[Drama 2021] The Red Sleeve Cuff, 옷소매 붉은 끝동

ferily

MBC Drama

The Red Sleeve Cuff

7A042697-C0F7-4FED-BB96-4BDFFB944786.jpeg

Drama: The Red Sleeve Cuff (literal title)

Revised romanization: Otsomae Beulgeun Kkeuddong

Hangul: 옷소매 붉은 끝동

Director: Jung Ji-In

Writer: Kang Mi-Kang (novel), Jung Hae-Ri

Network: MBC

Episodes: 16

Release Date: November 12th, 2021 - January 1st, 2022

Runtime: Friday & Saturday 22:00

Plot

Set in the 18th century, "The Red Sleeve Cuff" depicts a love story between King Jeongjo and royal concubine Uibin Sung.

Sung Deok-Im is a court lady. She gets involved with Crown Prince Lee San and he falls in love with her. The crown prince eventually becomes King Jeongjo. He now desires Sung Deok-Im to become his concubine, but she refuses. Sung Deok-Im wants to live her life freely, something that will not be possible as a concubine. She also knows that life of a royal concubine does not generally bring about happiness. Yet, Sung Deok-Im becomes the concubine of King Jeongjo.

Cast

Lee Jun Ho as Lee San

4D023E78-F44E-4675-A550-F49CF7EBE789.jpeg

Lee Se Yong as Sung Deok Im

7564EEED-2C7F-41A2-950D-F66D79CF14B7.jpeg

Kang Hoon as Hong Deok Ro

A1FF854B-5FE2-48EA-B2EA-CEBDDD03BDDD.jpeg

The Royal Family

(Lee San’s family)

Lee Deok Hwa as Kin Yeong Jo

6e5ff21b6d800b1c321876f2f08711a740566e1c

Jang Hee Jin as Queen Jeongsoon

ec42ed088497b4848f949d25da4d1746b273bc1e

Kang Mal Geum as Lady Hyebin

434c4a3392e0f4a991f71b5bd6d7d3184fd60c28

Kim I On as Princess Cheongyeon

75fd6c391785edb96aa191e8684b6332ee4b0e05

Kim Kang Min as Kim Doo Sung

3a09101bf6b80aa9f407ac5a329429b2e60d8d57

Jo Seung Her as Princess Chungsun

a9364621d0527ba3b3a2fd3229d68ebc302991ef

Baek Je Ki as Jeong Jae Hwa

40738a623fe8571ff06c22f174b89d18a26344db

Seo Hyo Rim as Princess Hwawan

f8fef8afa409a08b0257bd869b54319ce36583f6

Kwon Hyun Bin as Jeong Baek Ik

ec2573137f60909b65768951ba348e2330dc6d68

The Court Ladies

(Sung DeokIm's People)

Park Ji Young - Head Court Lady Jo

536753eafd5867475488ca19d47f5ec5fadc7255

Jang Hye Jin as Court Lady Seo

ae861125a6f3c56d9cf96f6f68c57005545e6927

Cha Mi Kyung as Court Lady Park

cda789f5dc45f51ebd5403b32345baf8de56b18a

Ji Eun as Kang Wol Hye

b8df974ccffad5a9748fba4596fd2e1328af5a59

Lee Min Ji as Kim Bok Yeon

1da6a868232ed9e85097bb00015a62a16bc47c5f

Lee Eun Saem as Son Young Hee

26e8d216ff20764dd5a85d907fd951b2fe13eb9e

Ha Yul Ri as Bae Kyung Hee

2f11e7bd60914c65ebb4b2bce12492cc46ade550

Ministers & Court Officials

Jo Hee Bong as Hong Jeong Yeo

ceab10e118757a5c67baa12174326a11e79cad3c

Moon Jung Dae as Seo Kyung Joong

41a39259b7b4ec7eca16668d59364d60572fcbbd

Oh Dae Hwan as Chief Kang Tae Oh

f509bb490887b1f2118ee3d829077495b52d4550

Yoon Hyo Sik as Crown Prince’s Eunuch

b69704bcdaeefbe8b7417ba919918917646f75cd

1st Teaser

2nd Teaser

3rd Teaser

4th Teaser

5th Teaser

Relationship Chart

ECD49106-9076-42F8-A5EE-20104B07E48E.jpeg

Don't post any requests for subs! Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images.

01.Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately.02.Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.03.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, Etc.. should be report to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.04.Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their Id/IDs reported the mods. 05.Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs ( those without permission from the orginal subbers and doesn't have copyrights like  SOOMPI TV, Viki, Dramafever, Kdrama.com or Crunchyroll) will have their ID's reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions.PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

ses.jpeg.8dd6d13cf774228607423cb04b33834

2PM’s Junho And Lee Se Young Confirmed For New Historical Drama

2PM’s Junho and Lee Se Young are confirmed to star in the upcoming MBC historical melodrama “The Red Sleeve Cuff” (literal translation) together!

The new Wednesday-Thursday drama “The Red Sleeve Cuff” will be a record of an imperial court romance between a court lady, who wanted to protect the life she has chosen, and an emperor, who put the nation first before love. “The Red Sleeve Cuff,” which is based on a novel of the same name, will be helmed by director Jung Ji In, who worked on “Radiant Office” and “Hold Me Tight,” and it will be written by scriptwriter Jung Hae Ri, who worked on “Ruler: Master of the Mask.”

Junho will be playing the meticulous and proud Yi San, who was born as the direct descendant and eldest grandson of the King. Yi San puts in endless effort in order to become a good and wise king, but he has been traumatized by his father’s death. However, when he meets the ambitious court lady Seong Deok Im, he clumsily begins to show a romantic side he didn’t know he had. Yi San will one day become Joseon’s King Jeongjo, and in the process, he’ll be conflicted between choosing cold rationality as one nation’s leader and passionate love as just one man.

Through the dramas “Just Between Lovers,” “Wok of Love,” “Confession,” and “Good Manager,” Junho received praise for his stable acting and ability to take on any genre. “The Red Sleeve Cuff” will be his first project since his discharge from his mandatory service in March. Viewers are highly anticipating Junho’s transformation into Jeongjo Yi San as he goes back and forth between a level-headed monarch to a man in love.

Lee Se Young will be playing court lady Seong Deok Im, who wants to independently make decisions about her life rather than be one of the King’s many women. Seong Deok Im, who will one day become the royal noble consort Ui of the Seong clan, seeks out small moments of personal happiness inside the palace, in which pressing political matters often occur. Although her everyday life was once peaceful, her life drastically changes when she meets Yi San.

The actress has already impressed viewers with numerous projects including “The Crowned Clown,” “Doctor John,” “Memorist,” and “Kairos.” In her most recent project “Kairos,” Lee Se Young made a shocking transformation with her new short hairstyle, leaving a strong impression on viewers. Due to her detailed and skilled acting, viewers are excited to see Lee Se Young take on the role of the court lady Seong Deok Im, who will make even Joseon’s King fall in love with her.

The production team shared, “We’re excited and happy about the meeting of the greatest actors Lee Junho and Lee Se Young, who have exceptional acting skills and unique charms. We will greet viewers with a proper traditional romance sageuk (Korean historical drama) that is aimed precisely at the viewers’ hearts in the second half of 2021, so please look forward to it.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1468622wpp/2pms-junho-and-lee-se-young-confirmed-for-new-historical-drama

• Like 3

seyoung.jpeg.504a0229e65f5cd7eb655d46452

Lee Se Young Talks About Working With 2PM’s Junho For Upcoming Historical Drama, Taking On New Hobbies, And More

Lee Se Young looks elegant in her pictorial with the Korea’s first augmented reality magazine NewBIN AR!

The photo shoot took place in the raining forest with an extravagant dress, creating an alluring and bewitching atmosphere. Lee Se Young shared, “It’s the first time that it rained while I was doing a photo shoot, so it was a rather fun experience.” Nevertheless, the actress quickly adapted to the impromptu change in concept due to the weather condition.

Lee-Se-Young-3.thumb.jpg.923077d486bdbd0

Lee Se Young has continued to rise to fame through her work in numerous dramas including “The Crowned Clown,” “Memorist,” and “Kairos.” In the interview that followed the photo shoot, Lee Se Young talked about her upcoming MBC historical melodrama “The Red Sleeve Cuff” (literal title). Based on the novel of the same name, “The Red Sleeve Cuff” will be a record of an imperial court romance between a court lady, who wanted to protect the life she has chosen, and an emperor, who put the nation first before love.

Lee-Se-Young-2.thumb.jpg.c6f5a976fad9349

Spoiler

Lee-Se-Young.thumb.jpg.de4d5c6b85106d26a

Lee Se Young shared, “I want to understand the sentiments of the original work well in order to portray it.” Regarding her co-star 2PM’s Junho, she revealed, “We worked together during the script reading and the test filming, and his personality is really great.” Although the actress normally has a habit of changing her phone background image to that of her co-star in order to immerse herself in her role, Lee Se Young revealed that she has yet to change her background.

Spoiler

Lee-Se-Young-4.thumb.jpg.ac4f4305faea82f

Lee Se Young continued to share that she doesn’t have any big worries in her life and that she is happy for the most part. She commented, “I got even closer to happiness after I started playing soccer last year and learned calligraphy this year. It feels like a new world is opening up.” She added, “Time is so precious, so I started to learn golf as well. I’m confident that I can be the ace in all the fields. Except in work.”

Spoiler

Lee-Se-Young-5.thumb.jpg.f50d4a73244daf4

Asked to describe her 20s in a few words, Lee Se Young chose the terms “desperate, fierce, and energy.” Lee Se Young added, “I hope to be fierce until I die. Whether it’s my mind or body, I want to live healthily and upright.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1478134wpp/lee-se-young-talks-about-working-with-2pms-junho-for-upcoming-historical-drama-taking-on-new-hobbies-and-more

• 2 weeks later...

saw some updates on DCgallery, is Ha Seokjin going to play the Prince Sado?

https://theqoo.net/?mid=dyb&document_srl=2134782901

Hope it is true, though I wish he would be in the drama longer, but knowing what happened with Prince Sado he most likely be only seen in episodes 1...

Lee Junho Prepairing for his role:

.... as elegant Lee San aka King JeongJo, he starts practicing chopsticks use on R hand (he is ambidextrous but uses his L with Chopsticks)

and asking Jinyoung for pointers at time 5:00

• Blob 2

On 8/26/2021 at 8:46 AM, czakhareina said:

First look on them side by side...

English Subbed Here

Junho was also asked a recent interview regarding him preparing for his role: 

Esquire Kore August 2021 

Question: In MBC's upcoming drama <Red Sleeve Cuff> due at October, you are playing the role of King Jeongjo. In <I Live Alone>, you were practicing for the character using the chopsticks with your right hand, This Left a deep impression.

Answer: I am a left hander. I thought to act as king Jeongjo who was deep into Confucius culture, he was probably eating with his right hand. I also read a lot of books to try to understand his character. I've discovered his perfectionism. In some ways, I think this is the part where I find our similarities

credit: JLML718

• Like 2

2PM’s Junho Looks Charismatic In 1st Glimpse Of His Royal Character For Upcoming Drama

2PM’s Junho Looks Charismatic In 1st Glimpse Of His Royal Character For Upcoming Drama

MBC’s “The Red Sleeve Cuff” (literal title) has unveiled its first stills of 2PM’s Junho!

The new Friday-Saturday drama “The Red Sleeve Cuff” will be a record of an imperial court romance between a court lady who wanted to protect the life she has chosen and an emperor who put the nation first before love. The drama is based on a popular novel of the same name and will be a traditional sageuk.

Junho plays the meticulous and proud Yi San, who was born as the direct descendant and eldest grandson of the King. Yi San puts in endless effort in order to become a good and wise king, but he has been traumatized by his father’s death. However, when he meets the ambitious court lady Seong Deok Im (Lee Se Young), he clumsily begins to show a romantic side he didn’t know he had. Yi San will one day become Joseon’s King Jeongjo, and in the process, he’ll be conflicted between choosing cold rationality as one nation’s leader and passionate love as just one man.

The first stills of Junho as Yi San show him changing into his royal robe. He stands upright, exuding the charisma of the eldest grandson of the king, as the eunuch and court lady busily dress him in his robe. His cold, piercing eyes, furrowed eyebrows, and pursed lips all convey a solemnness that is also alluring in a way. His serious appearance leaves viewers wondering how the strict and arrogant young man will fall in love and gradually change.

junho.jpg

The drama’s production team shared, “As this is Lee Junho’s first drama following his military discharge, he is preparing eagerly to greet the viewers. Just as he is known to be a hard worker, he is doing his best to analyze his character to create his own Yi San. You will be able to sense Lee Junho’s improved acting and enhanced charm. You will fall in love with Lee Junho’s Yi San.”

“The Red Sleeve Cuff” will be helmed by director Jung Ji In, who worked on “Radiant Office” and “Hold Me Tight,” and it will be written by scriptwriter Jung Hae Ri, who co-wrote “Ruler: Master of the Mask.”

The drama is slated to premiere in November.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, rocher22 said:

I love his calm face...    Deokim looks smart and capable...    :yay:

Me too. He looks so charismatic and intense.
I feel like he came from intense acting/look/charisma academy rather than the military. 

So excited to see this drama soon, November come soonnnnn....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, czakhareina said:

Me too. He looks so charismatic and intense.
I feel like he came from intense acting/look/charisma academy rather than the military. 

So excited to see this drama soon, November come soonnnnn....

yep, this role perfectly suits him..     :wub:

E-Qe5pJVEAExBge?format=jpg&name=360x360

I assume she is smiling because she needs to meet the crown prince..     :D

E-VEdnEUYAAOGLJ?format=jpg&name=360x360

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rocher22 said:

yep, this role perfectly suits him..     :wub:

I assume she is smiling because she needs to meet the crown prince..     :D

I think based from the synopsis, she was more keen on being out of the harem and living freely despite probably falling for dear crown prince... 

Lee Se Young Is No Ordinary Court Lady In Upcoming Historical Drama Starring 2PM’s Junho

Lee Se Young Is No Ordinary Court Lady In Upcoming Historical Drama Starring 2PM’s Junho

MBC’s “The Red Sleeve Cuff” (literal title) has unveiled its first stills of Lee Se Young!

The new Friday-Saturday drama “The Red Sleeve Cuff” will be a record of an imperial court romance between a court lady who wanted to protect the life she has chosen and an emperor who put the nation first before love. The drama is based on a popular novel of the same name and will be a traditional sageuk (historical drama).

2PM’s Junho plays the meticulous and proud Yi San, who was born as the direct descendant and eldest grandson of the King. Lee Se Young stars as court lady Seong Deok Im, who wants to independently make decisions about her life rather than be one of the King’s many women.

The drama previously shared a glimpse of Junho in character. This time, MBC showed a sneak peek of Lee Se Young’s new role.

In the new stills, Seong Deok Im exudes gentle and mature vibes in her light pink hanbok (traditional clothing) and neatly braided hair. In one photo, she is sitting alone in a library and writing in a book. Unlike ordinary court ladies, she’s ambitious and straightforward, and it will be intriguing to see her unique charms. Another photo shows Seong Deok Im racing somewhere with a bright smile on her face. She still has a book by her side, and she looks lighthearted as she sprints through the forest.

lee-se-young-1.jpg

lee-se-young-2.jpg

lee-se-young-3.jpg

The production team shared, “We can’t imagine Seong Deok Im being played by anyone else. Lee Se Young has solid experience built through her long acting career. She is creating a three-dimensional and attractive character by freely moving back and forth between the confident and simple human Seong Deok Im and the dignified court lady Seong Deok Im. Viewers will fall in love with Lee Se Young’s charm that will also captivate Junho.”

The drama is slated to premiere in November.

• Like 3