A Blast from the Past

confusedheart

EVENT- A Blast from the Past

Coffee-Prince-the-1st-shop-of-coffee-pri

Do you remember binge-watching your first K-drama and falling in love with the amazing and fascinating world of K-dramas?  

We all have our favourite K-dramas that have struck a chord with us. Let us take a walk down the memory lane to see if these dramas have stood the test of time and are as enjoyable as they were when we first watched them.:hooray:

A GUIDE IN STARTING YOUR KOREAN DRAMA SERIES BINGE-WATCHING EXTRAVAGANZA |  STYLE MNL

As we re-live the nostalgia, chingus, we have a few quick questions for you. We are all ears to know how your journey began.

1. How did you start watching K-dramas?
  2. Was there a specific K-drama that made you stay?
  3. Which 3-5 K-dramas are the best dramas you've ever watched?
  4. Why would you recommend K-dramas to others who know nothing about them?
  5. What do K-dramas mean to you?
  6. Which K-drama you cannot stop yourself from re-watching?

5 Crazy Habits of K-Drama Binge-watchers - Annyeong Oppa

Here's a sneak-peak into the EO's foray into the K-dramaland.

@partyon's answers:

Spoiler

I started watching k-dramas after having discovered k-pop over 10 years ago. My first k-dramas were Coffee Prince, BOF and Full House.

I just liked the overall feel of kdramas. They were different compared to the typical Hollywood movies and dramas.

3. Which 3-5 k-dramas are the best dramas you've ever watched?

Difficult question. But if I had to pick a few that I have REALLY enjoyed, I would say: Que Sera Sera (flawed people all around....), Mother (difficult to watch but oh so memorable), Secret (Love) (emotionally draining on every level), My Name Is Kim Sam Soon (annoying at times, but still enjoyable), Children of Nobody (a great psychological thriller)

There are so many kdramas on Netflix nowadays that it feels like most people have watched them already. lol. Especially after the success of Squid Game.

K-dramas equals Soompi Forums to me. I can share my thoughts and views about k-dramas with chingus who have the same interest as I do.

6.  Which K-drama you cannot stop yourself from re-watching?

I have quite a few dramas that I rewatch from time to time- haha. Goong, Secret Garden, Secret (Love), Boys Over Flowers (it's ICONIC okay? ), Accidental Couple, My Name is Kim Sam Soon to name a few

@agenth's answers:

Spoiler

It started when I visited my relatives in Seoul back when I was a child. 

I remember my first dramas being "Prince's First Love" and "Nine-Tailed Fox". I loved the breathtaking views of Tahiti/Bali in the former, and the soundtrack of the latter.

From my Ji Chang Wook collection: Healer - what a great drama, where Ji Chang Wook's acting is showcased, his double life as BongSoo and Healer, my oh my. Lovestruck in the City - for it's breathtaking cinematography, witty dialogue, sizzling chemistry that make me blush, and stellar acting. Empress Ki for having the second lead become the first lead with a great character development. Other dramas I enjoy, even rewatch: Faith (something about the soundtrack, I guess!), Good Doctor for emotional drama, and Jugglers for being cute all-around with no annoying characters (which is very hard for me to find).

Lovestruck in the City - success rate of recommendation to people who don't often watch kdrama: hundred percent. Recomending kdramas to other people is a gateway to addiction, so I usually don't recommend, unless the other party explicitly asks me. :D

Great original soundtracks, face close up scenes, cool cinematography and the build up to the first kiss!

6.  Which K-drama you cannot stop yourself from re-watching?

Lovestruck in the City :D and Healer.

@Sleepy Owl 's answers:

Spoiler

Accidentally to be honest. So I saw my elder cousins watching "Dae Jang Geum", and so I joined them. That was my introduction to Kdramas and also Sageuks. Being a history lover, I found them pretty interesting. So my next 3 dramas were also Sageuks - Emperor of the Sea, Jumong, and The Kingdom of Winds.

Sageuks brought me in Kdrama world and made me stay. After watching some Sageuks I checked out other genre as well, and liked the overall feeling and also Kdramas not really having seasons and ending in 16-24 episodes usually.

This is tough one since I have many favorite dramas. But if I were to choose top 5, they would be "Chuno The Slave Hunters", "Children of Nobody", "Nobody Knows", "18 Again" and "Because This is My First Life"

4) Why would you recommend K-dramas to others who know nothing about them?

Because they are worth trying. There are many kdramas out there which non-kdrama fans would also enjoy watching even if they don't turn into regular kdrama watchers. So it would more similar to I recommending my favorite movie/TV Series/anime to someone who has not watched them, but would love watching them since it aligns with their preferences.

5) What do K-dramas mean to you?

Watching kdramas have become part of my everyday activity. I don't get to watch any a day for any reason, I feel I have missed doing something very important.

6) Which K-drama you cannot stop yourself from re-watching?

There are many here either. I have re-watched "Secret" many times and I see myself watching it again in a year or so. Apart from that, I do re-watch "Chuno", "Fated To Love You", "Fated To Love You", "Doctor Stranger", "Good Doctor" and some more from time to time.

@confusedheart's answers:

Spoiler

One day, I realized that I had nothing to watch. So, I decided to just browse, and voila, I came across a curly haired boy , Gu Jun-pyo, being smitten with a tough as nails, Geum Jan-di and I was hooked. I think I stayed up all night watching the drama. That was my first binge-watch. This is how I descended into the rabbit hole of K-dramas. :D

2) Was there a specific K-drama that made you stay?

Oh yes, more than the dramas, it were the actors that ensured that I never left the rabbit hole. Jang Hyuk and Ji Sung. But yeah, if we think about the drams, I think, it was 'Secret Love' and 'Fated to Love You' .  I guess I was fated to love K-drama too.

3) Which 3-5 K-dramas are the best dramas you've ever watched?

'Thank You'  hands down has to be the best drama, ever.  Nothing can compare to it. :wub:The heart-touching story, stellar cast  of Jang Hyuk , Gong Hyo-jin and the lovely child - actor Seo Shin-ae and the most stunning cinematography. No heart can remain immune to it.

4) Why would you recommend K-dramas to others who know nothing about them?

I would recommend K-dramas because they end up making you feel good about  life, you faith in humanity is restored. And after a long day at work, you just want to put your feet up and let the charming oppas sweep you off your feet.  So if you want to release those endorphins and be happy, watch K-dramas. There is something for everybody.

5) What do K-dramas mean to you?

K-dramas have become a means of escaping the dreary world.  

6) Which K-drama you cannot stop yourself from re-watching?

There are a few that I love to watch again and again. 'Thank You' when I want my faith in humanity to be restored. 'Secret Love' for some angsty love story / makjang and 'Fated to Love You'  and 'Because This is My First Life' for experiencing the thrill of 'true' love.  'My Lovely Kim Sam Soon' when I want to vent out and watch the FL kick some beep!  :D

Here is the list of dramas with their iconic posters. 

Group 1: Dramas 2002-2013

Spoiler

1. Successful Story of a Bright Girl (2002)

Successful Story of a Bright Girl (2002) poster

2. Winter Sonata (2002)

Winter Sonata (2002) poster

3. Dae Jang Geum (2003)

The Great Jang-Geum (TV Series 2003–2004) - IMDb

4.  Stairway to Heaven (2003)

Stairway to Heaven (2003) - MyDramaList

5. Something Happened in Bali (2004)

What Happened in Bali (2004) - MyDramaList

6. Princess Hours (Goong) (2006)

Goong (2006) - MyDramaList

7. Coffee Prince (2007)

Is 'Coffee Prince' (aka 'Keopi peurinseu 1-hojeom') on Netflix? Where to  Watch the Series - NewOnNetflix.info

8. Temptation of Wife (2008)

Temptation of Wife - AsianWiki

9. Boys Over Flowers (2009)

http://i.mdldb.net/cache/lmh/581635230461087482_040706de_c2x.jpg

10. You're Beautiful (2009)

You're Beautiful (TV series) - Wikipedia

Spoiler

11. My Girlfriend Is a Gumiho (2010)

My Girlfriend Is a Gumiho - Wikipedia

12. Playful Kiss (2010)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OE26JAYaIwM/TIYGK84X5II/AAAAAAAAACw/Y2ywjeDptMc/s1600/Playful+Kiss+Korean+Drama.jpg

13. Secret Garden (2010)

Secret Garden (South Korean TV series) - Wikipedia

14. Scent of a Woman (2011)

Scent of a Woman (TV series) - Wikipedia

15. Reply Series (2012)

All the Things We Love About the “Reply” Series | Soompi

16. The Innocent Man (2012)

The Innocent Man (2012 TV series) - Wikipedia

17. Good Doctor (2013)

Good Doctor (TV Series 2013) - IMDb

18. Gu Family Book (2013)

Guga-ui Seo (TV Series 2013) - IMDb

19. I Can Hear Your Voice (2013)

I Can Hear Your Voice - Wikipedia

Group 2: Dramas 2013-2017

Spoiler

1. Secret Love (2013)

Secret (2013) - MyDramaList

2. The Heirs (2013)

The Heirs (2013) - MyDramaList

3. You Who Came from the Stars (2013)

My Love from the Star - Wikipedia

4. Empress Ki  (2013)

The Empress Ki (TV Series 2013–2014) - IMDb

5. Doctor Stranger (2014)

Doctor Stranger (TV Series 2014) - IMDb

6. Fated to Love You (2014)

You Are My Destiny (2014 TV series) - Wikipedia

7. It's Okay, That's Love (2014)

It's Ok, This is Love - AsianWiki

8. Healer (2014)

Healer (TV Series 2014–2015) - IMDb

9. Pinocchio (2014)

Pinocchio (2014 TV series) - Wikipedia

10. Kill Me, Heal Me (2015)

Kill Me, Heal Me - Wikipedia

Spoiler

11. Mask (2015)

Mask (2015 TV series) - Wikipedia

12. Cheese in the Trap (2016)

Cheese in the Trap (TV series) - Wikipedia

13. Descendants of the Sun (2016)

Descendants of the Sun - Wikipedia

14. Love in the Moonlight (2016)

Love in the Moonlight - Wikipedia

15. Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo (2016)

Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo - Wikipedia

16. Signal  (2016)

Signal - Poster (Drama, 2015, 시그널) | Korean drama, Korean tv series, Drama  korea

17. W – Two Worlds

W (TV Series 2016) - IMDb

18. The Lonely Shining God – Goblin (2016)

Guardian: The Lonely and Great God - AsianWiki

19.  Because This Is My First Life (2017)

Because This Is My First Life - Wikipedia

Group 3: Dramas 2017-2020

Spoiler

1. Strong Girl Bong-soon (2017)

Strong Girl Bong-soon - Wikipedia

2. Tunnel (2017)

Tunnel (TV series) - Wikipedia

3. Voice Season 1 (2017)

Voice - Poster (Drama, 2017, 보이스) @ HanCinema

4. Mr. Sunshine (2018)

Mr. Sunshine (South Korean TV series) - Wikipedia

5. My ID is Gangnam Beauty (2018)

My ID is Gangnam Beauty' to premiere July 27

6. My Mister  (2018)

13 My Mister ideas | mister, korean drama, kdrama

7. What's Wrong with Secretary Kim (2018)

What's Wrong with Secretary Kim - Wikipedia

8. Sky Castle (2018)

Sky Castle - Wikipedia

9. The Last Empress (2018)

The Last Empress (TV series) - Wikipedia

10. Hotel del Luna (2019)

Hotel del Luna - Wikipedia

Spoiler

11. Crash Landing on You (2019)

Crash Landing on You - Wikipedia

12. Do You Like Brahms (2020)

Do You Like Brahms? - Wikipedia

13. Hospital Playlist (2020)

Hospital Playlist - Wikipedia

14. Itaewon Class (2020)

Itaewon Class - Wikipedia

15. Mr. Queen (2020)

Mr. Queen (TV Series 2020–2021) - IMDb

16. The Penthouse: War in Life (2020)

The Penthouse: War in Life - Wikipedia

17. The King: Eternal Monarch (2020)

Amazon.com: The King: Eternal Monarch (Korean TV Series, English Sub ) :  Lee Min HO, Kim Go Eun, Woo Do Hwan, Kim Kyung Nam, Jung Eun Chae, Lee Jung  Jin: Movies &

18. The World of the Married (2020)

The World of the Married (TV Series 2020– ) - IMDb

19. My Name Is Kim Sam-soon / My Lovely Sam Soon

Nae ireumeun Kim Sam-soon (TV Series 2005) - IMDb

You can vote for a maximum of dramas in each group.

Since our poll can only have 60 dramas due to technical limitations, we apologize if your favourite drama isn't included.

As always, feel free to leave a comment below. Thank you  @partyon your patience and support! :heartxoxo:

The poll is open till 17th October, 2021.

If you have any event suggestions, do not hesitate to contact your friendly, neighbourhood Event Organizers. :kiss_wink:

re:  @Sleepy Owl @agenth @confusedheart

tagging:

Spoiler

@pompyavi @Drama Bowl @singlebilingual @Rockman @SilverDawn @Amirr  @larus @sadthe1st @Sarang21 @mirmz @gm4queen @Min2206 @4evrkdrama @Wuzetian @MayanEcho @joccu @elan1 @twinkle_little_star @BlackLotus1025 @Thong Thin @kokodus  @Ameera Ali  @celebrianna  

@msdot @CallieP @syntyche @Nikaa94 @JoannaID @Hohoho @1ouise @scrawford @madmad min @CarolynH @kdramagrandma @Skyline @HappyVibes @HR. @Lara2020  @graceyco @Megan @ChibiLy @innayoooos @LAARNI @louie_999 @Lunita @RollyPenny @Sunnnnny @flashyymalditah @LovelyBirdAndYoo @Reena @ELFlamingo @Rogue85  @sunnynotsunhee @Pyar @reiko @@sinhvichuchu @danisnk222 @naul  

@choco milo @reasilvi @dolorisbrady  @willenette @rocher22  @africandramalover @Itsmylifeboss @k8telyn @lucia704 @The.Lannister @Chibi8535  @wze2702 @rubyminho @ElectricHearts @BinJinBest @QueenieBee  @Piggycloy @SuZy Leoo @Smileforu  @kismet22 @rita96 @Missprincesa @Miadee @stellalafemme @Asgarla @vangsweetie637  @BinjinFangirl @pretty_JULY @Shining tiara  @*.:AnGeL*BAbII:.*  

@vajandi @tas82 @nina_mitrokhina @Gisell Gisell @Jeannie @Sakurafairy @gnyaa @hahanzyy @superspace @Kool  @Ding77  @gtLmh0622 @Jiyuu @Anjalifairy @Tracie13 @rukizie @kaykafisyah @cafe99 @danisnk222 @liv_well @kittyna @joybran @Edgar Pordwed @LiB for Velvet @samzi85

@Biology Lesson @azureblue7 @Prettysup @Ayame @yoeda @widala @dramafan33 @izziemazzie  @Joanna Alfson @kireeti2 @JJS's Fan-atics @leeminhosny @morningdew @ssteph @flutterby06 @kembie @tinatrix236 @firebabe @inspiredbyshj @Mikayla Holloway @weirdnshort @sakurapotter  @SophieH  @Minbongyi  @Alice Wonderland  @ktcjdrama  @nrllee  

@UnniSarah  @strongtower @PeVe  @booha @forme26 fi @YongZura⁷ᴮᴱ  @maribella @Mocharel  @pauliza @Lj @princessaves   @valinor500 @Spring Mood  @FanMode101  @anyeze 

@Aolian @fragola @ncly @Olea @Denali @hola2jin @SCSfanz @selen4ever @xoxogkxoxo @debbsthebee @MrEildriz  @airgelaal @NoonaCaana @lebeaucouple @blingbling @billroberts  @xylaxyly @charray @usadango @sora sora @eLizza @Ms.sunshine @tothestars  

@pad-hari   @Naty828 @tofumochu @Yinye @BINGO_O @annaR @Jinnie @Firefly @CA C @widala  @JumboQueen  @SophieH @Poppy517  @Heretorant @gutterland @lexicon  @mademoisellesia @Areumdaun @extrodinairey @Senseandstyle  @MineunGoals  @erfatm @pixie0622  

@asiaren  @Poppy517 @Alila N @binderclips123 @blackberrypie @SweetLullaby   @belena @NYdoc  @Jernie @SexyDolceVita @Polka Dot @goshhh @Blithenostalgia @brooksmom @LeftCoastOppa   

@frozentundra  @Gretule @Combsmania  @Rogue85  @louie_999  @Romulan  @ibru @itsmeash @RobinM @rocat  @Calli  @morganian  @lovehuche   @shadowhawk  @Rumaizah Muhammed  @iluvcalculus  @Hannahmiriam  @Tamakins  @musicalflow.  @fanofr  

@chococarmela @SC2019 @ferily @serenilmauve  @Ching Geraldizo  @Ameera Ali @Emily Bett @willenette   @rocher22 @MayanEcho @Wuzetian @larus @gm4queen @sadthe1st @Lmangla

@Prettysavage @andy78 @Glam @shinkeru @TheQueenReturns @lilian c @admonike @Maliah @Dddddddnnnnnnrrrrrrrr @-JC- @jangmi92_ @dashling_ice @jessdsc @aimeeyoung @arushi nair @Songbae @D27Gjk68 @Winny   @Sunset @youactlikeicare @stella_512 @Kdramabae @Yumiyue @youngae @prince1401 @wildcherry @jongkkot @orion00 @Chibi8535 @inaho101 @Madu Mita  @JungRok @chickfactor @DrBooger @tiMadam @Andrea Balcazar  @hsmz @miss_vicky @Sky Kang @anjuliet 

@bee_wannabe  @tulip06  @Kris Silva  @Tongtong  @ptp321 @Arkahd 

• Like 6
  • Love 6
  • Awesome 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Blob 4

:waves: guys!

Thank you @confusedheart chingu for tagging me in! :heart: But I am so sad to find out that you haven't included any dramas of Choi Daniel in the list! :bawling: His first post military drama Jugglers is so popular among viewers with high viewership ratings! Wish you included it on any list though... :innocent:

Ha ha ha.. Have fun, guys! I am sure you all have a lot to talk here! :joy:

• Like 3
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4
  • Blob 1

How did you start watching K-dramas?

do you mean the very first time? it was years years ago! so I happened to catch it on some international channel. I didn't watch the entire series but I just remember watching a few episodes -- it was the typical triangle. he was in love with some girl while his friend was in love with him and he had no clue. no idea how it got resolved.... so this was early 2000s

Was there a specific K-drama that made you stay?

"success story of bright girl" -- I don't think people realize the magic of that series but it was a reflection of the times. people were still feeling the effects of the asian financial crisis where people lost their jobs and savings. this drama was about a kind of pluckiness when you lose everything and how to pick yourself up. so it really reasonated during that time for those watching and it had something like a 40% rating. I also loved how the female lead was very atypical. 

Which 3-5 K-dramas are the best dramas you've ever watched?

I would say the weekend/daily dramas are the best and where I have had the most fun. whether it is watching with family or with soompi chingus, there is something about those slots for the most part where it is highly entertaining to watch as a group and comment. 

1. five children -- my mom LOVED this drama enough that she called her sisters to check it out on youtube. when they didn't watch, she just gave them updates whether they wanted it or not. :lol: hahahah... 

2. sons of sol pharmacy -- I laughed so much while watching the drama; great family drama 

3. full house -- it was double the fun when I watched it with my cousin sister. she was rolling on the floor laughing at how absurd the two leads were at times. we still crack up on those memories. :)

4. likeable or not -- it is a daily and I remember catching it with my mom. I initially thought it was dumb and wanted my mom to change the channel. she glared at me and told me to stop disrupting her coffee break. :lol: so while forced to watch it, I then got totally hooked. hahahahha.... aside: it was a highly successful with ratings of over 40%

5. man in the veil -- the drama is absurd to the core but I would say it was one of the funniest experiences I had watching it with soompi chingus. we cracked up so much that it was a laugh to check the thread daily. 

Why would you recommend K-dramas to others who know nothing about them?

I am going to go with what my cousin sister tells her friends -- the stories are easy to understand and very addictive. more importantly, the content is mostly family friendly and can be watched with multiple generations. one does not have to worry if your kid catches you watching or your mom walks by. whereas with english language content these days, it is a bit strange. either it is super gory/violent, not family friendly or it is just not relatable and seems very foreign. :sweatingbullets: so you have to search and do check before you can watch a show. and as my cousin put it "who has the time for that? just watch masterchef and for drama quotient, watch local shows." 

for me, the most attractive part of kdramas is that it has a beginning and an end. you don't have to watch multiple seasons or for years. (disregarding some of these season dramas now).  

What do K-dramas mean to you?

soompi forum!

Which K-drama you cannot stop yourself from re-watching?

depends on my mood! 

• Like 5
  • Love 6
  • Blob 3

@gm4queen Chingu, thank you for voting. :heart: 

How did your journey start? What are your favourite rewatch dramas? Your recommendations? What has kept you hooked on to K-dramas, besides Choi Daniel, of course. :biubiu:

Choi Daniel's 'Jugglers' is indeed a wonderful drama .:love: Unfortunately, we were constrained by the technical limitation of including 60 options only.   Consequently, we had to drop so many  amazing dramas.  :tears:

• Like 2
  • Love 6
  • Blob 1

Ha ha.. To answer @confusedheart chingu's 6 questions.... :joy:

Well.. The beginning of my journey has nothing to do with Choi Daniel. I never know about him until 5 years ago. But I've seen many then K-dramas airing in my local tv networks ever since I was in high school! That's the influence that led me to watch K-dramas!

I think Full House take the credit. I've watched all the re runs of it in my local tv network like crazy! :D

Full House

The Ghost Detective

Jugglers

Fated To Love You

The Veil (ongoing :D)

I think K-dramas are some kind of a stress-reliever. I always watch my Daniel oppa's dramas when I am feeling low! And of course, you get to learn Korean through K-dramas. I just love learning a new language so that I can expand my taste for the entertainment industry even more!

Love & Life! :heart:

High Kick Through The Roof. I am currently re-watching it for ???? time.

• Like 4
  • Love 7
  • Blob 1

1. I stumbled into fine world of kdrama thanks to bi(rain) back in 2006.   My first kdrama was of course full house. I still really like it bc it is  in away special to me. 

2. My lovely Kim Sam Soon.    Kim Sun Ah was mind blowing in her character.  

3. Nobody knows, children of nobody, my lovely Kim Sam soon and Queen Seondeok( mishil is one of the best baddies) 

4. Well now days most know about kdramas thanks to Netflix. 

But I would recommend kdramas to people who are looking something new and different to watch. As European watching kdramas has taught me lot. 

5. Soompi forums and connection to other people who are into kdramas. :heart:

6.  I mostly rewatch Sageuks.  Recent rewatch was six flying dragons.  

• Like 6
  • Love 7
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

I was a bit late in watching Boys Over Flowers, so my first kdrama was the one after it "The Slingshot" (starring the late Park Yong Ha)

At first it was just the novelty of watching kdramas, I was young and hadn't seen those types of shows before (I grew up watching telenovelas). From there, I just picked out the interesting ones! My favorite is Sageuk / fantasy stories.

My most favorite is The Princess' Man starring Park Si Hoo and Moon Chae Won.

And then top 4 would be: Mr. Sunshine, Because this is my First Life, Capital Scandal, Do you like Brahms?

There's a whole different world of storytelling in kdramas that you can't really find in any other (as I'm sure the same can be said for others in reverse), but there is a lot of different genres that you'll be able to find any kind that might interest you.

They are either an escape from life, or a place where you can keep yourself grounded. 

The Princess' Man definitely! But also any iconic scenes from all kdramas like Goblin or Moon Embraces the Sun. 

• Like 5
  • Love 7
  • Thirsty 1

Autumn in My Heart on local tv.. but dubbed into mandarin which was weird.. especially oppa became 哥.. and this song hye kyo was like 哥-ing so much in the drama that my mom and i had the goosebumps while watching and had to drop it cos it was, unbearable!

15995061847_b2f0921e86_o.jpg

cr.: owner

and i hated the in between commercial breaks on local tv..

so i went online to watch, it was the key to unlimited access of kdramas.. the rest was, history.

i never left. i just take hiatus here and there.. those kdrama slums which some of us still encounter at times..

my first kdrama that i really liked should be Couple or Trouble

af3bdaefe2405760a589c59e3cd165ae.jpg

there's also Dong Yi that was super popular on local tv

Dong_Yi.jpg

i wouldn't list best dramas.. some were at my best when i was watching them, but they were pushed behind in the list as i watch more dramas.. doesn't mean they are no longer good, just.. being left behind.

but i just had to say this.. ANY KDRAMAS WITH DELICIOUS ABS WOULD BE A BONUS!!

@Ameera Ali @partyon

handsome oppas and pretty unnies..

generally short episodes, at most 20.. i dun watch dailies so they're good at this length.

fabulous abs..

i hardly rewatch hahaha

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8

I became aware of K-dramas because of Stairway to Heaven, Save the Last Dance For Me & Lovers in Paris as they were shown in the network television stations here in my side. They were big hits too. I loved Stairway to Heaven so much that it is still my most favorite drama. I really liked Kwon Sang Woo and Ji Sung because of these dramas. Then after this I got into Fullhouse. I have watched it few times, till I came across Boys Over Flowers.  :heart2beat:

For me, not only one-drama but many of them - I also loved I'm Sorry I Love You, Vincenzo,  Itaewon Class & What’s Wrong with Secretary Kim & Fight For My Way & She Was Pretty, Record of Youth & The Moon that Embraces the Sun, My Love from Another Star, & Dream High, The King Eternal Monarch & The Heirs & City Hunter, Crash Landing On You & Secret Garden, When The Camella Blooms, My Secret Terrius, Goblin, The K2, and Playful Kiss. These dramas keep me coming back for MORE.  I’m Sorry I Love You is a classic & a “must-watch” for me. And you know you can’t go wrong with Park Seo Joon dramas. Watching Record of Youth you’d probably start recalling the difficulties you went through early

on in your career. Well, it doesn’t matter if they’re old or new, a good series will always hit home.    :rubchin:

Crash Landing on You

Stairway To Heaven

Itaewon Class

Vincenzo

It’s Okay Not To Be Okay

Unlike other shows, which typically use songs that already exist, Korean dramas create brand new original soundtracks (OSTs). Every single drama gets its own score and original songs. And if a drama does well, those songs usually

dominated the digital charts. K-dramas are also wholesome!   :popcornjackson:

How did it affect my life? It affected my life wonderfully. One, to see the city where a lot of these stories are filmed so, this is where I started to have my vacation every December in Korea. And I do this every year. I go to RAIN several concerts every year, too. I got so attached with Kdrama world because of these dramas. Not only K-dramas but I also watch K-movies. I subscribe to Netflix & Viki in order to watch these K-dramas continuously. Most of them are on Netflix but if you can’t find them there, then head over to Viki, this is what I usually do. I also like going over to DramaBeans to read recaps and comments after I’ve finished an episode I'm watching. I also have a collection of DVDs, which I buy in Korea every time I go there. As I watched their dramas I was drawn into a different world as I also learned of their cultures and food. The language was also a big part of this cultural infusion because I’d picked up many words of their language. While dramas are far from realistic, they really are a great way to expose oneself to such a colorful and interesting culture. There, I found also my BF, a K-surgeon who’s based in US. Watching K-drama is my "healthy obsession." These two words can go together. Korean drama addiction is a regular part of my day now. Besides, I’m also in an entertainment industry, so it really means to me. :blush:

There are a lot of dramas that I’ve watched more than once. I find myself enjoying these dramas just the same the second time around despite already knowing the outcome :

Secret Garden – this drama still manage to capture my heart.

Healer – this is one of those action K-dramas that you can never get sick of. You have the     bonus of seeing Ji Chang Wook for 20 episodes – can’t go wrong with that, right?

Fullhouse - it’s a cute drama where you can see a very young Song Hye Kyo and Rain display their on-screen chemistry.

Heirs - it’s really an all-star cast that you can’t get sick of seeing for 16 straight episodes.

It’s OK That’s Love - the series really brings the issue of mental illness to light. This series can be watched over and over again. It’s got a strong message that needs to be shared and will never get old!

Kill Me, Heal Me - one of the main reasons why this series is such a delight to watch and can be watched repeatedly is for Ji Sung and his incredible acting skills. He’s able to portray several different personalities so flawlessly. It’s truly a performance by Ji Sung that can be appreciated for many years to come!

Scarlett Heart – the series had a serious amount of eye-candy that anyone can appreciate!

Autum in My Heart – this is like I’m Sorry I Love You .....It is one of those classic dramas that stand the test of time for its heartbreaking script. It is so tragic that it’ll have you shook for awhile.

My Love From The Star - this series is rewatchable for the two main leads alone.

Stairway to Heaven - no words to describe just love this drama after all!

• Like 4
  • Love 8
  • Blob 2

I was an avid manga/manhwa reader. I remember reading Mars and Goong before I saw the drama. I was excited to know that there were dramas on them. That's how my journey started. At that time, no one in my class watched foreign language dramas/movies and they thought that I was very weird. I used to watch Korean, Japanese, Taiwanese, Chinese, Spanish (wherever I find a compelling story).

Later, my classmates all fell into the BOF world and became fans of Lee Min Ho. They excitedly talked to me about it but sadly I was never able to involve myself with BOF's story line. All BOF fans jumped to playful kiss and talked to me about that. I was appalled by it (sorry Playful Kiss fans). I just loooooooooved Taiwanese ISWAK so much that I just couldn't jump the Playful kiss ship. ISWAK was the closest adaptation to the manga.

Thus, I always remained as the weird girl in class.

It was Jang Hyuk and Jang NaRa and all those who made FTLY who made me stay. I had stopped watching dramas when I was going through a rough phase in my life. Then I heard that JN and JH are going to act together again. I was a fan of Successful story of a Bright girl. Also, I watched the TW version of FTLY and didn't really like it as much. I watched the first episode just to get my mind off of things and the rest is history. Kim Mi-Young (Jang Nara's character) made me cry every time she cried vulnerably. It healed me. Got my bottled up emotions out. Which 3-5 K-dramas are the best dramas you've ever watched?

This one is really tough for me. Just look at my signature hahaha.

Depends on who the person is. If they are into thrillers, I would suggest Healer and Signal. Romance: Queen-in Hyun's man, Hometown Chachacha

Probably a friend who knows just what I need hahaha.

Really depends on my mood. I watch my fav scenes from the dramas that I have watched rather than the whole thing.

• Like 3
  • Love 5
  • Blob 4

I rewatch Winter Sonata all the time. It was my first korean show. I was surfing the channels, tuned to this show and a man ( Bae Yun Jun) had tears running down his cheeks. Having only watched macho men shows, I was stunned and very curious, 'what kind of Japanese show is this?'. 
That was the first time I heard Korean and I thought it sounded Japanese. It was so slow. I could go and make a cup of coffee, they would still be talking of the same thing at the same place.  The abrupt ending was so unusual.

• Like 4
  • Love 4
  • Blob 3

@Lmangla I  remember reading your comments about Man in the Veil.  Isn't this the drama where the ML was obsessed with showers and we got plenty of abs scenes? Should I give Full House a try? Both you and @gm4queen mentioned it.

@gm4queen I loved Ghost Detective too.  :love:

2 hours ago, gm4queen said:

Life & Love!

You have succinctly put it across. :heartxoxo:

2 hours ago, joccu said:

My lovely Kim Sam Soon.    Kim Sun Ah was mind blowing in her character. 

Oh I love how she kicks the ML's beep. He deserved it to be honest. I love re-watching it too.

2 hours ago, joccu said:

5. Soompi forums and connection to other people who are into kdramas. :heart:

So true! I have made so many friends and it's fun to discuss K-dramas with chingus here and see their perspective on things. :heart:

1 hour ago, Chesleigh said:

They are either an escape from life, or a place where you can keep yourself grounded. 

Totally! I think the stories have a universal appeal and it helps that they are not too long.

1 hour ago, sadthe1st said:

but i just had to say this.. ANY KDRAMAS WITH DELICIOUS ABS WOULD BE A BONUS!!

Chingus, this is becoming one of my criteria too for watching K-dramas since @partyon and @Ameera Ali had been taking care of my 'education'.

Spoiler

@partyon was livid when I called abs man boobs.  :loolz:She took it upon her to enlighten me and had given me a thorough lecture on the difference between the two. Hopefully, I will pass the test and not bungle up. :please:

@andy78 Looking forward to reading about you Kdrama journey, chingu. Pop in when you can. :hooray2:

1 hour ago, willenette said:

Unlike other shows, which typically use songs that already exist, Korean dramas create brand new original soundtracks (OSTs). Every single drama gets its own score and original songs. And if a drama does well, those songs usually

What are your most favourite K-drama OSTs?   I have fallen in love K-dramas OST. They are hauntingly beautiful. I have created a folder just for my K-dramas OST.  Pinocchio, It's Okay That's Love, Because This is My First Life, Thank You, Secret Love, Fated to Love You etc are some of my favourite drama OSTs.

1 hour ago, Sunset said:

It was Jang Hyuk and Jang NaRa and all those who made FTLY who made me stay. I had stopped watching dramas when I was going through a rough phase in my life. Then I heard that JN and JH are going to act together again. I was a fan of Successful story of a Bright girl. Also, I watched the TW version of FTLY and didn't really like it as much. I watched the first episode just to get my mind off of things and the rest is history. Kim Mi-Young (Jang Nara's character) made me cry every time she cried vulnerably. It healed me. Got my bottled up emotions

Oh yes, I agree. She is such a fantastic job. I felt my heart being ripped out as I saw her crying. Both Jang Hyuk and Jang Nara did such a realistic portrayal of emotions. And truth be told, you couldn't even blame anyone for it. I am glad it helped you heal.  :heartxoxo:This is what I really love about K-dramas. There is something for everyone and it works its magic on us, in it's own little ways.

• Like 3
  • Love 6
  • Blob 2

20 hours ago, confusedheart said:

EVENT- A Blast from the Past

Hello there @confusedheart! Thank you for including me in the poll. I might have to live up to your username because for sure my heart will be confused. Haha. Just kidding! 

1. I started watching K-Dramas because the local TV network (ABS-CBN) we watch the shows for suddenly started showing Asian Dramas. In 2003, Taiwanese show "Meteor Garden" was so popular in the Philippines and I think that's why they decided to start showing dramas from South Korea like "Lovers in Paris", "Four Sisters and "The Truth" in 2004. The last show starred Choi Ji Woo, Ryu Si Won, and Park Sun Young. Both shows were so famous and I think that's how their rival network bagged "Stairway to Heaven". It was the first time I've seen a K-Drama and it was aired in the afternoon.

2. The specific drama that made me stay was "Memories in Bali" starring Ha Ji Won, Jo In Sung, and So Ji Sub. It was so heavy, but whenever the show was on air, it always lighted up my mood. I remember, I had to order some food at a restaurant when I went to Boracay Island just so I can watch the Friday episode. I bought a DVD of this and watched it more than 20 times. I still remember all the lines! Haha.

3. Well, that's a tough one because I think there are more than five that I want to write. Haha. But, I think the top five dramas would be: 1. Memories of Bali 2. I Hear Your Voice (Lee Bo Young, Lee Jong Suk, Yoon Soo Hyun) 3. What's Wrong with Secretary Kim (Park Min Young, Park Seo Jun) 4. Ballad of Seo Dung/Seo Dong Yo (historical drama featuring Lee Bo Young and Jo Hyun Jae and 5. Forbidden Love (Kim Tae Hee, Jo Hyun Jae, Han Ye Seul, Jun Jin) and Healer (Park Min Young, Ji Chang Wook)

4. I would recommend it to them so they can know something. Nothing means the start of a good beginning, so I'll tell them to give it a try to at least experience whether it's a bad thing or a good thing. There's no harm in trying after all. Haha.

5. K-dramas mean like wind to me; they come and go, but they're unforgettable. The stronger the wind is, the deeper the shivers and chills it gives. Like how the scenes in those K-dramas are, the deeper they are made and said, the stronger they stay in my mind and heart. 

6. I think the second answer already gave me the sixth answer, too. Haha. But there were a lot. Those five dramas I've mentioned on the third number, I've watched each of them multiple times. Literally more than all my total fingers on hand and feet! 

• Like 3
  • Love 7
  • Blob 1

Thanks for the tagging, my dear chingu.  i think my answer may be the outlier one :D:wub:

I was too bored when I was posted overseas to work for a few years and there was one TV drama episode that caught my eyes at that moment, it was "Hotelier", needless to say, it's because of the charming Bae Yong Joon and pretty Song Yoon Ah...:wub:

2.  Was there a specific K-drama that made you stay?
I noticed the quality of K-drama is getting better in recent years, especially how they produce the unique storyline and use CGI technology for most scenes. I have been watching korean thriller movies for many years and I mostly picked the highest score of old dramas and old movies to watch based on the IMDb site.

The OST for most dramas was the powerful and memorable one which made us crazy over it, we can even download the songs and become our phone ringtone. How many of you did that too? I downloaded the song from Gummy : "You are My Everything" from "Descendants of the Sun" (2016)

I may be the outlier one, there are so many good dramas that I like, if only can choose 5 of them, below are the completed ones :

• My Mister (2018)
  • When the Camellia Blooms (2019)
  • It's Okay to Not Be Okay (2020)
  • Beyond Evil (2021)
  • Undercover (2021)

K-drama have a diversified range, and what attracts me most must be their unique and intense thriller or heart-warming storylines. In the early days, we often liked to choose handsome and beautiful actresses, but now it seems that we pay more attention to the storyline. I usually like to recommend it to like-minded people. If not, I would recommend it to those who are open-minded and able to accept differences from other dramas. I would recommend short drama to people who do not like to spend too much time on melodrama, such as : Squid Game (2021), D.P. (2020), Move to Heaven (2020), Sweet Home (2020) if they don't mind "bloody" scenes.

Purely for entertaining, certainly good for de-stress and a good topic to share and discuss with friends when we have social networking. The best to share is when we have like-minded viewers inside or outside of this forum.

The Last time was my favourite "Hotelier", now no more, I seldom re-watching unless I am too free. I usually watch K-movies rather than re-watch old dramas.

I think you can add one more
Question 7 - which drama you wish to have Season 2 - haha :D
My answer will be :
Squid Game,  Sweet home, Watcher (2019), Taxi Driver 

:popcornjackson:

• Like 3
  • Love 5
  • Blob 2

21 hours ago, confusedheart said:
  • How did you start watching K-dramas?
  • Was there a specific K-drama that made you stay?
  • Which 3-5 K-dramas are the best dramas you've ever watched?
  • Why would you recommend K-dramas to others who know nothing about them?
  • What do K-dramas mean to you?
  • Which K-drama you cannot stop yourself from re-watching?

1. Netflix suggested me to watch Still17 then Legend of the Blue sea...

2. Legend of the Blue Sea

3. hmmmm tough lol Ok

Goblin

Legend of the Blue Sea

Pinocchio

Strong Girl Bong Soon

Mr Queen <resurrected my kdrama slump because post 2016 shows are boring IMO>

4. I recommended Kdramas to them because My Peers are very much used to watching American Shows , Kdramas are more near and dear to our own culture but in a more precise number of episodes manner hahah. Here we have melodramas which run for years at an end.And really Pinocchio / Goblin is something which everyone should see!!!

5. Kdramas for me...Destress the phenomenon called Life lol.

6. I watched Legend of the Blue sea atleast 5 times because its just mystical and well because of the cast lol.

• Like 4
  • Love 6
  • Blob 2

1. How did you start watching K-dramas? I started watching k-dramas back in the middle of high school around 10/11th grade via DVD!!!
  2. Was there a specific K-drama that made you stay? My first love was Stairway to Heaven. Back in the day, that sort of storyline captured the hearts of many, and it captured mine as well!
  3. Which 3-5 K-dramas are the best dramas you've ever watched? There are so many good ones, but on the top of my list that I’ll always remember are Secret Garden, Descendants of the Sun and Kill Me Heal Me. 
  4. Why would you recommend K-dramas to others who know nothing about them? The acting is on another level. It’s not cringe and well thought out, most dramas anyway! The plot lines are not always predictable. The OSTs are always a plus! 
  5. What do K-dramas mean to you? Can’t live without it!
  6. Which K-drama you cannot stop yourself from re-watching? I don’t like rewatching dramas because I don’t want to overthink but if I had to choose one, it’ll be Kill Me Heal Me cus I did go back to certain scenes lol. The main leads chemistry is on point and I loved their previous drama together as well. Thai time for KMHM tho, JiSung playing multiple personalities just sets off a different standard for many - charming and talented at whatever he does. 
  • Like 3
  • Love 5
  • Blob 3

38 minutes ago, confusedheart said:

@Lmangla I  remember reading your comments about Man in the Veil.  Isn't this the drama where the ML was obsessed with showers and we got plenty of abs scenes? Should I give Full House a try? Both you and @gm4queen mentioned it.

@gm4queen I loved Ghost Detective too.  :love:

You have succinctly put it across. :heartxoxo:

Oh I love how she kicks the ML's beep. He deserved it to be honest. I love re-watching it too.

So true! I have made so many friends and it's fun to discuss K-dramas with chingus here and see their perspective on things. :heart:

Totally! I think the stories have a universal appeal and it helps that they are not too long.

Chingus, this is becoming one of my criteria too for watching K-dramas since @partyon and @Ameera Ali had been taking care of my 'education'.

Reveal hidden contents

@partyon was livid when I called abs man boobs.  :loolz:She took it upon her to enlighten me and had given me a thorough lecture on the difference between the two. Hopefully, I will pass the test and not bungle up. :please:

@andy78 Looking forward to reading about you Kdrama journey, chingu. Pop in when you can. :hooray2:

What are your most favourite K-drama OSTs?   I have fallen in love K-dramas OST. They are hauntingly beautiful. I have created a folder just for my K-dramas OST.  Pinocchio, It's Okay That's Love, Because This is My First Life, Thank You, Secret Love, Fated to Love You etc are some of my favourite drama OSTs.

Oh yes, I agree. She is such a fantastic job. I felt my heart being ripped out as I saw her crying. Both Jang Hyuk and Jang Nara did such a realistic portrayal of emotions. And truth be told, you couldn't even blame anyone for it. I am glad it helped you heal.  :heartxoxo:This is what I really love about K-dramas. There is something for everyone and it works its magic on us, in it's own little ways.

@confusedheart I love OSTs of Goblin, Scarlett Heart, The King Eternal Monarch, Boys Over Flowers & Stairway To Heaven. Secret Garden, Kill Me, Heal Me, Memories of the Alhambra are also good. Above all these songs, I fall in love with this  : :Megathanks:   Everytime I hear & listen to this song, the MORE that I adore Lee Min Ho - :Fist1:

Gravity by Kim Jong-wan

clip source : thesmartlocal

• Like 2
  • Love 5
  • Blob 2