in Shinhwa, haha. But honestly 2004, was a really good year of K-dramas: Sweet 18, Oh Pil Seung And Bong Soon Young, Full House, Emperor of the Sea, Terms of Endearment, Tropical Nights in December, Love Story in Harvard, Stairway to Heaven, Miss Kim Makes 1 Million, I'm Sorry I Love You, What Happened in Bali, Lovers in Paris, etc. The list goes on. Phoenix was really memorable for me, but the whole line-up in 2004 was quite strong so I think it was easy for me to become addicted at that point lol.

3. Which 3-5 K-dramas are the best dramas you've ever watched?

This is a really difficult question considering the amount of dramas I've watched since 2001 lol. But if I had to narrow it down, here are some (not in any particular order):

• My Mister

• Six Flying Dragons

• Marriage Contract

• Because This Is My First Life

• I'm Sorry I Love You

4. Why would you recommend K-dramas to others who know nothing about them?

I feel like the answer to this will change depending on the person you're recommending it to. K-dramas can be binged since for the most part it isn't a large amount of episodes (not including weekend or daily dramas). Also, I feel like when you watch K-dramas, you notice things that are specific to their culture and that's always nice to learn about. I feel like when you learn more about other cultures, it does widen your perspective a bit. I live in Hawaii where there are a lot of different people from all over the world that live here, so I think that does influence my answer a bit.

5. What do K-dramas mean to you?

Happiness... an escape, maybe? When I started watching K-dramas in 2001, I was in elementary school. But by the time I got to high school, mentally and emotionally, I was in a really bad place. Watching K-dramas back then was the only time I felt happy. Which sounds really sad looking back on it, but that's the honest truth. These days, K-dramas still give me happiness—but I'm doing better mentally & emotionally then I was back then. And also... something I can bond over with my mom. We don't have much in common, but we can talk about K-dramas for hours lol. My mom even got my dad to watch K-dramas, so that's been fun.

My answer is 'One Percent of Anything' (2016) with Ha Seok Jin and Jeon So Min. The reason why I do re-watch it from time-to-time is because it's a fun watch, honestly. It's cliche, but I like watching cliche romance K-dramas to make me feel good lol.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, Ayame said:

My answer is 'One Percent of Anything' (2016) with Ha Seok Jin and Jeon So Min. The reason why I do re-watch it from time-to-time is because it's a fun watch, honestly. It's cliche, but I like watching cliche romance K-dramas to make me feel good lol.

This is one of the earliest dramas I watched too. I think I was smitten with Ha Seok-jin. In fact, he left such an impression that I watched Radiant Office which was a lot of fun and I loved it. I was so excited about When I Was the Most Beautiful. But that was a huge disappointment. Are you a fan of Ha Seok-jin? :love:

6 hours ago, j9sshi said:

Don't give up. I'm sure there is something out there that she likes. What type of tv shows or movies does she like to watch? Match the kdrama with her interests. That's how I roped my SIL into them. I knew she liked romance and adventure, so I got her to watch Memories of Alhambra with me. (that one goes on my "best" list as well). 

Thanks for the encouraging words. Winter is coming, that sounds so Game of Thrones-ish, buy anyway, yeah , so we won't have much entertainment so time to bond over K-dramas.

Thank you so much @j9sshi for taking time to answer the questions so elaborately. I hope you had fun walking down the memory lane with us. :heartxoxo:

• Like 2
  • Love 3
  • Blob 1

19 hours ago, j9sshi said:

One Percent of Something - Steamy Romance, FL confident in herself and in her relationship with ML. Not much conflict. A good one to watch if you're in a romantic mood. 

12 hours ago, Ayame said:

I forgot about this one! Isn't it nice to watch a straight up rom-com that isn't about serial killers or corruption or bullying or whatever? Sometimes I have trouble watching the thriller type K-dramas because they give me too much anxiety and remind me how crappy the world can be.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1