[Drama 2022] Tracer, 트레이서

larus

I loved Ep1.  :lol:  Thanks to the TaxPayers Sub.  I tried the other site and @Ayame was right, the English didn’t make much sense grammatically.  Still even with the superb subs I was struggling to get a handle of all the different divisions and people.  But I guess that’s just normal in the beginning.  Hopefully it will all fit together as the drama progresses.  SiWan is doing a great job here.  Love him already.  He totally fits the geeky guy who outsmarts the big guns.  Who knew how much crap/ridicule the humble tax department civil servants take on in the background?  Looks to be a fun ride complete with quirky characters.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ayame said:

The subs for the first two episodes that was released earlier was machine translated (so not that accurate), but a fansub team on Twitter just released Episode 1 with subs:

Thank you so much for the link. I had trouble understanding within the first few minutes of the first episode so I was not satisfied at all :( 

Edited by gm4queen
Please don't quote tweets! Thanks!
  • Like 1

Wonder when The Taxpayer Sub team will be releasing the subs for Ep2 to Ep4?

I m watching it raw at this point but i think I may have to binge watch the series when ALL the eps are subbed at a future time. Having such a long lag time between subbed episodes causes me to forget character names/roles/ranks as the series and characters are all new to me.  Too bad as i am a big fan of Go Ah Sung and i like Im Si Wan. 

• Like 3

Ratings

MBC’s “Tracer,” which airs in the same time slot, just barely maintained its lead over “Through the Darkness”—despite enjoying its own rise in viewership—with an average nationwide rating of 8.0 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1509502wpp/through-the-darkness-ratings-hit-new-all-time-high-for-3rd-episode

I am glad that this drama is doing we well in ratings. I will watch it when we`ll have more subtitles available. I wonder why this drama doesn`t have subtitles like the other shows.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, larus said:

am glad that this drama is doing we well in ratings. I will watch it when we`ll have more subtitles available. I wonder why this drama doesn`t have subtitles like the other shows

I think because they didn’t sell the rights to Viki or Viu?  Usually when that happens the subs happen fast because they have teams to do it.  It’s a real pity because I really like it so far.  I tried to watch Ep2 with the machine subs and it was hard to follow.  But I really like both leads.  They are doing a great job.  And the story is interesting because it’s obvious that DJ (SiWan’s character) is hatching a grand plan to take down the big bad conglomerate PQ.  He’s working his way through it meticulously.  It took him 4years to get to Division5 after working his way up the NamJoo branch.  He’s determined and unwavering in his focus.  And SiWan is smart in real life so it’s not a reach at all to see how quick witted he is and thinks on his feet.  He’s also got this manic twinkle in his eye (thanks to Strangers from Hell) which gives me the shivers because I wonder how far he will take this quest of his.  Go AhSung’s character acts almost like a conscience in his team.  I get the feeling she will temper his desire for vengeance somewhat.  She’s unafraid to challenge him.  I like that about her.  She stands her ground.  

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, nrllee said:

I think because they didn’t sell the rights to Viki or Viu?  Usually when that happens the subs happen fast because they have teams to do it.  It’s a real pity because I really like it so far.

I was looking forward to watch it because I thought it wil be interesting. I hope there will be subtitles in the end. I can wait.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 1/20/2022 at 11:15 PM, LittleHuman2709 said:

Thank you so much for the link. I had trouble understanding within the first few minutes of the first episode so I was not satisfied at all :( 

Here’s my very obtuse version of Ep1 (I struggled too because everything was happening so fast and new people were being thrown into the drama left right centre).

- SiWan’s (DongJu) dad was a whistleblower at his company PQ.  They were obviously doing dodgy underhanded stuff to avoid paying taxes etc.  He tried to bring this to light. They won in the court case against him (not sure how but they are powerful) and he ended up in prison for 8years.

- DJ was a teen then.  His mother was sick and probably passed away whilst his dad was in prison.  He ended up in various orphanages as a result.  He did study hard and made something of himself.  He blamed his father for taking up a fight against a big corporation despite his chances of winning being minimal.  As a result, it impacted the future of their family.  He couldn’t understand why his father couldn’t just let all the discrepancies and “creative accounting” slide.

- As an adult, he was an ace accountant at a company that helped these large corporations dodge tax.  That’s why he had that angry exchange with his dad at the restaurant telling him that he (DJ) was “helping” companies like PQ do the very thing his dad was trying to fight.

- The opening scene at the car accident site.  DJ was plagued with guilt.  He reminisced about his past treatment of his dad.  He realized that even though he thought his dad was crazy to take on a big company like that (knowing full well it was a fight he couldn’t win), and he hated the fact that he suffered because of his dad’s quest for justice, he felt guilty that he let his dad die alone.  
- what Go AhSung’s character explained at the funeral was that his dad was conducting a tax audit on PQ.  They were trying to find something to incriminate PQ.  His dad’s death was probably the result of him probing too deep into their affairs.  This was confirmed by the contents in the box of his dad’s belongings passed onto DJ.  The man asked if DJ knew who his father was meeting that night (of the accident).  What was strange was that the contents of the folder of PQ were missing.  The cover was still there but all the contents of the folder was gone.  The man said his dad wrote all the records of the lobby groups of PQ in there.  He said it was an item that many people wanted to get their hands on.  The biggest question in DJ’s mind was why his father had this with him that night (of his death)?  Who was he meeting to pass the information to?

- DJ meets with his Prosecutor friend and gives him insider info from the company he is working for.  His friend was suspicious and asked him why he would be committing career suicide like this.  DJ said he knew his friend was trying to prosecute PQ for embezzlement.  He provided info about his accounting firm doctoring the books for 13 other companies.  His friend warned him that DJ would be breaching confidentiality agreements with his employer and his licence as a CPA would be revoked.   But DJ said that he had kept all the big insurance companies fraudulent activities out of it and only given him smaller company frauds.  
- He quits the accounting firm the next day.  Just as his friend passes him in the hallway moving into investigate the firm.   He joins the National Tax Department.  He gets posted to the NamJoo branch and investigates the baseball player.   We later find out that it was because he needed to get into the good books of the Director there (she was present at his dad’s crime scene) and was one of the 2 people he thought looked guilty/upset at the death of his father.  He needed her help to rise up the ranks to get into the HQ.  It looks like he stayed working there with her for 4years before he moved to Div5 of JoonGang Regional Office where he became Team Leader 1. 

- we get introduced to the main players in the HQ. (Too many pics so I put it in a google doc.  Helps me remember who’s who and where they fit)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/1rsKvJxtADwJT3_5ZB6PbXo-Bv7K1wwzf/edit?usp=docslist_api&filetype=msword

• Like 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Thanks 2

On 1/24/2022 at 6:22 PM, backstreetboysfan said:

MBC drama Tracer and SBS drama ThroughTheDarkness will cancel broadcast for three weeks since Feb 4 due to Beijing Winter Olympics.

Maybe this will give subbers time to catch up.  Still waiting for Ep2 to be subbed properly.  Can’t blame the subbers because they are doing it voluntarily.  

• Like 1

MBC-Wavve drama Tracer will end its S1 at EP.8 this week, S2 will be released on Wavve on February 18 with all 8 episodes.

MBC responded that the specific broadcast dates for Tracer S2 is still in discussion. It was reported the drama will cancel broadcast on MBC for three weeks since February 4 due to Beijing Winter Olympics.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ferily said:

Wait so there’s a season two for this drama? :blink:

I get the feeling it’s not really S2.  It’s just your usual 16eps but because of the Winter Olympics MBC are unsure as to whether they will air Ep9-16 (and therefore give those first 8eps the name S1?).  At the moment it looks like they are airing it on MBC and Wavve?  But once the Winter Olympics starts it will just air on Wavve.  I don’t know if it means they will drop all remaining 8eps at the same time or if they will just continue airing it weekly.  It’s confusing to name it S2 (on Wavve) because it didn’t sound like they were going to make this a seasonal drama.  Whatever.  I guess they decided that this was how they were going to promote it moving forward.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, nrllee said:

I get the feeling it’s not really S2.  It’s just your usual 16eps but because of the Winter Olympics MBC are unsure as to whether they will air Ep9-16 (and therefore give those first 8eps the name S1?).  At the moment it looks like they are airing it on MBC and Wavve?  But once the Winter Olympics starts it will just air on Wavve.  I don’t know if it means they will drop all remaining 8eps at the same time or if they will just continue airing it weekly.  It’s confusing to name it S2 (on Wavve) because it didn’t sound like they were going to make this a seasonal drama.  Whatever.  I guess they decided that this was how they were going to promote it moving forward.  

Yes I never thought this drama as a drama with seasons. I was just surprised to hear that they are announcing seasons… What you said makes sense though :) Thanks for the info!

• Like 2

Tracer' Im Si-wan in crisis, will he leave the National Tax Service as it is? hidden anticipation

news_1643344178_1078620_m_1.jpeg

On the afternoon of the 28th, in the 7th episode of the MBC Friday-Saturday drama 'Tracer', the head of the 5th tax bureau, Hwang Dong-joo (Im Si-wan), who is in danger of being fired, and In Tae-joon (Son Hyun-joo), the head of the Central Regional Tax Office, and Oh Young (Park Yong-woo), the head of the 5th tax department, surround him. A sharp nerve war ensues.

Hwang Dong-ju, who had previously notified the tax audit schedule to the loan company Gold Cash and received a large amount of loan in return, was suspended. In the preview video for the 7th episode, Oh Young firmly turns away from Hwang Dong-joo, and In Tae-joon is amplifying anxiety by answering Noh Noh-joo (Kim Kook-hee)'s question about whether he will stand by his resignation as it is.

Hwang Dong-ju lowered his head as if frustrated rather than confident in his usual self-confidence at the disciplinary committee, suggesting that he was driven into an unusual crisis.

In addition, Oh Young, who received a proposal from Hwang Dong-ju to hold his hand, coldly turns his back. Attention is focused on whether the cooperative relationship between the two people will go wrong, or whether Hwang Dong-ju's plan to use Oh Young to bring down In Tae-joon will fail.

Next, Hwang Dong-ju, who leaves the office of the 5th tax bureau as if resigning, was caught, causing regret. Hwang Dong-ju, the best matchmaker of the National Tax Service, is getting more curious about whether the main broadcast will fall into his trap and retreat as it is. Broadcast at 9:50 p.m.

(Google translate)

https://m.dailian.co.kr/news/view/1078620

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1