[Drama 2022] If You Wish Upon Me ★ 당신이 소원을 말하면 ☄ Ji Chang Wook, Sung Dong Il & Sooyoung, Wed&Thu, also on viki and viu

agenth

Here is the ratings for Episode 3! :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

KBS2’s “If You Wish Upon Me” garnered an average nationwide rating of 2.2 percent for episode 3, marking a dip from the previous episode’s score of 3.0 percent.

“Extraordinary Attorney Woo” Maintains Strong Lead Ahead Of Finale Despite Dip In Ratings | Soompi

• Like 1

20 hours ago, backstreetboysfan said:

Having successfully stashed the stolen money (and his dog Sunny) with a friend while he was in prison, Gyeo Re immediately uses it to get the swankiest hotel room and flashiest car he can buy. But it all rings hollow.

Which subs sub the dog's name to Sunny? I'm very curious about that. the dog's name is actually the Korean word for "son". That's why Senior was surprised when Gyeo Re kept calling the dog "my son" and he was like, "really?! that's your dog's name?"

img.gif

Adeul (credit)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, agenth said:

Which subs sub the dog's name to Sunny? I'm very curious about that. the dog's name is actually the Korean word for "son". That's why Senior was surprised when Gyeo Re kept calling the dog "my son" and he was like, "really?! that's your dog's name?"

THANK YOU!  That article was posted here on Soompi - I almost had a major hissy fit and tried to leave a comment to that effect on the post, but Disqus still thinks Soompi is a "virus trap" and blocks me from adding my two cents.  Ridiculous.

:onfirex:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Ji Chang Wook And Girls’ Generation’s Sooyoung Start Warming Up To Each Other In “If You Wish Upon Me”

“If You Wish Upon Me” has shared a heart-fluttering preview of the next episode!

“If You Wish Upon Me” is a KBS drama inspired by an actual organization in the Netherlands that fulfills the wishes of terminal cancer patients. Ji Chang Wook stars as Yoon Gyeo Re, a man who has been pushed to his limits by a difficult life full of struggles. However, when he winds up having to volunteer at a hospice, he finds his life changing in unexpected ways while helping to make the patients’ wishes come true.

Sooyoung stars in the drama as Seo Yeon Joo, a tough and cheerful nurse at the hospice who is obsessed with exercise, while Sung Dong Il plays Kang Tae Shik, the volunteer chief of Team Genie.

Spoilers

Previously, Kang Tae Shik promised to fulfill Im Se Hee’s (Park Jin Joo’s) final wish, which is to sing on the same stage as her favorite musical actor Pyo Kyu Tae (Min Woo Hyuk). Kang Tae Sik and Yoon Gyeo Re went through various hardships to try to meet him, but they continued to face failure after failure. It didn’t help that Pyo Kyu Tae was actually an arrogant star who only thought about himself.

Ahead of the upcoming episode, “If You Wish Upon Me” gave a preview of Team Genie trying their hardest to grant Im Se Hee’s wish. In the stills, everyone is in the middle of practicing for a musical. Yoon Gyeo Re and Seo Yeon Joo create laughter with their awkward expressions and gestures, but they make viewers’ hearts beat fast with their ticklish eye contact.

Sooyoung-5-800x533.jpg

Ji-Chang-Wook-6-800x533.jpg

Spoiler

Sooyoung-Ji-Chang-Wook-1-800x533.jpg

In another photo, the members of “Team Genie” are taking lessons from Im Se Hee, whose eyes are sparkling with excitement. Kang Tae Shik watches his endearing team with affection, and viewers are anticipating another heart-warming episode.

Spoiler

Sung-Dong-Il-3-800x533.jpg

Park-Jin-Joo-1-800x533.jpg

If-You-Wish-Upon-Me-6-800x533.jpg

The production team teased, “In episode 4, Team Genie will attempt to be in a musical for Im Se Hee, the youngest terminally ill patient.” They asked viewers to look forward to how top star Pyo Kyu Tae and Team Genie will collaborate for a passionate performance.

“If You Wish Upon Me” airs every Wednesday and Thursday at 9:50 p.m. KST.

Ji Chang Wook And Girls’ Generation’s Sooyoung Start Warming Up To Each Other In “If You Wish Upon Me” | Soompi

• Like 2

12 hours ago, agenth said:

Adeul (credit)

Oh I am not sure, Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

Finally got to watch Episode 1. ( @agenth and @partyon will be pleased to hear it. :lol:)

I loved it! The surprising humor, fast pace, and even mystery as far as JCW's background drew me in. And I really liked that Sung Dong Il plays a main character, with plenty of screen time given to him. It was a good first episode. The hospice community seems like a small community that we'll get to know and love.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

23 hours ago, cherkell said:

THANK YOU!  That article was posted here on Soompi - I almost had a major hissy fit and tried to leave a comment to that effect on the post, but Disqus still thinks Soompi is a "virus trap" and blocks me from adding my two cents.  Ridiculous.

Yeah, I just wondered if some subs may have subbed the dog's name as Sunny and that's why it refers as Sunny. I think it takes away a lot of the meaning of this storyline, as Gyeo Re regards the dog as his family and thus named the dog his son. 

2 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

Finally got to watch Episode 1. ( @agenth and @partyon will be pleased to hear it. :lol:)

I loved it! The surprising humor, fast pace, and even mystery as far as JCW's background drew me in. And I really liked that Sung Dong Il plays a main character, with plenty of screen time given to him. It was a good first episode. The hospice community seems like a small community that we'll get to know and love.

Sung Dong Il plays interesting characters of the mentor kind but with unique twist. He doesn't coddle much Gyeo Re (JCW's character), which I think is great as Gyeo Re pushes away kindness like that of the cook at the hospice, albeit Gyeo re was positively surprised when Senior apologised for shouting at him at some point.

Hope you will give us the impressions of episode 2, 3, 4 as well :D 

img.gif

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, agenth said:

Hope you will give us the impressions of episode 2, 3, 4 as well :D 

Just finished episode 2. This show is such a tearjerker! The persimmons…

:bawling:

On to episode 3. Will try to backread this thread some, too.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Binged all four episodes available yesterday. What are you all thinking after Ep 4?

I'm really enjoying the show even though it makes me cry ugly tears. But I appreciate the themes of life and death it brings up, the fact that Team Genie tries to be there so patients aren't alone in their final moments, and the stellar acting by JCW, Sung Dong-Il, and the lead cook.

The scene where JCW gets a lollipop made me laugh out loud. It's still strange to me that European Chupa Chups are seen all over kdramas. That's some good marketing right there.

The minor quibble I have is that the romance/ love triangle seems a bit forced and out-of-place at this point in the show. Gyeo Re has so much to deal with already.

@agenth Are you enjoying all of Gyeo Re's wild shirts? The red one in Ep 3 made me laugh it was so terrible. Also the whole chingu/ Wang Jin Gu joke.

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, the_sweetroad said:

The scene where JCW gets a lollipop made me laugh out loud. It's still strange to me that European Chupa Chups are seen all over kdramas. That's some good marketing right there.

totally. the face he made when he got one from the supermarket granpa. it reminded me of the times when doctors used to give candies to little kids after appointments.

All those tacky shirts and jackets make me laugh as well. But yea the red lightning one took the cake. 

1 hour ago, the_sweetroad said:

The minor quibble I have is that the romance/ love triangle seems a bit forced and out-of-place at this point in the show. Gyeo Re has so much to deal with already.

I don't actually get the doctor that is there. He seems quite unhappy about being in the hospice and he doesn't really care about fulfilling last wishes, and oftentimes he is citing regulations. I understand the ethical rules medical professionals are bound to, but he just doesn't seem to fit with the hospice vibe, much like Gyeo Re first. But now he has slowly become part of the team that they even call him Junior supervisor, a title he of course rejects. I think he rejects things like that, because it would mean that he is part of something, and as the things we know about him have shown, he has never known that kind of support from anybody, so it's scary to rely on them and then possibly lose it all. 

this love triangle isn't working for me either:

• Like 3

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Ji Chang Wook, Sooyoung, And Sung Dong Il’s Most Touching Scenes Thus Far In “If You Wish Upon Me”

Only a few episodes in, “If You Wish Upon Me” has already touched viewers’ hearts!

KBS’s “If You Wish Upon Me” is inspired by an actual organization in the Netherlands that fulfills the wishes of terminal cancer patients. Ji Chang Wook stars as Yoon Gyeo Re, a man who has been pushed to his limits by a difficult life full of struggles. However, when he winds up having to volunteer at a hospice, he finds his life changing in unexpected ways while helping to make the patients’ wishes come true.

Girls’ Generation’s Sooyoung stars in the drama as Seo Yeon Joo, a tough and cheerful nurse at the hospice who is obsessed with exercise, while Sung Dong Il plays Kang Tae Shik, the volunteer chief of Team Genie.

As viewers continue to familiarize themselves with Team Genie and the hospice’s patients, here are three moments so far where Ji Chang Wook, Sooyoung, and Sung Dong Il warmed the hearts of the audience!

Ji Chang Wook’s comfort and warmth to those in the face of death: “Still, please don’t die.”

To an elderly man nearing the end of his life, Yoon Gyeo Re honestly shared, “Grandpa, aren’t you scared? Of dying. To be honest, I’m a bit scared. But living is more scary.”

Later, when Hye Jin (Kim Shin Rok) contemplated ending her life, Yoon Gyeo Re earnestly commented, “Isn’t dying harder than you think? I’ve also tried numerous times, but it wasn’t that easy. I’m not trying to say something stupid like ‘live with the courage you have to die,’ but still, please don’t die.” As he got through to Hye Jin, Yoon Gyeo Re simultaneously touched viewers’ hearts with his seemingly harsh but subtly warm and thoughtful words of comfort.

The reason Team Genie started this wish-fulfilling project: “When you need others is your final moment.”

When the hospice’s youngest patient Im Se Hee (Park Jin Joo) asked Team Genie’s leader Kang Tae Sik why they started fulfilling the wishes of those with terminal illnesses, he responded, “The man I started this work with once said this. That everyone smiles and congratulates you the moment you’re born, but when humans leave, it’s so lonely. When you need others is rather your final moment.” Team Genie helps terminally ill patients depend on each other as they live out their final days.

Seo Yeon Joo’s warm words of comfort to Yoon Gyeo Re: “Being hurt is not something you have to hold in, but something you need to make known.”

After Im Se Hee apologized for making a big fuss to Seo Yeon Joo, the nurse calmly responded, “You did well. If you’re hurt, you have to scream out that you’re hurt. That’s how I know. Here, there’s no need for you to hold it in.” In that same moment, Yoon Gyeo Re happened to walk by, which Seo Yeon Joo noticed. She added for him to hear, “I’m not going to leave anybody to remain hurt. Being hurt is not something you have to hold in, but something you need to make known,” conveying her special way of comforting others.

The next episode of “If You Wish Upon Me” airs on August 24 at 9:50 p.m. KST.

Ji Chang Wook, Sooyoung, And Sung Dong Il’s Most Touching Scenes Thus Far In “If You Wish Upon Me” | Soompi

• Like 1

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

4 Moments In Episodes 3-4 Of “If You Wish Upon Me” That Warmed Our Hearts

“If You Wish Upon Me” returns this week to delve into the life of a star who is about to burn out. Yoon Gyeo Re (Ji Chang Wook) continues to find his footing amidst Team Genie as certain members of the team start to warm up to him really quickly. The gentle pace of the previous week continues as the show settles into its characters, and the hospice staff members slowly but surely draw a grouchy Gyeo Re into their family. But trouble lurks in the background waiting for a chance to make itself known, and as it turns out, Gyeo Re isn’t the only person with a troubled past.

Warning: spoilers for episodes 3-4 below.

1. Gyeo Re’s reaction to Pyeon Yong Ho’s passing

It turns out there was an extra dimension to Pyeon Yong Ho’s (Jun Moo Song‘s) last wish. He also wanted his family reunited one last time in the home they used to live in. His daughter, her husband, and Yong Ho’s granddaughter rush to visit from overseas upon finding that he is close to death. They have one last meal in the house while Gyeo Re, who still refuses to touch Yeom Soo Ja’s (Yang Hee Kyung‘s) sumptuous cooking, watches on, looking moved but not knowing how to express it.

a39b5927060add3813cc576071e9641b3c3f3f94

1858319c0f160f5e102530199c9b96a681cc3513

Spoiler

71ce18762da7a7b4497398bbde69d1c72f09cc54

That’s the thing with Gyeo Re. He genuinely doesn’t know how to express anything that isn’t anger or fear, in part conditioned by his rough upbringing at the orphanage and the brutality of the children there. When someone reaches out to him, he reacts like a wounded animal, snarling back because he isn’t sure that they actually meant it or whether it’s because they want something from him. But his love language seems to be acts of service (no matter if those acts end up causing him harm) because he slips Yong Ho a persimmon in the middle of the night so he can have one, one last time. Only, Yong Ho has already passed. Gyeo Re’s reaction is something to behold, vacillating from disbelief to confusion to bewildered regret as he dazedly says he never got a chance to apologize for being so grouchy. Seo Yeon Joo (Sooyoung) sees right through to the core of him in that moment and blinks back tears, telling him that she’s sure Yong Ho knew. The moment is a transformative one for Gyeo Re because he returns to his Team Genie duties with less of the caustic temperament that he’s known for. And his work is only beginning.

2. Lim Se Hee’s musical

Spoiler

park-jin-joo-2-768x512.jpg

We glimpsed Lim Se Hee (Park Jin Joo, being absolutely fantastic) in the earlier episodes, but this week’s story centers around her. A terminal cancer patient, she butts heads with Yeon Joo when she begs for more pain relievers and accuses Yeon Joo of enjoying watching her suffer. Poor Yeon Joo fights tears while Dr. Yang Chi Hoon (Shin Joo Hwan) cements himself as unlikeable by overriding Yeon Joo and giving Se Hee the meds. But Se Hee is by no means a bad person, just one trying to make the days she has left bearable. A rookie musical actress before her illness, she was inspired after viewing Pyo Gyu Tae (Min Woo Hyuk) on stage.

Spoiler

park-jin-joo-3-768x512.jpg

So her last wish naturally involves bringing Pyo Gyu Tae to see her and put on a musical together. But as Kang Tae Shik (Sung Dong Il) and Gyeo Re find, that’s no easy task—firstly because Gyu Tae has a terrible personality, and second because he’s such a hotshot that he refuses to come see some “cancer girl.” Some coaxing and an ill-timed public faux pas on Gyu Tae’s part result in him being forced to visit where he immediately looks disgusted that Se Hee looks like a cancer patient instead of the bombshell she had been before (ugh, this guy). She’s not too impressed with her hero either, but with enough threats of spilling all to the media, they manage to make it work. Gyu Tae even unbends to seemingly start falling in love with Se Hee, though his manager does say that he’s notorious for falling in love at the drop of a hat. And that’s not the only stirring of affection that results from the musical!

3. Gyeo Re and Yeon Joo getting closer

Spoiler

e0ebe630cd4f27e4299984876fa0adc660954811

6850d13f1ae75242a71b98488df1a423dcd69c9e

Yeon Joo wasn’t initially all that fond of Gyeo Re, but we see her opinions undergo a revision this week as Gyeo Re proves himself just as capable and invested in the outcomes of Team Genie’s efforts, albeit in his very grouchy way. The two are roped into playing the second leads in Se Hee’s musical because she seems to see what they don’t and loves their bickering dynamic.

Spoiler

f4898382c5cb9372ca01d164a136991d48423e08

e57e6b16ab3309770acc61a191a30f0250fbf97a

The two are terrible actors and send everyone in peals of laughter with their attempts to act in love, but there’s a spark there that they both notice. Observing their dynamic, Chi Hoon isn’t the only one who senses something brewing, and he avoids Team Genie even more. Yeon Joo doesn’t hold his departure against him. Rather, she treats him the same as ever, but Chi Hoon’s face falls when he asks for her opinion of Gyeo Re and hears her talk about what a kind soul he is underneath all his outward brashness. As Yeon Joo and Gyeo Re practice, dance, and even laugh together, they start to reluctantly respect each other. Plus, when Gyeo Re keeps doing casual things like wiping Yeon Joo’s lips after she taste tests his food, it’s no wonder that her heart skips a beat. And he doesn’t even know how swoon-worthy that is!

Spoiler

0b0af661806ef5f8960041b5b10c8b62873a3eb9

64206c08ceb6373526ded97461cb5bdc80097364

4. Gyeo Re standing up for Yeon Joo

Spoiler

sooyoung-park-jin-joo-1-768x512.jpg

Chi Hoon’s disapproval of Team Genie’s work has been silently running through the episodes for some time now. It isn’t clear as to why he feels that way especially since he used to be part of Team Genie until recently. But perhaps that role was to rein in what he believed was excessed on Team Genie’s part. As he tells Tae Shik, he doesn’t like that they “remind” patients that they’re dying. It’s a ludicrous idea because the patient undoubtedly knows what they’re feeling, and to refuse them a last wish based on the idea that the doctor always knows what’s best for their mental and emotional health is very paternalistic.

Spoiler

park-jin-joo-1-1-768x512.jpg

Matters finally come to a head when Se Hee falls ill before the musical and pleads for some pain medication so she can stand on stage and see her dream come true. But Chi Hoon refuses, acting like he knows what’s best and valuing Se Hee’s physical health (which is literally deteriorating) over her mental health. This is her biggest dream. She’s quite literally performing with a top musical star, and he’s shutting it down because he thinks he knows what’s best. Yeon Joo steps in to ask him to just give her the medication, which he had no issue doing before, even overriding Yeon Joo’s concerns. But Chi Hoon gets quite nasty about it and yells at her in front of everyone, saying that he’ll “forbid” her from working with Team Genie, which seems like an abuse of authority. Gyeo Re has enough and steps in, asking him what he thinks he’s doing, while poor Yeon Joo looks ashamed to be at the center of such a public argument. She tries to drag Gyeo Re away, which is when Chi Hoon threatens to kick Gyeo Re out of the hospital and asks who he even is to be here. Gyeo Re’s response? That he’s Team Genie, someone who grants wishes. Yeon Joo pretty much has heart eyes. And that’s where the show leaves us this week!

Spoiler

0bfe91903d57bd5f05e5383046c40bad5443117a

d5970564adbe7e7396c2e675dcbfb42679f19fdb

Overall, it’s a delight to see Gyeo Re slowly softening up to Team Genie from trying to hide how much he enjoys Yeom Soo Ja’s food (though there seems to be a story there on why he avoids it in the first place) to reluctantly growing interested in Yeon Joo and acting in Se Hee’s musical. But Team Genie isn’t without its secrets. Take for example the locked room 403 on the fourth floor that no one seems to want to talk about. Why does Soo Ja go in there and report to Tae Shik looking secretive? And why does even Yeon Joo lie about it being a storage closet?

Spoiler

ji-chang-wook-1-2-768x512.jpg

Moreover, Gyeo Re’s still hiding his own past. We’ve seen flashes of Ha Jun Kyung (Won Ji An) thus far, enough to know that she grew up in an orphanage with Gyeo Re who protected her. But she was forced to become a streamer who sold online affection and occasionally other things to viewers (the money was pocketed by the men chasing Gyeo Re). She’s also the real person responsible for the arson that almost killed her and Gyeo Re. With the preview showing her being released from prison, she promises to shake up the life Gyeo Re’s been slowly healing. Uh-oh. But next week also shows us an accidental kiss between Yeon Joo and Gyeo Re! With this much change in such a short time, it should be interesting to see how Gyeo Re reacts. Wednesday, come faster!

4 Moments In Episodes 3-4 Of “If You Wish Upon Me” That Warmed Our Hearts | Soompi

• Like 2

Here is the ratings for Episode 5! :).

Good-Job-If-You-Wish-Upon-Me-Adamas.jpg?

ENA’s New Drama “Good Job” Joins Ratings Race As “If You Wish Upon Me” Sees Boost

KBS2’s “If You Wish Upon Me” earned an average nationwide rating of 2.9 percent for episode 5. This is a boost in ratings from the previous episode’s score of 1.9 percent.

ENA’s New Drama “Good Job” Joins Ratings Race As “If You Wish Upon Me” Sees Boost | Soompi