[Drama 2021] Melancholia ♾️ 멜랑꼴리아

Maetawinz

First Impressions: 5 Things We Loved And 1 Thing We Hated About The “Melancholia” Premiere

First Impressions: 5 Things We Loved And 1 Thing We Hated About The “Melancholia” Premiere

Nov 16, 2021

Melancholia” is a new tvN series airing on Wednesdays and Thursdays, and we are very excited. The series is a romance drama surrouding two people who share a love for math. The director Kim Sang Hyub is notable for his projects “Extraordinary You” and “True Beauty,” so we already knew that he would do a good job of making the series engaging and interesting. Curious to know what we thought of the first two episodes? Keep reading to find out!

Warning: Minor spoilers ahead!

1. LOVED: Lee Do Hyun

lee-do-hyun3.jpeg

This man is going to go places in the industry. In such a short period of time in his acting career, he has managed to star in a series of successful projects and has won awards recognizing his remarkable acting abilities despite his little experience. Just this year, he was praised for his role as medical student Hwang Hee Tae in the series “Youth of May.”

In “Melancholia,” Lee Do Hyun plays Baek Seung Yoo, a math prodigy and student who develops strong feelings for his math teacher. His character has some past trauma that he is finding difficult to move past from. On top of this, he is feeling an immense amount of pressure from his parents and the public as he was once spotlighted as a math genius when he was younger.

Needless to say, we can look forward to the development of his character and how much he will evolve. There is a lot to uncover in terms of how he will learn to accept his past as well as move forward to unlock his full potential with the gift he was given.

Spoiler

lee-do-hyun-1.jpeg

2. LOVED: The premise of the story

This story revolves around math, and although that can sound a bit dull, this series does a good job of making it everything but. The writer of the series does a brilliant job of explaining the complexities of human emotions with the subject of math. The analogies and metaphors used are powerful and help viewers to understand the inner thoughts of the characters and what they are feeling. The director had also mentioned that he felt it was a duty to show the soft emotions that go with the storyline as well as showing the powerful narrative in the script. Although not the most exciting of topics, the series connects with viewers on an emotional level that will have you engaged.

Spoiler

melancholia21.jpeg

3. LOVED: The connection that is formed between the two

Baek Seung Yoo and Ji Yoon Soo (Im Soo Jung) are able to understand each other in ways that other people in the real world can not comprehend. In a dark point in his life, Seung Yoo is able to find someone who can help him sort out his thoughts and feelings through math. It is an outlet that he needs in order for him to deal with his past trauma. Their relationship is pure and warm, which is a vibe that the director wanted to emphasize when casting for these two characters.

melancholia_5.jpeg

The chemistry between Im Soo Jung and Lee Do Hyun is also very apparent in just the first two episodes; their emotions for the script and characters seem to be very evident, which will only make the progression of this story that much more powerful.

Spoiler

lee-do-hyun-im-soo-jung.png

4. LOVED: The deep lines.

“Don’t fall in love with this math problem. The life of a mathematician isn’t happy by solving a certain problem but it doesn’t mean you’ll be unhappy if you can’t solve it.”

Spoiler

melancholia.png

When Yoon Soo reaches out to Seung Yoo and tells him that she wants him to be free of the pressures he faces, Seung Yoo finds solace in her. This is a turning point in his life as he has spent so many years isolating himself, feeling alone and depressed. When Yoon Soo shows him some empathy and understanding, she helps Seung Yoo to uncover his passion for math again, giving him an outlet to express his feelings. She is also able to teach him how to be free of strong emotions with this quote; it gives him a different perspective on life, and it seems at this point he is able to take a small sigh of relief.

5. HATED: The looming scandal

Spoiler

melancholia-1.png

Ji Yoon Soo and Baek Seung Yoo are caught on video spending the early morning together solving a math problem. This becomes a video that Noh Jung Ah (Jin Kyung) potentially uses in order to get rid of Baek Seung Yoo, who is putting one particular student at risk of not being at the top of the school when she has an agreement with her parents. There are a lot of politics involved with the parents and coercion, which makes this imminent scandal that much more dreadful.

Spoiler

melancholia-2.png

6. LOVED: Im Soo Jung

Im Soo Jung plays Ji Yoon Soo, a passionate math teacher who is given a job to work at a private school that is rife with corruption. She meets Baek Seung Yoo there and is able to slowly tear down the walls that he has built up so high over the years.

Spoiler

im-soo-jung3.jpeg

This is Im Soo Jung’s first drama in two years since “Search: WWW.” Her choice in projects is very particular, which is what makes this series that much more exciting. She had mentioned in an interview that while reading the script, she was hit with a wave of emotions which compelled her to continue with the project. Furthermore, the director mentioned that he loves Im Soo Jung’s voice as well as the look in her eyes. He casted her for her overall image and vibe being very innocent and pure. Im Soo Jung’s acting definitely makes the series more appealing and heartwarming – looking forward to seeing Ji Yoon Soo’s relationship with Baek Seung Yoo evolve!

Cr. Soompi

Edited by ferily
Maximum of 3 images per post, please put any other images in spoiler tag. Thanks!
  • Like 3

''Melancholia" and "Reflection of You" Slightly Increased in Ratings But Stays at 2% Range

Wednesday-Thursday dramas remain at the 2% range.

According to Nielsen Korea, a ratings research company on the 18th, tvN’s Wednesday-Thursday drama “Melancholia” which aired on the 17th, recorded a rating of 2.529% (Ep.3).

This is a slight increase from 2.407% (Ep.2) recorded in the previous episode.

Read more: https://kdramabuddy.com/melancholia-and-reflection-of-you-slightly-increased-in-ratings-but-stays-at-2-range/#ixzz7CXMjyGgk

• Like 1

Just saw ep3.... urgh, so low ratings.. Dali and Cocky Prince at most at 5% ratings despite it being a good drama... whats wrong with wednesday and thursdays!

I hope this drama will have better ratings in future episodes to come... Fighting!

Ep4 twitter updates look great, cant wait for the subbed episode...

Did he solve and prove Teacher Ji's father theory was correct??? :heart:

He is definately falling for her...and why not, only she could see the special him... 

• Like 2

WoW this thread is so dead.

In comparison to Song Hye Kyo's currently airing "Now We're Breaking Up" (which is a dud btw) also I want to add that the thread is super toxic. It's more a fan shipping thread for the actress than an actual thread for discussion.

Ye Rin caught Yoon Soo sleeping on Seung Yoo's shoulder. I'm afraid she's goin' to blackmail him with it. I applaud Lee Do Hyun for portraying Seung Yoo's trauma so convincingly. Still don't know what's the backstory to it other than someone close to Seung Yoo committed suicide(?) And he gets very triggered by mention of the word "special".

It looks like Seung Yoo is developing feelings for his teacher and who could blame him? Now her job could be at stake. The exhibit at Jeju Island was scenic & magical... wished they had somethin' similar over here.

• Like 4

The way they take everything for granted, and manipulate the whole educational system according to their whims. Also the lives of the kids that they are knowingly and unknowingly destroys.

I do ship them I hope they get together when he is older (Time jump), I don't like her boyfriend.

The trip to the Gallery, Cliff and the trip as a whole was really calming! It's really admirable how he worked hard to get pass through his trauma or tried to, and went on to the stage with a brave heart and strong determination. He really loves Math, and doesn't want neither his hard work nor her support to go to waste.

• Like 3

“Reflection Of You” Ratings Rise + "Melancholia" Drops to 1%

Meanwhile, Lee Do Hyun and Im Soo Jung‘s new tvN drama “Melancholia” dipped to an average nationwide rating of 1.6 percent for its fourth episode

Read more: https://kdramabuddy.com/reflection-of-you-ratings-rise-melancholia-drops-to-1/#ixzz7CdcbPE1i

• Like 1

The drama to be unfold...

Is YeRin dad having an affair with the school principal?

In all honesty, i wasnt a fan of LDH even at Hotel Del Luna, coz i was shipping the main leads then..... then Youth of  May  he was handsome but i didnt finish the drama, somehow and knowing its a sad ending.

. so im watching this drama because of ISJ... and i like the story and hope it will have a good ending despite netizens protests!

• Like 3

@realistic2280a

Those were my thoughts as well. 'Cause the damn wife pointed out how expensive/limited edition the item was. I can' t wait for her to find out just to see her realize her life isn't all that she imagined it'd be. She's just so unlikeable & maybe that's shaped Ye Rin to be the way she is tsk aish. 

K-dramas are good at making antagonist characters likable or to get the viewer to empathize. In this drama, the principal is pitted against her sis by their dad. 

The way she told Yoon Soo not to give Asung students false hopes & the hidden meaning behind the bonsai plant gift. 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2021 at 12:14 AM, Latte_Anyday said:

@realistic2280a

Those were my thoughts as well. 'Cause the damn wife pointed out how expensive/limited edition the item was. I can' t wait for her to find out just to see her realize her life isn't all that she imagined it'd be. She's just so unlikeable & maybe that's shaped Ye Rin to be the way she is tsk aish. 

K-dramas are good at making antagonist characters likable or to get the viewer to empathize. In this drama, the principal is pitted against her sis by their dad. 

The way she told Yoon Soo not to give Asung students false hopes & the hidden meaning behind the bonsai plant gift. 

Indeed... film star and politican father obsessed with their child's success... sometimes this is normalised in society with high inequality that its hurt to see.. sigh... 

Funny in the other website that i saw, saying LDH fans defending him as the drama  ep4 ratings dropped to 1.6... (im not LDH's fan and im defending this drama).... several making judgements when they havent even seen the freaking drama!!!

Who in their right mind would say that LDH is a minor in that drama! He looks huge as a college student!... they need to see why he has a crush on his teacher!...and why she hasnt even has  that feelings towards him!!..... 

do they think kids lived in sheltered lives now?? Teenage male kids in the 21st century???  That they dont know what romance, flirting or sex is??? Maybe ur average village bumpkin.. but not an advanced country like Korea!!

Grow up ! See the drama before making judgement.... Sigh... 

• Like 2

Quick Poll- K-Drama Seasons

Chingus, it is time to get warm and cozy this winter.  We are already anticipating the next season of many of our favourite K-dramas, do take a moment to vote for your favourite K-drama with multiple seasons. Don't forget to let us know which drama you wish to see the second season of. :dorakiss:

re:  Your friendly and most favourite EO team : @partyon @Sleepy Owl @agenth and @confusedheart