[Drama 2021/2022] The King of Tears, Lee Bang-won /Taejong Lee Bang-won, 태종 이방원

larus

This incident breaks my heart.

I wish I could unsee the pictures and the video.

Clearly, they intended to get the horse to fall flat with the rope on its front legs. 

I now wonder how many horses and animals had to be injured, or worse, died to get a good scene.

• Like 3

People's Power Presidential Candidate Yoon Seok-yeol urged, "We need to create an advanced filming environment" in response to the controversy over animal cruelty after a horse died while filming episode 7 of KBS's 'Taejong Lee Bang-won'.

Candidate Yoon posted on his Facebook on the 22nd, "I heard the sad news that a horse that fell down while filming a scene in a historical drama recently died. The stunt actor who filmed the scene was also injured and lost consciousness. He wishes you well,” he wrote.

He said, “It is said that shooting a horse is dangerous for both actors and horses. Overseas, even when filming the movie 'Braveheart', which was already released in 1995, it is said that elaborate models were used for scenes of horses that were killed or injured. It was technically filmed by putting real horses and puppet horses in one scene to make them look real,” he pointed out.

“Scenes that are dangerous to animals are not safe for humans,” he said. If there were excessive practices such as tying a rope to a horse's leg and forcing it to fall, we need to take this opportunity to improve and create an advanced shooting environment.” “Nothing is more important than life,” he said. I hope that public broadcasting will put more effort into creating a production environment that is safe for both humans and animals.”

Earlier, in the 7th episode of KBS' 'Taejong Lee Bang-won', the scene of Lee Seong-gye (Kim Young-cheol) falling off the horse became a controversy. The filming was conducted by tying a wire to the horse's ankle and forcibly knocking it down. In the process, the horse was seriously injured and eventually died, sparking controversy over animal cruelty.

https://www.donga.com/news/Politics/article/all/20220122/111382682/2

Girls’ Generation’s Taeyeon Reacts To Animal Abuse Controversy In “The King Of Tears, Lee Bang Won”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Jan 22, 2022
by C. Hong

Girls’ Generation’s Taeyeon took to social media to express her anger over the animal abuse controversy on the set of “The King of Tears, Lee Bang Won.”

On January 21, KBS issued an apology after a horse died a week after being used in filming for “The King of Tears, Lee Bang Won,” a traditional epic sageuk drama. To create a scene in which a character fell from a horse, the horse was pulled to the ground using a rope tied around its legs, and viewers raised concerns regarding animal abuse and the dangerous nature of the stunt.

On Instagram Stories, Taeyeon shared a screenshot of the complaint that Korea Animal Rights Advocates (KARA) filed against the drama and wrote, “The video was extremely painful to watch and brought tears to my eyes. It makes me angry. How can they film like that in this day and age.. It’s a horrifying thing for both the people and the animals. Was there someone who ran to check the horse’s state right away? Who on earth came up with this idea for this unbelievable method of filming?”

taeyeon3.jpg

Actor Yoo Yeon Seok also spoke out about the controversy on social media, writing that productions should ensure the safety of animals as well as stunt actors instead of prioritizing money and time.

“The King of Tears, Lee Bang Won” is not airing this week.

• Like 1

Horrible, truly horrible. Poor horse! How could they do such a danger stunt? We live in the 21st century and we have CGI and special effects. I really can't understand their foolish brains. They must be held accountable.

This all makes me think that perhaps this happened before on sets. But the animals survived even with injuries. If the horse had lived, we wouldn't know about that atrocity. That truly gave me Lord of the Flies vibe, where they killed real animals for scenes.

• Like 1

Korean Animal Welfare Association Issues Statement About Interview With KBS Over “The King of Tears, Lee Bang Won”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Jan 25, 2022
by E. D

The Korean Animal Welfare Association (KAWA) has released a statement regarding their meeting with KBS over the incident with a horse during the filming of “The King of Tears, Lee Bang Won.”

Viewers raised concerns with KAWA over potential animal abuse in a scene that aired in KBS’s historical drama “The King of Tears, Lee Bang Won,” where a horse was pulled to the ground using a rope tied around its legs. The horse died a week after it was used in the filming, and KBS issued an apology. Several celebrities have also spoken out against animal abuse on filming sets in light of the incident.

After the incident occurred, KAWA requested an interview with KBS in order to confirm the truth surrounding the incident as well as to prevent a reoccurrence from happening. The interview was attended by the head of the KBS Drama Center, the executive producer, and the head of the Drama Center’s planning and operation team.

Throughout the interview, KAWA stated that they called for “new established guidelines on animal welfare,” and demanded an “animal filming ethics committee to be organized that includes experts, such as animal organizations, versed in animal welfare and safety,” and for KBS to include animal welfare experts in their viewer committee.

In response, KBS said that it would come up with measures to ensure animal welfare on set during internal discussions after collecting opinions from experts.

On January 24, KBS issued another statement regarding the incident. The full statement is below:

KBS will work to respect the value of life.

Recently, a disgraceful event occurred while filming the drama “The King of Tears, Lee Bang Won.” KBS feels deeply responsible for not protecting the lives of animals on set, and we sincerely apologize to viewers and the public.

There are no scenes that need to be filmed while endangering the lives of animals. KBS believes this accident was a tragedy caused as a result of a lack of awareness of animal welfare and ethics.

In order to ensure this type of accident does not occur again, we will prepare production regulations regarding animal safety and welfare as soon as possible. We will take the advice and reprimands from viewers and related organizations seriously.

KBS will not only independently identify the exact details of the incident, but will also faithfully participate in investigations with external organizations.

Using this incident as a lesson, KBS will do its best to inspect and improve the overall production site to ensure a disgraceful incident will not occur again. Through this, we will try to become a trusted public media.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1509938wpp/korean-animal-welfare-association-issues-statement-about-interview-with-kbs-over-the-king-of-tears-lee-bang-won

• Thanks 1

Joo Sang-wook, surprise appearance in 'Alumni Travel' amid controversy over 'Taejong Lee Bang-won'... Are you okay [General]

9ca1def58b08ef6e05efb8025cc0fd39b4f91e41

Actor Joo Sang-wook from 'Taejong Lee Bang-won' appeared in 'Alumni Journey'. 'Taejong Lee Bang-won' was canceled due to a horse death accident. During the controversy, Joo Sang-wook appeared and drew attention.

This day's broadcast was decorated with a restaurant tour in Yeoju, and Cha Ye-ryun appeared as a guest. It also surprises you with its unusual taste.

Cha Ye-ryun and Heo Young-man go to a restaurant to eat chueotang, the delicacy of Yeoju. Cha Ye-ryun invited Heo Young-man, saying, "Her husband is a teacher's fan" and "when will you come to Seongsu-dong?" At this moment, Joo Sang-wook received a phone call.

To Joo Sang-wook, who was filming for 'Taejong Lee Bang-won', Heo Young-man said, "Lee Bang-won's image will change depending on how Joo Sang-wook acts."

Joo Sang-wook said, "I hope you see it in a good way."

Meanwhile, 'Taejong Lee Bang-won' was embroiled in an animal cruelty controversy. In the process of filming the scene, they put a wire on his horse's front paw and pulled it, causing the horse to fall and injure its neck. The horse was said to have died a week later, and the Animal Protection Association even filed a complaint against KBS.

(Google translate)

http://stoo.asiae.co.kr/article.php?aid=77425884610

'Taejong Lee Bang-won' side "Cancellation on the 5th and 6th… Discussing the resumption of broadcasting"

image_readtop_2022_97429_164385609949354

A KBS official told Maeil Business Star Today on the 3rd, "'Taejong Lee Bang-won' has been confirmed to be canceled on the 5th and 6th. We are discussing the resumption of broadcasting.”

After the controversy over animal cruelty, the show has been on hiatus since the 22nd of last month. The filming schedule has also been suspended, and we are currently discussing whether to resume broadcasting and future schedules.

Animal rights activist groups such as Kara and the Animal Freedom Coalition have condemned the cruelty of animals by the production team of 'Taejong Lee Bang-won', and at the same time received a complaint for violating the Animal Protection Act. In response, KBS said, “We deeply feel responsible for the accident that occurred during filming and we apologize. We will try to find a different way of filming and expressing so that an accident like this does not happen again.”

https://www.mk.co.kr/star/broadcasting-service/view/2022/02/97429/

• Sad 1

KBS to resume TheKingOfTearsLeeBangWon broadcast on 26 February. The drama has been cancelled for weeks since its animal abuse controversy, causing a horse died after being used on set. KBS says that their side has released a production guidelines,

in order to ensure bioethics implementation & the safety of animals appearing on their dramas, to prevent similar case happening in the future. KBS thanks animal welfare organization reps who helped them organizing the guidelines

On 2/9/2022 at 10:03 AM, backstreetboysfan said:

KBS to resume TheKingOfTearsLeeBangWon broadcast on 26 February. The drama has been cancelled for weeks since its animal abuse controversy, causing a horse died after being used on set. KBS says that their side has released a production guidelines,

in order to ensure bioethics implementation & the safety of animals appearing on their dramas, to prevent similar case happening in the future. KBS thanks animal welfare organization reps who helped them organizing the guidelines

Well, I'm glad that it worked out for all parties involved. I'm glad those concerns supposedly have been adequately addressed and I look forward to seeing the show in the future regardless!

The show was left on the cliffhanger and I'm ready to see that part of the story line resolved.

Edited by ferily
Please don’t quote embedded Tweets. Thanks!
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, TheQueenReturns said:

Well, I'm glad that it worked out for all parties involved. I'm glad those concerns supposedly have been adequately addressed and I look forward to seeing the show in the future regardless!

The show was left on the cliffhanger and I'm ready to see that part of the story line resolved.

Yes, I so agree with you @TheQueenReturnsnod.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jung Tae-woo returns to the set of 'Taejong Lee Bang-won' "I missed you"

image_readtop_2022_159075_16451857444951

Actor Jung Tae-woo announced the resumption of filming for 'Taejong Lee Bang-won'.

Jung Tae-woo posted on his Instagram on the 18th, "#Swag finally resumed filming. I missed the scene,” and posted a picture. In the published photo, Jeong Tae-woo is staring at the camera while wearing a hanbok and hat. Jung Tae-woo is appearing in the KBS1 drama 'Taejong Lee Bang-won' as Lee Sook-beon.

Previously, 'Taejong Lee Bang-won' was caught up in controversy over horse abuse and stopped filming and broadcasting. KBS has released three apologies and guidelines for animal safety guarantees, saying, “KBS is deeply responsible for the unfortunate accident that occurred during the filming of ‘Taejong Lee Bang-won’, and once again deeply apologizes to the public and viewers.” On the 26th, starting with episode 13, it was announced that the broadcast would resume.

https://www.mk.co.kr/star/broadcasting-service/view/2022/02/159075/

• Like 1

Poor Crown Prince. Your evil mother and ding dong father brought this upon you. I actually feel sorry for the kid. Your brother does love you, but he hates your mother more because he trusted her completely and she stabbed him, spit on him, and mocked his mother for dying. His father call his deceptive concubine and then later Queen, a wise woman when she really was a nine tailed fox.

KBS’s “The King of Tears, Lee Bang Won” also returned to strong viewership ratings after its own six-week hiatus, earning a nationwide average of 8.0 percent for its latest episode.

Read more: https://kdramabuddy.com/love-ft-marriage-and-divorce-3-premieres-to-higher-ratings-than-season-2-tracer-makes-strong-return-to-air/#ixzz7M3u327Ti

• Like 1

The relationship between Prince Bangwon and his wife Princess Min is so sweet they make me cry. Princess Min is such a strong woman. Bangwon will win this war against his father and JDJ because of the strong support of his wife and her influential family. I can't wait to see the battle between JDJ and Bangwon and Princess Min's role in winning the battle. I wonder if this drama will cover the 2nd strife.

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

Over in the public broadcast network realm, KBS’s “The King of Tears, Lee Bang Won” similarly enjoyed its own significant increase in viewership for an average nationwide rating of 9.0 percent.

Read more: https://kdramabuddy.com/twenty-five-twenty-one-ratings-hit-new-all-time-high-forecasting-love-and-weather-and-love-ft-marriage-and-divorce-3-rise/#ixzz7M92cQFOw

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

'Taejong Lee Bang-won' Joo Sang-wook with a sword in Lee Kwang-gi starts a daring run towards the throne

optimize

http://enter.etoday.co.kr/view/news_view.php?varAtcId=220873

https://www.news1.kr/articles/?4604834

'Taejong Lee Bang-won' Lee Kwang-gi and Joo Sang-wook's sharp words "This is my last advice"

1646262719615014.jpg

https://www.xportsnews.com/article/1543740

• Like 2