[Drama 2022] Big Mouth ◈ 빅마우스

Maetawinz

So, last chance to make predictions for the ending. Happy? Sad? Something in between?

My guess is that they will achieve their aims on the Big Mouse end and defeat that horrible mayor. I dunno if Chang Ho will will the election but he will take down Choi Doha for sure. They will absolutely succeed in exposing all the corruption and the chemical/medical issues, and then I think Chang Ho will give up his position in that organization. What I don't know about is Miho. I don't feel like one hour is enough to pull off a happy ending in her situation. (Her situation will help their efforts, though.) So I predict the ending will be somewhat bittersweet. 

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

Hmm… Watched ep 15 and this drama is good but not as good as it was up until ep 12. 
When the identity of Big Mouse was revealed it went downhill and is a bit too makjangish in my opinion. Agree with @Yinye’s earlier comment.

Too many new plot elements were introduced in the last episodes and am worried they won’t be able to tie all loose ends up in the last episode. 

Jerry who seemed to have been the perfect person to be revealed to be the ultimate Big Mouse in the end and the one who saved Chang Ho because of their link to the same orphanage, seems to have been relegated to just being a cameo character.

What a waste of good plot potential and a shame for the talented Kwak Dong Yeon - who was in the posters for this drama but had less screen time than people who weren’t on the poster. :rage:

@Sleepy Owl said that this is not as bad as the downfall of Flower of Evil in the end, but I do not agree. The Big Mouth writers had a good run up until ep 12 - hopefully next time they might be able to make the last 4 episodes equally thrilling and logical as the first 12.

<end of rant> 

49 minutes ago, frozentundra said:

So I predict the ending will be somewhat bittersweet

My prediction as well. 

• Like 4

I just watch ep 15 and am annoyed at how drastic they made Miho’s illness. She went into the tunnel once whereas the psycho prisoner that saved her did multiple work trips and was able to live in prison for a long while w/o proper treatment.

But for Miho, already acute stage 4!!!! Also, why is she NOT telling Chang Ho and her father. The writings intentionally milking this makes me mad because this wasn’t necessary at all - she was such a strong character and now she has to be the trigger to keep Changho to continue on as BM but a more good and benevolent one. They didn’t have to write it like this - it’s too Kdrama troupe with a major illness.  

The whole episode also kept on repeating the will contest and fighting between the annoying side characters. I do not want to see fake tears of Mayor D ever again lol Ditto with Jihoon’s tantrums and acting up and running to as for BM’s help. I don’t feel sorry for Junhee, D’s wife anymore either. Enough already!! The bad guys had more screen time than our OTP lol!!!!

We’ll have one more episode to wrap things up…I hope they do it well but going in with lowered expectations. I also do agree that KDY was so under utilized and would have liked him to have a more prominent role than the annoying bad guys. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm surprised Jerry has sort of floated to the background now. I feel like his thread sort of has drifted away.

I also had a hard time believing that ONE TIME in that tunnel would produce such acute illness, I actually googled to find out if it was even possible. I guess with a strong enough burst of radiation, yes, it's possible to suddenly get leukemia, and an acute case really can finish you off quickly. But in terms of storytelling, it just comes out of nowhere and seems a bit unbelievable (even if it can in reality happen). Probably because as @Yinyepointed out, others were in and out of there a lot, and it took much longer for the condition to develop. (I also questioned at the time why anyone in their right mind, much less a nurse who knows it's a contaminated area, would rush into such a place, but ummm it's a drama, so characters are bound to do stupid and dramatic things, right?) 

In thinking about the ending, I am now remembering that while this show may be on MBC/Disney now, it originated on TVN, which brought us endings such as

Spoiler

Twenty-Five Twenty-One and Alchemy of Souls

:expressionless: So I feel the main plotline will be well resolved, but at great personal loss.

(That said, I thought Yoona did a great job with her character's emotions. I've only ever seen her in one other drama and it wasn't one particularly focused on feeeeeeelings, so I have been pleased to see how she's brought her character to life. Good casting. I was already a long time LJS fan, so I expected and have been glad to see his wonderful acting after such a long time off screen.) 

• Like 4

Girls’ Generation’s YoonA Steps Up To Play Husband Lee Jong Suk’s Biggest Supporter In “Big Mouth”

Girls’ Generation’s YoonA Steps Up To Play Husband Lee Jong Suk’s Biggest Supporter In “Big Mouth”

Sep 17, 2022
by L. Kim

Lee Jong Suk And Girls’ Generation’s YoonA are ready to pour out everything they have to win this heated battle against Kim Joo Heon!

“Big Mouth” is a hard-boiled noir drama starring Lee Jong Suk as Park Chang Ho, a third-rate lawyer who winds up in charge of a murder case that turns him overnight into a genius con artist known as “Big Mouse.” In order to survive and protect his family, including wife Go Mi Ho (YoonA), the “big-mouthed” lawyer must expose a huge conspiracy among the privileged upper classes.

Spoilers

Previously, Park Chang Ho ran for mayor of Gucheon and planned to fight against Choi Do Ha (Kim Joo Heon) and the NR Forum. However, Choi Do Ha, who previously expressed his intention to enter the central politics as a member of the National Assembly, suddenly registered as a candidate for the mayor of Gucheon. The two are expected to experience intense confrontations, causing viewers to be on the edge of their seats.

In newly released stills from the final episode, Park Chang Ho and Choi Do Ha are locked in a fierce war of nerves on a TV debate for mayor candidates. Park Chang Ho’s gaze is icy, whereas Choi Do Ha is wearing a relaxed expression on his face. The two are surrounded by an invisible wall of tension, piquing curiosity about who will win the debate.

Lee-Jong-Suk-1-1.jpeg

Spoiler

Kim-Joo-Heon-1.jpeg

Lee-Jong-Suk-11.jpeg

More stills show Go Mi Ho burning with more determination than ever. With the “Big Mouse” family, she heads to a fish farm to dig up corruption. On the surface, it looks completely normal, but there’s a firm belief as well as evidence that something unusual is happening there. Despite being diagnosed with leukemia, Go mi Ho does her best to support Park Chang Ho, and expectations are high for her raid on the “fish farm.”

YoonA-4.jpeg

Spoiler

Big-Mouth-1-2.jpeg

Big-Mouth-2-1.jpeg

The final episode of “Big Mouth” will air on September 17 at 9:50 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1545488wpp/girls-generations-yoona-steps-up-to-play-husband-lee-jong-suks-biggest-supporter-in-big-mouth

• Like 1

What was that ending??? They literally rushed it all in the last 3 minutes! The wrongfully imprisoned guy lived longer than Min Ho, can't believe she just died like that!  What the hell!

There was so much talk about Chairman Kang's serial killer son but he was never even revealed, so why bring him up in the first place that was so unnecessary especially if they weren't even going to introduce him. I mean if he's a serial killer isn't he killing people in Texas then too? Also, Chairman's actual cause of death was never revealed either, the inheritance was not sorted out either??

DoHa just dying like that was underwhelming after all the horrible things he did, he just basically gets exposed to the water waste and dies in the pool? Surely that was not suspicious at all and will not get investigated.

So Chang Ho embraced his Big Mouth personality permanently, but did he become the mayor he was the second in line to becoming mayor? Honestly, needed more clarity what his plans now are, I mean his wife died and he's just driving off somewhere. What about Min Ho dad surely he's not sitting around after his daughter passed?

Well glad that Ji Goon turned a new leaf but he wasn't innocent in all this either, I mean they tried to kill Chang Ho ???

Honestly, expected more like maybe Big Mouse is Chang Ho's parent or someone from the orphanage, but nope just random choice, was interested to find out more about his roots but guess there was no point. 

• Like 3
  • Wiggle 1

Haven’t watched the last episode but decided to venture into this thread to read spoilers.

I am not surprised they killed off Miho. The signs were all there.

It was extremely illogical though. Even if you were exposed to severe amounts of radiation, it would have taken years for cancer to develop. 

People who got huge doses of radiation in the Chernobyl accident didn’t acquire cancer until 10-15-20 years later - some never got sick. 
Those who died quickly after the accident, died of radiation sickness - not of cancer. Those are two totally different ailments. 

I give zero points to this part of the plot :unamused:

season 10 episode 22 GIF

• Like 4

Here are the ratings for Episode 16! *Last episode* :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“Big Mouth” Ends On Its Highest Ratings Yet

MBC’s “Big Mouth” went out on a high note!

On September 17, the popular drama starring Lee Jong Suk and Girls’ Generation’s YoonA achieved its highest viewership ratings yet for its series finale. According to Nielsen Korea, the final episode of “Big Mouth” scored an average nationwide rating of 13.7 percent, making it the most-watched drama in its time slot—and setting a new personal record for the hit show.

“Big Mouth” Ends On Its Highest Ratings Yet | Soompi

• Like 4

7 hours ago, partyon said:

It was extremely illogical though. Even if you were exposed to severe amounts of radiation, it would have taken years for cancer to develop. 

I found this illogical as well, so I did some googling. I've known a couple people to die of leukemia (I think the slowly-progressing kind), so I found this a bit suspiciously convenient. However, I turned up things like this: 

"Acute leukemias — which are incredibly rare — are the most rapidly progressing cancer we know of. The white cells in the blood grow very quickly, over a matter of days to weeks. Sometimes a patient with acute leukemia has no symptoms or has normal blood work even a few weeks or months before the diagnosis. The change can be quite dramatic."

Source: https://www.roswellpark.org/cancertalk/201810/how-fast-does-leukemia-develop (This place is a cancer center in New York state.) 

Still, it all developed very quickly in relation to the drama plot.

I also felt there were a lot of loose ends at the end, but I think the main point was to stop Choi Doha, which erm, Big Mouse actually did (even if technically Doha did it to himself). I was glad to see his wife get off the fence (slightly). I guess Chang Ho became a vigilante for justice?? I confess I don't watch much noir, so I don't know if this is the expected kind of ending for that genre. 

On the plus side, it was very well cast and acted. Lee Jong Suk's acting was just so MUCH on every level, wow. He really came back with a bang. I wanted to wipe the horrible smile off the mayor's face every time he was on screen, so he did a great job. And I really was impressed with Yoona's acting--at times sharp and at times heartbreaking (trying to cheer everyone up at the end). Also enjoyed seeing both guys from Crash Landing (Dr. Han and Ji Goon) in such VERY different roles, it really made me forget their past lives as other characters.

• Like 5

For my own sanity I actually had to look up how fast you can die from radiation poisoning because of this drama :lol:

Being exposed to a large enough level of radiation can cause instant death... but

Spoiler

CH would have been exposed to it too. Plus, that high of a dose means he should have had like blisters or something. Doha's death was really rushed and kind of meh for me. Was it good karma, yes... but I wanted CH to drown him or lock him up in that hospital. It just seemed way too easy killing him in that pool. He needed to suffer. 

- People exposed to radiation at small amounts over a long period of time live longer.

- People exposed to a large amount in a short time, die faster.

** This is the same for area of exposure. Whole body exposure means a faster death than localized exposure. 

That being said...

Spoiler

Miho dying quicker than some of the prisoners actually makes sense. A lot of the prisoners that were exposed to small amounts at a time. Miho was soaked. It would have entered her blood stream through her eyes, mouth and skin so she was exposed to a much larger dose at once (the others in the tunnel had protective suits on). 

I think they went for the shock value and ended up rushing the ending. I was so confused when I saw there were only 10 minutes left and so much to cover. What was wish the weird black and white and flashing images at the end? It was jarring and really out of place. It felt ... lazy?

They just .. really rushed, and it feels like they realised they could have a season 2 and didn't bother to wrap up loose ends. I was a little disappointed (and super dizzy with how fast everything was at the end).

Actually no... not a little, it was really disappointing. This drama had so much potential. I just wish they had done more research (especially on radiation sickness vs radiation exposure causing cancer).

Re the ending:

- I liked was that Miho is fighting for justice and contributing to bringing down the bad guy but like I said, i wish it wasn’t at the expense of her death. Dad disappeared - what happened to him?!?! 

- Miho’s announcement on TV is so Makjang

- Agreed that the show lost so much momentum after ep 13 and these last episodes were so anti-climatic and super predictable. Just realized that all the female characters are dead, dying, or locked-up and abused.

- The ending isn’t bitter sweet for me because we all knew this was the route it was gonna go since Miho got sick and told him to be a good BM as I have said - it didn’t have to be like this etc.

- LJS’s role even during these last episodes was also minimal, when he was the central POV character

- D died so quickly lol like what - ohh the water in the pool lol hahhahaha ok I admit I enjoyed this little bit

Overall it was an entertaining drama especially the first third. I will look forward to LJS’s new drama as always.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Ok so why is the title Big Mouth instead of Big Mouse? We only heard Big Mouth mentioned for  like one minute in the first episode whereas Big Mouse was all over the place? 

I think it’s because Big Mouth became the Big Mouse etc 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, partyon said:

Totally understandable lol and true re comparison with 25-21

Edited by Yinye
  • Wiggle 1

“Big Mouth” Producers Respond To Questions About Possibility Of A Season 2

“Big Mouth” Producers Respond To Questions About Possibility Of A Season 2

Sep 18, 2022
by E. Cha

The producers of MBC’s “Big Mouth” have officially responded to questions regarding the possibility of a second season of the hit drama.

“Big Mouth,” a noir drama starring Lee Jong Suk and Girls’ Generation’s YoonA, aired its highly-anticipated finale on September 17. Even though the episode wrapped up most of the story, some viewers speculated that the series had intentionally left open the possibility of a second season.

On September 18, the producers of “Big Mouth” responded by cautiously telling StarNews, “We think it’s too soon to be discussing Season 2.”

They went on to add, “We’ll work hard to try and return with a good project.”

Meanwhile, the finale of “Big Mouth” achieved the highest viewership ratings of the drama’s entire run.

Would you be interested in seeing “Big Mouth” return for a second season?

https://www.soompi.com/article/1545547wpp/big-mouth-producers-respond-to-questions-about-possibility-of-a-season-2