[Drama 2021] Gentleman and Young Lady, 신사와 아가씨

Lmangla

@Lmangla thanks for posting the link. I was thinking about it with all the comments flying about; and I already knew about this law. The year was 1996. I think the law was still in effect as of a couple of years ago. If you're a single parent your child is not eligible for both medical care and schooling/ govt help if you're single- household wise. And don't provide the father's name for women. And vice versa.

I am NOT even defending the father's excuse in this drama. Its logical in 2021 to tell a young child that the current partner is not their biological parent. Since people switch partners enough in this day and age.

1996 South Korea. 2002 when she hits kindergarden and you tell her that is the stepmum; but then the kindy teacher finds out because the kid tells her she has a stepmother etc etc. And kids start gossiping. As far as I know even now- South Koreans who adopt children do not tell their kids they are adopted. I don't know the percentage but I do know that cases like this happen.

Just pointing these social facts out. When the writer decided to go this route. Besides KBS2 always does OTT storylines.

2nd point. We all know that people do have premarital sex. In real life. In South Korea. The drama chose the female lead to be younger and purer. Since Kdramas love contrast. Hence the older and experienced male lead.

However and a big however its totally bias though that only a woman who has been married- since openly stating the FL had premarital sex with an ex- boyfriend is a no-no- is the one suitable to look after 3 children.

One can be involved with younger. Or older. Men. Feelings or material reasons etc for a relationship to start.

Lack of experience in sex. Is not a prerequisite in looking after 3 children. 

On the other hand if I am a rich CEO I would have hired a professionally qualified nanny anyway.

Putting all these comments aside I actually wanted to watch this drama. Since even if I didn't like the age gap one is allowed to fall in love.

Its the whole " one must have a fated destiny meeting YEARS ago " trope which irritated me. 

And ahjusshi who was kind to a pre- teen subsequently realising she was the young girl he helped icks me out.

And who the h**l goes around in bicycles in let's say 2006- how old was she?- in full naval uniform. I understand being in uniform and on bicycle since SK has national service. But the whole dress white just made me roll my eyes. 

I can stand age gaps. And children. Since its a common theme.

What has me sitting on the fence is whether I can stand bad writing. Even if I like the actors.

They just made the start of the whole drama so tacky. And yes weekend dramas are watched by an older demographic however bad writing is bad writing. So who has heard of the writer or PD?

I can't even start the drama properly now because it's looking like idiotic tropes on the opening weekend alone. And yes I am talking about the freaking walking in suits. Since we know that a lot of Koreans hike recreationally. And also spend loads on expensive hiking clothing.

Then we have him. In a suit.

Sigh. The WRITING is so bad.

ADDIT- omg. I went to see both the writer and PD's resume. See you guys in episode 30. When I will fast forward till I am up to date. I am doing it purely because I like the male lead. But heck- I can't stand the main writer's works. The PD is ok. Both are experienced. I just can't stand Han Sa-kyeong's other dramas.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, confusedheart said:

What's his role in the drama? Make out with the lady? Wow! Is this how he promised to become a rich and successful? Being a boy toy for a pervy lady?

poor guy , he only succeeded to lose his pant , underwear and the shirt on his back ( literally What was his  become her not the opposite :mrgreen: ) 

PJh4EqT.gif

Hc5X4c5.gif

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

13 hours ago, ck1Oz said:

@Lmangla

I can't even start the drama properly now because it's looking like idiotic tropes on the opening weekend alone. And yes I am talking about the freaking walking in suits. Since we know that a lot of Koreans hike recreationally. And also spend loads on expensive hiking clothing.

Then we have him. In a suit.

Sigh. The WRITING is so bad.

I agree the writing is bad, but this particular point didn't bug me because of his reason for being out there. That trail had the no trespassing sign because somebody died by falling over the cliff, and from what the stepmom said, it appears to have been his wife, and he can't help himself from going there sometimes thus the impulsive trip in a suit.

• Like 4

Despite all criticism, bad writing and absurd plot, I still enjoyed the first two episodes mainly because of the ML and the three children?  It seems to go 'Parasite' way. Not very excited about that. Everyone seems to have it so easy. Talk about coincidences! Everyone seems to be out to suck the life force out of the poor ML, including FL and her family. Not liking the characters, except the ML and his three children, especially the youngest son.

The wife's death seems to be mysterious. Has the body not been found? Is he still seeking the remains so he can find a closure?

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

The first episode has everything that turns me off: harmfully pointless secrets, shrill/annoying/cliche/man obsessed Female characters, too much hysterical screaming and whining. Reminds of a  silly makjang Daily drama and I was so looking forward to this :(

It’s a hard pass for now but To be fair I will check in again at episode 20. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, marrez1 said:

i like this drama, the age gap and the scene where FL is a teen doesn't bother me, because i understant they just want to shown that the leads are linked by the past

Agreed, it also did double duty in showing the male lead's personality before he lost his wife.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

On 9/27/2021 at 11:19 AM, qynn said:

Online, the hate was strong for the previous drama, Revolutionary Sisters, but the ratings remained unchanged. 

I watched the first episode and thought it was worse than Revolutionary Sisters (which was awful!)  I do like the cast and some of the supporting characters, maybe it will get more likeable.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Hello Chingus! :1646639759_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1):

The new poll is up! Please vote and let us know how you feel about the drama.:issohappy:

@rocher22  @D27Gjk68 @knkg @marrez1 @RobinM @qynn @Ameera Ali @ck1Oz @nohamahamoud2002 @brooksmom @Shinobu @jamiehartford @rolisrntex @backstreetboysfan @irilight @maribella @LeftCoastOppa 

Re - @Lmangla @partyon @Sleepy Owl @agenth @confusedheart

(Your friendly neighbourhood EOs)

• Wiggle 1
  • Blob 6

@knkg it's called coherent flow and good writing. Sometimes KBS2 dramas have them. I have spent over 6 years watching KBS2 weekend dramas. There are some which are really good and I rewatch them.

I actually don't skim the conversations. I may have fast forward episodes where I didn't like a certain plot line etc but when I am interested in a plot arc I actually don't skim as I use weekend dramas to practice my Korean.

I know what the first 10 episodes are usually about. The dramas all follow a certain trajectory. Then the plot becomes clear from ep 20 then ep 30 is crucial. Once we hit ep 30 to about 45 its makjang all the way. Then ep 48- 50 is the resolution. So I am used to the momentum. Once a drama starts in a super- predictable way I tend to know how it goes. The director plays a huge part as some PD drags on and on for a scene. The timing is slow, the acting especially shrill.

However when its done well the weekend drama is addictive. And the supporting cast usually really good. I have a tendency to like the male lead and have no issue with the age gap. 

Its the execution of the first 2 episodes which is making me wary. However I do like the male lead enough to give it a go just because I missed him. The writing better be flowing. I don't mind children in a drama. I've watched Five children countless times. Some of my favourite dramas are KBS2 weekend dramas. My all time favourite was a SBS Family's Honor and that was 54 episodes. So the length doesn't bother me.

I have no strong opinions yet for this 2 episodes. I just haven't decided if its worth following weekly yet or a marathon from episode 20.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

Ok. I just watched the clip raw without subs. Yes yes I understood what was said. 

That's why I said the PD is so important. Got the vibes now. The OTT acting in the mountain scene can be transferred to any ahjumma in the market acting scene. That explains why the flashback moment with the stepmother was like that.

I have checked out the writer's previous works and also the director's as well.

This is going to be a typical weekend drama vibe. OTT and irritating side characters. Man she was quite histrionic in the mountain wasn't she? Look at what she said and how the actress acted. These are typically what the PD probably asked her to do.

Oh well. Guess I will be here for the ride. Dial the expectations low, expect makjang, hope the OTP interactions once they are together are sweet. Because I expect a ton more contrived " disasters " with kids acting up or accidentally until episode 30 or thereabouts. Actually they tend to drag on and epsiode 34 to 42 might be the best.

Yes I wonder sometimes too why I watch weekend dramas. They are aggravating. But their meal scenes are sometimes good. And I use it sometimes for inspiration on what Korean dishes to cook. Lol. I saw so many gukbab, japchae, bimbimbap scenes in weekend dramas that I end up cooking them after watching it.

Sigh. I know this ends in March 2022. So its going to be a long ride. I will call it now.  Christmas is when she realises her feelings then New Year will be about right- episode wise- for the OTP to get together.

See? That's why I watch weekend dramas. Its so quintessentially Korean. Where orher shorter 16 to 24 episode dramas all try to be different or sophisticated. Weekend dramas are predictable and suits the weekend mood.

• Like 4

Ever once in awhile though there are real Gems like Marry me Now or Father is Strange so it’s worth giving them a fair try. 

But most Daily Dramas make even a subpar weekender look like high art ;)  

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

@RobinM don't make me laugh. I am thinking of starting My 2nd Husband. The 120 episode drama only because both daily dramas and weekend dramas have ordinary vocabulary words which I can use. I was chit- chatting to cab drivers, market holders just fine based on the words from dramas. Even the dishes? Thats how I can recognise fhe menu in the shops.

Father is strange was good. But My daugher Seo Yeong is my go to when I am seeing masochistic and want some therapeutic anger venting.

But the mountain scene in this drama? I laughed so hard. The actress has some fantastically white veneers and when she was pleading and being all hysterical she was so funny. I swear thats exactly the type of pleading I see in any other Kdrama. From the little kid, the poor Mummy, the ahjumma, the evil witch trying to escape jail, the con artist uncle- exactly the same. The mountain scene and the police scene. You can literally SEE the Director's hand in making the actress act that way.

Every time the male lead went " here. Here. Agasshi " I was thinking at which point would he say it's dangerous over there. Not until the last minute. When she reached the rock. God that was funny. Because it was so cliched drama writing. I am super familiar with " danger, stop immediately etc. " 

The writer had to drag it to the last minute. Thank goodnes the PD didn't do the super slow pacing. I had to drop a drama once because the PD made every. Moment. So. Serious. And. Slow.

That's why I said I will follow this even though it looks as cliched as all heck. Because some days you just want some makjang on your weekends.

• Like 5