[Drama 2022] Twenty-Five Twenty-One ​⌛ 스물다섯 스물하나

Maetawinz

for me the middle aged FL saying that she doesnt remember the beach day is not about denying the transience of life. It’s more about the fact that these years are formative years especially for Na Heedo as an athlete. They are supposed to have a profound effect on her, the way  she thinks, the way she behaves at a later stage in life. Moving on from a phase of life is one thing but completely denying something happened is strange especially since she did not go on trips often. Moments are fleeting is true but memories exist and they can crop of in our mind from time to time is also true. When someone mentions something that happened especially from a time which really influenced you - key point in your fencing career, first confession of your life, first few relationships and friendships outside of your family - these things have a profound impact. There should be a flicker of recognition or some reaction other than absolute denial usually. 

I remember reading the quote ‘ who are we but a sum total of our memories?’ . So although fleeting and although the meaning of memories changes over time. They do exist. 

Plus I can’t reconcile the two Na Heedos. 
We are who we are cause everything that happened in our life - every act of destiny and every choice combined made us so. Whether we change or remain the same each character has a trajectory. But the two Na Heedos seem like a different person. 

I love the story and the main leads but so far I don’t understand the arc of the Middle Aged Heedo - either it’s not written well or there is too much left to divulge still. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2

@Raynaa true that. I also feel disconected with two NHD, middle age NHD is competely different than young NHD, I feel like her personality completely change, very contrast to grandma, she become wiser and calm

My thought (contain spoiler and theory, skip if you dont want to read it) 

Spoiler

I'm afraid that middle age NHD have some trauma, I recall in eps 10, young NHD said that her mom never talk about his dad after he died and she obviously cant get close with her mom because NHD mom also appear to be very cold to her own daughter, I wonder that is because of her trauma after her husband died?

In present day, middle age NHD also said she doesnt remember that she went to the trip with her first love and the rest of her friend. .and her personality seems changed compared when she was young. Is she refused to talk about it because some tragic moment in the past? And she said nothing last forever. . 

If BYJ was adopted child and actually have surname kim, KMC could be his daughter, grandma said KMC is smart unlike her mom. BYJ died at young age, but NHD already had child with BYJ, then she married to KMC 'dad' who work overseas maybe? 

KMC is so invested to BYJ story, I wonder because she had connection with him (that she might be his biological daughter) but she doesnt know that yet

But idk if this is too makjang for youth drama like this lol. I hope people dont take it seriously, this is just my random thought lol

• Like 3

I love reading all of your thought in this thread guys keep going :wub:

I agree with some of you here, I actually also enjoyed their friendship progress and we learn more about JW and SW but I feel like the build of their friendship and their character is kinda late? I mean we only learn about what happened to JW and SW in eps 10, I think that should happened in earlier eps.

The momentum also isnt quite right because we got BYJ and NHD confession at eps 9 and ended as cliffhager and then it shifted in eps 10 like nothing happened. So eps 10 feel so slow compared what happened during eps 9, and the plot isnt moving. And I saw some people complained about adult BYJ confessing love to a minor. .I hope that the plot will moving forward yet we stuck at 23 19 until next week, which their age is still inappropriate. I think that public also feel the same because the rating isnt moving and stay flat compared to last week even in sunday which usually scored higher.

Now we have only 5 eps remaining, not even adult NHD in sight. .we still need to know about middle age NHD too! Thats why I concerned and yet eps 10 feels so slow and the plot isnt move, when we dont have enough time. 

• Like 4

I think there’s not a single person who likes casting of older Na Heedo. I still don’t understand why they couldn’t age Taeri up. The possibilities with makeup to make someone look older are quite vast. Especially when they kept the actress playing her mum in the present timeline.

Couldn’t they at least find an actress who resembles Taeri? There’s just not a single similar trait - the way she moves, the way she talks…. It’s truly like watching a different person.

There’s this bitter taste in my mouth after adult Heedo said she didn’t remember a beach trip. If she went to tens of similar trips it’d be more understandable that she forgot. But she only went once and she didn’t remember it? What the heck?

If this drama’s message is that nothing lasts forever, then they shouldn’t have made us root for Yijin in the first place. They shouldn’t have made us see his story and root for him to succeed and find his happiness. I want to know how his story ends. I’m not interested in some random dude with a surname Kim who will end up with Heedo.

This is as equally Yijin’s story as it’s Heedo’s.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

maybe hee do did start to remember when min chae asked her, and then she realized that she forgot and that's where her remark on nothing lasts forever came from. the beach trip was special when it happened, but a lot of other things might have also happened, like competitions, hardships, finding a new career, meeting and falling in love with her husband, birthing min chae. these things would have kept her busy and would have eclipsed some of her high school experiences

i am actually ok with the casting of older hee do, haha. i actually find her to be positive, but there must be something wrong with my perception because all i'm seeing in the internet are negative feedbacks

she does not really nag min chae, she lets her daughter stay in her old house, she teaches her about the nature of training and progress, she brings her to the hospital when she's hurt. she's a good mother. we dont see her being too loud or rowdy because she is older now, she has learned to behave in front of people and there is really no occasion for her to be too happy. if we see her in a noraebang, maybe we'll see her loud enthusiasm again

• Like 6

i finally watched ep10.. when MC asked about the beach trip during her high school times, i think the adult HD genuinely didn’t remember it.. could she be suffering from some selective amnesia? like certain life events were intentionally blocked out in her memory

her final few statements

nothing lasts forever

everything is momentary

they all flow away

…. and thats not always a bad thing

she spoke with teary eyes

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I find this whole talk about adult NHD fascinating!

I really like your take @aria26 and I totally agree that what seems so important to us at one point can become insignificant later. This is what life is about. Things change and like adult NHD seems to suggest, this can be for the better. This is what teenage years are like - you are so close to some people, people you cannot imagine being without, but a few years later, you are not in touch anymore and you have gone in such different directions that when you do speak, you do not have much to say to each other... that is how life is. So I can totally understand how this trip which is so important and fun in 1999 becomes just a memory among many others in 2021... That is completely understandable and realistic.

However... and that is where it breaks with a realistic protrayal is that you cannot forget a whole trip you took when you were 19. You might be think about it at all which would equate it to oblivion, but when someone reminds you of it, you should at least remember that it happened. You might not remember what you did, or even who was there, but you should at least say "Oh yeah, I did go there"... That would be the simpleness of this scene. Forgetting is just going to the extreme... Makes sense ?

So yeah I would tend to lean towards @Raynaa analysis. There has to be something weird about adult NHD supposedly (or not) forgetting that a whole trip ever happened...

And I am saying that as someone who does not dislike the actress that portrays adult NHD... I don't think we have enough info or scenes with her to really judge. Like you @aria26, I don't think it was a bad casting choice. NHD is quite immature and you can see that side of hers in adult NHD but in an adult-acceptable way.

@rocher22 I really liked SW in this episode. She is so clever and you can feel that her cleverness makes everything boring around her. I am really curious to as to what she will become in the future.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Another fabulous episode! I am okay with the slo-mo relationship development for OTP because it feels authentic to them. The story’s timeline is intentionally slow and it was done to emphasize the nostalgia. It really hit me like a ton of bricks if you grew up in the 90’s. It’s like rose colored reminiscing of the student and youth trips. SW really shined in this episode and her little radio show (little bro having a fan crush was cute too). Her bribe strategy cracked me up! Maybe she is a journalist or media personality now too! 

My theory re adult HD not remembering - can be a red herring or just wanting to emphasized the point that several users have mentioned that life can changed one’s perspective (teenager vs adult) but stressing this will reduce the credibility of the lovely relationship between OTP. To-date the key message is important relationship - life altering type - so I don’t believe that adult HD would forget. 

Spoiler

I have two theories: 1. Mom is intentionally lying since she is not ready to discuss the trip and probably the people involved In the trip with daughter - so she is shutting it down; 2. Maybe it’s a trauma reaction of something that happened with YiJin so she has selective memories or mini amnesia relating to YJ? Gosh I hope it’s not the case because it is too melodramatic for me and I don’t want this drama to use the trauma amnesia trope.

I hope it’s theory 1. Still think they’ve pick the wrong actress for adult HD but I am willing to see what the writer has planned. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Raynaa said:

for me the middle aged FL saying that she doesnt remember the beach day is not about denying the transience of life. It’s more about the fact that these years are formative years especially for Na Heedo as an athlete. They are supposed to have a profound effect on her, the way  she thinks, the way she behaves at a later stage in life. Moving on from a phase of life is one thing but completely denying something happened is strange especially since she did not go on trips often. Moments are fleeting is true but memories exist and they can crop of in our mind from time to time is also true. When someone mentions something that happened especially from a time which really influenced you - key point in your fencing career, first confession of your life, first few relationships and friendships outside of your family - these things have a profound impact. There should be a flicker of recognition or some reaction other than absolute denial usually. 

I remember reading the quote ‘ who are we but a sum total of our memories?’ . So although fleeting and although the meaning of memories changes over time. They do exist. 

Plus I can’t reconcile the two Na Heedos. 
We are who we are cause everything that happened in our life - every act of destiny and every choice combined made us so. Whether we change or remain the same each character has a trajectory. But the two Na Heedos seem like a different person. 

I love the story and the main leads but so far I don’t understand the arc of the Middle Aged Heedo - either it’s not written well or there is too much left to divulge still. 

I agree. In fact, who of us don't remember our first day in school? Our first trip abroad? Our first boyfriend/girlfriend? That beach trip was supposed to be HD's first "school" trip. It's supposed to be meaningful. I only did a few school trips, and since those were only a "few", I can remember them all.

So, basically, she is either suffering from a trauma or has amnesia.

Moreover, I don't dislike the actress playing middle-aged HD, but she doesn't resemble young HD AT ALL. There's no similiarity, except, perhaps, the name and hair? I mean, even the voice register is totally different! They look like totally different people...

Even though I have lots of theories about the ending, a big part of me still hopes for a happy ending where Min-chae's father is actualy YJ, after changing his surname. There must be a reason why we are put in the dark about HD's husband. It is intentional and misleading. I just hope they won't screw the story by giving us a very bad ending.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Episode 10 was such a fun and progressive side quest, love moments like this. For me, the relationship between Na Hee-do and Yu-rim is so much more interesting and captivating than with Back Yi-Jin, always looking forward to a scene with those two... hoping they build on that even more, and from the preview, it seems they do. 

Really love that last scene with an older Na Hee-do telling her daughter she doesn't remember the trip to the beach, though her younger self says she feels the moment will last forever, very touching a bittersweet moment, though I don't understand why she was so happy saying she doesn't remember. Maybe there's more to this in later eps. 

1 hour ago, Kathia said:

I agree. In fact, who of us don't remember our first day in school? Our first trip abroad? Our first boyfriend/girlfriend? That beach trip was supposed to be HD's first "school" trip. It's supposed to be meaningful. I only did a few school trips, and since those were only a "few", I can remember them all.

So, basically, she is either suffering from a trauma or has amnesia.

Moreover, I don't dislike the actress playing middle-aged HD, but she doesn't resemble young HD AT ALL. There's no similiarity, except, perhaps, the name and hair? I mean, even the voice register is totally different! They look like totally different people...

Even though I have lots of theories about the ending, a big part of me still hopes for a happy ending where Min-chae's father is actualy YJ, after changing his surname. There must be a reason why we are put in the dark about HD's husband. It is intentional and misleading. I just hope they won't screw the story by giving us a very bad ending.

I feel if she was suffering from amnesia or trauma, they would have approached the scene with more dread and uneasiness, I don't sense that sort of thing at all. 

• Like 2

i was scrolling through tumblr and there was an idea there that hee do might have many beach trips with this gang after. maybe she was confused when min chae said it was a school trip, because she was never in a school trip? although going that route would actually diminish the importance of her not remembering

i do wish yi jin and hee do end up happy together. min chae seems to be okay with her dad although undergoing that teenage angst where she pushes for conflict with her parents, hee do looks happy, so it could mean they are actually a happy family. i can imagine yi jin growing old and evolving into the hopeless romantics that were his parents

but the set up does not easily allow for that, not without turning this into a makjang rollercoaster

if this was a 20+ episode drama, there would have been more space to explore each of the characters more thoroughly, instead we are left with just narrations of their lives. the episodes are also relatively short compared to reply 1988 which was so good in weaving the stories of the friends together. i am also a kid of the 90s and the boredom/activism that seungwan had is familiar and would have been freeing to watch.

• Like 2

what do you think about the age gap? i read that some people in korea dislike that yijin confess when heedo is in high school

not saying it is right but it depends on the person. how i should i say it hmm but atleast i can trust yijin. for me the way yijin confess is like, i like you and i will wait for you when you are ready and grow up. no pressure at all. 

perhaps in the real world there are less people like them so that why we kinda reluctant when high school couple with older guy(not too much age gap). for me as long they did nothing wrong according to their believe and ethics, and priotize what is important, eg: student need to focus more on study instead of love then i got no issue

i read in wikipedia, the song 25/21 is part of jaurim album that have theme grief. if you listen to the song, you kinda get the feeling even you did not understand the lyrics. perhaps we will have get a bittersweet ending? i kinda lowering my expectation so i wont feel sad if it is not happy ending

honestly, with current progress i doubt we see them in 25/21. it just that only 6 ep left. hmmm i have no idea how they the story will proceed currently

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don’t know how about you but I’d be devastated if the drama ends with adult Heedo and Yijin passing by each other with their respective families and just nodding to each other in acknowledgment. I know it might be more realistic but this is k-drama and my heart would shatter into million pieces if this is the ending the writers prepared for us.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, ainipang said:

what do you think about the age gap? i read that some people in korea dislike that yijin confess when heedo is in high school

not saying it is right but it depends on the person. how i should i say it hmm but atleast i can trust yijin. for me the way yijin confess is like, i like you and i will wait for you when you are ready and grow up. no pressure at all. 

perhaps in the real world there are less people like them so that why we kinda reluctant when high school couple with older guy(not too much age gap). for me as long they did nothing wrong according to their believe and ethics, and priotize what is important, eg: student need to focus more on study instead of love then i got no issue

i read in wikipedia, the song 25/21 is part of jaurim album that have theme grief. if you listen to the song, you kinda get the feeling even you did not understand the lyrics. perhaps we will have get a bittersweet ending? i kinda lowering my expectation so i wont feel sad if it is not happy ending

honestly, with current progress i doubt we see them in 25/21. it just that only 6 ep left. hmmm i have no idea how they the story will proceed currently

They really doubled down on the idea of age gaps with that moment between Ji-Seung Wan and Back Yi-Hyun, saying she’ll wait for him, though that was probably played around with just for a gag. So I’m sure they’re aware. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, aisling said:

I don’t know how about you but I’d be devastated if the drama ends with adult Heedo and Yijin passing by each other with their respective families and just nodding to each other in acknowledgment. I know it might be more realistic but this is k-drama and my heart would shatter into million pieces if this is the ending the writers prepared for us.

Oh gosh, that ending would be the worst of the worst! I'd rather choose for YJ's death than them drifting apart and having their respective families even after the ordeals they went through together. It will not be a bittersweet ending but bitter.

• Like 1

is the legal age in korea 21? most countries in the world have that at 18, so for the international audience I dont think it's a big deal. and it's not like yi jin was forcing hee do to do anything, although his flirtations could be accused as a form of seduction by prosecution in court. although as we are the audience, we can see that hee do is not immature or of unstable mind to be manipulated into doing something she does not want

yeah, they used seung wan and yi hun to acknowledge that, and with seung wan's cunning, that relationship could actually turn out to be more manipulative hehe

i dont know why it should be a big deal, i grew up thinking that dating a college guy while in high school is the coolest. i've seen many relationships of minors with adults and in most cases it is not abusive (although it is true that abuse can happen if the couple is in an unhealthy environment in the first place). my 12 year old cousin though thinks it's icky, so I dont know, have times changed?

on another topic. I hate love triangles and I think yu rim and ji woong are cute, but I am really dying for seung wan to be in the middle of that. i know it's cliche and it's actually nice to see an untarnished male-female friendship, but i'm itching for angst for this three. i dont want to ruin the story though, so if anyone can just write a gut wrenching fanfic about seung wan silently pining for ji woong, please do so

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, aria26 said:

on another topic. I hate love triangles and I think yu rim and ji woong are cute, but I am really dying for seung wan to be in the middle of that. i know it's cliche and it's actually nice to see an untarnished male-female friendship, but i'm itching for angst for this three. i dont want to ruin the story though, so if anyone can just write a gut wrenching fanfic about seung wan silently pining for ji woong, please do so

I know!! At first I was totally rooting for YR and JW but seeing how SW watched them and based on some of the things she said and felt, I think there might be more... I am torn because I like SW so I want her to have a fling with someone and at the same time, I don't want over the top drama.

I do hope we'll get more of SW in the upcoming episodes. I really like her and I am quite intrigued.

@Kathia Wow that's hardcore!! ha ha... I'll take the passing each other without much of a sign over death any time !!!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Come what may, i just wanna drop it here that i am glad that Kim Tae Ri did her romantic comedy debut with Nam Joo Hyuk, and not anyone else.

To me, Na Hee Do & Baek Yi Jin the greatest love story of K-dramaland.

They might be young, but mannn the amount of respect and love they got for each other is like an old couple, unbending and unconditional.

#TwentyFiveTwentyOne is the first romcom series i watched after 3 years, and boy was it worth the wait.

Ohh, and apart from the bridge scene, i personally cant quite get over the part where Hee Do and Yijin conversed while watching the gang played at the beach.

YJ: How do you like this trip ?

HD: I don't know about the school trips other kids have been to, but this one is way more fun. I'm positive.

YJ: The other ones are more fun.

HD: ... But then you won't be there.

:elated:

• Like 4
  • Love 1