[Drama 2022] Extraordinary Attorney Woo/Unusual Lawyer Woo Young Woo, 이상한 변호사 우영우

larus

I actually find the US version of Good Doctor pretty good.   Freddie Highmore acted the role well.   I have an autistic student and a few autistic relatives so I find Freddie's depiction relatable to them.

Park's acting is fine, but she is depicting someone with a condition which does not seem as severe as she can understand emotions a tad better than the character in Good Doctor.   She also has a family supporting her unlike Good Doctor.

I actually look forward to a US remake which I believe would be vastly different in the detail script just like Good Doctor.  

• Like 1

dont mind the remake as long as they dont use the name of the drama. they can copy or modify the storyline for the sake of intellectual property. remake seldom works, look at the number of jdrama remakes of kdrama or kdrama remakes of tdrama. it kinda ruins the reputation of the original production. the country that does the remake has to incorporate their own culture/style and hence goes the essence of the original drama.  the original production is the work of the massive research done by the writer, the filmography of the director, the amazing acting skills of the many actors/actresses and viewers are drawn to the pace, plots, flow, and everything about the original version. the american version of good doctor kinda bothered me at the beg as it made the characters so complicated. there are some healthy normal american in real life! got to tell myself that this drama has nothing to do with the kversion!

would prefer wyw get nominated at emmy's like the squid game! this drama is successful not only because it's a good production but also of its intention to address ads and related challenges and other social issues! pd Yoo and writer Moon should be recognized for their hard work and their contribution to educate viewers around the world about this subject!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, backstreetboysfan said:

Yeah this hit home for me to, One of my cousin's her oldest son has autism (Sorry forget what type) but he is so smart.

My niece had speech issue, short attention span... wouldnt look at people in the eye when talking at times :(

Parents tries hard to make sure she does well; changed school several times as she is not the normal type of student..... worries about her future :(

• Like 2
  • Blob 3

A remake? And a US one at that? Okayyy LoL~ Typical I guess whenever somethin' gains a lot of attention, everyone tries to cash in.

I watched only a few ep. of "The Good Doctor" & honestly it was more 'Grey's Anatomy' with autism or disability. It was a hit & a miss for me.

The reason why "The Good Doctor" & "Extraordinary Attorney Woo" resonate so well with audiences is because they have a certain kind of wonder, curiosity that truly captures what bein' a person as Young Woo experiences on a daily basis..

The remakes sort of strip all that away and just try to make the lead character get into intimacy or start jumping e.o. which is not er--Idk LoL make sense?! Then again it's probably a matter of preference.

• Like 5

Saw ep5... now while i like that Junho likes Lawyer Woo, however, is it too soon? Granted, its great that Lawyer Woo has a love line but not this early perhaps; Junho just ^fell^ for her when she was wearing a wedding dress... he is written as a nice guy; extremely nice, voluntering at special care homes hence his patience with Lawyer Woo... its nice and all, but is it too soon?... 

So no whale bingo moment in this case; im going to check out if sunflower picture really means wealth...  haha...

I like that her colleague (sorry forgot her name, while her male colleage was an RickRoll'D) was nice to her and when she described her; she feels so touched;  that Woo Young actually had that imprinted in her memory of her help when they were in law school together..... that's a great moment/scene in my view..  touching...:foryou:

• Like 3

Autistic lawyers and doctors are quite unheard of in these professions.  So for k-drama to come up with this idea, it is only right that US buys the rights to make a series out of it with variation in the script.  It is not an exact remake of story to story.  Like Good Doctor, it was quite different but it's good to attribute the unique idea to the originator.    US is doing the right thing instead of just stealing the idea and write a series quietly and call it something else.    Good Doctor would have been a popular series even if they have called it Extraordinary Doctor Shawn.

Back to Attorney Woo in ep 5, I find that her ability to infer things is definitely uniquely advanced.  Regurgitating facts accurately is highly possible but to infer complex intention is quite hard.  The example of her inferring if the CEO of the company she was representing did 2 things(insisting his technology is original, asking his staff to lie as a stop-gap measure) deliberately to get his competitors' contracts revoked so he could sign on as the new supplier of the revoked contracts was pretty impressive to me.  It is a complex inference.   So she is really in an extraordinary spectrum.

She is so incredibly cute in Ep 6.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, realistic2280a said:

My niece had speech issue, short attention span... wouldnt look at people in the eye when talking at times 

Parents tries hard to make sure she does well; changed school several times as she is not the normal type of student..... worries about her future 

Aww, that is so tough hugs.

• Sad 1

Episode 6 was good. It made me cry again.

Aww loved the Woo and her lawyer friend.

Aww Junho kinda told his feels to his friend for Young Woo but he is not going to force them on her if she is not ready, he was so upset when his friend said that it couldn't be Young Woo that he liked.

Aww that scene when they were trying to  both tried to protect her.

And omg that promo.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, SJW said:

really like this attny minwoo the writer put there! as much as i find youngwoo adorable and want to shield her from the ugliness of this world, she has to learn how to deal with people like minwoo. there are always "minwoo" at our workplaces, and have to learn to deal with them. this is a lesson for youngwoo to define the standard as a "good" lawyer - "good" to seek the truth and to be accountable to her conscience, or "good" to defend the interest of her clients and to be accountable to them against her conscience. 

it's sad to see youngwoo crying with feelings of shame and guilt; but see that youngwoo is a strong character, the next thing she does is to frame up that letter on the wall to remind herself not to repeat the same mistake. so comforting!

if youngwoo has to learn a painful lesson like this one, think the writer might have a plot to let her find out about her mom! it'll be devastating but her character is not the only in kdrama that got abandoned by her parent. it'll be another growth process for youngwoo to overcome this pain. 

love the conversation between youngwoo and suyeon! suyeon doesnt even realize that she has been so kind and nice to youngwoo. she always struggles about being nice to youngwoo and i hope that she can be set free from this struggle and youngwoo can have a more sensible best friend in her life.  a different type of friend in addition to guerami! 

with the pace and the plots of this drama, wonder if it will still a seasonal series as planned!

agreed. while minwoo was absolutely annoying his treatment of young woo and complaining to his boss about her undeserved second chance when she went awol was realistic. young woo is growing while learning how to cope and hopefully minwoo will eventually acknowledge her as a valued team member and possibly friend. 

I absolutely loved the little exchange between su yeon and young woo too. su yeon probably didn't win many friends being nice and standing up for young woo in university so i'm glad that she now knows how much her actions meant to young woo. 

• Like 6

Why are the judges and other lawyers in most of Young Woo's cases turn out to be such jerks?! They're predominantly men also tsk. There was a female judge in a previous ep. She wasn't any better iirc. 

Attorney Jung continues to be an admirable mentor and overall decent human being. I liked his attitude that despite him bein' humiliated by his superior he didn't take it out on Young Woo, Soo Yeon. 

Young Woo was so close to meeting her mother who unlike her client has no recollection of her daughter at all. She appeared to be selfish. Still wonder who her son is..? Please don't let it be Jun Ho?! 

Ugh I felt like throwing something whenever Min Woo shows on my screen LoL. He was not this annoying on "Yumi's Cells" but he wasn't on Yumi's team either tsk. He was more supportive of Saeyi with Woong I digress ha-ha. 

Next week preview gosh I'm so excited as Young Woo confronts Jun Ho on their feelings! 

• Like 3

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Park Eun Bin And Ha Yun Kyung Team Up With Passion And Zeal In “Extraordinary Attorney Woo”

ENA’s “Extraordinary Attorney Woo” shared new previews of the upcoming episode!

The drama tells the story of Woo Young Woo (Park Eun Bin), a young lawyer with Asperger’s syndrome who joins a major law firm. Due to her high IQ of 164, impressive memory, and creative thought process, the brilliant Woo Young Woo graduates at the top of her class from the prestigious Seoul National University for both college and law school – but she still finds herself struggling when it comes to social interactions.

Spoilers

The newly released stills reveal Woo Young Woo and Choi Su Yeon (Ha Yun Kyung) partnering up to work together. The two rookie lawyers have formed a team after receiving a special mission from their mentor Jung Myung Seok (Kang Ki Young), and their gazes overflow with passion and spirit while on the task.

Park-Eun-Bin-15-768x512.jpg

Ha-Yun-Kyung-768x512.jpg

In another still, Woo Young Woo tightly grasps the mic as if she is getting ready to refute an argument. Jung Myung Seok’s concerned gaze also hints at the difficulty of the upcoming case. Finally, Woo Young Woo, Choi Su Yeon, and the defendant all look up in shock with wide eyes at the presiding judge, raising anticipation for the results of the upcoming case.

Spoiler

Park-Eun-Bin-Ha-Yun-Kyung-3-768x512.jpg

Kang-Ki-Young-768x512.jpg

Park-Eun-Bin-Ha-Yun-Kyung-768x512.jpg

In the upcoming episode, Woo Young Woo and Choi Su Yeon will be in charge of a North Korean defector’s robbery and injury case, dynamically portraying the rookie lawyers’ efforts to defend their client and lend an ear to her story. The production team shared, “Please keep watch to see with what perspectives the rational Woo Young Woo and the emotional Choi Su Yeon will each pursue the case with and what solution they will produce with their overflowing passion and spirit.”

The next episode of “Extraordinary Attorney Woo” will air on July 14 at 9 p.m. KST.

Park Eun Bin And Ha Yun Kyung Team Up With Passion And Zeal In “Extraordinary Attorney Woo” | Soompi

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

After tough life lessons of hard nosed practicality from MinWoo in Ep 5 time to change gears. Sparkling dollops of idealism,righteousness,human compassion is copiously poured into the mix.The perfect life for Attorney Woo and us would be a healthy balance of the two.

The presiding judge of the latest case doesn't give good friendly vibe but he understands the reason for jurisprudence and passion of rookie lawyers.Like Jung Myuk he gently shepards the bright young lawyers in the right direction.

Life is a constant learning and it is Su yeon's turn to help build tolerance of Young Woo's sensory levels to the disorderly aspects of life., messed up rooms,loud noises,enjoying heightened vibrancy of mall outings...

Comforting to see a comfortable working space for autists in reel.Someday it would translate to the real neurotypical universe too.

• Like 3

Here is the ratings for Episode 6! :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“Extraordinary Attorney Woo” Breaks Own Record For Highest Ratings In ENA History + “Eve” Heads Into Final Week On Rise

ENA’s new drama “Extraordinary Attorney Woo” shows no signs of slowing down!

On July 14, the hit new series starring Park Eun Bin and Kang Tae Oh continued its perfect streak of seeing its viewership rise with every episode.

According to Nielsen Korea, the sixth episode of “Extraordinary Attorney Woo” scored an average nationwide rating of 9.569 percent, breaking its own record for the highest viewership ratings ever achieved by any program in ENA history.

“Extraordinary Attorney Woo” Breaks Own Record For Highest Ratings In ENA History + “Eve” Heads Into Final Week On Rise | Soompi

• Like 4

episode 6 is hilarious and very revealing. It doesn't take an IQ of 160 to guess her parentage.  It's totally embarrassing to appear in court with her. Her team should bring along a sand pit. Whenever she says something embarrassing,  they should just dig a hole in the pit and hide:piggie:.

I like how each episode unfolds and wraps up. Episode 5 was a case of a win with a bad aftertaste while Episode 6, in contrast, was a loss with good outcome.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

Ep 5 comments.  I like how WYW is learning even though some of it is unpleasant, such as admitting she wanted to win and is now ashamed that she did not do the right thing.  Oh, I wanted to punch Min Woo, but again, it's something WYW needs to learn.  I laughed when she called him a tactician.  I'm happy that Choi Su Yeon turned out to be a good person.  I assumed that she was jealous of WYW and would try to sabotage WYW when opportunities arose.  So Choi Su Yeon is not on a one year contact?  She's permanent?  Can't wait to see ep 6!

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

On 7/15/2022 at 2:29 AM, backstreetboysfan said:

Here is the unreleased scene from Episode 5! :).

I suspected that she saw his gift... and this clip proved that...  i guess its good that they cut the scene; perhaps there is a need to reshoot how she reacted to his gift rather than like this...:D

• Like 3
  • Blob 1