[Drama 2021] Gentleman and Young Lady, 신사와 아가씨

Lmangla

Spoiler

Netizens disapprove of KBS's new drama 'Young Lady and Gentleman'

AKP STAFF

1632597787-collage-4.jpg

KBS's new drama series 'Young Lady and Gentleman' was not well-received by netizens.

On September 25th, the new romantic drama series 'Young Lady and Gentleman' premiered. However, the show gained negative attention online for its wide age gap between the main couple in the drama. Most netizens did not hesitate to express their deep-seated aversion to the drama's scene where the two main characters meet each other for the first time. The said scene showed a 13-year-old child meeting the 27-year-old man, which later leads to the main plot.

1632598163-optimize.jpg

Some of the comments include: "Wide age gap isn't a real problem here. It's the fact that they showed a child potentially falling in love with a grown-up man. They could have just shown them falling for each other after they both became adults." 

"This is so effing gross."

"Okay, why are the production team focusing on their age gap so much? I really don't like how they are directing a scene like this."

"Please leave complaints to the KBS drama production department. This should not be tolerated."

"What is wrong with this country? Why are they keep producing this type of show? Who's approving?"

"This would only encourage pedophiles. We literally had child rapist Cho Doo Soon making headlines."

"If they wanted to show their relationship naturally evolving, they could have made it as 20 years old and 34 years old."

"I usually like the age gap trope but this isn't it. I wanted to call the police as soon as I saw a 27-year-old talking to a 13-year-old child." 

Source

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2021/09/netizens-disapprove-of-kbss-new-drama-young-lady-and-gentleman

• Like 3

2 hours ago, confusedheart said:

It's just one thing I couldn't understand. Why not tell Dan Dan about her biological mother? She is now old enough to understand? Why let her live in misconception and make her hate you because of some misunderstanding? I think they as a family would come closer if the 'secret' about her biological mother was revealed and the situation explained to her so that she would not misunderstand either her father or her non biological mother.

I agree. I understand the initial lie. The single father in the Youtube video I posted did the same, told his daughter her mother was dead so she could think of her as a good person. When Dan Dan's father realized that she thought he had cheated on her mom with the stepmom, he should have told her the truth. It's hard, but why let her hate the two people who have been there for her instead of the one person who has not. But dramas have to drama. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, confusedheart said:

It's just one thing I couldn't understand. Why not tell Dan Dan about her biological mother? She is now old enough to understand? Why let her live in misconception and make her hate you because of some misunderstanding? I think they as a family would come closer if the 'secret' about her biological mother was revealed and the situation explained to her so that she would not misunderstand either her father or her non biological mother.

What I am more curious is how did she find out that her mother is not the real one? And why did the father let the adoptive mother take the blame? I would feel soo wronged cause she’s been raising her with care. Not like in My Only One, the adoptive mother was soo mean to the FL. I hope all of these questions will be answer throughout the drama. 

• Like 2

I accidentally saw a screen cap of this drama which shows the main guy (who also played Alcheon from Seondeok many many moons ago and I've been wondering where he disappeared to), so thought I would watch it for him.  I like the guy but this is a big hot mess.  I'm okay with age gap and everything but setting up with the teenager and the adult guy doing play dates in the beginning give me weird vibes.  But that's only the fraction of the weird stuff.  A married man with two kids and a younger woman?  What could go wrong?  I'm not sure I can wade through the mess.  The first ep already shows enough troubling women.  And what was with the weird over the top encounter at end of the ep?  Come on now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shinobu said:

I accidentally saw a screen cap of this drama which shows the main guy (who also played Alcheon from Seondeok many many moons ago and I've been wondering where he disappeared to), so thought I would watch it for him.  I like the guy but this is a big hot mess.  I'm okay with age gap and everything but setting up with the teenager and the adult guy doing play dates in the beginning give me weird vibes.  But that's only the fraction of the weird stuff.  A married man with two kids and a younger woman?  What could go wrong?  I'm not sure I can wade through the mess.  The first ep already shows enough troubling women.  And what was with the weird over the top encounter at end of the ep?  Come on now.

This honestly does not sound like it was posted by someone who actually has watched this drama  First, he's not a married man. He's a widower. Second, he has three kids not two. Third, their encounter was just a random thing not a playdate. An encounter where he, an adult treated her as a child that she was. There was absolutely nothing romantic about it.

Lastly, their encounter at the end of episode one was the result of Dan Dan being drunk and paranoid, she panicked and couldn't think straight. And I wouldn't even fault her for being suspicious, who expects to see someone in an immaculate business suit out hiking?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, knkg said:

Lastly, their encounter at the end of episode one was the result of Dan Dan being drunk and paranoid, she panicked and couldn't think straight. And I wouldn't even fault her for being suspicious, who expects to see someone in an immaculate business suit out hiking?

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised the writer change up the storyline because it is not well receive in South Korea right now. I honestly didn’t think it was a problem that a thirteen years old meeting her crush that’s almost 30. We all have those when we were little; however, we have to remember, it is a weekend drama, and people who do watch this drama is the older generation. Judging by the fact that South Korea really care about rating, the write will change up a little bit. I would love to see the storyline follow through. The only thing that bothers me is that FL who’s virgin and she’ll have 3 kids throw at her, that does not flow well with me. And It just drives me nuts that it is another poor female and rich male again. 

13 hours ago, Lmangla said:

EVENT Alert! What do you think should happen next? Calling all drama viewers who have an opinion on which direction a drama should be heading in. Here is your chance to play PDnim. Participate in this joint screenwriting game and lets see what kind of drama Soompi chingus come up with. Surely, it will be better than some of the duds we have been subjected to, right? :lol:

that sounds so much fun!! Let’s do it!! However it is too early to tell how the story will unfold! I will do my prediction after about 5th episode, haha. 

another point, I hope the writer will not do the 기생충 (parasite) effect, haha. 

• Love 1
  • Blob 1

15 hours ago, brooksmom said:

@backstreetboysfansaid: "Kang Eun Tak was in a episode 1 (Just one scene) when the FL was younger and they were fighting over the ice cream."

I was referring to the actor. I don't think he was in episode 1. This is one episode I did no skipping. And the FL was fighting with her step brother not her uncle(Kang Eun Tak). Isn't Kang Eun Tak the actor who was the lead in Man in a Viel.

12 hours ago, brooksmom said:

@backstreetboysfan, @knkg Ok. I saw him. I would be one lousy witness if needed. Guess that baseball cap is suppose to make him look 12 years younger than the present. 

Yeah he was the lead for Man in a Viel.

Oh okay, yeah that was the scene.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jamie Hartford said:

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised the writer change up the storyline because it is not well receive in South Korea right now. I honestly didn’t think it was a problem that a thirteen years old meeting her crush that’s almost 30. We all have those when we were little; however, we have to remember, it is a weekend drama, and people who do watch this drama is the older generation. Judging by the fact that South Korea really care about rating, the write will change up a little bit. I would love to see the storyline follow through. The only thing that bothers me is that FL who’s virgin and she’ll have 3 kids throw at her, that does not flow well with me. And It just drives me nuts that it is another poor female and rich male again. 

Do you have any evidence for this other than that shitty allkpop article? Ratings wise episode 2 recorded an increase although from a quick survey, sundays do generally sees an increase it was a substantial one.

I also don't understand your hangup that she's a virgin, what does that have to do with her being paid to take care of a bunch of kids?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, knkg said:

Do you have any evidence for this other than that shitty allkpop article? Ratings wise episode 2 recorded an increase although from a quick survey, sundays do generally sees an increase it was a substantial one.

I also don't understand your hangup that she's a virgin, what does that have to do with her being paid to take care of a bunch of kids?

Nooo, I meant when she marries him, lol. Also, from past experience with knets, the production do listen to them because they care about ratings. Furthermore, I was simply offering my opinion, I love the storyline so far! Actually it would be great if the writer will not change the storyline. 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2021 at 6:42 AM, Jamie Hartford said:

I have a question regarding baby’s registration in South Korea. Can a father not register his baby under his name? Why is that only the mother can and father cannot? Let’s think this in reality, let’s say a father really “cannot” register his own baby, what happens with the baby? Does he really have to show proof of DNA? I don’t this is an US thing. 

someone had answered this question in the comment section on the site I watch about the legalities. so I googled the father mentioned Kim Ji-hwan and here is the news video and article I found that better explains the situation...

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2021/03/28/culture/features/single-father-Sarang-birth-registration/20210328153300693.html 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

Here is my only beef with this drama and it is the cast. Seriously, does KBS not know there are other actors and actresses in Seoul other than these folks? At least half the cast in this drama have appeared in at least 1 (some cases 2 or 3) of the last 4-5 weekend dramas. How about some variety?

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

3 hours ago, rolisrntex said:

Here is my only beef with this drama and it is the cast. Seriously, does KBS not know there are other actors and actresses in Seoul other than these folks? At least half the cast in this drama have appeared in at least 1 (some cases 2 or 3) of the last 4-5 weekend dramas. How about some variety?

they need to have some well-known ones for rating purposes! Also there are some new faces, like 이휘향 Lee Hwi-hyang, or 오현경 Oh Hyun Kyung! Also, I think it is the writer’s choice to pick which actors she wants in her production. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rolisrntex said:

That's how KBS weekend dramas are. They cycle through a set of veteran actors whom mainly do weekend dramas and round out the cast with some supporting actors, newbies and an established actor or two hoping for a career revival. This particular cast is more heavy on the vets and newbies than some.

I doubt the writer makes any changes. The ratings were in line other weekend dramas and honestly, KBS weekend dramas have a loyal, older audience, and it's unlikely they are the ones complaining online.  Online, the hate was strong for the previous drama, Revolutionary Sisters, but the ratings remained unchanged. 

• Like 3