[Drama 2022] If You Wish Upon Me ★ 당신이 소원을 말하면 ☄ Ji Chang Wook, Sung Dong Il & Sooyoung, Wed&Thu, also on viki and viu

agenth

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Ji Chang Wook, Girls’ Generation’s Sooyoung, Won Ji An, And Sung Dong Il On How “If You Wish Upon Me” Highlights The Best Of Humanity

On August 10, KBS2’s upcoming drama “If You Wish Upon Me” had an online press conference with director Kim Yong Wan and actors Ji Chang Wook, Girls’

Generation’s Sooyoung, Sung Dong Il, and Won Ji An. Sung Dong Il arrived late due to road blockages caused by heavy rain in Seoul and surrounding areas.

“If You Wish Upon Me” is a drama inspired by an actual organization in the Netherlands that fulfills the wishes of terminal cancer patients. A touching story will unfold as a young man who has been pushed to his limits by a life full of struggles joins the staff at a hospice in fulfilling the last wishes of people in the final stretches of their lives.

Director Kim Yong Wan expressed his satisfaction with the starring cast, saying, “Ji Chang Wook, Sung Dong Il, Choi Sooyoung, and Won Ji An all got along from the moment they met, as if they’d been good friends for 10 years. Naturally, the mood on set was great. I was just thankful that they took part in this sincere drama.”

ji-chang-wook-sung-dong-il.jpg

ji-chang-wook-1.jpg

Ji Chang Wook will star in the drama as Yoon Gyeo Re, who is just barely holding on with no desire or motivation to live. At the hospice, his character works alongside Kang Tae Shik, the leader of “Team Genie” (played by Sung Dong Il).

Ji Chang Wook commented, “I’m back at KBS seven years after ‘Healer.’ I debuted at KBS, so it’s kind of like my hometown. It’s a new type of feeling. The script was one that made me think a lot. I started getting an urge to portray this ‘Yoon Gyeo Re’ character well.”

He continued, “I especially contemplated the process of how Yoon Gyeo Re would open his heart to others and get closer to them. It wasn’t easy, but I learned a lot from my fellow co-stars and staff members, and I had fun during filming.”

Spoiler

sung-dong-il.jpg

Sung Dong Il shared, “I got to reunite with director Kim Yong Wan after working together on the drama ‘The Cursed.’ I gladly decided to join the cast because it doesn’t have any action scenes, which I dislike the most, and I get just enough screen time. The drama was made for me. It’s one that I can start at my age. My age right now is the time to start paying attention to the people around me other than myself and my family. ‘If You Wish Upon Me’ has the cast members taking interest in a wide variety of narratives.”

Director Kim Yong Wan added, “Sung Dong Il’s character in ‘The Cursed’ was heinous, but he is so in sync with his character in ‘If You Wish Upon Me.’ Maybe it’s because we worked together before, but we focused on and pondered the same things [while filming this drama]

Spoiler

sooyoung.jpg

Sooyoung will take on the role of Seo Yeon Joo, who spreads hope to everyone at the hospice and approaches Yoon Gyeo Re with an optimistic attitude.

Sooyoung said, “I liked the character of Seo Yeon Joo as she was depicted in the script, because she was healthy. I was looking for a project where the ensemble plays an important role, and that’s when I came upon ‘If You Wish Upon Me.’ Plus, Ji Chang Wook and Sung Dong Il had been confirmed for the series, so I also decided to join the cast with no hesitation.”

She added, “I watched many documentaries about nurses working in hospices. I realized there wasn’t that much they could do—less than you’d expect. Rather than trying to extend patients’ lives through medical measures, they took care of patients with a focus on managing their mental well-being and emotions. At first, I worried about things like how to administer shots [convincingly], but my perspective eventually shifted. I came to focus more on the interactions with patients and guardians at the hospital.”

Spoiler

won-ji-ahn.jpg

Won Ji An will play the role of Ha Joon Kyung, a personification of a black swan embodying all things death and despair.

Explaining what led her to join the cast, Won Ji An said, “I discovered the neediness and hurt embodied by the role of Ha Joon Kyung, and I was curious to find out how she gets healed as the drama progresses. It was also fun to imagine the missing pieces of her narrative not revealed in the script. So far, I’ve mostly appeared in OTT productions. My family was very happy to hear that I’d be appearing in a KBS drama.”

Spoiler

sooyoung-won-ji-ahn-sung-dong-il-ji-chan

The cast members described how nice it was to be on set, with Ji Chang Wook saying, “I’m thankful to Choi Sooyoung. She’s a cheerful person in general, so the mood on set was also upbeat thanks to her. She has a certain charm that makes you feel at ease. I was able to get close to her easily. I think that good energy will also show in our characters’ relationship onscreen. I had a great time working on the drama.”

Sooyoung responded, “I was able to take on a supportive role because Ji Chang Wook and Sung Dong Il first created that kind of environment on set. Any team that contemplates and discusses the script together with you on set is a huge source of strength, and the ‘If You Wish Upon Me’ team was exactly like that. I depended on them a lot.”

Spoiler

sooyoung-ji-chang-wook.jpg

won-ji-ahn-ji-chang-wook.jpg

Director Kim Yong Wan wrapped up by saying, “It’s a drama that the whole family can enjoy. The actors’ performance is a focal point.”

Ji Chang Wook added, “I hope the heartwarming energy reaches the viewers well,” while Sooyoung commented, “The relationships between the characters are entertaining.” Won Ji An also said, “The journey of each person’s wounds being healed after they meet ‘Team Genie’ will be fun to watch.”

“If You Wish Upon Me” premiered on August 10 and airs on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 9:50 p.m. KST.

Ji Chang Wook, Girls’ Generation’s Sooyoung, Won Ji An, And Sung Dong Il On How “If You Wish Upon Me” Highlights The Best Of Humanity | Soompi

• Like 3

Here is the ratings for Episode 1! :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“Extraordinary Attorney Woo” Continues Streak at No. 1 + “If You Wish Upon Me” Joins Ratings Race

KBS2’s new drama “If You Wish Upon Me” kicked off on August 10 with an average nationwide rating of 3.6 percent.

Starring Ji Chang Wook, Sooyoung, and Sung Dong Il, “If You Wish Upon Me” is a drama inspired by an actual organization in the Netherlands that fulfills the wishes of terminal cancer patients. A touching story will unfold as a young man who has been pushed to his limits by a life full of struggles joins the staff at a hospice in fulfilling the last wishes of people in the final stretches of their lives.

“Extraordinary Attorney Woo” Continues Streak at No. 1 + “If You Wish Upon Me” Joins Ratings Race | Soompi

• Like 1

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Ji Chang Wook Creates A Chilly Atmosphere With His Skeptical Attitude In “If You Wish Upon Me”

Team Genie is not impressed with Ji Chang Wook in “If You Wish Upon Me”!

“If You Wish Upon Me” is a new drama inspired by a real organization in the Netherlands that fulfills the wishes of terminal cancer patients. Ji Chang Wook will star as Yoon Gyeo Re, a man who has been pushed to his limits by a difficult life full of struggles. However, when Yoon Gyeo Re winds up having to volunteer at a hospice, he finds his life changing in unexpected ways while helping to make the patients’ wishes come true.

Spoilers

In the first episode of the drama, Yoon Gyeo Re was released from prison but unexpectedly ending up crossing paths with Team Genie. Due to a messy car accident, he was given a choice: either pay a fine or do community service. Kang Tae Shik (Sung Dong Il), the team leader, talked to the judge in order to make Yoon Gyeo Re work at the hospice, and the episode ended with his very late arrival.

Newly released stills show Yoon Gyeo Re at the hospice, and he catches attention with his colorful shirt and luxury suit. Team Genie is cheerfully enjoying bibimbap together, and they laugh warmly as they spend quality time together. However, the atmosphere rapidly turns icy when Yoon Gyeo Re says something to them, and thick awkwardness surrounds them.

In the final photo, Yeom Soon Ja (Yang Hee Kyung) gives Yoon Gyeo Re an unexpected gift as he leaves, and his eyes are filled with wariness. Yoon Gyeo Re, who isn’t used to people’s kindness, will find the hospice family’s warmth unfamiliar. Like the “broken adult child” he is, he will act contrary to his heart and give the members of Team Genie a difficult time.

Ji-Chang-Wook-3.jpg

Sooyoung-1.jpg

Spoiler

If-You-Wish-Upon-Me-4.jpg

If-You-Wish-Upon-Me-1-2.jpg

If-You-Wish-Upon-Me-2.jpg

If-You-Wish-Upon-Me-3.jpg

Episode 2 of “If You Wish Upon Me” will air on August 11 at 9:50 p.m. KST.

Ji Chang Wook Creates A Chilly Atmosphere With His Skeptical Attitude In “If You Wish Upon Me” | Soompi

• Like 1

Is anyone watching? The premiere episode has been unveiled, now 2nd episode as well. I was absent so I couldn't change the thread title before.

I saw one episode only and will see the next one tonight. I will write a more in-depth post when I return home. However, I've got to say that the story is a bit out of touch, as it doesn't make sense that she "spends" the whole day "with" him and then suddenly she dropkicks his car. 

I guess she was very busy during that time they met, and then when she saw him her anger returned? 

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

• agenth changed the title to [Current Drama 2022] If You Wish Upon Me ★ 당신이 소원을 말하면 ☄ Ji Chang Wook, Sung Dong Il & Sooyoung, Wed&Thu, also on viki and viu

I am sort of watching. I remember reading a list of best looking Kdrama actors, he was one of them and I figured that was why the camera was lingering on his face a lot. I'm afraid I FFW a fair bit. 

It was just him leaving the prison, and the crash into the Genie team's ambulance. 

It's typical kdrama for me, slooow. Maybe it will pickup later.

How many episodes is this show?

• Like 3

@maribella great to see you in this drama/thread :D. i thought you mostly do dailies (only). 

have you not seen any other ji chang wook dramas before? he is a versatile actor that does a lot of different genres and characters, and especially renown for bringing emotions to the screen with excellent eye acting. 

i have seen both episodes now and i do also think it is sort of slow on some things, especially character building. that's what the next episodes are for, though... i am interested more in the backstory, his story about not being responsible for the fire etc...  i have not seen a drama before where the main character was someone who had a checkered past like this one. 

i think it's 16 episoes. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, agenth said:

@maribella great to see you in this drama/thread :D. i thought you mostly do dailies (only). 

have you not seen any other ji chang wook dramas before? he is a versatile actor that does a lot of different genres and characters, and especially renown for bringing emotions to the screen with excellent eye acting. 

i have seen both episodes now and i do also think it is sort of slow on some things, especially character building. that's what the next episodes are for, though... i am interested more in the backstory, his story about not being responsible for the fire etc...  i have not seen a drama before where the main character was someone who had a checkered past like this one. 

i think it's 16 episoes. 

Hi @agenth how you have the time to do events  and post messages too, just beats me. Yes, I watch dailies mostly. They can be so hilarious unintentionally, I really like that. 

I saw JCW in Smile Donghae, his very first I think. Not impressed or turned off.

The character was the usual illegitimate child of a chaebol. He was a genius something which is also common to ML of dailies. 

His character is more complex here. But still, the focus on his face was too much.   

The man who heads the Genie is his father or someone important in his days as a boy I think. I am looking forward to the revelation scene.

• Like 3