A Blast from the Past

confusedheart

How did you start watching K-dramas?

I can't remember when I first learned the terms "K-Pop" & "K-Drama" but I knew them long before I ever watched or listened to anything. My first Korean content was Man From Nowhere in 2010 which had been recommended to me because its similar to a US movie called Man On Fire. My first K-Pop sampling came about 4 years later via a tragedy, and while searching Youtube for K-Pop content in 2017, I stumbled across a video about Jealous K-drama couples ... the rest is history.  

My first start-to-finish drama was School 2017

Was there a specific K-drama that made you stay?

Not specifically - School 2017, led into MAD DOG (and my first K-Pop OST download), and then, I Am Not A Robot  ... I was pretty much hooked after that.

Which 3-5 K-dramas are the best dramas you've ever watched?

While always subject to change, current favorites ...

One Spring Night

Crash Landing On You

Vagabond (simultaneously 1 of the best AND worst ... how do you make a drama this good with no 2nd season:blink:)

When The Weather Is Fine

Its Okay To Not Be Okay

Why would you recommend K-dramas to others who know nothing about them? 

The stories are wonderfully engaging - The OST's will find their way onto your play list - You WILL try the food ... ALOT of it :lol: - Yes, you too will drink Soju - and if you're like me, along the way you'll learn just enough Korean to be dangerous.   All in just 16 short episodes ...

What do K-dramas mean to you?

For me, its the community.  I was fortunate enough to find Soompi right around the time I found Daily K-drama's. I was a lurker here for my first year until finally joining in early 2020.  The daily threads are inseparably linked with their respective drama's and I cannot see myself watching one and NOT participating in the other. 

From absurd plot lines, to outrageous outfits, from grotesque Product Placement, to positively hilarious character nicknames, endless shipping arguments, as well as prayers for the Truck Of Doom to end our collective suffering,  ... did I mention Plastic Sword Fights? 

Thanks to all my Daily Chingu's :heart:

Which K-drama you cannot stop yourself from re-watching?

As others here have stated depends on my mood - Besides my favorites, presently, I'm re-watching select episodes of Sell Your Haunted House, Dinner Mate, and Run On.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 4

1 hour ago, confusedheart said:

@Lmangla I  remember reading your comments about Man in the Veil.  Isn't this the drama where the ML was obsessed with showers and we got plenty of abs scenes? Should I give Full House a try? Both you and @gm4queen mentioned it.

actually it was the second male lead and he had shower / abs scenes whenever things would go well with female lead. it was pretty funny....

as for full house - I would say check it out. the clothes and pacing may be a bit retro but it does have great OST. if it fits your humour style, then it is a good fluffy watch. :)

to give you an example, here is a scene that still cracks me up. to give the context, she is visiting her in-laws for the first time after marriage and was not aware of the tradition that you have to bring a gift. watch her improvise and his family's reactions. :lol:

• Love 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 4

1. How did you start watching K- dramas

A few years ago a friend recommended BOF to me.   :D

2. Was there a specific K -drama that made you stay

hmm...Im not sure, maybe it was  ''Playful kiss' and ''The Princess' Man''

3. Which 3-5 K- dramas are the best dramas you've ever watched

- The K2

146701462-352-k951117.jpg

- Gap Dong

Gap_Dong-p02.jpg

- Tunnel

- Arthdal Chronicles

- Family's Honor

4. Why would you recommend K- dramas to others who know nothing about them.

because K-dramas are entertaining... 

5. What do K-dramas mean to you

K - dramas = Soompi forums     

6. Which K - drama you cannot stop yourself from re-watching

Mr. Sunshine

1cb61f10530a6ff53965346203d72e42.jpg

Six Flying Dragons

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 5
  • Blob 4

To all the people who voted for "Dae Jang Geum",

6b9cfa0244b4b0b711123e44b6166571--dae-ja

Its great to read all the answers, and see how we all started Kdramas and remained Kdrama watchers (its not easy to stop once you have started) :piggydance:

@rocher22 Chingu, I re-watched both "Mr. Sunshine" and "Six Flying Dragons" a few months ago. "Six Flying Dragons" is among my most favorite Sageuks :hooray:

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 6

So interesting to read everyone's responses and get to know you all better! :)

Since I'm currently addicted to this forum and am ignoring work and family on a regular basis, I will answer these questions :lol:.

1. How did you start watching kdramas?

Exactly a year ago, my colleague told me about her love for kdramas. I had never heard of them, but she told me that each series was usually only 16 episodes and that I should try it sometime. I've gotten sick of long, unending American sitcoms, and Netflix had been spitting out some suggestions for me, so I decided to try It's Okay to Not Be Okay. I was hooked after that, and tried to watch everything I could of my favorite dongsaeng Kim Soo Hyun.

Because I grew up going to Asia to visit family as a child, the kdramas remind me of the soap operas my mom and aunts would watch, only now for a more modern audience. It was so fun/ healing to see people who looked like me onscreen even if I couldn't understand Korean. But things were just familiar enough for me to appreciate seeing Asian culture onscreen, and I find fascinating the differences between my specific Asian culture and Korean culture.

2. Was there a specific kdrama that made you stay?

After watching IOTNBO, I watched My Love From the Star. The snappy writing, the characters, and the humor were so engaging I ended up watching that one a dozen times.

3. 3 -5 best kdramas you've watched:

- My Mister

- IOTNBO

- My Love From the Star

- Dear My Friends

- Healer

4. Why would you recommend kdramas?

- The short seasons which force writernims and PDnims to create good character and story arcs ahead of time (rather than the American sitcom way of "write as you go for years and years")

- The quality cinematography, acting, and writing of the really good shows

- The different cultural elements. It's good to learn how others live and what they value!

5. What do kdramas mean to you?

After growing up watching Hollywood-everything on a daily basis, I LOVE seeing that kdramas have amazing production values, on the same level if not even better than Hollywood. Of course, it's not a competition, but being an Asian I feel so proud of kdramas! :) I actually prefer the subtlety and compact stories of kdramas now. And I mentioned this earlier, but it's so healing to see people who look like me on the TV screen, playing main characters with robust stories and not just side/ token characters.

6. Which kdrama do you rewatch?

I usually watch a drama once, then immediately once more to catch everything that was missed the first time around. But My Mister and MLFTS, as well as Moon Embracing the Sun, have sucked me into black holes. Right now I'm writing a fanfic of My Mister - something I NEVER thought I'd ever do (what have kdramas done to me?!!!) - and I've been re-watching MM many times for "research". :)

• Like 1
  • Love 8
  • Blob 1

4 hours ago, BlackLotus1025 said:

5. K-dramas mean like wind to me; they come and go, but they're unforgettable. The stronger the wind is, the deeper the shivers and chills it gives. Like how the scenes in those K-dramas are, the deeper they are made and said, the stronger they stay in my mind and heart. 

That was so poetically expressed. Loved the comparison.  K-dramas are not just fun and games. Thanks to dramas like Squid Game and movies like Parasite much more people are getting exposed to K-drama/ K-movies and once you delve deeper into the world of K-dramas, you realize how stunning it truly is.  To be honest, not a day goes by when I don't watch at least one episode of a K-drama.

4 hours ago, lebeaucouple said:

Gummy : "You are My Everything" from "Descendants of the Sun" (2016)

My first Gummy song was from Master's Sun. She nailed it. But then she always does.  :love:

Move to Heaven, yep I should include that as one of the best dramas of all times after Thank You.  Thank you for reminding me.  Presently watching Squid Game, I need to watch few episodes more. But I am glad more and more people are watching K-dramas and it is getting  the recognition it deserves. K-dramas are more than fluff and romance and now people are getting to experience the depth of it.

4 hours ago, musicalflow. said:

JiSung playing multiple personalities just sets off a different standard for many - charming and talented at whatever he does. 

Yeah, he is just amazing. I think Secret Love was my first K-drama and he swept me off with his intense acting. I see Ji Sung, I click. I mean he added life to Devil Judge. I do miss him romancing a beautiful lady on screen though. It's been a while since we saw him romancing on screen. He still makes our hearts flutter. :biubiu:

3 hours ago, willenette said:

I adore Lee Min Ho

Well I was smitten with him when I watched BOF. The curly haired boy just won my heart. He had an amazing chemistry with Koo Hye-sun. I thought the casting was perfect! Maybe that's why we still love it as much as we did when we first watched it. I think it's time they released Pachinko. We have been waiting for it forever. After reading the book and knowing LMH has been cast in the drama, my expectations are astronomically high. He seldom disappoints. So I am hoping that it would be a phenomenal hit too.

• Like 4
  • Love 5
  • Blob 3

1. How did you start watching K-dramas?

- I used to not like kdramas but some kdramas dubbed in our local language which aired in local tv channels really got me. Then eventually, after a very long hiatus, netflix came and then the rest is history. 

2. Was there a specific K-drama that made you stay?

- Kingdom. After a long hiatus, I watched Kingdom then I started watching kdramas again. 

3. Which 3-5 K-dramas are the best dramas you've ever watched?

- Kingdom

- When The Camellia Blooms

- Taxi Driver

- Mr. Queen

- Reply Series

4. Why would you recommend K-dramas to others who know nothing about them?

- plotlines of local dramas in our country sucks. Kdramas have unique storylines and good cinematography and actors. Plus they are usually short so it is easy to watch. 

5. What do K-dramas mean to you?

- a breathe of fresh air. 

6. Which K-drama you cannot stop yourself from re-watching?

- When The Camellia Blooms. I literally watched this series 3 times already and I still get the feels like I watched it for the first time. 

• Like 1
  • Love 7
  • Blob 3

3 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

From absurd plot lines, to outrageous outfits, from grotesque Product Placement, to positively hilarious character nicknames, endless shipping arguments, as well as prayers for the Truck Of Doom to end our collective suffering,  ... did I mention Plastic Sword Fights? 

Yeah , never a dull moment. You have become quite a Sherlock, (having read some of your speculations in some of the common dramas we have watched/ watching) . You power of deduction is spot on, chingu! 

@Lmangla  I must watch it before NF removes it. Yeah, the retro feel kind of put me off and maybe that's why I never got round to watching it. Time, I go retro with House Full. Thanks for the rec. :kisslevel:

3 hours ago, frozentundra said:

Adding Brilliant Legacy/Shining Inheritance in the first category. 

Definitely a good drama. We need more than 60 options!! I hope we can request to work on the technical limitationns and include more options  in future. :heart:

1 hour ago, rocher22 said:

Mr. Sunshine

This is on my watch list for too long. Chingu @Sleepy Owl was watching it a few weeks ago, and I heard him praise it so highly. 

51 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

I re-watched both "Mr. Sunshine"

Yep, I remember the discussions and you could not stop raving about it.  I have to give in to Sageuks.

Do '100 Days My Prince' and 'Mr Queen' and Bossam count as Sageuks?:eats2: (Asking for a friend):D

18 minutes ago, the_sweetroad said:

After growing up watching Hollywood-everything on a daily basis,

I find K-dramas refreshing too. The human interest stories of K-dramas seem to be their USP in my opinion. The stories bring out a wide gamut of emotions. P.S. I find Lee Sun-kyun's voice very sexy. :love:

13 minutes ago, Sky Kang said:

When The Camellia Blooms. I literally watched this series 3 times already and I still get the feels like I watched it for the first time.

I would love to watch Gong Hyo-jin and Kang Ha-neul star in another drama. Their chemistry was so goooooooood.

Fangirl GIF - FANGIRL - Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 1
  • Love 5
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 6

41 minutes ago, the_sweetroad said:

1. How did you start watching kdramas?

I've gotten sick of long, unending American sitcoms, and Netflix had been spitting out some suggestions for me, so I decided to try It's Okay to Not Be Okay. I was hooked after that, and tried to watch everything I could of my favorite dongsaeng Kim Soo Hyun.

Dear Chingu, :wub:

You mentioned about your favorite dongsaeng "Kim Soo Hyun", then I would recommend you to look up his upcoming drama in end Nov called "THAT NIGHT" (or One Ordinary Day) short series (total 8 ep), a remake from British drama Criminal Justice. Don't miss it :) 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
  • Blob 4

25 minutes ago, lebeaucouple said:

I would recommend you to look up his upcoming drama in end Nov called "THAT NIGHT" (or One Ordinary Day) short series (total 8 ep), a remake from British drama Criminal Justice. Don't miss it :) 

Yes! I'm following that thread! Even though it's not in a genre I usually enjoy, I'll watch it for his acting brilliance :) Thanks for the reminder. :wub:

48 minutes ago, confusedheart said:

I find K-dramas refreshing too. The human interest stories of K-dramas seem to be their USP in my opinion. The stories bring out a wide gamut of emotions. P.S. I find Lee Sun-kyun's voice very sexy.

I agree....I'm constantly surprised by how creative kdrama storylines are (even with all the tropes that come with them). Because Koreans have had to go through so much in their long history and things have not always been shiny and happy and rosy, kdramas can explore a depth of emotion and life experiences that are realistic to the culture, that others can relate to. Of course, other countries have had long histories and the accompanying trauma and life experiences, but right now Korea is putting out a lot for our notice.

And LSK....he's so talented :D.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
  • Blob 3

One name. Lee Min Ho. While aimlessly changing channels in my TV, I came across this handsome young guy with amazingly weird hair trying to woo this clueless girl. I was starstruck and I badly wanted to be that girl. LOL. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtjx9_pwl0GVu_gxh1Ik0

I can't pinpoint a single drama. After BOF I binge watched tons of dramas and all of them were better than the last ones I watched. Atleast at that time I felt like that. If I rewatch them now, maybe I would feel different. To name a few..... Heirs, City hunter, Greatest love, Iris, coffee prince, secret garden, full house

Descendants of the sun

Reply 1988

Weightlifting fairy Kim bok joo

Jealousy incarnate

Moon lovers : Scarlet heart Ryeo

Why would you recommend K-dramas to others who know nothing about them

They are easy to watch and entertaining. They are a good time pass. 

What do K-dramas mean to you

They are escape from reality. I mainly only watch fluffy romantic dramas. I know that I won't be able to get myself a handsome, genius, rich oppa who is willing to give his life for me in real life, so I vicariously live through female leads in kdramas. LOL. 

Boys over flowers

Reply series

Full house

• Like 1
  • Love 5
  • Blob 3

1 hour ago, confusedheart said:

I would love to watch Gong Hyo-jin and Kang Ha-neul star in another drama. Their chemistry was so goooooooood.

Riiiiight!!! But I don't think they will have a reunion project anytime sooner huhuhu 

Sad Pauly D GIF by A Double Shot At Love With DJ Pauly D and Vinny

• Love 3
  • Blob 4

Ooh, so interesting to read your stories on how you got into kdramas ! :love:

@kokodus Ms. Koko, didn't you recently watch Squid Game? I was very surprised because you normally opt for fluffy romantic dramas like you wrote in your post. :kiss_wink:
Will you be watching the Thai version of BOF that will start airing before Christmas?

@Sky Kang @lebeaucouple I haven't watched When the Camellia Blooms. Is there anything specific (character, plot line, feeling, etc) in the drama that makes the drama so memorable for you? :kiss_wink:

@the_sweetroad Kim Soo Hyun is your dongsaeng? Wow! :wow2:How did he become your dongsaeng?

@rocher22 @willenette Our EO @agenth will love you two forever for mentioning K2. It features her oppa. :happy2:

@LeftCoastOppa Mr. Oppa, I am shocked that you didn't mention Alice! :scream:

@Lmangla Man In a Veil, huh? It was the kimbap abs that drew you in - admit it ! :loolz:
@Ameera Ali will never forget its dead fish kissing scenes. :joy:

@gm4queen have you watched the Thai version of Full House? It's a great remake. :glasses: No makjang on steroids - I promise. :joy:

@joccu My Name is Kim Sam Soon - one of my favorites too! Hyun Bin's and Kim Sun Ah's characters were too annoying many times, but they just cracked me up so much. I still rewatch it from time to time.

a62bc5033848b77bdab2eb2f400be22244ef8edc

Poor Binnie :joy: (cr. to owner)

@Chesleigh Omo! I've heard many good things about The Princess' Man. It's been on my watchlist for years already.  @Sleepy Owl dongsaeng, wanna watch it with me?

@sadthe1st I can't deny it ! A drama with great abs is a must watch for me! :love:

@Sunset Ooh, I am one of those who prefers the TW version of Fated To Love You. Sorry chingu. There was too much noble idiocy for my taste in the k-version....

:emmm:

@maribella Any specific reason you like daily dramas? I think you often watch those. What was your first daily drama? :kiss_wink:

@BlackLotus1025 Something Happened in Bali has a special place in my heart too! Jo In Sung was amazing in his role and to me it's still so cool to see his talented performance in it - especially taking into account his young age at the time the drama was airing. Too bad he doesn't often appear in dramas anymore. :tears:

@madmad min I also find the most memorable dramas for me to be before 2016. I was going through my completed dramas list and almost all the ones I have loved the most have been pre 2014. :grimace:

@musicalflow. Kill Me Heal Me was one of Ji Sung's most impressive roles. I loved the drama! I also quote Ahn Yoona from time to time:

tumblr_oha2pvfbxi1r19l56o1_500.gif?resiz

cr. to owner

Sorry for the long post folks - haha

• Like 2
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

@partyon I agree that the noble idiocy was awful. I felt like throwing away the computer.

computer GIF

I usually get turned off by amnesia and noble idiocy and discontinue dramas. I am usually picky when it comes to those things.

It was just the timing of the drama in my life that made it special. I was in the worst slump of my life. It was as if life was speaking to me: "Don't worry about the future and don't let your fear make you stop living. Don't worry about what might happen and think about it when you get there."

Guess what? I got engaged and married within a year after that. Now I am happily married for 6 years and I have a toddler. I cannot not give it credit. :D

And and about the When the Camellia blooms... uff where do I start?

Kang Ha Neul's character is enough. What a beautifully written character!

• Like 2
  • Love 6
  • Blob 1

A friend visited and convinced me to watch. He kept insisting it was good. I chose My lovely Samsoon. 

Lovers in Paris 

Coffee Prince, Misaeng, My Mister, Stranger, A wife's Credentials

Why would you recommend K-dramas to others who know nothing about them?

They are well produced and some have very good acting and a good script.

Asian influences and values.

Princess Hours

• Like 2
  • Love 5
  • Blob 3

@Sunset That is awesome! :dorakiss:

Fated to Love You started off a great chapter in your life. :love:

The Korean version made me ooh and aah when it came to the friendly neighborhood oppa's suits. I had never seen a man wear SO MANY colorful suits in any drama before!

yLKedos9qSzBTUgvbjO9IQQWjTkV9MxefhQITxPd

fated-to-love-you1.jpg

ep7_20.jpg

I was like @Lmangla sweetie - noticing bathroom fittings, lighting and interior decoration details instead of adding more oppas to my long oppa list. :joy: (Neither Jang Hyuk nor Choi Jin Hyuk made the cut at that time - lol).

@hyall Next week will be the last week of our Princess Hours (Goong) rewatch. :bawling: Next time you should join us if you have time! :kiss_wink:

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Blob 3

46 minutes ago, partyon said:

@the_sweetroad Kim Soo Hyun is your dongsaeng? Wow! How did he become your dongsaeng?

Good question! :D KSH had so many great moments in IOTNBO, I was so touched by his acting. Then I watched MLFTS, The Producers, Dream High, The Thieves, and Moon Embracing the Sun in short order. You could say HE was my gateway to kdrama world! I really enjoy his personality in BTS videos, too...he is hilarious.

It's weird to see him in all the endorsements and "celebrity" stuff he does, though...I think he's a gifted actor but I actually don't need to see him model everything. And the Vogue spread he was in was so bizarre! :lol:

Since my early flurry of KSH dramas, I've since moved on to appreciate Ji Chang Wook, Lee Jong Suk, and Lee Sun Kyun. Those four make up my favorite K actors now, meaning I seek out their shows/ movies and get excited to hear about their new projects.

8 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

The stories are wonderfully engaging - The OST's will find their way onto your play list - You WILL try the food ... ALOT of it :lol: - Yes, you too will drink Soju - and if you're like me, along the way you'll learn just enough Korean to be dangerous.   All in just 16 short episodes ...

For me, its the community.  I was fortunate enough to find Soompi right around the time I found Daily K-drama's. I was a lurker here for my first year until finally joining in early 2020.  The daily threads are inseparably linked with their respective drama's and I cannot see myself watching one and NOT participating in the other. 

Loved this entire monologue!

And the food....since I started getting into kdramas I've stepped up my cooking again. Noodle soup for the win all the time now! And the Korean....I never suspected I'd be looking up the Korean alphabet or articles on Korean honorifics just to understand the culture more. (We have similar things in my background....but Koreans take honorifics to a whole other level.) And I want to say "odi ka?" and "geul-ae" ALL the time now.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
  • Blob 2

@the_sweetroad Awww... :love: So that's how Kim Soo Hyun became your dongsaeng....

You just mentioned Ji Chang Wook - he's my oppa, but @agenth is an even bigger JCW fan than I am! :kiss_wink: Are you planning on watching his upcoming dramas?

Also (putting this into spoilers just in case):

Spoiler

Do you like his long hair? :emmm:

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
  • Blob 2

12 minutes ago, partyon said:

You just mentioned Ji Chang Wook - he's my oppa, but @agenth is an even bigger JCW fan than I am!

I think @agenth is the JCW super fan of this forum! That's been clear to me for a while now :lol:. (I follow the JCW thread!) I didn't know he was your oppa, too, @partyon!

(Edit: I just checked out the JCW thread for the first time in a while and remembered that @cherkell is also a huge JCW super fan!)

JCW's hair....I think his hair in Lovestruck in the City is just right. :) I love him in Healer, though...to play Bong Su as such a dork and Healer as such a reserved, cool guy.....SO good.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
  • Blob 2