Li Tai Yan as Lan Lin
Jampa Tseten as Xu Dong
Ren Luo Min as Wang Qin
Shi Yue Ling as Empress Dowager
Wang Jian Guo as Ying Xi
Yang Yun Zhuo as Xuan Ji
Yang Meng as Liu Xian
Zong Xiao Jun as Boss Jia
Zhang Zhi Zhong as Gong Shang Shu (Minister Gong)
Zhang Shao Rong as Tao Zhoufeng

Synopsis:

Zhang Ping is a poor scholar who wanders on the streets, who makes use of his skills in pulling noodles to make a living. Despite being unremarkable in looks, he has a meddlesome nature and likes to involve himself in the cases of the government. Using his sharp observational skills and out of the box thinking, he is able to grasp the unique points of each case. However due to his solitary nature he isn't well liked by others. Lan Jue, the Minister of Rites, is constantly embroiled in the political strife of the court. Possessing a gentle and elegant appearance, he appears to lead a smooth-sailing life, but actually hides a growth history that is unknown to many.

One day as Zhang Ping travels to the capital to take the National Examinations, he accidentally gets embroiled in Lan Jue's secret operation. Using his genius reasoning, he managed to solve the case, but also disrupts Lan Jue's plan, while also discovering Lan Jue's secret and saving his life. From then on, the two people with a disparity in status and contradictory ideals became close friends, facing tough cases straight on and going through life and death situations together. Under Lan Jue's recommendation, Zhang Ping slowly transforms from a poor scholar to a minister in the Dali Temple, solving cases and handling affairs in the court; making a name for himself as a genius detective.

Cr: Dramawiki

**Please use spoiler tags for those who have not seen the episodes yet**

Preview:

OSTs:

Coming soon...

Additional Links:

Novel translation can be found here: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-mystery-of-zhang-gong/

Original novel was published here: http://www.jjwxc.net/onebook.php?novelid=1180294

RULES of SOOMPI
Don't post any requests for subs! Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images. Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately. Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, etc. should be reported to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here. Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their ID/IDs reported to the mods. Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs (those without permission from the original subbers and doesn't have copyrights like Viki, Dramafever or Crunchyroll) will have their ID reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions. PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE!

For any Issues and Abuse
Please report to moderator @SC2019

• Love 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

(Posted on: Thursday, 16 September 2021)

"A League Of Nobleman" got it's Broadcasting Licence on 14 September 2021.   The Mandarin Title has been changed to "君子盟" (Jun Zi Meng).  No more "张公案".  @SC2019 perhaps you may like to edit it.

Rumours have it that it will premier on the 4th or Last Quarter of 2021.

• Like 1

• SC2019 changed the title to [Upcoming Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] A League of Nobleman 君子盟
13 hours ago, hush puppy said:

(Posted on: Thursday, 16 September 2021)

"A League Of Nobleman" got it's Broadcasting Licence on 14 September 2021.   The Mandarin Title has been changed to "君子盟" (Jun Zi Meng).  No more "张公案".  @SC2019 perhaps you may like to edit it.

Rumours have it that it will premier on the 4th or Last Quarter of 2021.

Done, title updated. 

• Blob 1

21 minutes ago, rabbit_casa said:

I thought it would be banned as China just passed the policy to ban boy love dramas. The Immortality may never see the light. What a shame! 

I didn't think this was a BL drama.

There are more male actors but they definitely do not look "girly".

Nor is the story about bromance between the two male leads. 

Did it air already?

57 minutes ago, ElleSor said:

Did it air already?

I think this is borderline BL but not as obvious as other ones. For some reasons, when you search for the upcoming BL dramas, this one keeps being mentioned as well. I do look forward to this one so it's a relief that it managed to obtain the license. I think it should premiere soon if everything goes well.

19 hours ago, rabbit_casa said:

Oh, apparently the novel the drama based on is BL but the producers never take the drama that way, so it's going to be a mystery drama with minimal romance ❤. I hope it is good. The posters and the sypnosis sounds really promising.

Ah, so the director is toeing the line with this.

Hehehe! I got mystery novel vibes from the trailer which is why I was wondering where the BL is coming from. 

On 9/17/2021 at 1:35 PM, ElleSor said:

Did it air already?

As soon as I saw the casting I was sure they are going to stay as far as possible from the BL direction. Those guys imo qualify more as friends/partners. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/18/2021 at 9:48 PM, leo2020 said:

As soon as I saw the casting I was sure they are going to stay as far as possible from the BL direction. Those guys imo qualify more as friends/partners. 

I know right?

Jing Bo Ran is a hottie in his own right and so is Song Wei Long.

• Like 1

This is based on a webnovel 'The Mystery of Zhang Gong' by Da Feng Gua Guo.

@SC2019 - Can you add the links to the novel translation (https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-mystery-of-zhang-gong/) and the site the novel was published on (http://www.jjwxc.net/onebook.php?novelid=1180294) ?

On 9/17/2021 at 12:12 PM, rabbit_casa said:

I thought it would be banned as China just passed the policy to ban boy love dramas. The Immortality may never see the light. What a shame! 

This is actually not a BL drama. The novel is 'no CP' - doesn't contain any pairing. But that's going from the jjwxc description - I haven't read the novel.

Edited by 44ko
  • Like 1

On 10/7/2021 at 11:57 PM, leo2020 said:

@ElleSor honestly never thought about both of them as hotties (maybe just not my "type":wub:), but I'm very interested into the story! 

Hahaha...I guess, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. 

I really like SWL and JBR. Yes, I am interested in their story as well.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, hush puppy said:

(Posted on: Thursday, 28 October 2021)

"A League Of Nobleman" now has 29 episodes.

24 is the original no.  But after editing, it became 30.  Eventually they trim it down to 29

And still being edited...at this point, it's 2022?  I am waiting for soooooooooooo long now.

4 hours ago, OAZ said:

And still being edited...at this point, it's 2022?  I am waiting for soooooooooooo long now.

@OAZ  Oh no!  They trim it down to 29 episodes before they submit to their Censor Board.  It was stated as 24 eps here.  Which was also correct.  Because it was originally announced as a 24 Episodes Drama.

So I was wondering whether I should say this out.  It is a small detail anyway.  And can be edited later when the drama premieres

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leo2020 said:

@OAZ @hush puppy  I've noticed that a number of  dramas, some of them highly anticipated, decided to lay low for now... No new info/material coming from that dramas recently... This drama is one of them... Hope it will come out eventually :wub:.

@leo2020 You are definitely correct.  Especially the BL Dramas.  Which is why they change the Chinese Title to "君子盟“ ("Jun Zi Meng").  To distant themselves from the BL IP Novel, on which this story is based on.  

Even though the drama-version has no BL elements.  It is more of a Detective Story.  And the Two Male Leads are more of a Mentor-Student Relationship.

The whole problem arose from the:

- Wu Yi Fan's scandal.  Because Wu Yi Fan's "Golden Hairpin" is financed by Ten Cents.  And so is  "A League Of Nobleman".  So Ten Cents decide to put all it's BL productions on hold until things cool down.  

- Then came the Zhang Zhe Han's scandal.

What a year !