[Drama 2022] Anna ✦ 안나 ✧ Bae Suzy / Jung Eun Chae

Maetawinz

Has anyone watched it? I just watched the 8-episode Director's Cut on Amazon Prime, and I thought it was awesome! One of the best dramas of the year for me.

Spoiler

Here's a Korean article about the differences in the Director's Cut and the original 6-episode Coupang Play version:

https://m.hankookilbo.com/News/Read/A2022081910450002559

It says that in Coupang's version, the focus is solely on Suzy's character, Anna. In the Director's Cut, there are flashback scenes that explain more about the backgrounds of Ji-won and Ji-hoon's characters which help explain their actions. There are also additional scenes that flesh out Anna's character more - one in particular shows how she reacted after she was sexually harassed by a fellow tenant at her gosiwon - that shows more of what kind of person she is.

These are all great scenes so even if I haven't watched the Coupang version, I recommend the Director's Cut.

--

My thoughts on the show is:

Wow, fascinating! I think it's a great commentary on Korean society. The story is said to based on a real-life case about someone named Shin Jeong-ah who faked her academic credentials:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_Jeong-ah

Her case set off a reevaluation about academic credentials and so many people including those in politics and the entertainment world have been found to have faked their academic credentials. So it's certainly a comment on South Korean society - how easy it was to fool people about this, and also how much importance is placed on academic credentials to define the value of a person that they end up lying about it so often.

Aside from that, it was also just really engaging and well-made. I don't want it to spoil it for anyone because it's good!

• Like 1